Thread: Google News, March 8, 2019

Blog Entries

Default Google News, March 8, 2019

Nicaragua Daily update ⋅ March 8, 2019
    NEWS
    Urgent Action Needed To Stop The Nicaraguan Government From Silencing Opposition Forbes
    On March 7, 2019, the UN Human Rights Council continues with informal consultations on a resolution on the situation in Nicaragua. Only a few days ...

Nicaragua at the UN Human Rights Council Session - Havana Times
    Full Coverage

Nicaragua Congress approves purchase of bank tied to Venezuela's PDVSA Reuters
    MANAGUA (Reuters) - Nicaraguan lawmakers voted on Thursday to authorize a $23 million government purchase of Bancorp, a financial institution ...

Nicaragua Congress approves purchase of bank tied to Venezuela's PDVSA - Reuters
    Nicaragua Congress approves purchase of bank tied to Venezuela's PDVSA - Reuters
    Full Coverage

Nicaraguan government and opposition agree on road map for talks The Tico Times
    Daniel Ortega's government and the opposition ended the standoff in their talks in an attempt to end the political crisis in Nicaragua. The parties ...

Crisis threatens science progress Science Magazine
    Years of sociopolitical unrest in Nicaragua and Venezuela have given rise to a human rights and humanitarian crisis in Latin America. Last week, the ...

TPS Extended For Sudan, Nicaragua, Haiti, and El Salvador Lexology
    U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services announced on Friday, March 1, 2019, the automatic extension of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) ...

TPS Extended for Sudan, Nicaragua, Haiti and El Salvador - JD Supra (press release)
    Full Coverage

With hundreds of political prisoners still in jail, the Nicaraguan conflict is far from over Global Voices Online
    Nicaragua made front-page news in April 2018 as demonstrators protesting against social security reforms clashed with police on the streets of ...

Nicaragua: Police Captain Admits Making False Testimony against Protestors Havana Times
    The active Police Captain has been a “witness” in ten political trials and said the accusations are fabricated at the El Chipote interrogation prison.

Archbishop: Nicaragua's faithful remain devoted despite fear of attacks Catholic Culture
    Archbishop: Nicaragua's faithful remain devoted despite fear of attacks ... “The Nicaraguan nation has a great faith in the Blessed Sacrament, in the ...

“Journalism and Humor Cannot be Silenced” Havana Times
    March 1st was the Day of the Nicaraguan Journalist, and the cartoonist of Confidential reflected on how hard it is to practice the profession in these ...

150 kg of cocaine seized in Nicaragua MENAFN.COM
    (MENAFN) Nicaraguan police have seized 150 kg of cocaine during an operation in the southern part of the country. According to the police, the ...

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Google News, March 8, 2019

Posted by Paul Tiffer on FB:

It is official, to apply for new residency as Retiree applicant has to prove: $ 1,000, and as Rentier: $1,250.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Posted by Paul Tiffer on FB:

It is official, to apply for new residency as Retiree applicant has to prove: $ 1,000, and as Rentier: $1,250.
    They had been talking about that but I understood that they put it off,, for reconsideration in May?

Best to report the minimum based in what is happening in CR. It's not unreasonable to assume that NicaVille will also expect retirees to pay for health care. The dollar number in CR is significant.

CR was toying with idea of taxing income of retirees years back. The number of expats in Nicaragua is less than CR, but the Nicaraguan government will become increasingly desperate to cover budget shortfalls over the next few years.

This economy will continue to contract, and devaluation of the Cordoba will make it more and more "local ", as Don Danny suggests.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and la Colonia doesn't seem to have bag boys anymore, pollo tiptop downtown closed and I hear will be replaced with a cheaper brand, maxipali is dead more often than full. Restaurants better be doing well on weekends because they are dead during the week.
    But, on our ride to sjds last week it seemed the construction boom, public and private, is back on. them's what got it got it.

Funny thing, netflix has a new Ruskie movie on their revolution. The high point was when Trotsky said something to the effect of "the 20 or 30 percent that support us are the important ones. The rest can go abroad or die".

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and internet has been slow last 2 weeks. I thought it was just our ibw service, but a friend with the maximum speed claro says the same.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    and internet has been slow last 2 weeks.
    Here I thought the whole idea of coming to Nicaragua was to go slow.

I got the 7Gb pkg from MoviStar that's just for the day; cost 30 cords (less than a buck). It goes poof at the hour Cinderella went shoeless. My Huawei is set-up as a wifi hotspot so it can pump those MS vibes to 3 of us users here. My Chromebook clocked 1 Mbps - 900 kbps, nothing to shout about, but it only took 3 seconds to restart "Dark", a loopy, German sci-fi Netflix offering I'm watching, instead of the wall, and all plays without a hitch.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Here I thought the whole idea of coming to Nicaragua was to go slow.

I got the 7Gb pkg from MoviStar that's just for the day; cost 30 cords (less than a buck). It goes poof at the hour Cinderella went shoeless. My Huawei is set-up as a wifi hotspot so it can pump those MS vibes to 3 of us users here. My Chromebook clocked 1 Mbps - 900 kbps, nothing to shout about, but it only took 3 seconds to restart "Dark", a loopy, German sci-fi Netflix offering I'm watching, instead of the wall, and all plays without a hitch.

Is that 7GB available EVERY DAY or just some days.
    Seems like I always see it on Sundays.

I have some monthly plan,, normally it meets my needs. There is a data limit,, but it's generous.
    I made the unfortunate mistake of sharing my router password with Jayro,, so the inevitable happened.
    Jayro loves that Blurred Lines music video with what's her name walking around topless.

They should rename this country Aprovechar
    Either that,, or just start calling us,, Tonto Gringo.
    That's Señor Tonto Gringo , por favor!

You CAN do a USB tether from your phone to your laptop,, it's what I'm using now until my WiFi plan resets on the 15th.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Is that 7GB available EVERY DAY or just some days.
    Just some - catch as catch can. The regular best deal is 'Noche Conectado' for the midnite rider: 9pm to 6am for 30 cords - no limit. We've used that with 3 devices tethered - to indulge on binge-worthy Netflix's series or to download same. For reading the news, blogs, email & Wiki I use Claro's usb 'modem'; 500Mb/24 hours for 25 cords. Fine for podcasts too. Videos burn thru the half gig too quickly.

There are several simpatico joints with good wifi here in Leon. I regularly park this aged cuerpo in 'em for sustenance, an electronic umbilical, A/C and a little respite for perspective on family life. As the big duende notes for Esteli weekdays they're more & more empty these days

Folks do take advantage. I change passwords on my Netfilix account and Huawei hotspot frequently. Tonto pero no tanto.

Blog Entries

Nicaragua Congress approves purchase of bank tied to Venezuela's PDVSA Reuters
    MANAGUA (Reuters) - Nicaraguan lawmakers voted on Thursday to authorize a $23 million government purchase of Bancorp, a financial institution
    It's not like Nicaragua has money to throw around. Apparently they're trying to cover Maburro's ass, tho it evidently is pointless.
    U.S. assistant secretary of state for Western Hemisphere affairs, Kimberly Breier, wrote
    “Sanctions on @PDVSA also target ALBANISA, Bancorp & all majority owned subsidiaries. We will continue to hold the Ortega regime accountable.”
    And to pay for it,
    Lawmakers voted to finance the Bancorp purchase with a six-year bond issuance.
    Who, besides Pellas, buys Nica bonds?

This move was so rushed, it smells like Cuba is orchestrating the whole show in order to salvage what they can as Venezuela implodes.

" ...This move was so rushed, it smells like Cuba is orchestrating the whole show in order to salvage what they can as Venezuela implodes. ..."

Bolton smells blood.
    If Venezuela implodes,, Cuba will see oxcarts again for public transport in the streets of Havana.
    A LOT tougher for the Cubans to simply leave as before.

There is a lot of money sitting around in Nicaragua,, it will take some time for Nicaragua to really feel the pinch of sanctions and no more external financing/donations. A lot of wealth was generated in the last five years, and a lot more stolen from the Venezuela "cooperation" money. Some time will be required to burn through that cash. When the lights start going off on Sundays, and Transito insists being paid their bribes in dollars,, you will know the difficult period has arrived.

There was already a strong "local" economy,, at 10 cords per a windshield washer does 20 cars/day, and makes what he might in a tobacco factory,, after deductions. As long as there is gas to keep the cars running.

It will be interesting to see how Semana Santa plays out this year.

Things may change in 2021,, when and if the commies get back in control in the US.
    President AOK and her VP, Reilly, will seek an alliance with Cuba, Nicaragua, Bolivia,,Venezuela (if Maduro is still there).
    Perhaps that is what Ortega is waiting for?
    He's counted his pennies and has enough to keep the lights on until then