Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Anniversary

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anniversary

Last I heard BSA was filing bankruptcy or something. Anyway, America doesn't want Be Prepared. It wants Snowflakes,
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Lost mine. And I had to break the killer point off my nail clippers. 18 years of institutionalized silliness cause pre-2001 airport security got caught with its pants down. (Do I get points for maintaining continuity, boss?) The other day with my fam, I was refused entry to the Philly mint cause I had a 4" pocketknife. As a scout I learned "be prepared". Today for BSA - which includes girls, right? - their motto must be "be humble" or "be submissive".
    And Don Tightwad broke down and bought one of those new fangled smart phones to travel with. Now I feel I need a purse or something to carry it around in.
    Is that what I moved to the jungle for oh so many years ago?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    We have a few “little family stores,” owned by 1st generation immigrants. Latino, Asian, Middle East, India, Ethiopia.
    You live in an interesting neighborhood - sort of a mini-third-world.

When I walk around my US neighborhood I rarely see anyone outside. During the day all work, husbands & wives, kids in school, retirees sleep late or remain indoors in their underwear. After work no one wants to socialize. Flatscreen home entertainment streaming thru the internet has made total withdrawal by submersion into our castle's inner sanctum so exceedingly pleasurable - with proper snacks & suds - who needs company? For a certain demographic it has superseded sex.

In Leon it seems like everybody's outside, walking somewhere to get some minor thing or just hanging out, during the day. At night people gather in bars and churches (on alternate Wednesdays or some such) and strays visit the numerous dark pulperias that are open for a cell phone recarga, soda, penny snack or single cigarette. Markets & shops close at dusk.

Years before the April-18 riots & tranques drove off all the pale-faced tourists, when the night scene was pretty lively, Bar Baro mysteriously (hours after closing) burned to the ground. Despite having been one of the most popular places in the Zona Rosa, it was never rebuilt. Yesterday several more places in that area burned. Is Leon dying? No, its roots are strong; it'll sprout right back - when? Lord knows.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

1 thing I loved about living in South Florida was the ethnic diversity, you could drive down Federal HWY and no kidding within a 20 mile (or less), you could eat a different cuisine every day of the month, probably for a few months.

Even could get a Nacatamal.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

My US city is no different from yours, DY; no one goes outside (you might get in gang crossfire). But the little immigrant-run shops do exist. The Mexican stores get full on Fridays when people are wiring money home.

I met with the Ethiopian convenience store owner whose store was in a rough and poor neighborhood, and he kept having to yell at some of the clientele who were not quite civilized. Fun times.

Blog Entries

Tomorrow is 13yrs since I stepped off the plane to live here full time, and same as last yr am dragging my feet to leave.

Nicaragua is a funny place, it gets in your blood, in your head, in your soul. 13 years and I have spent maybe close to a year away with all my combined trips, this last one being the longest, 7 months. I really do not want to leave and I really do not want to stay, hard to explain. Anytime I am away it is all I think of, consumes me.

Left the Island Monday and came back to MGA thinking I would get on a plane and go North but so far just sitting around MGA, doing absolutely nothing except watching life here. I would flip a Cordoba but not sure which side is heads and which is tails.

A funny place.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

As for me......I ask myself....
    Where did I go wrong? Or....
    Where did Nicaragua go wrong?
    A funny place indeed.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I met with the Ethiopian convenience store owner whose store was in a rough and poor neighborhood, and he kept having to yell at some of the clientele who were not quite civilized. Fun times.
    But I doubt that neigbourhood is as poor or rough than the one from which he came.

All around the world people eat better, have more and live longer than ever before - Maybe it will take a few generations for us to figure out what is best to do with new wealth and time..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

The Mexican stores get full on Fridays when people are wiring money home.
    Oklahoma is taking advantage of the all the Latinos. I sent some money Western Union while there and the amount came out odd, more than I expected, the State has a $6 charge on every money transfer, imagine how much that adds up to.

Just read a little on it and seems is only state doing it and is raking in big bucks.
    Last edited by cookshow; 11-01-2019 at 07:39 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Last I heard BSA was filing bankruptcy or something. Anyway, America doesn't want Be Prepared. It wants Snowflakes,

And Don Tightwad broke down and bought one of those new fangled smart phones to travel with. Now I feel I need a purse or something to carry it around in.
    Is that what I moved to the jungle for oh so many years ago?

" . . .Last I heard BSA was filing bankruptcy or something. Anyway, America doesn't want Be Prepared. It wants Snowflakes, . . ."

Well, the Girl Scouts sued them,, it's the way of the world..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    " . . .Last I heard BSA was filing bankruptcy or something. Anyway, America doesn't want Be Prepared. It wants Snowflakes, . . ."

If BSA fails it is for poor management, not snowflakes - Sexual abuse of minors is a mental ailment and those in charge who knew (or chose not to know) were surely negligent and possibly criminally responsible.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sadly, a permissive and declining moral state infects all organizations. Lawsuits and court decisions in favor of homosexuals and feminazies probably broke the backs of the best and brightest. On the ground it was a volunteer led organization and when you drive away the volunteers you have nothing left.
    I was a cub Scout and explorer scout and we never heard or thought about such things. Society went downhill.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Sadly, a permissive and declining moral state infects all organizations. Lawsuits and court decisions in favor of homosexuals and feminazies probably broke the backs of the best and brightest.
    It is the failings from those who took leadership roles to lead - Volenteer or not they had a duty to do right and did not.. Similer with religious institutions.

Broke the backs ? - Bah - The best and the brightest just "are" the best and the brightest. Blaming a failed attempt at getting somewhere or something on the rule of law and general equality just sounds like an excuse.

Every time I see the term snowflake I feel in on the joke, but also feel awkward as it implies that our generations prior wish some sort of hardship upon them because of the time period we grew up with "less" (of something)..

They are exactly who they are - A little softer, a little more understanding, a little more accepting exactly because of the comforts we have made for them.
    You can not be a Spartan and an Atheanian at the same time.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567