Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anniversary

Blog Entries

Default Anniversary

Time been slipping by. November 1 was day I came full time, 12 years ago. November 3rd, is John Waynes 27th here, but he ain't here.

Dragging my feet, leaving but trying to enjoy the last moments. My Dogs, the Beaches, Great Food.......
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: Anniversary

There is so much about Nicaragua that can burrow into your soul. I have to tear myself away every time.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Time been slipping by. November 1 was day I came full time, 12 years ago. November 3rd, is John Waynes 27th here, but he ain't here.

Dragging my feet, leaving but trying to enjoy the last moments. My Dogs, the Beaches, Great Food.......
    Say it ain't so...............

They say you can never go back......whoever "they" are......wherever "back" is.

Who will spike your bananas?

Who will provide solace and comfort for all those back packing co-eds from Scandinavia?

Who will Ike talk to?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

At the 2 or 3 year mark I realized there were probably better places to be but my wife declined the offer to move her and her 2 minor children to Panama.
    At about the 7 year mark I realized that when you are working Time is your limit, you have to get back to work. When you are retired Money is your limit, whether for travel or hobbies. It sucks, especially when you figure out that life here is no great bargain financially. Too much second rate crap, to much aduanas, crappy public utilities, crappy roads...

Now in year 12 the current crisis make me think of the old tale about how it is hard to remember you came to drain the swamp when you are up to your elbows in alligators. You can't help but think about leaving, if for no other reason people keep asking. The first things I think about are that my dogs and gardens would all die. The people you can keep in touch with by email and facebook and come for a visit if the flights ever get better.

The 8 year old escapee in the family reports that there are no zancudos or flies in espana. That would be nice, but I don't know if at my age I would want to start over in another foreign country. Then again, Cdmx, Puebla, and Alajuela keep popping into mind...

But next time I would be a little smarter. I would rent instead of buy and concentrate on having fun. Taking a place like Nic serious is a bad mistake. It's not real, it's just a fuzzy dream.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Nicaragua has always been about the promise
    "If only . . . ."

Nicaragua worked well for many. A retiree in Granada or SJdS doesn't deal with transito, for example.

I'd traveled a lot in Mexico (still do), and really like it,, but I had this weird idea of a farm . . . .People are expensive in Mexico, and cheap in Nicaragua.
    I'm still happy with my decision. It's peaceful where I am. I am fascinated with the political situation.

Whither Nicaragua? I have some ideas,, but do know that this site -and maybe the country- will not be the same without the Dog Whisperer.

Blog Entries

I'm still happy with my decision. It's peaceful where I am. I am fascinated with the political situation.

I might be happy about Nica too if like you I was not here. You can only read about it, not feel and live it.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

What transito? The ticket traps are gone, they have higher priorities now! The tranque site in Esteli is now a used car lot--with police protection.
    There is a malaise over the country now. You cannot feel it from abroad but it is here. It's like back in the Rust Belt recession for me and a lot of others, but it is permanent and it bites!

Blog Entries

I might be happy about Nica too if like you I was not here. You can only read about it, not feel and live it.
    Why then, are you leaving?

Blog Entries

Come spend a few months, you will understand.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Big difference between internet experts and on the ground idiots.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Whatever, Kevin.

But,, don't you think it's going to change? Ortega is increasingly isolated,, everywhere,, and without fresh dollar inputs,, the economy will contract and the Cordoba will devalue. Nicaragua is uniquely vulnerable to economic measures.

Yes, there will be pain, and it won't be shared proportionately.

But when it turns,, investment will be significant, missionaries will flood back (woo woo).

Do you want to miss that?

Blog Entries

We are staying for the foreseeable future. After about the first 2 months I never believed in the Camelot crap about Nic. My wife is stressed out with flashbacks to the war, etc. but I only get flashbacks to boring crappy civilian jobs I have had. Ho hum.
    Being trapped in the ghetto for a couple months during the tranques was tough, but I tried to find things to do, like straighten up 12 years of computer files. We're going to need a bunch more tranques to finish that mess.

My latest thing is I taught myself how to grow anthurium plants from seeds. whud'a thunk, they are epiphytes so you grow the seeds on top of a sterile medium with high humidity and filtered light. Last year I grew some mano de piedra the same way.

Life goes on but you have to keep telling yourself to find something positive to do, and watch your back.

Blog Entries

Ortega is increasingly isolated on the anti-Ortega media. On the ground he is in control. I think the cartels will come back bigger than the missionaries. Dream on, Pirate.
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    But,, don't you think it's going to change? Ortega is increasingly isolated,, everywhere,, and without fresh dollar inputs,, the economy will contract and the Cordoba will devalue. Nicaragua is uniquely vulnerable to economic measures.

Yes, there will be pain, and it won't be shared proportionately.

But when it turns,, investment will be significant, missionaries will flood back (woo woo).

Big difference between internet experts and on the ground idiots.

Well,, don't leave until I get there,, end of November. Why not spend some time on the farm before you go?

You can stay in Krisnia's room.
    It's empty now

I have a friend who finally gave up and took a job in Panama. She was offered a government job, but would have to participate in Sandi demonstrations .

She told them no.

Ortega is in control, but his control smacks of desperation. He seems determined to destroy the country before he leaves.

I know that it's depressing right now,, and it will get worse before it gets better. When people don't have jobs and can't feed their sick kids there will a lot of anger.

No transito?!? It would be so great to drive to PriceSmart without being stopped two or three times.

About a month ago I was taking a line from a Buffet song, “Looking back at my background, tryin’ to figure out how I ever got here” and figured out that from 2006 through August of 2017 I spent 86% of my time in Nicaragua, mas o menos. And a large percentage of the 14% had Nicaragua in at least the subject line. I left due to work issues in August of last year and have only been back 3 times, the latest in May of this year. In June I took the decision to NOT proceed with opening another facility in Nicaragua for a group that I had sold Nicaragua on. It was a terribly hard decision for me because that is where my professional and recently close friends are now for the most part, and I love Nicaragua and Nicaraguans.

Somebody mentioned that Nicaragua has always been about the promise. I would say that this is not precisely so, what I would say the appeal of Nicaragua is or was, was the participation in the perceived resilience of nation and people of the nation. Currently and for the near future that resilience is trampled and done for. The future is one of hunkering down and surviving as best possible. The comparison to the rust belt is very apt in my opinion, save for there are not the safety nets and economic escape mechanisms of the rust belt. The great experiment in Nicaraguan democracy failed and was perverted by both the oligarchs on the right and class warmongers on the left.

In the process to ensure the rebirth of the halcyon of days of the genteel landed gentry the resurgent ruling class failed to bring about an inclusion of a broad segment of the populace into the better times and this did nothing but give further credence to the FSLN which has as its power the woes and laments of the impoverished. This all a bad mix. What I believe that we are all seeing is the 2.0 version or the “To be continued” of the end of the 79’ revolution. The time in between was a temporary truce or experiment, a regrouping if we will of the harsh left. That left has not run its course yet in Nicaragua and I am afraid that when it does the result will be one of dire dysfunction and destruction in the sense of a further under developed country.

Just like Nicaragua missed the technological and educational revolution of the 80’s and part of the 90’s, it is going to yet again miss part of a time period that it can ill afford.

Thus, to me leaving Nicaragua makes sense, especially for those on the plateau or downside of life. The best situation to be in, in Nicaragua is to have external income in foreign currency. If someone has that they will probably be OK economically, maybe not in terms of comforts and safety. Thus when it is all mixed up and then sorted out, is the juice worth the squeeze? The answer will be different for everyone.

Nicaragua as a country, as a society, and as a culture really is weak. Historically interest groups, political groups, and societal groups have always relied on foreign support and intervention for any type of action or change. Now is no different. The FSLN wouldn’t be shit today without the 7 to 10 years of Venezuelan money. The right is so disorganized and selfish that they aren’t shit without US support. Same back in 79’, just change Venezuela for Russia or Cuba, etc. Go back to the USMC days in Nicaragua, they were asked to intervene. There is too much other big time stuff going on in the world for pissant Nicaragua to truly matter and thus the country is gonna immigrate and or suffer or both. I hope I am wrong, I really do. But the formula and predicted/expected steps point to not favorable returns.

I hope Kevin and all those there come out OK and are safe. But getting while the getting is still good is probably the best upside bet.

No transito?!? It would be so great to drive to PriceSmart without being stopped two or three times.
    Not what I have heard, at least in Managua. I have heard they are tearing peoples wallet a new outlet with the threat of "investigating" them along with the typical bullshit.

Blog Entries

Like I said at the beginning of this thing, a country can only shoot itself in the foot so many times before it does some permanent damage. They naively gave away their country in July of 1979 and there is little chance they will ever get it back.
    For expats it's a sit and wait game hoping it doesn't end up in a shooting war before we kick the bucket from old age.

Blog Entries

Things are shitty on the Coast right now, but that has more to do with lack of Lobster than the situation, normal ebb and flow for here.

I was in Managua and Granada last week, there you see it and feel it. Earlier post described it as a malaise and that is about as good a term as there is. That is what you are mnot getting reading the news, the feeling. Entire dynamics of the Country have changed.

A small example, family that sells sliced fruit behind the Church in Granada, now they start selling an hour or 2 later than they used to. People believe it is unsafe early, same as night.

The number of people who lost jobs is staggering, and those jobs are not coming back anytime soon. I am in awe how many people I know that have lost or are expecting to lose their job.

Impossible to get the true feeling through the internet, no matter how well connected you are with people here. At home not such a problem, I have my own little World here, but occasionally I have to get on the road.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

You are assumming a stable Government takes over. That is a big assumption, and who gets to be the next Dictator.

Other "little" problem, Daniel ain't going to leave.
    Last edited by cookshow; 11-04-2018 at 01:42 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Common sight in Granada now. Great deals on Hotels.

Upload keeps failing, sign advertising rooms 50% off.
    Last edited by cookshow; 11-04-2018 at 01:19 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Whatever, Kevin.
    Spend a week here every few years, your finger must be right on the pulse... whateverer Tom....
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Spend a week here every few years, your finger must be right on the pulse... whateverer Tom....
    My question was and is legitimate. It was not meant to challenge you. I was simply looking for more information about your plight.

As for my finger, I think you know where it is right now.

Blog Entries

Come spend a month and then report.
    Ernie K Doe

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast