Thread: Jan 2019 - Just a bunch of crap

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Jan 2019 - Just a bunch of crap

So we are just to leave the homestead for Pearson (YYZ)

6 hours in O'hare with an overnight flight to Panama

Arrive in Managua @ 10:30AM on the 10th - Or so we hope.

We are there for the entire month coming back to the GWN the 31st.

Assorted photos, observations, and rants to be contained within....

Probable next check-in will be after US TSA clearance in Pearson airport. With the US gov shutdown, preclearance is said to be slow..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Jan 2019 - Just a bunch of crap

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Getting there is half the fun

Blog Entries

We just negotiated to our gate at ORD.

We are in T5 and it is an epic bus ride between taxiing aircraft.

Security guard who gave us directions to the bus was more stoned than most Canadians after legalization.

Chilo said that if she had this connection solo she would have sat on the terminal floor and cried.

But on the bright side we won 70 bucks at the slots 1/2 way to the airport.

Blog Entries

American resumed 3rd Miami flight, fares really dropped.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

It looks like American is trying to grab United's market share, but the dates I googled showed 14 hour travel times to vegas. 8 or 9 is the norm for a good flight.

Copa is the cheapest but apeshit. You have to stop in cr or sal before flying south to go north to vegas!

Blog Entries

So here is the spew on da faze book...

Linkey

We got a deal on the blocks - Buddy was loaded with 130 pcs and a job disappeared on him - He sold us the 140 with no delivery charge for C$33 each and dropped another 114 this aft at the same C$33 with no delivery - Before the troubles they were selling for C$40 each plus C$500 delivery

Buddy was supposed to come by for payment but did not show.

Total materials are approx C$44000 now. Labour for the fence is estimated around C$27000

No real hiccup so far - but there will be I know it...

Blog Entries

Tonights funny

Someone in Claro's Office somehow has a Ruku screen broadcast to Cable channel # 49.

SIL shows me how she has Ruku now - I spend 2 or 3 min trying to set up until I find the glitch.

Had to laugh at myself for that one.

Blog Entries

So wateroff day and a bit - Water was off at the plot for a day and then off for 18 hours at SILs house. Both are running again.

IPtv - I am finding that Claro leaves the resolution off from their name servers - A simple VPN connection brings it up - Could have also switched to google server but the VPN was there and set up already.

Materials are paid (Cement - rebar - planks - nails - Sand and p gravel ) and work crew paid up to tomorrow. Nothing expected other than the unexpected.

Off to Managua to get the lost bag, meet eldest BIL, Lunch with Chilo's only surviving auant and pay the stone man for the 280 blocks.

Blog Entries

Stone man paid.... Walked into the parking lot - took a taxi away.

Bag picked up from Copa - They take passport Photocopies.

Eduardo (oldest BIL) is still holding on to a 2005 copy of passport renewal forms. He always makes this weak ass plea for $250 to renew hispassport - Chilo has fell for it twice. The premise is he will use it to get a ticket and come up to apply for Canada pension.

Well this time we said we will take him to the Canadian consulate for the straight dirt on how he gets his CPP and OAS (Old Age Security)

CPP is Canada pension plan - it is based on your lifetime earnings from 18 to 65 - The more you make the greater your pension. From a recent statement we got for both myself and Chilo I would put his take at $300 to $500/mo. Why the big span? Well, he only had 15 yrs in and I do not know what he made - Chilo has 30 yrs into the plan (Mosly min wage) and hers works out to $580/mo. CPP allows you to take is at 60, pealing 0.15% off from your age 65 payment for every month before 65, and tacking ON 0.15% per month for every month after you turn 65 - The top out being at 70 - Edward turns 70 in May - So a bunch of fuzzy maths makes me think $500 CPP bucks.

OAS is Old Age security - It is paid to every Canadian over 65 regardless of work history. Currently, it is something like $385/mo.

He (Edward) also has a 12 yr old son - The way I read the papers he will get $250/mo for him as well until his 18th b-day.

So crunching all this Edward could be ower $1200is CDN a month - No small amount compared to the couple hundred a month he eeks out now.

Tia Estella - It was to be Viggaron, but we were greeted with cake and Doughnuts (Maybe she googled "Canadian" before we arrived :-) She is the last remaining aunt to Chilo and her siblings.

She is nice for a loan shark :-) Her wing of the family makes cash giving loans and holding a security item until paid - Many of the loans are paid in interest only terms. She has a lot full of Cars I am told.

Tomorrow is full build day with the fellows doing the rebar and us figuring out where the house will sit as the fence walls go up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 01-13-2019 at 09:37 PM.

Blog Entries

So a week goes by - If you want to look at the link (to faze book below) there are a bunch of new pix - Our mini Trump wall is moving along.

The family "natter" has continued.

One on a sad note - BIL Ernesto (Drunkard, wife beater, "Hombre de Nicaragua" ) passed away in Canada - Nella (my SIL) and Ernesto (Her husband) have been estranged from after a minor (made major) meltdown in 2015 - Foolish Nica pride. He had Type II, kidney issues, and heart problems (I last heard) but chose to self medicate - many times involving FDC and some schlock remedy. He was so Machismo it ozzed like the hair tonic and the cologne. It is always sad when someone passes so young (58), more so when it is from arrogance and misinformation.

Along with that, there is the family natter chatter between the ones here - FSLN this, no FSLN that. What work? Who is going to pay my expenses to work :-)

1/2 and 1/2 success on Eduardo's CPP and passport - The CPP can be claimed - but cannot be paid here. It has to be paid in Canada and sent down. The OAS (The $380 something I mention below) is only for people who paid into the system for 20 yrs or more - He only paid in for 16 yrs. The passport renewal is much simpler now such that someone with a valid passport can swear the image (Back 10 yrs ago or so it had to be a licensed professional to do the swearing). He still needs two references who reside in Canada - Touched base with some of his old church friends to see if they would state such. I see things looking up for Eduardo and possibly for his boy if we can get him set up with the Canadian citizenship he is entitled too.

Had a nice little jaunt down to SJDS - Spent an hour catching up with Mel - Business is doing good (well better) and looking better. Spent a couple hours catching up with John S as well - Just as crusty as always and like all of us getting older.

The Joxi portion of what was Rosita hotel has returned to whoever the leaseholder was - They quoted 21 for the room which quickly turned to $21 per person when they saw a white face - We stayed at Rosita next door for $35/nght.

The ride into SJDS was by Taxi by a nice fellow from Rivas - Part of a Co-op C$200 for both of us - About the same as the express bus from Rivas (Which picked up 50% more than they should have) for C$180.

There was some sort of shoot up (in the air) at Iguana with an off duty PN (Female) officer, a pistol whip with a service revolver, and no charges - Everyone passed it off as BAU. This was Sunday night.

Sunday I did run into a fellow who was born in the same city and hospital I was who now runs a bar in SJDS - Roho Loco on the beach. It was a nice place - Wish I would have watched the hockey game there (missed it) but Chilo and Daniel caught the packman fight in Big Wave Dave's - BWD had 10 patrons on a Sat night for the fight. Republika had something like 15 and Iguana had, what looked like from the street, about 1/2 full.

On Sunday night I descended into the 3rd ring of hell according to Dante with Ranchero Karioki - I left after an hour.

I drove back to Masaya (Also drove from Boaco to Masaya the day before) - I could drive in Nica regularly I think as 60 too 80KM/h is OK for me and being stuck behind a banana truck did not irk me as much as the people behind me.

The construction fellows have been really good - Collecting the empty bags, keeping the scrap rebag from where it could puncture tires etc etc. I really like te work they are doing - Hopefully they do not screw it up with the next job quote.

Soo fantastic to see and catch up with Billy and Chilo!! 💕
    Attached Images Attached Images
    17th time's a charm

Quote Originally Posted by melissaskitchen View Post
    Soo fantastic to see and catch up with Billy and Chilo!! 
    Nice to hear from Melissa.

Even nicer to have something else to talk about.
    Saving the world wears on one.

Blog Entries

Welcome back, Melissa!

Blog Entries

Well wall #4 was completed, Wall #3 is in process now

Wall #3 was last because of its complexity (Angle, 3m garage door, and 2m entrance gate).

The corners of wall 3 should be formed and possibly poured today. The garage gate (to left) will be 8' over zero level - Zero is the top of the blocks - A lot of flooding in our hood - This height should keep out the water. Entrence gate is to the right - 2M from post to post and will be 90" high.

We went to a church (Wife's denomination) in Matagalpa - But they were like 5km outside of Jinotega :-)

Fellow doing the work only lives 3 blocks away so construction will continue (Backfill and level of soil) and possible pour of house footings will continue until Chilo comes back in May

Blog Entries

Walls are good!, and one of the best things I ever did here is putting in our overhead water tank.
    The Camping Life gets old after a few years.

Blog Entries

So two days before we left (Jan 29) we finally caught our Lawyer lounging on the sidewalk outside her house and went in for a chat.

After some questions on another plot, Chilo had bought in 2008 for the princely sum of $375, and my half-hearted application for residency ( started in 2015 for $50ish - still in process. It was more of interesting twist for the Lawyer, I have little hope in it succeeding but it is still puttering along) we asked about paying property tax.

Property tax for our building plot was _paid_ by the plot holder for the arrears up to the time we title transfer was finished (late 2016) and was paid up to the time the transaction took place (2014). This means that our plot was at least 4, possibly 5 years in arrears.

She (the lawyer) showed Chilo which papers she needed to take to City hall and off she went with her Sister (I was told to stay home as a white face means our taxes would go up). She went to building #1 which is beside the Masaya Fire Department. Waited in line and they said wrong place, go to building #2 - Grabbed taxi to building #2, waited in line, were told they had to go to building #3 . Got to building #3 just at noon and Chilo pushed her foot in the door as they were closing. After some pleading with the door keep they were let in.

So the discussion with the (Clerk?) found that yes indeed the property is in arrears, but also the land is not yet registered in the city records under Chilo's name - They are with the Supreme court, just not with the town. Putting the title in the city records as under Chilo's name takes 3 days <Rolly eyes> and a survey. While yes there is an existing survey with the national title _Another_survey needs to be done for the city title. This is no charge, only transportation to the property needs to be provided.

In the discussion SIL let it slip that we were building the fence - They asked if we had got the permit to do it. It appears that Brother In Law never did go to get the permit so we did build the fence without permission - We will get the permit sometime in Feb and there is a possibility of a fine. I believe the fine is something like 500 cord.

So BIL will get the permit in Feb, We will get the survey in March and then change the town title right after that. My guess for the 5 yrs of tax for undeveloped land will be sub $100

Funny part - So SIL asked for her total - She was in arrears back to 2016 for property taxes, garbage, and other sundry things. The amount was just a hair over $365 US - They accept payment plans she was told :-) She looked at Chilo with forlorn eyes to help - Chilo said in a polite way "Good luck with that"

Blog Entries

So FINALLY got Edwards passport paperwork in order

Issue #1 was for references for someone who has known him for more than 5 yrs. Well he has been out of Canada for 23 years so that was a bear. Used Youngest brothers former common-law wife and one of his niece's common-law husband.

Issue #2 - I was going to be the guarantor, but we left before all the stars aligned, so Daniel will sign. It used to be that the Guarantor was a professional (Eng, Lawyer, Dr. , Priest Accountant etc etc) but 8 or so years ago they dropped the requirement down to a current valid passport holder.

Payment is funny as the Canadian passport office actually states, and has signs on the door, that "Cash is not an acceptable means of payment". Funny that.

So with all of this (Close too) completion, it will be most likely that Edward will come up here for his 70'th b-day rather than Chilo and Herminia going down. This will help get his CPP (equiv to us SS) all squared away.

Our first load of fill is to be arriving this week - To bring the compound a good 6" up from the high point of the street - So far it looks to be 400 cord for 2.5 to 3 cu^m delivered. Not sure what buddies will charge for spreading it out and moving the leftover stones. We will have them smooth that out, but I bet 2 or 3 more loads will be needed.

Been a shit week up here with snow, then ice, then freezing rain, then more snow, and rain again this AM. But I did get to play with the snow blower - I will come up specifically to use the snow blower :-)

Work tosses its profit-sharing into the Retirement plan next week. Which will at least enough for me make me change my "Done full-time work" plans to Feb 2021 or Feb 2022 (Depending on which one looks the best) so I don't miss out - One Kick in the teeth though was the 2018 Retirement savings statement - 5% down now is a hell of a lot more than 5% down was in actual dollars 10 yrs ago :-)

Box buddy (Rubin) was still in Nicaragua when we left (Jan 31) but he _Says_ he is on track for another set of boces in March -

Chilo has a single bowl bar sink and stuff

I have ......
    An Awesome two bowl faux stone kitchen sink (Dark grey) to go with the retractable hose single outlet faucet I picked up in Dec.
    4 cast pans,
    6 Moka coffee pots
    3 circular saws
    4 Jig saws
    5 drills
    1 Table saw (Good ol 1970's craftsman no less)
    A mess of good kitchen knives

We will see how much I can squeeze in the next 3 or 4 boxes for arrival late April, early May.

Blog Entries

Just gave away a Craftsman table saw and drill press...1950's vintage....God I miss her.

When I lived in South Florida, a guy in my neighborhood (Ex-Canadian?) had a pair of crossed snow shovels mounted above his garage.....kinda like a coat of arms.

Maybe, you could turn your snow blower into a mailbox or something? You could become a postal landmark......"Turn right just 5 houses past the Gringo with the snow machine"?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Just gave away a Craftsman table saw and drill press...1950's vintage....God I miss her.

When I lived in South Florida, a guy in my neighborhood (Ex-Canadian?) had a pair of crossed snow shovels mounted above his garage.....kinda like a coat of arms.
    I'm gonna do that..

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Maybe, you could turn your snow blower into a mailbox or something? You could become a postal landmark......"Turn right just 5 houses past the Gringo with the snow machine"?
    Snow blower is going to stay Hopefully it will give another 5 to 7 yrs.

Blog Entries

So a bit more death.

Dona Chilo (not my Chilo) passed away in Chinandega. (My) Chilo says I know them but I do not recall. They worked up here for 25 years and have been splitting time down there for the last 3 after turning 65.

The unfortunate thing is that Dona Chilo's husband was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers last year and she was becoming his caregiver. The passing was sudden and unexpected. Now the family are left with caring for him there (They all reside there) or sending him back for better care, but alone. I am betting he is not coming back north.

Then there is Matilde - Chilo's cousin. Her and Chalie have possession of the largest remaining land holdings in Managua of Chilo's father's side - About a city block in Bar. Santa anna. She was found in her house after no one had heard from her for about 12 hours (Which was rare I was told) - Chilo says the family on that side will probably descend into a protracted spat as much of the land(s) are verbal agreements on who gets what. Chilo says that family has never been so concentrated in Bar Santa Anna church in decades as the suck up occurs with 2 weeks of services.

It was too bad as we were mere feet from Matilde's house on a day trip to Managua but the specter of the money beg swayed us not to go.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 02-17-2019 at 10:25 AM.

Blog Entries

Yep, we still have one property in the name of somebody who died in the revolution. Things can move slow here.
    Back north, I find my granddaughter was diagnosed with Parkinson's. I thought that was for old people, but apparently not. Sad part it is a downward spiral.

Good news is a sobrino got a beca to study in spain. Adios sobrino.

Blog Entries

Even thought the trip is done - I'll just toss this here...

Item #1 - Looks like one of Chilo's 2nd cousins on her Dads side is unloading a house - Whole bedroom set (Nice dark reddish wood) Queen bed, 2 full-size dressers, 2 night table and a couple of chairs.

Item #2 - Full dining room - Fancy Smancy table glass Quiero (sp?) cabinet Grandfather clock etc etc - 8 chairs some other nick nacks -

Item #3 - Clothes washer - only a few years old

Item #4 appears to be Kitchen (Fridge stove et al..)

$2300US

Chilo says it is a great deal - I say "Where the hell you going to store all that" but apparently Tia Estella the loan shark has space. <Shrug>

Full inventory will be this week with pix of each and how they plan to do the cash. I have never been a quiero cabinet sort of fellow with a fancy dancy dining set - not sure what to make of all of this.

Next

Before work today Chilo's niece called - She is a year younger than her - They were talking about some land that she bought by Mateare (She is working in Panama with her son for almost a decade now) - Funny part is that no one is stealing her land - But they are stealing her barbed wire - Looks like it has happened a few times now.

For our land we have been hit by Quote-itice again - The fellows who did such a fine job on the wall now want C$5000 to fill in the plot (level) Re-do our barbed wire (Open spots of the fence) and tidy up the remaining stone piles - BIL says that is a good C1000 to C$1500 too high and is looking for others to do the work.

Work for me is slowing down - In the main building all of the contract manufacturing people have been let go - Good friend of mine who has been doing detailed camera failure analysis for over 15 years (And at the mother corp for over 20) was sent to work on the production floor last week.

We may be splitting time down there faster than I thought. While for this downsizing I will be far better prepared.

Blog Entries

A man near me said stealing his barbed wire was bad, but then they stole the posts, too.