Thread: Cool MGA Finds

Blog Entries

Default Cool MGA Finds

When I get the chance always try to stay different part of MGA, did Los Colinas this trip, out near new Sinsa and Pricesmart.

Managua Hills Hotel, amazing water pressure, real Hot Water, decent rooms, $32nt, nice breakfast, has a pool too.

2 blocks away is a Food Truck Park, kinda cool. Across from that is a Farmers Market on Fri, Sat, Sun saw some uncommon veggies there.

Lot of cool eateries in that area. Ajua is kinda like Chipolte, Mingos is upscale and very good.

Will certainly stay in that area again, was a nice escape.i
    Last edited by cookshow; 11-05-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Default Re: Cool MGA Finds

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    When I get the chance always try to stay different part of MGA, did Los Colinas this trip, out near new Sinsa and Pricesmart.

Managua Hills Hotel, amazing water pressure, real Hot Water, decent rooms, $32nt, nice breakfast, has a pool too.

2 blocks away is a Food Truck Park, kinda cool. Across from that is a Farmers Market on Fri, Sat, Sun saw some uncommon veggies there.

Lot of cool eateries in that area. Ajua is kinda like Chipolte, Mingos is upscale and very good.

Will certainly stay in that area again, was a nice escape.i
    So much shit in Nicaragua, Managua in particular, was really getting better. I love MGA, I am a city boy at heart and found the constant improvement in Managua really encouraging. Not so much in the sense of having first world conveniences and comforts come to the third world (but that is always nice) but in the sense that the economy had expanded quite a bit and there neat options popping up. My employees in the Free Zones knew about the food truck deal in Las Colinas and there were some other more affordable ones out towards the Leon highway I had heard as well. To them it was a big treat to go there and be in a cool area, something they got to participate in and could participate in. The Allende park and some of the other improvements in transit had made it where folks from around MGA had an affordable reason to visit MGA and the ability to get there in a timely cheap manner.

Credit had opened up to many that had never had it before, obviously it was not cheap but it was cheaper and more attractive than the 20% per week prestamistas. The lack of credit is going to really hurt a broad segment of the current Nica population. Lots of hard working forward looking folks in Nicaragua that were really doing things well.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanx for the heads up. We generally avoid the lowlands, but I like an occasional stay in mga. Last trip we stayed in the same area at Hotel Mozonte, good value and 1.5 blocks from pricemart and cab close to most things.

In these times, especially, I find I need to really push to find things to do.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

"When I get the chance always try to stay different part of MGA, did Los Colinas this trip, out near new Sinsa and Pricesmart.

Managua Hills Hotel, amazing water pressure, real Hot Water, decent rooms, $32nt, nice breakfast, has a pool too."

Yes, thanks. I like that new PriceSmart too,, little easier to get to. I'll give the hotel a try. Price is excellent.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Thanx for the heads up. We generally avoid the lowlands, but I like an occasional stay in mga. Last trip we stayed in the same area at Hotel Mozonte, good value and 1.5 blocks from pricemart and cab close to most things.

In these times, especially, I find I need to really push to find things to do.
    Sinsa almost across street saw the new Pricesmart and Walmart. Good spot.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Sinsa almost across street saw the new Pricesmart and Walmart. Good spot.

Isn't it amazing how the little things in Nicaragua make you so happy
    A new Sinsa,, a New PriceSmart that avoids the gauntlets of street side vendors and windshield cleaners.
    A hotel with hot water AND water pressure, and a fair price?

Nicaragua must be some perverse variation of the Stockholm Syndrome.
    Or, maybe we are all masochists and secretly enjoy the punishment?

(Oh boy,, another Transito checkpoint up ahead!!!)

I grew up in CDMX, and Lord how I do miss it, and learned to drive there too. Growing up there you learn about corruption, bribes, manipulations, tips, incentives and what not very quickly. Even at a young age. For instance as about a 10 or 11 year old we had figured out that we could get 3 of us through the Mexican version of the Metro turnstile. I think the cost back then was $3 pesos. There was always a security guard standing near these back then. We would walk up to the guy and hand him a peso or two and drop our 3 and saddle up and go through, they never said a word. It was endless things like these that one learned in Mexico City. Part of my jaded and semi-demented ass nowadays I guess.

Anyway, when driving in Nicaragua I have been pulled over at least 100 or more times. Usually I would wait them out with the "No Jablo Espanol" deal. I used to get state issued ID Cards that look like licenses and I also had several extra licenses. Another of my favorite tricks was to have expired licenses and I would take the bar code they put on luggage, the thin one that has your name on it, and put that on the expired license and if questioned say that was the renewal nowadays in the states. Everything electronic you know. I usually waited the cops out and they let me go, or paid a small bribe like $20 or $50 cords at the most.

One day I got pulled over in front and down of Gallerias and I handed my expired license with the bar code on it to the transito and started my "No Jablo Espanol" spiel. The guy looks at me for a bit and says "No Problem", "I grew up in Los Angeles and speak English", and the Son of a Bitch sure did speak English, very well. I shouldn't of asked him why he wasn't working in a call center, because that pissed him off. Anyway I had to stick with my BS story about the bar code renewal on the back of the license, that is how the cheap bastards at the DPS do it in Texas I told him. His words, not mine, were "don't give me that bullshit, that doesn't happen in America". Damm. Long story short I had to give him $20usd and was lucky to get my expired fake renewed license back. After that my first question to the transitos was and is "Do you speak English". Never had a cop in Mexico speak English.

Blog Entries

Great story.....
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

New(ish) hotel out by airport, friend went there said is really nice. Hotel Agualcas.

Granada have stayed at Hotel La Pergola, last few months they have had single room for $15, no a/c or breakfast at that price. Great location, 1 block off Calzada. Hot water is solar so kinda iffy times I stayed. Beautiful hotel, nice pool.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Old wallmart was a dud, new one is great. Well, not as great as the new one in Mohave Valley, but great for Nic.
    Bad spot to get return taxi though, better have a cel number.

New car Masaya pricemart has food court separate from store. Amazing how much noise people make eating and how quite the store is now. Watch the old ghetto pricemart food court-food is stale after 5 pm.

I solve the Transito problem by not driving in mga, inconvenient as that may be. Too many bad stories, plus its a mess.

Have been checking Feb. flights and I may do the unthinkable =fly from SJO. MGA sucks triple duty, price, total flight time, and convenience. A tourist would have to be nuts to come here.

Blog Entries

SJO flights been real attractive even from over here.

American says 3rd flight after first of year, maybe others join in and fares get normal.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

United has been my standby for 13 years, but now they are red eyes and late night arrivals to Vegas. Looking at 3 legged flights with a week stopover in cdmx or somewhere to smell the roses. You wouldn't think vegas would be hard to get to, but right now from mga it sucks. Same same Spain and just about everywhere else.

Blog Entries

For MEX checkout Volaris and Interjet from SJO. Volaris was flying from here but no more. Spirit type experience but price was right.

Also fly from El Sal.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Volaris had been doing flights to SJO just a little more than bus fares. I flew down earlier in year for another cheap flight. SJO back to MGA was never ending delays, got a voucher, turned out to unusable except full fare, so worthless.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I was just checking out volaris today. Has some potential for a week vacation where you can get by on a carryon or 1 suitcase for the 2 people like we did to Mex this year. Volaris is not on Expedia so I haven't been watching it.

Some deals from united and american are to be had from mga to vegas but when you check the total time with stopovers most get real ugly. And red eyes. The 3 legs are worth watching: sjo-las-mga is much cheaper than mga-las rt.

checked transnica to san jose, executive bus around 80 bucks rt looks good. tickets are good forever.

Anybody fly with Interjet, a Mexican budget line?
    Last edited by el duende grande; 11-06-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Volaris and Interjet are same company. Reading reviews Interjet seems to be better of the 2. Delays with Volaris sucked, but it happens, other than that it was fine, really nice staff unlike many budget airlines.

Southwest is also flying from SJO and had some good fares when I looked last month.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Was watching Volaris site regularly when they flew from MGA they have greats sales all the time.
    Ernie K Doe

Anybody fly with Interjet, a Mexican budget line?
    Interjet is the better of the two airlines. On popular routes they not cheap at all. If you shop them and maneuver it they have some good fares. I have flown them a couple of times. Only thing that gives me pause is they fly some Russian planes, or at least used to. I like them better than Volaris. Volaris is the Claro of LatAm airlines. Everything this great until it isn't and then the customer is gonna take a fucking. Owned by Carlos Slim too.
    Last edited by RGV AG; 11-07-2018 at 08:53 AM.

How about Liberia.
    Have prices come down?

I like San Jose and used to fly out of there.

Much greater choice of airlines and destinations, especially if you are heading towards the west coast.

I was driving a Tica plated car at the time,, left it at a hotel in Alajuela for $1 night.

No competition at MGA is going to keep prices high.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    Interjet is the better of the two airlines. On popular routes they not cheap at all. If you shop them and maneuver it they have some good fares. I have flown them a couple of times. Only thing that gives me pause is they fly some Russian planes, or at least used to. I like them better than Volaris. Volaris is the Claro of LatAm airlines. Everything this great until it isn't and then the customer is gonna take a fucking. Owned by Carlos Slim too.
    Even with their cheap fares they could not compete with COPA and AVIANCA, dz people on the plane each way.
    Ernie K Doe

I wouldn't doubt that Volaris couldn't compete. What I understand is that CentAm airport fees and costs are very high, with MGA being the highest, and that COPA and TACA/Avianca have always made sure competition was limited. Supposedly there is some easing up for the big US carriers in a tit for tat deal on COPA and Avianca access to the US.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    How about Liberia.
    Have prices come down?

I like San Jose and used to fly out of there.

Much greater choice of airlines and destinations, especially if you are heading towards the west coast.

I was driving a Tica plated car at the time,, left it at a hotel in Alajuela for $1 night.

No competition at MGA is going to keep prices high.
    When I check Lliberia is always lack of choices an not great fares. Think in winter get better, more flights.
    Ernie K Doe