Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anniversary

Default Re: Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Things are shitty on the Coast right now, but that has more to do with lack of Lobster than the situation, normal ebb and flow for here.

I was in Managua and Granada last week, there you see it and feel it. Earlier post described it as a malaise and that is about as good a term as there is. That is what you are mnot getting reading the news, the feeling. Entire dynamics of the Country have changed.

A small example, family that sells sliced fruit behind the Church in Granada, now they start selling an hour or 2 later than they used to. People believe it is unsafe early, same as night.

The number of people who lost jobs is staggering, and those jobs are not coming back anytime soon. I am in awe how many people I know that have lost or are expecting to lose their job.

Impossible to get the true feeling through the internet, no matter how well connected you are with people here. At home not such a problem, I have my own little World here, but occasionally I have to get on the road.
    The anxious malaise is what I felt for the last 2 months that I spent in Managua (April and May) before I decided that things were heading towards a bad end. It's an almost palpable aura that hangs heavy in the air--like humidity. It's a very difficult thing to put into words or to describe to people who aren't within it. It is so obvious and omnipresent for those who are in it that it almost doesn't need to be put into words. It took up residence in the Nicaraguan zeitgeist with the murdered students, and as far as I can tell it hasn't left since.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Spend a week here every few years, your finger must be right on the pulse... whateverer Tom....
    What I, and probably Tom, don’t understand is where the thinly veiled hostility is coming from. Nobody here is presuming to have their finger on “the pulse.” This isn’t NicaLiving.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    What I, and probably Tom, don’t understand is where the thinly veiled hostility is coming from. Nobody here is presuming to have their finger on “the pulse.” This isn’t NicaLiving.
    Ever wonder why nobody in Nica seldom posts here anymore...
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think there is a general recognition of failure in the country. Whether you are a communist or a democrat, all is not well and there is little hope on the horizon for either side. Failure is depressing by its own nature.

Life goes on, people go about their business as best they can. A friend predicts that the troublemakers will be rounded up and all will be well by June. Not all agree, especially the people who proudly think of themselves as vandalicos.

The economy is hurting but not dead. The sanctions will be annoying but not fatal. Human rights types are a fickle bunch and will find a new windmill to charge. The idea that the Comandante and his lovely Companera will pick up and leave is a unlikely now as it ever was.

Whether this is reason to leave is debatable, a matter of person preference. Whether the gov or circumstances will turn on expats is unknown and unknowable, but not as optimistic as 6 months ago.

Years ago a friend made a comment about businesses. He said at any given time 10% of all businesses are on the verge of selling or closing up. A recession or new regulations doesn't necessarily push them out of business, it just gives them the push to do what they were already thinking of doing. Same with expats. If I didn't have home and family I would have left a long time ago for QOL. It is just too damn much work and expense to be retired in Nic! So far, la situacion just magnifies the poor QOL, it didn't create it.

I think part of the confusion in the above posts is that Cookshow was quoting Pirate and this was misinterpreted as Cookshow's opinion. My opinion, the political situation is not "fascinating" It is sad.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

I know the source of hostility. It wells from the disappointment we all feel from the destruction of the Nica economy. And from the completely needless deaths.
    Especially the children.

We all knew Nicaragua was a dictatorship. So did most educated Nicaraguans.

We'd also come to grudgingly respect Ortega for his ability to survive.
    What he did after April was heinous,, but , more importantly, completely unnecessary.

I suspect the frustration and disappointment are directly proportionate to the depth of investment in Nicaragua's future. I'm not talking money here, although many expat investors have been devastated financially.

Not having a bunch of people post on here is discouraging, but in some ways is a plus. There is a lot of good insight, commentary, and perspective on this thread. None of us have to agree with all of it, but we should respect it.

Anxious malaise
    Well said. That is what I felt starting in May when I was there. I was meeting with government people, all appointed to the Free Zone commission due to historical ties and loyalty to the FSLN, who were/are good folks. Decent people. I would say they are on the aspiring side of the 3rd rung of FSLN power and influence. Publicly they all put on a game face about how this would all be resolved and was nothing more than a typical LatAm blip or dust up. Privately they voiced concern that POS had let this happen and felt that he would straighten the shit out and hammer those that had fucked this up so badly. None of that happened and in my last conversations with them in June and July the malaise voiced on this thread permeated their speech and demeanor. This is something that Nicaragua can ill afford.

We all knew Nicaragua was a dictatorship. So did most educated Nicaraguans.

We'd also come to grudgingly respect Ortega for his ability to survive.
    What he did after April was heinous,, but , more importantly, completely unnecessary.
    Very well said, and a very apt summary of the overall situation. What I will add is that the motherfucker that either let all that shit happen and then was complicit in upping the reprehensible situation did so at the cost of the lives, futures, hopes, and aspirations of millions of Nicaraguans. And the motherfucker could not have given two shits less. The conclusive disappointment in these actions sealed a bad fate for a long period of Nicaragua future. It is like when the supernatural werewolf or vampire comes clean with the nubile young lass and exposes the blood thirsty fangs and claws covered with rotting flesh. It is a horror, one that most could not have imagined. This will eventually seal his fate.

You are assumming a stable Government takes over. That is a big assumption, and who gets to be the next Dictator.

Other "little" problem, Daniel ain't going to leave.
    Absolutely true about the reality of it not being likely a Stable Government could take over. I agree with that lock, stock, and barrel.

I do think POS & Co. are gonna leave, it will happen. And I think it will happen within the next 36 months. The sad reality is that for Jose Seispack of Tona the cure is likely to be more painful and dreadful than the disease. I hope I am wrong, but the historical tea leaves say otherwise. Some times it is better to be oppressed with a full belly and a bottle of FDC than to be free with dirty water to drink and nothing to eat. POS's actions and direction have basically made the end results predictable.

Things are shitty on the Coast right now, but that has more to do with lack of Lobster than the situation, normal ebb and flow for here.

I was in Managua and Granada last week, there you see it and feel it. Earlier post described it as a malaise and that is about as good a term as there is. That is what you are mnot getting reading the news, the feeling. Entire dynamics of the Country have changed.

A small example, family that sells sliced fruit behind the Church in Granada, now they start selling an hour or 2 later than they used to. People believe it is unsafe early, same as night.

The number of people who lost jobs is staggering, and those jobs are not coming back anytime soon. I am in awe how many people I know that have lost or are expecting to lose their job.

Impossible to get the true feeling through the internet, no matter how well connected you are with people here. At home not such a problem, I have my own little World here, but occasionally I have to get on the road.
    Kevin:
    I always appreciate your view on things and I think you read things very well because you are mixing it up with the average Jose. I am no longer there, but I stay in close touch with probably 10 to 12 average Jose & Maria's and infrequent touch with another 10 or so. What you are describing is exactly the feeling I get from my conversations with all of them. Not one of these people, some I have known for 12 years, ever mentioned immigrating, much less immigrating illegally. Now I am queried about advice of how to get through Mexico and the prospects of making it to the states, and if not the states, what about staying in Mexico?

My old housekeeper who I am very close to is the cook/house mother for the Divina Misericordia Parish in Managua, the one that was shot up so badly at the end. She is close to all those priests and has been there for 5 years now. She is a lymphoma survivor and just due to her working for the Papists there, the INSS has cut her off from treatments and checkups. She has related to me some really unpleasant stuff, and I worry for her. I am looking at trying to get her out. But with the typical momma/pappa/sister/aunt/daughter etc. situation it is not as simple as that.

I am curious about what those with means and external contacts on the East Coast think about this situation? The East Coast has always remained somewhat independent in both thought and action. The FSLN yoke has never been entirely put on the folks out there. How much interest, and for lack of a better word loyalty, is there out there to an improved and functional Nicaragua? I am getting the sense that a large segment of the population, in all spectrum's of society and body politic, are just basically fed up and worn out by the ongoing constant Nicaragua bullshit. They basically have Nicaragua fatigue and done investing anymore economic and spiritual capital into the country. They are just getting by.

Blog Entries

Ever wonder why nobody in Nica seldom posts here anymore...
    Most probably left the country. Some seem to prefer Fakebook. Some may fear trouble from the locals. But I’m sure you have the real answer, so spit it out.

Blog Entries

Most probably left the country. Some seem to prefer Fakebook. Some may fear trouble from the locals. But I’m sure you have the real answer, so spit it out.
    Sounding more Fydelish, maybe you got the answer.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    Kevin:
    I always appreciate your view on things and I think you read things very well because you are mixing it up with the average Jose. I am no longer there, but I stay in close touch with probably 10 to 12 average Jose & Maria's and infrequent touch with another 10 or so. What you are describing is exactly the feeling I get from my conversations with all of them. Not one of these people, some I have known for 12 years, ever mentioned immigrating, much less immigrating illegally. Now I am queried about advice of how to get through Mexico and the prospects of making it to the states, and if not the states, what about staying in Mexico?

My old housekeeper who I am very close to is the cook/house mother for the Divina Misericordia Parish in Managua, the one that was shot up so badly at the end. She is close to all those priests and has been there for 5 years now. She is a lymphoma survivor and just due to her working for the Papists there, the INSS has cut her off from treatments and checkups. She has related to me some really unpleasant stuff, and I worry for her. I am looking at trying to get her out. But with the typical momma/pappa/sister/aunt/daughter etc. situation it is not as simple as that.

I am curious about what those with means and external contacts on the East Coast think about this situation? The East Coast has always remained somewhat independent in both thought and action. The FSLN yoke has never been entirely put on the folks out there. How much interest, and for lack of a better word loyalty, is there out there to an improved and functional Nicaragua? I am getting the sense that a large segment of the population, in all spectrum's of society and body politic, are just basically fed up and worn out by the ongoing constant Nicaragua bullshit. They basically have Nicaragua fatigue and done investing anymore economic and spiritual capital into the country. They are just getting by.
    Coast is always, odd man out. Biz here is seafood, Little Island is dependent on Tourism, but most still know to fish.

Autonomy is always a hot topic here, but lot black suit cops here reminding people they are not autonomous.

Why of all years is Lobster shit this year, pain on top of misery. That will turn, always does. Bad timing

Coast got treated real bad last time, no one over here wants to see a war.

Pretty much everyone here has access to remittances so not as bad as other places.
    Ernie K Doe

Coast is always, odd man out. Biz here is seafood, Little Island is dependent on Tourism, but most still know to fish.

Autonomy is always a hot topic here, but lot black suit cops here reminding people they are not autonomous.

Why of all years is Lobster shit this year, pain on top of misery. That will turn, always does. Bad timing

Coast got treated real bad last time, no one over here wants to see a war.

Pretty much everyone here has access to remittances so not as bad as other places.
    Any thought or indication that they, as in The Man, start encroaching on and or taking some of the seafood products? That was done some last time, didn't work out too well for the FSLN, they didn't have the resources to control it. As I understand things, a lot of decent fortunes were made in the 80's out there smuggling, both in and out and both illicit and usually legal products. Wonder if there will be a repeat? With the road access out there and the proximity of Honduras and Colombia/CR it could be an interesting place for stuff to come in to undermine The Man.

Blog Entries

Could elaborate, not the place.

Seafood is safe, the Plants here all have "big" partners.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Sounding more Fydelish, maybe you got the answer.
    There seems to be plenty of FDC over there...

Could elaborate, not the place.

Seafood is safe, the Plants here all have "big" partners.
    Gotcha, understood. That is what I had heard over the years. I also understand that the most reliable and consistent money comes via the States. As with a lot of things, gonna be interesting.

Blog Entries

There seems to be plenty of FDC over there...
    Your last visit in Nica?

Lot of internet expertise...
    Ernie K Doe

Problem with FakeBook,, even someone like Tachito has access to your life history. I remember posting to NicaLiving when I got there ten years ago:
    A Nica IT professional is anyone who can boot a computer and login to his Facebook page"

World has really changed.
    To RGV: the only people who have legitimate asylum claim at the moment,, according to the recent Sessions interpretation of the law are >>> Nicas. The aaylum law specifically describes the persecution Nicaragua is enduring.

The law doesn't talk about domestic violence or gang activity. These were activist interpretations of the law.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asyl..._United_States

http://www.thecourierexpress.com/new...3512920dd.html

Does you friend have family in the US?

Blog Entries

Most of the people I have talked to that are interested in leaving want to go to Europe or Panama.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Your last visit in Nica?

Lot of internet expertise...
    I don't know what your beef is, what's gotten you so pissy, but I'm not and never have written anything pretending to know what "the real Nicaragua" is like from the air conditioned comfort of the US. Are you upset because I didn't come piss away my life savings into a turd world shithole and have everything I worked for stolen? Sorry but that wasn't one of my life's goals.

Blog Entries

No Beef, guess what I see on internet is true, you folks up there get easily offended.

I am lucky, I got the little blue book that lets me go anywhere. 6 million here without that priviledge.

So I keep dragging my feet, watching the Circus, and it has become a Circus.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Facebook is a killer for all forums I guess. Tons of Nica pages on the FB, expats here, there, everywhere. We have a buy, sell, trade page for Islands.

Nobody from Nica was posting before April, the few that did post are still here, and apparantly not scared to post.

Posting more false info, used to it down here, keep up the good work.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Posting more false info, used to it down here, keep up the good work.
    Such as?

Blog Entries

Such as?
    Who are the regular posters you speak of that left or are scared?
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

You know who drops the clicks, aint you.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Honestly I have no clue WTF you're blabbering on about. Too bad El Doc isn't here.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Transito update--asked a relative if he has heard anything and he says a friend just came back from mga and was stopped 4 times. No chit chat, they were looking for money, legit or otherwise. Gee, if they make it too bad they can kill internal tourism just like they killed foreign tourism.

And they never do anything about the trucks going 10kph spewing thick black smoke behind them.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast