Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anniversary

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I spent a couple of days at Las Peñitas this week, rented two rooms at Las Palmeras.
    We were at Rancho del Mar Wednesday, enjoying cocktails while my boy swam in the pool with his uncle and a gaggle of kids. The place was full. Yes, the crowd’s 95% Nica now (few pale-faces). We filled our bellies earlier at Chepe’s in Poneloya - excellent fresh fish & shrimp, and fine Nica suds - $44 for 5½ dinners. The upper deck of that thatched-roofed restaurant was full, so we sat on the mid-level balcony overlooking the crowd swimming in the estero in the clear waters of high tide. From there a boat took two foreign couples over to the Surfing Turtle lodge where it was impossible to get a bed without a reservation last Xmas-NewYear but now, like many Nica hostels/hotels, go mostly empty or have closed. Restaurants get full, most any night, but it’s an all-Nicaraguan scene - and they’re doing a damned good job of faking being happy. We saw the same in Managua at the MetroCentro mall - restaurants & food court packed to overflowing with people who don’t seem to realize the end-of-the-world is near. We have always rented (& I always a tourist, i.e. a ‘guest’) here so we fold in well with the why-worry crowd.

This time around we returned to the real Nicaragua, jodido, in early Nov. We did a little touring. Sadly Granada is nearly dead - only O’Shea’s Irish Pub is keeping La Calzada alive. I blame Granada's near demise on the lack of Ticos (scaredy bureaucrats). Matagalpa, Boaco and Juigalpa are doing well, even thriving in curious ways, and the green mountains are as spectacular as ever. One sees construction everywhere - buildings & highways. Life goes on. Ditto 'having fun'.

at Las Peñitas this week, rented two rooms at Las Palmeras.
    Is that the place that's up for sale on Craig's list?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Medicare has been excellent for Shelley and me. I pay nothing for a Humana Advantage plan. There are some small co-pays, but it's all very affordable.

Install solar, as in becoming self-sufficient? If I had erratic power, I would invest in a battery bank I kept charged from the grid, and a nice 4kw inverter.
    LiFePO4 will be for us - I _MAY_ send a couple panels (100W $170CDN) and a couple batteries down in the Fall 2019 shipment. LiFePO4's can be charged by Lead acid based charge panel and can be discharged almost 90% (rather than the 20% for Lead-acid)

More than likely I will buy and run it up here for a year and send down in 2020 - That way I can learn the quirks and it will appear "used" as it ships.

Canadians just need to maintain residency in (their) province for more than 6 months to maintain full coverage. Not _really enforced though. Although one fellow (Freddy from Chinandega) managed to game the system and get full OHIP maintaining his (owww, owww, my back, my back) workman's compensation for almost 15 years now. Bouncing from Kitchener, to Miami to Chinandega.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 01-05-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A Canadian friend says when he checked out of Revenue Canada he was free of income tax and could get back on medical the day he got back and declared residency. Must be nice. He has no intention of going back and floats around the world with a 10k deductible health policy.

As far as solar, I had the same idea, batteries with one small panel and a charger to top it off. As it stands, our UPS will run the router about 1/2 hour and we have a ton of lights with rechargeable batteries but I want a bigger emergency system.

We are getting our medical kit together as there seem to be a lot of shortages. I had to go to 4 major pharmacies to get some aspirin and some prescription drugs are iffy.

I believe in freedom of the press, etc, etc.. but sure is nice that those manipulative AHs at cien por cien and their mind control muzak are off the air. I think they violated my human rights.

Also, seems Banpro had a falling out with the govmint supposedly due to the McRusky Act. Something like the people with signatory people were on the bad boy list. Guaca time? Seems the employees will be paid in cash just like in the ole days. Does that mean we don't have to stand in line for 90 minutes to get a voucher for every little thing?

Peeple are buying food, before the hollerdays people were lined up out the door at La Colonia. Not buying much else. Banks aren't loaning, go figure--they don't have any money to loan.

Neighbors are circling the wagons and keeping an eye out for criminals. Police do not respond to "tonterias" like armed assault. Guy who occasionally works for us was lastimado in a robbery attempt at the empalme al Rosario in front of the new Ferromax. The whole road from the iron bridge to the Panam and northward are a no-go zone at night if you are a Nica on foot or bici.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Batteries. . .
    A friend refreshed his battery situation with gel cells from China. Not sure what he paid, but I could put you in touch. He's built up a small import export business,, mostly pumps, generators, and those new inverter welders.

The batteries are not designed for true deep cycle service, they are more the type you find in cell towers, 2V cells,, and in earlier land line telephone offices to keep that dial tone up when the power went out.

Gel cells are not as forgiving as flooded LA, but they are also a lot less work. In the designed service, they have a 20+ year life.

Brad brought down a lithium battery from a junked Tesla,, but he wasn't here long enough to do anything with it. It's nice to have someone else inventing the wheel. We're starting to see lithium golf carts, but the price point isn't there yet.

I got 6 years out of my original 16 golf cart batteries, and of those, 4 are keeping the lights on in RobleDal at the moment.
    2 x 2 are in little emergency light plants at employee homes,, 2 more start my big generator, one failed, and 5 more are on trickle charge waiting for a home.

I plan on taking better care of the new 16.

I have 18 x 270 watt panels on the bodega roof. We do energy intensive things like the washer and dryer, bake bread, after 10AM,, but I wouldn't have to.

I constantly research wind, a small wind generator , but for the price I could get 20 x 300 watt panels from my dent and scratch guy in Gilbert, AZ (inventory varies, he had some slightly smoked panels from California last time I checked).

Solar is so problem free, a small wind turbine will always want attention. And, then there's the tower.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    The anxious malaise is what I felt for the last 2 months that I spent in Managua (April and May) before I decided that things were heading towards a bad end. It's an almost palpable aura that hangs heavy in the air--like humidity. It's a very difficult thing to put into words or to describe to people who aren't within it. It is so obvious and omnipresent for those who are in it that it almost doesn't need to be put into words. It took up residence in the Nicaraguan zeitgeist with the murdered students, and as far as I can tell it hasn't left since.
    Walking Man's word still ring true.

Great time to visit, not great to live in.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Been back in Nica for almost 2 months, 1 month traveling around, 1 month in Granada. Things are normal on the surface. Great time for tourists, cheap rooms abound, 1/3 or prior prices.

Coast has Lobster problems, not catching, things not so bright over here, but they are seeing few more travelers and that helps.

Scratch the surface and you find a festering wound. Companies still laying off, the credit downgrade is problematic, NO foreign investment. I am amazed he is keeping it together. Hell, on some days my crazy red and black friend's propaganda makes more sense than the papers.

Had a friend of a friend message me other day about some property here, I inquired around, leave it to the Coast, prices have gone up, on Mainland is fire sale pricing, shake head, rinse, repeat.

I think the new normal is here, he takes 2021, and from there who knows, if he can maintain this stability and the decline is slow, most will not notice.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

How are prices holding up on the islands?
    Any idea?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

I was blown away when I asked a few people, prices are super high, but no buyers. Think this guy that contacted me is a serious buyer, but not at prices I am hearing.

The Coast is always a little Funny.

The road to Bluefields hurt shippers, so they raised prices to make up for the loss, seeing the same in shops here, prices gone crazy, they are selling less so just raise the price to make upp for the loss.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I was blown away when I asked a few people, prices are super high, but no buyers. Think this guy that contacted me is a serious buyer, but not at prices I am hearing.

The Coast is always a little Funny.

The road to Bluefields hurt shippers, so they raised prices to make up for the loss, seeing the same in shops here, prices gone crazy, they are selling less so just raise the price to make upp for the loss.
    Interesting......I guess the law of supply and demand does not apply in a place where "Lead floats and Cork sinks", eh?

Blog Entries

Exactly. Where Lead Floats.....
    Ernie K Doe

My inner pendulum is swinging back towards Nicaragua. Every other time this has happened, I've gone ahead and traveled back to Nicaragua for a year or two--walking around back roads and working on my novels. This time, I'm hesitating, because I keep hearing about problems from my Nicaraguan friends that I keep in touch with via social media.

I would love for these problems to clear up, because if they did, then I would start looking for inexpensive flights. On that vein...if any of you who are still on the ground in Nicaragua are seeing improvements, I'd love to hear about it.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

I left in January, been back 2 months, thinking is more of a visit than a move back. You have mostly Nica friends and daily contacts so you know what is going on. I spent almost 6 weeks on Mainland to get a feel for things.
    ….
    On the surface things are pretty normal, BUT.....

I would not hesitate to visit but be prepared to get sad. Petty crime is up, but safety not a big issue best I can tell.

Tons of rentals in MGA, families have consolidated, and many hauled ass, is a renters market.

Spirit flights still cheap, Southwest flies into Liberia, now and then they have a deal, and free baggage, Interjet a Mexican airline has been cheap to SJO, plus you could layover in Mexico City and eat great food. I missed a great deal on Avianca, I ended up on Spirit, price was too cheap to pass on
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Got a tolerable tickee on american for a visit north. Good flight up, 12.5 hour nightmare back. Might have been better to get a red eye on Copa and sleep on the plane. I am getting to old for this crap. Those who retired here for comfort really got f'd. Those who came here to save the world got what they deserved, umless they ran off to Guate to be a hippy.

At this point I would like to layover in Mexico City permanently, but with the grandkids here we are stuck. Kids are doing well, based on counter cultural talent and work effort and have no desire to leave.

The news you hear in whispers is the news you don't want to hear, but it mostly affects poor nicas and the political class.

Here's for first class tickets on the Titanic....

Blog Entries

Mexico city has 1 of those pod hotels in the airport and airport is in middle of town so a layover there is not too bad. When I was looking interjet to SJO was a 12 hour layover or some mess. Rooms 5 minutes from airport are cheap, and I think the pods are 30ish.

There is the Venezuela Airline here now, Panama City, Caracas, and Cuba, is cheap.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Yeah, I thought of a week layover in Miami, but didn't want to splurge on hotel and rental car. it would have broken up a nightmare day into 2 easy flights. Looked at a week layover in cdmx but it did not work, too pricey. Would have made a nice trip. A big layover in Panama on copa might work, but little to do there and not the cuisine of Mexico.

One of the Fig Newtons of my imagination in moving here was that it would be a convenient base from which to travel. Not so then, worse now. First few years I did the luxury buses from guate to panama, saw some sights but it gets old. The only one that is really cheap and convenient is mga to san jose, the rest were all nuisances you do once for the adventure but don't want to go back.

Blog Entries

On my last trip back from Little Corn, I had decided to leave earlier than anticipated.

So, I caught the 6 am panga to Big Corn, apologized to La Costena for getting on their almost empty plane a few days early and they said no problem and charged me $100 to change my ticket. I am so not happy at this point.

Then I was directed to the wrong airplane and ended up in Bluefields. My luggage was on the other airplane of course.

I finally arrived in Managua and spent another hour finding my luggage.

I figured that this would be a good time to change tickets at AA and then get over to Las Mercedes for some pool time. The very pretty and kind lady at the first class ticket counter did not know how to use her computer and finally informed me that I was fucked for a few days......unless I flew coach. So I said OK, I'll do that. She then charged me $250 to change from first class to coach. Blood pressure is rising to dangerous limits. I paid for the downgrade.

I did not check my bag at that point as I wanted to wash up from the panga trip and change my clothes. I got back to the ticket counter and said "OK....please check my bag" and the original incompetent lady said sure, that will be $40. It was not pretty.....she fled the scene and the manager shows up. The fucking manager had to go and get permission to waive the baggage charge and took another 30 minutes to do it.

At least I got my exit row aisle seat in cabin. I got settled in and 3 teenage girls showed up. Two had seats next to me and they all wanted to sit together. Could I exchange my seat for a middle seat 5 rows back? My laughter MAY have been a bit maniacal and my screaming surely did not help matters, but they got the idea that I was not getting out of my seat. I still don't think that it was appropriate for the flight steward to tie my arms to the arm rest though.

I get to Miami and only then do I realize that my flight to Tampa is for 6:00.....the NEXT morning!

My only option then is to rent a car which is conveniently located about 150 miles from customs. Did I mention that I am 75 with 2 bad knees?

Well, Avis had a car with my name on it. Brand new GMC in lot number 21. Only, there was no car in that spot conveniently located about another mile from the counter. I finally found a car which I am almost sure was the right one and started to leave for home. Except....there was no place to put the key and no directions on how to use anything in the car. Turns out, you can shove the key up your ass and the car will start if you push the right button, put your foot on the brake, and make a donation to the Democratic party.

Finally got home at midnight in a zombie like state. All in all it was a normal trip to paradise.

Blog Entries

La Costena is a miracle to behold. Here is called Fuc**** Costena, I tried to leave 3 days no seats, get a seat to Bluefields and lay up there, get on a FULL plane only to see half dz empty seats.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I have resisted the urge to go to the islands. San Jose cheaper/easier. I've seen bahamas, jamaica, belize and quintana roo, not to mention vung tau and cam rahn. --Yawn-- the sun and sand remind me of the damn desert.

Family cooking up a 3 day/ 2 night outing to the beach. Probably retaliation for my commenting that I have wanted to go to Monteverde ever since I came here. Told them Don Tightwad would pay first 4000 cords for the van/driver then every one for themselves on food and lodging. They are burning electrons looking for a rental house and burning more consulting their personal bankers in the eeuu.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    La Costena is a miracle to behold. Here is called Fuc**** Costena, I tried to leave 3 days no seats, get a seat to Bluefields and lay up there, get on a FULL plane only to see half dz empty seats.
    La Costena has gotten progressively worse in my opinion, although circa 2010 they were actually a pretty friendly airline to deal with. I have to lay some background to this little deal. I had a wiener dog that I rescued in 00', at that time I was between permanent squaws and for the first 3 or so years of our lives together where I went the wiener dog went, she went to at least 8 or 10 Mexican states, drove from Browntown to Chetumal, and visited several places in the states. When I ended up in Nicaragua the 1st time I brought her down with me, she traveled in Cabin and was actually so good at it that she was hardly ever noticed. Back when Continental existed I figured out a cool little scam, I would buy her an in cabin flight and it showed up on the reservation paper and you could get the paper deal printed at the airport. At any time before the flight you could cancel the pet inflight and nobody ever noticed.

I actually stopped buying the deal and would just carry her on, and it was simple once I figured out the Nica rigamarole for arriving with a pet. Well on my first jaunt to Corn Island, Maggie was my beloved wieners name, and she went with me. I asked about it at the La Costena counter and basically they said "no problem" it just counts as your hand baggage. No worries. Or so I thought. The trip out to Big Corn was fine, we spent a few days there, lots of fun. Maggie got into the water to try and eat a rotting bonefish which had a stink that could knock a buzzard off a shit wagon, that was an ordeal. Sorry I digress.

Sooooo, return day to MGA comes about and I show up to get on the plane and am informed that Maggie is a no go. She has to go baggage. Well OK, here we go. I proceed into about a 45 minute harangue with some Costena bitch, both by employer and by origin, and it is doozy. But at the end of the day I guess she wins. Or so she thought. Well amazingly enough when the Da' Plane lands the pilots come in and it is a woman pilot who I had met a few times at the Camino Real. I approach her and ask her if there is a problem if Maggie flies with me, she says "claro que no" and so now I get to tell Da' bitch to kiss my mother loving South Texas ass, Maggie and I are riding up front. Well that woman was so pissed off she turned egg plant purple and away we went.

I lost maggie on Dec. 16th 2017, she was either 18 or 19 years old according the vets. I miss her every day and can't wait to see her again in Valhalla.

I had another dust up with La Costena another time on a big time delayed flight, but they were actually really nice, just very incompetent.

And American Airlines can kiss my bony ass from here to Milwaukee, I would rather walk than fly AA.

Blog Entries

Costena is a sore spot with all here. Can't get a seat for days, but if you sit ass at airport 3 hours the plane comes they let you on and is half empty. Here we all keep an open pass, but in recent years that has been no advantage.

Costena has a few Women pilots, nice to see in a Macho place. 1 of them nearly threw Miskito Alan off 1 flight we were on, she was only 1 back then.

They have laid off at least half their staff, ticket women now unload baggage as well. Employees are understandably pissy (on a good day),and they are passing it on to the customer.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Never been to the Corns, but I’ve tasted Caribbean waters, while biting a snorkel. Been to Roatan after waiting out the rains in La Ceiba. Lived in a hammock on Isla Mujeres for a month or so. Those were my bachelor days, between connubial handcuffs, as it were. Since then I married a piece of Nicaragua and our union produce a little dual citizen. Now I calculate flying differently.

We’ll soon go back to Leon to see what remains. Usually we fly AA but I’ve run out of arms & legs to pay ‘em. One way, Phiily to MGA, would cost $2,242 for the 3 of us (the little guy is 90% adult); RT would suck $3,360 out of my savings. So I did what I swore to myself I’d never do after they move the seats closer together on their Airbus fleet: check Spirit. One way costs $337 for 3 - damn that’s cheap! Of course, that’s bare bones flying. RT is $1,578 for 3. The return leg more than triples in price, opposite to what AA does. Spirit offers a ‘bundle-it’ package that covers bags (checked & overhead), reserving seats, early boarding, and one change of flight time - it costs $92 each. Being pussy-whipped, I pay. Arriving semiconscious at 1:40AM in Managua might be a problem, but I’ve lined up a ride direct to Leon with a trustworthy driver in a newish Toyota Corolla.

Now I’ve got a few months to find an affordable escape route. Out of SJO to Philly looks attractive (AA costing less than Spirit), moreover it’s actually cheaper than any MGA-MIA flight, only to Miami, 1200 miles from Philly! What gives? Exit fees suddenly skyrocket?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Spirit has been better, last few trips not bad and price is hard to beat. Figure if you can survive in Nica, you can survive Spirit. $175 from Dallas.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Spirit has been real kind last few trips, did not have to do the live there song and dance on last 2 1 way trips in, and been nice on heavy luggage.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

There is a Canadian discount (Swoop) flying to Fort Liquirdale for $89 CDN It would make a cool connection to MGA on the cheap.

They fly from Hamilton - Smells a lot like Gary IN ..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Spirit has been under $100 FLL to MGA
    Ernie K Doe

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast