Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jan 2019 - Just a bunch of crap

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jan 2019 - Just a bunch of crap

So Eldest BIL Edward finally has a ticket.

One way on American via Miami was $470CDN , so about 320US. All figured in it was $20 more than Spirit without the drive to Detroit-city.

He also had to get his Nica Passport to avoid the exit penalty for entering on his Canadian Passport that 14 years ago..

No check bag included tough - but he does not need to pay for the Cary bag.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

So Eduard DID catch the flight from MGA to MIA - He DID NOT catch the flight from MIA to YYZ which was delayed (2:44 AM) We got to the airport at 3:30 AM we waited until 5:45 and caught some CBSA agents (Like your Border Patrol agents) in the coffee line - I asked where the office was, they asked why, I told that we were waiting for family and they said no one was remaining back either in the customs or immigration line.

So we went up to the desk for the airline - Told the agent what was up - he asked some questions, told us a few times that he was not supposed to tell us, but did help us to know that he had been put of the early flight to Toronto that day.

We had to get to work so we left and others stepped in to take him to our house.

All settled at our house Thursday night we had to show him how to start the shower - 24 yrs away is a long time from heated showers. He spent Friday night and all of Saturday with his brother, and all of thoday with his second eldest daughter (Eldest in in CR for about 20yrs now)

Tomorrow youngest brother is to take him to service canada to start the pension process. Then we have to find how to apply for the private company pension he paid into for 15 yrs - The company changed hands in 2013 so that may be a goose chase.

Also have to get him set up with a Power of Attorney for whom ever he chooses to do all of his banking when he goes back (Canada does not have a pension agreement with Nicaragua I am told) so he will probably need to set up a bank account and file a tax return to get his GST (A yearly rebate of sales tax for people below a certain income level) credit etc etc.

Then have to look to get his wife and Son set up for Survivor benefits.

There is probably 2 to 3 weeks of nit picky office sitting and paper chasing.

Blog Entries

What do they think you'll do if they tell you where their passenger is?

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I went thru this crap big time when a relative got sick in the US because of the friggin Privacy Act. You call the hospital and they say they can't tell you if your relative is there because it would be an infringement on his privacy! In a place like L.A, there are a lot of hospitals to search trying to find somebody, not to mention the nursing home gulag. Finally a relative on the ground had to take off work and go from hospital to hospital till somebody fessed up off the record to where Tio was.

As far as travel goes, it really helps for everybody to have a working phone all the time, which is tough when going from country to country as the plans change. One minute you have service and the next minute you don't.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    One minute you have service and the next minute you don't.
    As was the case with this one...

Funny story I have heard on the pick up - So the pickup we were on (2:44 AM to 7AM) was with Oscar and Herminia - Herminia is Chilo's next oldest sister.

They have a Son, Oscar Jr, about 35 now - Oscar Jr's Wife works for one of the software companies in the Waterloo region here.

Oscar Jr's Wife, Jen walks out of the arrivals door in Pearson Airport and Sees Edward. Jen has never been to Nicaragua, has seen pictures of Edward, and did know Dona Rosa (Chilo, Herminia and Edwards mother) for a short time before she died in 2004.

Jen sees Edward and says "He looks a lot like Dona Rosa", Calls Oscar Jr who tells her to snap a picture. She takes a picture of Edward talking to a PR bible thumper leafing through the bible. Oscar Jr says that him, Hand him the phone.... Jen walks up with the only Spanish she knows saying "Hablar... Hablar.." Edward is scared because he knows not WTF is going on... Oscar Jr tells Edward to follow Jen - They go to the limo and he is met 1/2 way by Oscar and Herminia (About 30 mi) and brought to our place.

Blog Entries

Last week Monday , a little over 2 weeks back here, I asked Edward how his CPP application was going .

He said that it was really difficult to understand what was going on - I asked why and he explained that youngest brother (David) and then former BIL Roger (Sister Carmen was his wife, died in 1996) took him to the place and he could not make heads or tails of what was going to which he handed me a flier......

The BII (Brothers in ignorance) took him to a seminar on preparing for CPP..... In Serbian... At a local community center...

This is silly... I sat down, got the local CPP office address, then a google Streetview of the building and printed it for him.

Then he mentioned how he can not find out any reference to the Union Pension at the old carpet factory .. Google again spat out the Union address and phone number as well.

Off he went with his daughter last Tuesday and CPP was all wrapped that afternoon and Wed he contacted the Union and his paperwork has started.

He says he should get his first deposit the first week of July but I am skeptical as others I know who are close to retirement figure on a 2 month lag from application to first deposit.

Blog Entries

-- Goof put in wrong place ---
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 06-11-2019 at 12:06 PM.

Blog Entries

So eldest BIL Edward is STILL here - almost into month 4 now.

Has his CPP, has his OHiP back (Health care) which was a surprise to me, has his company pension straight.

Now Edward is working on papers for his son and for his Common Law wife. BIL Daniel is coming back for some medical appointments and will bring some papers to prove that Edward has been common law for the past 20 years.

It is just about time to start charging rent :-)

In parallel second eldest BIL Luis had his second eldest Son (Jimmy) get papers to bring his youngest son up. He arrived last week and is 18. Has a son himself (of course) and he has been in a constant relationsip with the bouys mother for the past 4 years.

Jimmy, I have to say, is one of those who have proven some of my late 30's stereotypes broken. Shattered even.

Jimmy came up in 99 or 2000 and fell in to the wrong crowd. Eventually being charged in a stabbing. He did 4 years in a Canadian medium security lock up and then released on probation (early) expecting him to quickly fall into more trouble I was surprised on how the system (with his willingness of course) set him on a humble path to have a pretty simple stable life. Not that he found a high paying vocation and is wildly successful, but in the simple fact he found casual labour, pays his bills, and just moves along.

Not sure if Jimmy's son will stay through the first winter though ....

Blog Entries

Was tasked with buying BIL Daniels ticket.

Bought it today via Orbitz - This is odd as orbitz never allowed Canadian purchases, at least up to 2017 when I last tried them.

He does not have to touch a US connection which is nice - MGA to PTY out to YYZ and then YYZ to MEX and out to MGA. So he will need to clear Mexican customs, but that is pretty smooth in my experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12