Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: YouTube of the day

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: YouTube of the day

Camping steve sets up an Ice Hut, cooks rice and watches TV inside Ice hut with a LiFePO4 battery pack...

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Martin reflects on another visit to Northern Minnesota cabin

Blog Entries

Andrew C pours concrete on his castle deck..

Blog Entries

Red Poppy Ranch laments over LiFePO4 batts after their Lead Acid bank whent to sulphate failure after 2 and a bit years...

Blog Entries

Young Will gets to talk to one of the largers manufacturerers (US based) of LiFePO4 batteries. While specific to Low temp charging but they also go over some of nuances of high temperature charge and storage.

Our friend Will always provides a lot of valuable detail in his presentations.

Just the opposite in the previous video

It's hard to believe that the batteries lasted two or three years, $7K worth.
    Those were some nice batteries too.

The fact of the matter is,, it's tough to charge lead acid 100% with a generator. Great for a fast bulk charge, but if you don't get that last 10%, you will lose it to sulphation eventually.

Then 10% of the remaining 90%,, and so on.
    And this is what kills a lead acid battery in stationary service. So, even if you are maintaining the battery, and avoiding over discharge,, if you don't bring your battery back up to 100% within a reasonable point in the cycle,, you will lose some percentage of capacity. And that last 10% takes forever with LA.

One of those new inverter generators, perhaps,, that adjust speed to load.

This is what I have,, although I don't have Trojans. I use the readily available -especially here in Tucson- golf cart batteries from Costco. The bank above cost me $2K. and came into Nicaragua before the "situation". I've been thinking of adding another 225 AH, another 8 225AH batteries at 6 volts.

I use to charge at a maximum of 60 VDC from the solar panels. My max voltage now is 58.5 I could charge higher than 60, it won't hurt the batteries as long as they have water,, and it does avoid stratification and the necessity of equalization. The problem is,, my inverter shuts off at 62 VDC, and a bump, like the welder coming off line,, allows the voltage to bump for a fraction of a second. The big inverter (220V, 6-12 Kilowatt) has to be manually reset, the smaller "house" inverter would automatically reset. The other problem with the higher voltage was water usage. Distilled water is pricey in Nicaragua. At 58.5 I add water four times a year, and not that much.

When we have beaucoup sun, the controller charges the batteries at 80 amps. That's 80 amps at 50+ volts, whatever the mppt controller is generating, could be 80 x 58.5. The maximum I see coming into the controller from the solar panels is about 110VDC. When the batteries tell the controller that "I'm full,, I can't eat another bite",, the controller drops and maintains the voltage at 55 VDC. "Here, finish your plate and you can have ice cream". That is when the final bit of sulfate leaves the plates and returns to the electrolyte.

This happens pretty consistently from April through September. I have way more power than I can use.
    Then the days get shorter, the angle of the sun more obtuse, more overcast (although I generate significant power from an overcast sky in the summer).

I don't see the lithium batteries as that much of an advantage at the moment. What I need is more consistent power October through February. My options are wind, and the time of year I need the power is windier, and the wind often blows at night; a small generator,,such as the 2000 watt inverter generators readily available; a hydro setup, extremely consistent, available day or night, turn a valve on the penstock, and that time of year I have the water because of the steady rain.

The inverter generator would cost $500,, Costco has a nice Yamaha right now, Harbor Freight always has the 2KW for $449 on special. But, the gas . . . .the cost, getting it up to the farm, and gas in the campo is very desirable. So, always the issue of theft.

The wind,, I can get a decent 1KW for $1000, and it would require a minimal amount for installation and wiring. I only get the 1KW when the wind blows 25 MPH,, but I would get something a lot of the time at that time of year. Basically, I need to cover the incubator (175) , the brooders (2 x 135 at the moment), the yard light at 34, some other smaller lights, the refrigerator and freezer. I could put a timer on the freezer, it doesn't get opened at night. We are planning for another incubator, and we could divide the brooders, so two more heat lamps (another 175 plus another 2 x 135). I'd like to light the chicken area a bit, maybe another 6 - 8 hours/night, some 260 watts of LED. I would sell hatched chicks, eggs, and meat chickens. If I move the hatching eggs to the brooders the last two-three days, --and they would be better off there,, I could do fifty a week. I've found some cheaper feed in Chinandega,, and it ALMOST pencils out.

Hydro, a 1KW generator is inexpensive. It will be charging batterias, so control of frequency not important, and the voltage is going to pass through a controller, so the actual voltage would be determined by controller I purchase. The higher the voltage, the less line loss,, but we're only talking 1 KW here, so not much line loss, even with the run I'm facing. But, I would have to put in a 4" penstock from my lake to the lowest part of the farm. I could probably get away with sanitario, it's cheap, and tubo de presion is expensive and hard to come by. I would be looking at about 50lbs of actual pressure. I have some areas along the way that could be irrigated in the summer, when I won't need the hydro,, so the pipe would do double duty.

The pipe would have to be supported, probably 2 inch rectangular uprights, set into a concrete footing every ten feet. That's a lot of weight, just the water sitting in the pipe. I'll probably need some support between the uprights, a 2 inch perlin welded to the uprights, under the pipe.

With careful gluing and a good PVC cement, the pipe tarred with Henry's or the equivalent to protect it from UV,, I'd probably be looking at changing the bearing in the generator every five years. I'd take the water from the bottom of the lake,, about two feet from the bottom, build a screened well of cinder blocks.
    I might get a little silt,, but nothing else in the intake. I had a friend with a hydro operation in the Sierra Nevada. He had literally unlimited power in terms of water available from a creek with a steep fall, but he fought endlessly with his intake getting clogged with leaves, branches.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 01-11-2020 at 03:55 PM.

Blog Entries

But is the details that get you

According to the trojan data sheet and user guides 70% to 100% is the sweet spot to run the batteries for 1200 to 1300 cycles. So you are really talking 67A/h or 3200Wh x2 banks for 6400 watt hours total.

That is not bad, I doubt any house (In Niclandia) would really use 6400Kwh in a day and they may push the real world use to 2000 cycles - about 5 yrs.

Now up here in Polite-i-stan T105's are 300 Hudsons bay Pasos each so 16x300 equals 4800 bucks for 2X 48V 6.4Kw/h set up you show in the example below.

Cost About $2.48/day (Just batteries) over 2000 cycles

Now in LiPos

LiFeP04's are $175 Hudson Bay Pesos each (3.2V 100Ah) and you can run them to zero and pull the full 100A -

so
    case 1) lets make 2x48V banks for an equiv circuit. So I would need 15 (as they are 3.2V) cells each - 30 cells total

30 x 175 = $5250 bucks for the same voltage ...... BUT my available power is 9600Kw/h and it has 3000+ cycles

So calculating the money it is $1.75 day over 3000 cycles with almost double the power availibility

Case 2) Now if I were to drop is to equiv Kw/h (3200 each leg, 6400 total) by making it 36V times 2 -100A battery banks ( 22 cells)

22 x 175 = $3850

And again amortizing over 3000 cycles it would be $1.28 day.

So in the end LiFePO4 costs 1/2 of AGM to run

Both need spares (one or two cells) so that is about equal except the AGM needs maintenence while the LiPOs do not they can just sit.

NOW - All of this is moot if my test case of LiPOs get pinched from my test shipping box this coming spring - But I will try probably just send 4 for a 12V 100A test set up.

Blog Entries

Michigan/Alaskan cabin buddy goes over how to throw things out and give things away..

Blog Entries

Young Will gives some truly GOBSMACKING numbers on what he makes...

Blog Entries

Camping with Steve gets a spot on the local news...

What I finally came to realize is that I don't have a battery problem, I have a power problem at a certain time of year. Although I could discharge a LI Ion battery deeper,, it really doesn't help if I don't have the power to put back in the next day.

So, I found a charger that more accurately matches the output of the generator I currently have. China to Optima Cargo in Miami,, to Managua. It worked once before.

We'll turn off the incubator for a while, and buy some chicks.
    By end of February the the sun will move higher in the sky, the angle of incidence will be less, and the days will be longer. It's a short term solution,, but effective as long as I am willing to buy the gas.

Next will be a wind generator. I have my eye on a "Tumo-Int" 5 bladed 1 KW with a mppt controller. Wind is interesting,, you have to dump the excess power when the batteries are fully charged. I have a 40 gallon electric water heater I can use for the purpose. Wind seems to be most consistently available when the seasons change. And of course,, the wind blows at night when I need it most.

I have an existing tower that I can use to support a three inch,, then two inch pipe to hold the wind generator.

If this were Tucson, I could have it all in place by end of the month. The charger comes from China via DHL,, and the Tumo comes from Amazon, The Chinese will put the 30 AMP 230 volt plug on the charger that mates with the generator, and beefy ring terminals on the output leads,, so that's a simple plug in installation. The existing tower will allow me to strap the wind generator support pipe to the tower for a stable installation.

But,, as Dorothy says, "Toto,, we're not in Kansas anymore" , so who knows how long it will take to get the wind generator in place. But, it doesn't matter. Time is on my side.

The final icing on the cake will be the hydro. The lake holds substantial water year around, but it will only refresh sufficiently to be of use for an extended period of time during the rainy season.

I decided against even investigating the Disnorte option. It's not an investment grade decision. Today the internet was out for a few hours,, probably due to a power failure.

The hydro will be a lot of work, mostly centered on installing the penstock. The hydro generator will be a piece of cake,, and since I don't need frequency control,, and am only looking at 1 KW, a simple controller with a dump load option will do nicely.

Blog Entries

So it looks like the Santa Fe is not going to make the trek down south. It is just too much trouble for the value of the car. So as I really don't like the Sante Fe it is time to get her unloaded.

Took two Nissan Fronteirs out for a run and just today a 2017 (more blue than this) tacoma TRD pro with the 6 speed manual. The Tacoma just "Feels" so much better - Yes we will also take out an F-150 but I have seemed to have talked myself into this one. It is over budget but I bet it could double as my casket when I kick the bucket 30 to 35 yrs from now :-)

Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 01-11-2020 at 12:16 PM.

Blog Entries

I had several vehicles over the years in the States and by far the best was my last one, a Toyota Tacoma TRD 4dr, rode and drove better than vehicles twice the price and had amazing resale value. Several guys I worked with had the Tundras and they all loved them. I would have bought Toyotas again and again.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

It's too bad that Nicaragua doesn't allow you to import old trucks any more. I got in two Ford F250's,,
    They are everywhere,, a guy could buy one in Mexico on the way down,,, or certainly in the US, and drive it into Mexico and have it gone through for a song. Mexico is full of US Fords, and parts everywhere, they are probably made there.

Save the body work and paint for Nicaragua, though.
    They do outstanding work for peanuts. Only the paint is expensive

So,, a snotty Ford F250 diesel for work, and something pretty to drive around.

Blog Entries

Convergencies of stories here.

Tim Horton was a great hockey player but also a pretty good business man. Born up in the sticks of Northern Onstario he got a break in hockey which lead to enough cash to start a Donut chain that bares his name and is part of Canadiana.

Wayne Gretsky is probably the greatest hocky player of all time grew up in Brantford Ontario which is where I grew up as well. They lived in North Brant the elder Gretsky is still a frequent patron to the family greenhouse.

The Donut chain has changed hands a few times since 1995 currently in the hands of Brazilian hedge fund Resturant Brands Intl , but still has a foot hold in Canadian culture.

Blog Entries

This.... Is/Was RUSH....

Blog Entries

Billy's not dead yet..

Blog Entries

Nik Wallenda will walk tightrope/high-wire across mouth of Volcan Masaya - Mar 4

Those sulfurous fumes can be acidically noxious at times.

Hey, it's a job. Beats 9 to 5, 40 X 50 weeks/year, if ya got the cajones . . . and live to spend it.

They really need some better access, a viewing bridge that extends out a bit.
    I understand that the original viewing point was further down the hill, with a better view ??

It's not a bad experience now, but it got pretty crappy when there were a lot of tourists.
    I'm always amazed that there is no one up there selling . .. . something.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    . . . and live to spend it.
    Or twisted - Live if you can suspend it... (Sorry)

Blog Entries

Advoko makes a cool Vacuum separator.

I need to whip up one of these.

Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 01-16-2020 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Advoko makes a cool Vacuum separator.

I need to whip on of these.

Slick!

Now I know what I am going to do with the brand new whole house vacuum I bought, and have been moving and storing for five years!

Harbor freight has a similar unit,, but substantially bigger.

We used it on our book binder to control the dust from the carbide tool that roughed the book block prior to applying glue for the cover spline.

Blog Entries

So I have a High 'n Dry Sante Fe , 2011 6 speed with a 2.4L engine - Had it since 2016 and is up to 221,000k/km, 133Kmi. It has been a trooper but it is oh so bland...

Also with the new plot up north we need something more substantive to haul stuff.

You may have recalled in the past that we were planning to send the High and dry down to Niclandia.

Well that plan has been tossed to the waste bin which releases the shackles.

Originally I went looking for a cheap pick up, but 9K became 15K, which then became 20K which ran up to 30K and finally ended up driving a 2017 6 speed Tacoma which was $38K

Well then I poked the balloon and returned to earth. Back 15 yrs ago I bought a Diesel Montero (Pajero) and ran it for 12 years. It was a blast and the only thing that was of issue was a reliable mechanic to handle the things I could not take on and a lot of parts that had to be shipped from the UK (Expensive) .

So I wound back to a Right Hand drive Japan car/truck. So as of Monday I have a broker looking for a truck for me there to bring back to Canada.

The 1996 to 2002 Prado are exactly the same running gear as the same year 4Runner / Tacoma - And being Gas my current major Job mechanic can work on it - Checking Rock Auto via the part numbers I can get Disks, Drums, shocks, shoes, pads, CV axles the whole enchilada.

If I get a really good copy (Below 60kMi and very good condition I will probably adapt it to Propane dual run as well.

Taken care of this thing should take to my grave - Maybe could even double as a Casket.

Blog Entries

This one shows the long wheel base and the oh so awesome 3.0L diesel. So mine will be a meld of the 2 videos.

Those diesels are the on the road in Niclandia and are for sure on our short list for there...

Blog Entries

Westen goes over his repaint of his salvage Cummins 3500

Odd enough the 2019 Ram 3500 had the worst quality raiting for 2019 so far - Everything other the engine is a problem on that truck

As an aside a awesome deal popped up on a 1997 Prado at 2:46 yesterday aft - Broker snagged it by 3:30PM EST and it was all paid up by 8PM. Now it has 6 weeks on a boat.

I'll start another thread on it...

Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 121718192021222324 LastLast