Thread: New Transito Scam

Default New Transito Scam

This one is foolproof,, in terms of tourists at least.

Transito now mails back your confiscated license, rather than you going to Transito Central to pick it up. That worked ok if the guy remembered to take it out of his pocket. Mailing would be a huge improvement as long as you have an address.

For a tourist, that's a problem
    You're in SJdS today, Granada tomorrow, Bluefields next week. So, you pay the bribe.

As the transito holds his block of yellow tickets up, pen poised, he asks if your address is
    "confiable"??
    The implication, pay the bribe or kiss your license goodbye.

I haven't been bothered at all recently, but yesterday was stopped twice for passing where I shouldn't (that's most of Nicaragua). This was just south of Esteli.

Both played the address game, but I politely asked them to just mail the license to my post office box in Estelí.

Two can play this game. I was well dressed, and one way you know that they are angling for a bribe is the engage you in idle conversation.

So, I casually mentioned that I was on my way to Managua for the Friday celebration, and that I was an invited guest of the Nicaraguan government.

Suddenly, my license was too hot to handle!
    "Tomala! Que vanya bien"

The key here is ,, never get upset, run out the clock,, they don't want to give you a ticket,, nothing in it for them.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Transito Scam

One of the great bennies of the post-coup era is the ticket traps have disappeared. The cops are trying to avoid "unhappy" encounters with the public so only stop and search trucks and vans for contraband.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

A few months back I rented a new Toyota Corolla from Casa Pellas for a week of touring Nicaragua. It flew; I passed everything on the highways. Never stopped by transito. Coming back from the beach one waved me over, but he was busy with another motorist so I waved back and drove on.

I did get tailed by a new, black mega-SUV after leaving Juigalpa. He came up behind me at real high speed, so I figured he was heat and drove steady to let him pass. But he dropped back a couple hundred yards and stayed with me for several miles and then disappeared. Since I was coming from the general direction of RAAS-Bluefields I assume he was equipped to monitor me electronically for weapons. We did see one pulled over on that same road, with the cop holding up what looked like the guy's old deer rifle.

Little by little more paved roads are getting laid there. There's some beautiful scenery in those mountains, and some very nice places to stay at give-away prices.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

monitor me electronically for weapons”

How do they do that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    monitor me electronically for weapons” How do they do that?
    My WAG: using surveillance gear purchased from Israel they'd listen into our conversation via cellphones (not in use) and scope our recent journey by tapping the car's GPS. Any talk related to arms would trigger action. As stated, a WAG.

It's likely they'd checked our plate, ID'd it as rental & me as tourist and thus dropped pursuit, after a long tail. In a dictatorship/police state, a little paranoia is not unhealthy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    My WAG: using surveillance gear purchased from Israel they'd listen into our conversation via cellphones (not in use) and scope our recent journey by tapping the car's GPS. Any talk related to arms would trigger action. As stated, a WAG.

It's likely they'd checked our plate, ID'd it as rental & me as tourist and thus dropped pursuit, after a long tail. In a dictatorship/police state, a little paranoia is not unhealthy.
    Do you line your hat with aluminum foil by any chance?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Which Nicaraguan government employees would have the skill to do that?

If they were monitoring drug or migrant smugglers, I can understand; they need to get POS his cut.

Which Nicaraguan government employees would have the skill to do that?

Line their hats with aluminum foil?

Blog Entries

That, too!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Do you line your hat with aluminum foil by any chance?
    Hey, now that you mention it . . . Remember the kerfuffle in Cuba (& parts of China) where US State Dep't employees (esp., CIA folk) suffered unexplained brain injuries? "Victims felt bursts of sound and pressure that left them dizzy and racked with headaches. No known cause seemed to fit." (NYer, Nov 2018) Wasn't the embassy in Havana eventually reduced to minimal operation or shut down?

Well, it seems evident that directed microwave energy was used to cook their grey matter slightly. (see US patent #4,959,559). Had they protected themselves with a metal foil lined cap . . . did you ever short out a microwave oven with it? . . . injuries could have been avoided and they could have destroyed the source. Instead they fled the 'diplomatic' battlefield.