Thread: Guasaule, San Lorenzo, El Tigre Island

Default Guasaule, San Lorenzo, El Tigre Island

Following some positive reviews from Daddy-YO, we decided to check out the Gulf of Fonseca. Crossing at Guasaule was a new experience, but a similar experience to what we've seen recently,, 2 hours getting out of Nicaragua,, half hour getting into Honduras,, including the car permit. Nicaragua had people tripping over each over,, not a good way to run a 3rd World country. But, I assume Danny knows what he is doing.

We over nighted in San Lorenzo,, kind of a neat place,, got well shrimped and found a nice hotel room for $32. Moving on to Isla Tigre the next morning,, I inspected the car ferry (pic attached) and decided to park the car and take a panga. 15 Limps,, with the Lempira trading at 24.36 to the dollar.

On arriving, we got some more shrimp and then took the Tuk Tuk nickel tour,, which cost us $16 . There are some nice beaches,, very limited infrastructure, some hotels,, nice restaurants almost non existent. We ate Pupusas that night,,, and could not find any coffee the following morning. We had come back to Amapala,, hoping to find something more elegant,, but,, again, no luck.

Quite frankly,, El Tigre was a disappointment . San Lorenzo was OK,, but nothing to write home about. It's very hot and humid,,

The next morning we had some more shrimp,, I had a delicious fillet with shrimp on top, at a very nice hillside restaurant looking out over the inlets running to the shrimp farms. We bought some decent sized fresh shrimp,, ten pounds at about $3.75 pound, and I buried them in the ice at the bottom of the ice chest. It's a scenic area, but very hot and humid.

Everything was going great until we hit the Nicaraguan border. Again,, Honduras was probably 20 minutes,, get a passport stamp and cancel the permiso. We re-entered at El Espino, and were immediately asked for our Solicitud. I explained that we were just out of Nicaragua for a total of four days,, quickie vacation. We still had to do it,, they did it for us and let us cool our heels for a couple of hours to drive the point home. There was a car load of El Salvadorenos and a couple from Guatemala,, same deal, we all had to serve out our time. The El Salvador and Guatemala cars were on their way to Panama,, and just wanted to quickly pass through Nicaragua.

The website clearly states that tourists are exempted from the Solicitud, and no one arriving at the airport is bothered. Ana,, the Migracion jefa,, came out to get a Rosquilla and coffee,, so I had the chance to engage her in a bit of conversation. "Airport,, no,, but any land crossing,, yes you need it . . "

" ..But,,, I went to CR for a short vacation two months ago,, and Penas Blancas said nothing about it coming back..."

Ana was kind of masculine,, in her forties.
    I said to Shelley,, "If you were nice to Ana we wouldn't have these problems . . "
    I got an answer that sounded like,,, "with your ten foot tongue . . . . If you want to be nice to her,, YOU do it"

Probably for being so dependably obnoxious they ran my truck with the ice chest and two small back pack muletas through the scanner. I looked weird,, sandwiched between the semi's.
    After about sixteen people looked at the truck (but never opened the back packs),, I got signed off,, and headed down the road. At least they didn't make me sleep in the truck like last time.

We picked up three really young PN hitchhikers which saved us a Transito stop,,, although Transito looked longingly at me as I drove past.
    "A Gringo,,, there has to be something wrong with his papers. Or maybe,, he doesn't have a reflector.
    Tona, RostiPollo, I could see it vanish in their eyes.

Que Mala fortuna!!"

Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: Guasaule, San Lorenzo, El Tigre Island

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Quite frankly,, El Tigre was a disappointment .
    Sorry if you feel I misled you. We enjoyed the place some 12 yrs ago, on what was our 'honeymoon' tour. Our hotel with pool was a bit above Amapala, with a spectacular view of the island region, and good meals (steaks, as I recall). I remember they served us cold beers while we were in the pool. A pleasant couple days.
    Last edited by Daddy-YO; 04-17-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

That video makes it look very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Sorry if you feel I misled you. We enjoyed the place some 12 yrs ago, on what was our 'honeymoon' tour. Our hotel with pool was a bit above Amapala, with a spectacular view of the island region, and good meals (steaks, as I recall). I remember they served us cold beers while we were in the pool. A pleasant couple days.
    We weren't there long enough to really check it out. We looked at one nice hotel with a view from a terrace and a clean pool,, but no WiFi. I couldn't find a hotel anywhere with wifi, or a restaurant , so bought a "used" chip. The woman selling the chip didn't sell recarga,, so it was a leap of faith. It all worked out.

Not that it was a bad experience at all. I just expected more of the island in terms of infrastructure, restaurants.
    A Tuk Tuk rental. A coffee house. I'm a simple man with simple wants.
    There is plenty of Honduran money, that area coming into Espino around San Marco's used to be deserted. It's exploded with development in the last five years, clearly Tegus money.

Blog Entries

Sounds like 1990s Nicaragua.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Sounds like 1990s Nicaragua.
    could be. Golfo de fonseca in the 90 s. Was right out of the 60s