We had started to keep a small lookout vessel way inshore and to also act as a decoy.

We all had radio contact in codes.

The lookout/decoy boat was just about worthless, in monetary value, so in the event of a patrol capturing it, our loses would be minimized, we just had to worry about the Tico personnel aboard.

In the past when Tico’s were caught, nothing happened to the crews but the boats were normally stripped of anything valuable, but returned when the fine was paid.

It was evident the Sandinista government were having less and less resources and interest in patrolling far offshore.

After the near fight with Kalilly and Bill, and solving the stinking problem in the Head, we went on and got the required shrimp, and went into a small abandoned landing dock in a place called Guahinikill (spelling doubtful).

This was up near the Nicaraguan border on the Costa Rican side.

Periodically while at this dock we would see or hear a helicopter gunship about the countryside, it would fly over and sometimes just check us out, before going on.

Sometimes the Costa Rican Coast Guard would come alongside, check us all out, and it would result in putting on a big feed of boiled shrimp and other delicacies we had on board.

Just up the road a ways from this dock was a small airstrip that Bill said was used to bring in arms for the Contras.

I did not pay attention to any of this, because I was focused at the time, on what I was doing with the shrimping operations.

I never did hear any shooting, so why worry!

At this dock we would sometimes put the shrimp on trucks to be transported back to Puntaranas, to be processed, rather than return there with the boat.

We continued this until late 1990 when it started looking like the war really had ended with the elections in Nicaragua.

Bill and I had a little one on one meeting, and we decided to take the boat back to the states, and sell her.

He had other directions he wanted to go, and working in Nicaragua legally, was not one of them at the time, given the recent history of political unrest and armed conflict.

I did, I thought it would give me something to write about in my old age, going thru it’s reconstruction first hand, plus the adventure of doing it!

Benjamin, a fellow expat, who was in charge of processing at the Borda Azul plant in Costa Rica, and had known my Dad while we worked out of Marathon Fla. when I was a kid.

Ben and my Dad were about the same age.

Ben had been talking to me about business opportunities opening up in Nicaragua when the war ended.

I had decided to throw in with him, and go to Puerto Cabezas Nicaragua, to start up a Fresh Fish operation, targeting Snapper and Grouper.

Ben was a ballsy Ex-Marine of Jewish descent that had been in the Fishing industry all his life also.

The elections happened, the US opened travel to Nicaragua for it’s citizens, but warned us about the hazards of personal safety and of making investments as well, but we decided to make it happen anyway.

But first Bill and I had to return the boat to the states and put her on the market.