Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: YouTube of the day

Default Re: YouTube of the day

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    A common thread I see, other than "cabin in the woods," is tractors. As a city boy I can only imagine how a tractor would have been a horse a hundred plus years ago. Not sure which is easier to feed and maintain.

tractors.

I couldn't let this one slip by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ73NKS3B1c

Jerry is a germophobe,,, there is another one where one of his GF's dropped her toothbrush in the toilet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-upLl_zWb0

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    This is NB88 (Not sure what that is in reference too)

He has a cabin in the woods up in northern Maine and (IIRC) has a 6V cell based 24V / 400 w solar set up for his cabin.

Just a good ol' boy in the woods with his tractor (Korean I think Kiodi) Sig fire arms, steak beer along with bear and moose.

He actually makes some good points.

"You've got to know how much power you need"

You also have to know when you need it. At this time,, I get up in the mornings and check battery charge,, before I turn anything on I'll have 50.0 or 49.0 volts. That is pretty close to a fully charged battery. I have a big yard light,, 34 watts of LED that runs over night, and when Shelley is not here, I leave two lamps on,, 8 watt led each (equivalent to 60 watt incandescent). The freezer runs overnight, as does the the fridge.

During the rainy season,, we have one electric blanket going. It can get cold and damp overnight here.
    I do have to run a generator and charge the batteries once in a while,, especially if we are using a lot of tools.

Once things get trucking,, we use a lot of power. But, as soon as the sun hits the panels,, we MAKE a lot of power.
    I make coffee for everyone early on. Lupe arrives at 8AM, has her coffee,, makes another pot usually, and then loads the washer. Her 13 YO daughter is on the payroll now, 50 cords per day. She cleans the pig pens and the chicken areas, feeds and waters. I don't think that either the chickens or pigs care,, but I do.
    When Shelley is not here,, Lupe brings her 3 YO. She knows that I'm a sucker for kids.
    Sebastian is in a pre-school, took to it like a duck to water. Lupe's 13 YO should be in school, but refuses to go

Lupe used to hang the wash out if it was sunny,, she still does,, but she's gotten lazy too. Why not, we have the power,, and fluffed with a dryer sheet the clothes are soft.
    So,, the dryer. Chargers for the computers,, everyone's phones,, a nickel here, a dime there.

Every other,, or third day,, she will bake a loaf of bread. The machine doesn't take much to mix,, but when it bakes,, it takes 800 watts, for a little over an hour. She will use the microwave some getting lunch ready,, depending. After lunch,, she runs the dishwasher, and generally uses a small Stinger vac to pull dust out of the corners.

If it's cold and damp,, the new chicks get a 60 watt floodlight overnight. They grow a lot faster with this,, and I should really use an LED for all the chickens,,, because they will eat more -and that's the point. They eat and drink,, then pile into a big ball under the lamp,, wake up,, eat and drink,, through the night. I would probably get more eggs too.

The big users are the power tools, and the welder.
    Now for this,, it might be wise to just turn on a generator. To size up to cover these possibilities,,, really doesn't make sense,, and most of this power is going to be used in your construction phase.

I liked the video from the beginning because he made a cup of coffee using boiling water and a single cup filter/funnel. I like a cup of coffee in the afternoon,, with a stiff dollop of FDC,, and generally make a half pot. The rest gets used in the morning,, but his way of doing things makes a lot more sense.

He's right about another thing as well: invest in a very good mppt controller. You'll harvest substantially more power from your panels, and your batteries are treated gently. Batteries you can always add,, but your inverter you are stuck with. So, that is an important decision.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 05-14-2019 at 06:05 PM.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

BBQ Pit Boys

Meat, fire, smoke, beer Say no more.

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

BBQ Pit Boys

Meat, fire, smoke, beer Say no more.

Sex,,
    but later.

Blog Entries

While touting his own Horn (Pun yes) Trevor lays out how the 80's music both created the 80's sound and conversely set the workings of the destruction of what is historically called "Rock"

There is a parallel video of owner of a lonely heart, broken down track by track.

Trevor has a voice that indicates he "may have had some overindulgence" in his life time...

Blog Entries

This is "The Voice of the report of the week"

He is "Quite an odd bird". The fellow dresses like a 45 year old accountant in the 60's who happens to look 13 yrs old as one of his commenters stated ... (This is an audio clip, he shows his physical persona in other videos)

I ran across him from the "Two hands and a radio" fellow from a couple weeks back. He (VORW) actually buys parallel air time on shortwave radio and has a pretty good music program for an hour - Same show broadcasts Thursday, Saturday and Sundays. He also broadcasts his ramblings as in this broadcast as well.

He stumbled upon YouTube in his early teens and became a minor YouTube celebrity as "RevriewBrah"

Recently his music show was torpedoed on all of his social media channels because of music copyright. I am assuming that the radio stations have some blanket cover for copyright

He uses the attacks upon him for folly some times witch gives me a chuckle.

His main Schick is reviews of fast food which seems to give him a reasonable income. (Assumed)

Listening to him you can hear how he has been shit kicked in the past for how he is, but it seems to have grown quite a thick skin on him...

He once made a statement "My disappoint is immeasurable and my day is ruined " which has percolated up to a B grade meme...

Blog Entries

This is Retro Ontario

Retro ontario is a fellow who buys up old VHS tapes from thrift stores and yard sales and posts them to this channel - Ads, short clips, news intros etc.

Some of my fovorites were Irv Weinstein from Eywitness news 7 in Buffalo. Buffalo always had a "3 alarm blaze in Tonawanda tonight" ... Also Canadian news channels in Toronto and Hamilton and area.

This clip is from an ad for Smarties which is what the M&Ms were based off of - This ad compain spanned my childhood well in to the mid 90's in different forms and was recently revived.

Retro has a couple thousand clips of these old TV bits.

Blog Entries

I discovered mashups yesterday and subscribed to Bill McLintock’s channel since he’s the King of Mashups. He’s a soft spoken music teacher, and has the musical talent of a seasoned producer. The mashups range from mundane to hilarious to poignantly serious, bur rarely disappoint. Here he explains to his 50,000 subscribers how he does them.

Blog Entries

I took a break yesterday from Youtube Sunday doing the smoker at the trailer Sunday.

Going on Jonh's mash up this is a Zep Ozzy mash up that almost seems to be made for each other. Whole lot of love and War pigs.

Back a couple years back when I was commuting for an hour each way the Jurassic rock channel (Q107 toronto) did one every Monday at 5:30 and there were some gems. Like Michael Jackson and metallica that just complimented each other in so many ways.

Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 05-20-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Blog Entries

That's a good one. I like the Soul Metal that Bill McClintock produces.

Blog Entries

This is Russel and "Raspberry Rock"

Raspberry Rock is a 600sq ft cabin in the County of Tweed, about 300km east from here.

There is a part of the Ontario Zoning code where you can build up to 600 sq ft without a bunch of hassle on 80 acres and above in an organised township (e.g more than bush and bears, less than a city or county) North of Tweed is such a place.

If I would build it would be more like this guy, dimensional lumber, OSB and modern windows. Not like that other fellow (My self reliance which has axe, brace and hand drawn log shaver.)

This video is from 2 yrs back - He now has the solar all wired, the T&G pine walls and a loft furnished with pull down stairs and a walk way between the two lofts.

Social blade shows a pull in of 2K to 17K US - Which probably puts him at $10K / yr

Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 05-21-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Interesting.... $10,000 per year for the most utterly boring video on the planet.

I am in the wrong business.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

This was about the time (2yrs ago) I stumbled upon his channel - Since then the place is nicer and the videos better - You find many of these folks really suck in the first year but seem to find their legs or just stop - A good unique angle and persistence seems to be the key, as it is with everything else..

Blog Entries

Not 100% boring, it had airplanes in it.

Blog Entries

If you want to know S#it, you turn to the BBC ...

This is "The Toilet An Unspoken history" - It is a BBC bit from 2012 that some fellow called "Random Crap"

One of the most frustrating thing about "The Tube" is how pieces are obviously copyright (like this one) but others you can't grasp why (Someone driving by with the windows down playing a song on your video that youtube flags for CR infraction)

Anyways - Time to take this thread down the toilet...

Blog Entries

This is D-Labs - He fixes electronics as well.

He does both Radio and old guitar amps.

This is the un-moding of a Fender amp - His humor is pretty poor but the boat anchors (What Tub equipment is called) he works on are pretty cool.

Blog Entries

This couple is named "Tangerine Travels"

A late 20 something couple that have been gallivanting through Mexico for the past year. They drive a Orange Prius, hence the channel name.

I ran across them with a suggested channel from that JC adventures from a couple weeks back.

They are irritating in a way 20yr olds are to 50 yr olds in the typical ways (Vernacular, finances etc etc) but they do have a realistic reflection of lifewhile being entrenched in Mexico.

Social blade show them making something like $20K / yr from the "DooTube..."

Blog Entries

The incomes that you mention are staggering to me. If this kind of money is being spent, ultimately the spenders are spending their advertising dollars this way instead of the "old" way. So who is losing? Magazines? Newspapers? Television? All of the above?

So I just watched as much of the video as I could stand....... How often do they post to earn 20K per year?

Their audience must be travel junkies who never travel and want to lead their life vicariously?

Amazing!
    Last edited by Little Corn Tom; 05-24-2019 at 08:34 AM.

Blog Entries

I would say "All" - Have not read up on the US paper biz , but up in Canuckistan, there are only 2 paper chains left from 10, and 2 TV chains from 6 and 2 radio chains from over 20. And the remaining have announcements of cuts again and again every 6 to 8 months.

This is D-Labs - He fixes electronics as well.

He does both Radio and old guitar amps.

This is the un-moding of a Fender amp - His humor is pretty poor but the boat anchors (What Tub equipment is called) he works on are pretty cool.

Man, lots of nice, BIG discrete components to unsolder.
    Those were the good days, easy to figure out what was wrong, take voltage measurements.

Not like that any more.
    I bought a new Cuisinart coffee grinder at Sinsa in MGA, Mother's Day tent sale. I paid $60 with IVA, identical unit on Amazon $39 with free 1 day delivery.

My first one was working great when I left. It was non functioning when I returned with a soap scum on the internal circuit board.

I was able to rewire it, bypassing the board, it doesn't time out anymore, so I have to manually turn it off.

I suspect Lupe dunked it into the sink to clean it.

Today she managed to turn off the regulator for the gas tank when she changed tanks. I thought the dryer was
    running a long time, checked it, no heat.

Someone did the same to the hot water yesterday.

She does do a great job killing chickens

Blog Entries

This is 13prevail

He's a hard-working Newfoundlander (Some times called Newfies up here) who has done a few years back and forth to the Oil fields of Alberta. His cabin is on a rock, on the Rock (That's what Newfies call their island) It looks as the Alberta oil patch work has ebbed and flowed so has his work -

This is his 4 yr build summary - I actually just picked up on his channel again after 2 yrs after last Dec 18'th update. He has one from 3 months ago on how to preserve moose meet as well...

It is a nice looking place - In the Intro you will see icebergs drifting in the Atlantic.

Blog Entries

With over a billion users a month, Youtube easily dwarfs all legacy media. And with ownership of legacy media in the hands of just a few agenda driven control freaks, people are abandoning it in droves. Youtube is, of course, also owned by agenda-driven control freaks, but they’re happy to take in the weary hungry refugees longing for free expression and a quick buck. For now, at least.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Our coffee grinder croaked so I bought a used one on ebay to scrounge the plastic part that should have been metal. The next year it died again and we handed it off to our electrician who dabbles in electrodomesticos. He said it was a resistor or something. It now works but you have to push in on the front while grinding.

He fixed our microwave, but without access to a mother board now it goes on but the timer doesn't work you you have to manually turn it off. That's a real bomb waiting to explode! Speaking of microwaves, my brother is still using the one I gave my mother 20 years ago, but we have been through 3 or 4 since I've been here, surge protectors and all.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    With over a billion users a month, Youtube easily dwarfs all legacy media. And with ownership of legacy media in the hands of just a few agenda driven control freaks, people are abandoning it in droves. Youtube is, of course, also owned by agenda-driven control freaks, but they’re happy to take in the weary hungry refugees longing for free expression and a quick buck. For now, at least.
    I decided over 7 years ago that Facebook was like taking a crap in public.....why would anyone expose themselves in such a forum?

Blog Entries

This is Hovies garage - Just "a guy" in Kansas who buys cars, reviews them, fixes them, restores them (sometimes all 3) and does silly crap like burying them and wrecking them .has 650,000 subscribers

This one is Truly fascinating and frustrating... Social blade puts him at something between 150K and 200K /yr. He has moved from his typical US Suberbia 2000 something sq foot house to a monster mansion with a 10 car garage, all assumed from YouTube earning.

Usually it involves "I just bought the cheapest <insert car here> on Craigs list and this is what I got" He works in cohoots with "The Wizrd" who also has a Youtube channel that I will probably link next week.

In this episode, he loads Nitrus into a Prius and blows up the engine...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast