Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A bit of spin

Default Re: A bit of spin

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    And as you hash out the Slavery Issue I will be on Island celebrating their emancipation here. August 27th is Crab Soup.
    No seas malo! You made me feel like a heel, and not the wrestling kind.

The history of slavery and the origins of the "Carne" Islands is fascinating. What I wouldn't give to be wifaless and have some time to do some actual deep research into the goings on, on the history and intricacies of those islands.

Enjoy yourself boss, that is a great place to be and I sure wish I was around there.

Question for you, all the times I was on the Big Island, every taxi ride back then was $1 usd or the close to Cord equivalent (At least the ones I took). What are they going for now? And is there plenty of gogo juice on the island? One of the first times I was there circa 2004 or so they had run out of gas on the island and it was a big biscuit eating bitch to get around those few days. A bike was a many treasured thing.

To give you an idea of how the MF'ing world turns and such, I am working at putting in a plant in a small town across from Rio Grande City, Texas, where I worked for like 9 years back in the day. It was the easiest cheesiest border crossing that I ever experienced from TJ to Browntown. Nowadays due to the Trump-AMLO-CentAm migrant fiasco, and it is a fiasco, the lines are the proverbial big biscuit eating bitch. I went and bought a bike and I clandestinely park on the US side and pay a quarter to cross and have someone pick me up on the Mexican side or I ride into town when it isn't elventymillion degrees, which is rare mind you. So here I am, many years removed from the Corn Island gas shortage riding a bike where the price of gas, for the corn laced stuff, is about $2.00 a gallon. Hijo de la gran puta, take me back to Nicaragua.

Blog Entries

Taxis still less than $1 anyplace you want to go. No gas problems but over the yrs have seen some.

The island is now operating on solar power, kind of. Bunker fuel for electric was a big concern to me when this all started, the solar plant was planned before the situation and surprisingly went forward and is now complete.

Everyone expecting the fest to be a bit weak this yr due to economy but is always a good time.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Chilo stumbled upon Canal4's fb page this evening She, then we laughed and laughed... Citizens commenting on how the glorious revolution had cleaned the water and took away their trash they praised..
    Is really hard to tell how much of the shit the true believers are swallowing, or how much they are spitting out. What I have seen is that many if not most are resigned to the "new normal".
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

A wise man once wrote, "...mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Our trash truck has not arrived 2 weeks in a row, so much for public sanitation. Enacal has now said it dos not want our neighborhood wastewater system because it is not profitable.The gov and public utilities are quietly cutting back for lack of funds.
    Plus you have to look at the psychological side of the equation-- now anybody who doesn't want to do something only has to mumble "la cituacion" and they get a free pass.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    And as you hash out the Slavery Issue I will be on Island celebrating their emancipation here. August 27th is Crab Soup.
    How is it this year?

When was the emancipation there, what year? Being as the Atlantic coast was part of 'British Honduras' or British territories at the time and England ended slavery in 1833, I'm guessing it was close to that time.

Nicaragua was founded in 1821, Sept 15. Could this have something to do with the timing of getting the blue & white out, or is it too early? Or is it the OAS visit coming up? It may just be that the Ortegas/Sandinistas just now realized that the next presidential election will be in the year of Nicaragua's bicentennial when it would not be wise to fight the blue & white.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

If not mistaken is 178th yr, celebration is looking worse than weak tis yr, will know in few hrs. Drums did beat at 4am, will see.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

What weak ?? El 19 and is gushing on their Instagram with photo after photo of the goings on <wink wink>

FYI

El 19 followers on Stink-da-gram 20,000

La Prensa - Followers on Stink-da-gram 179,000

Da Fazebook

El 19 117,000 Like/follow

La Prensa 1,300,000 Like/Follow

It is like less than 10% of society that is buying this shite. And a take away from el duende grande post is Alcadia: "Don't spend any money on fuel parts or material or the like as we need to pay the faithful with what little cash we have on hand"
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 08-27-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

If a rising tide floats all boats, what does a sinking tide do???

I imagine anybody who relies on imported parts is getting a little squeamish right now, modern NGO trash truck included. Where this threatens expats dumb enough to live here is that if sanctions are increased there could be a lot of shortages and formal or informal actions against expats. If anything happens to my AC I am out of here! The longer I live here the more painfully I realize why much Latin
    American development was on high plateaus like San Jose, Mexico, Bogota where it isn't hot all the time.

No hard data on the next US recession or guestimation of how hard it will be. Dems want it before the elections, repubs want it after. Either way, in its weakened state Nic should take a substantial hit. Scary thought of the day is that China may very well pick the next US president by signing or not signing a trade deal.

Find it surprising they are blowing canal smoke again. Logic dictates that the gov must have a line on financing, but I cannot imagine who. One of the saddest things about the whole canal thing is it ended the Monkey Point Train system which seemed like a doable winner.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 08-27-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Our trash truck has not arrived 2 weeks in a row, so much for public sanitation. Enacal has now said it dos not want our neighborhood wastewater system because it is not profitable.The gov and public utilities are quietly cutting back for lack of funds.
    Plus you have to look at the psychological side of the equation-- now anybody who doesn't want to do something only has to mumble "la cituacion" and they get a free pass.

It is a bad situation on the trash pickup. We had no trash pickup from June 21st to August 2nd. I had to find the dump and take our trash unlike my neighbors who just threw the trash in the lake. I do feel your pain the trash can get pretty ripe in the heat here.

Blog Entries

Ah, fond memories of British Honduras, one of the first stamps on my passport. It was an enchanted little place with pictures of Queen Elizabeth Hanging on the walls of Indian grass shacks. Sad to hear of their state of emergency because of gang violence in Belize City. Always wanted to revisit but I hate hot and sticky and it is just as inconvenient a location now as it was in 1972. That was part of its charm, the change is that I have grown weary of inconveniences.

It is the Mosquito Kingdom you are thinking of, a separate entity from British Honduras. The crafty Brits were sneaking down the coast of Central America with the only real opposition being those devilish Yank Imperialists and their Monroe Doctrine.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    How is it this year?

When was the emancipation there, what year? Being as the Atlantic coast was part of 'British Honduras' or British territories at the time and England ended slavery in 1833, I'm guessing it was close to that time.

Nicaragua was founded in 1821, Sept 15. Could this have something to do with the timing of getting the blue & white out, or is it too early? Or is it the OAS visit coming up? It may just be that the Ortegas/Sandinistas just now realized that the next presidential election will be in the year of Nicaragua's bicentennial when it would not be wise to fight the blue & white.

Blog Entries

If a rising tide floats all boats, what does a sinking tide do???
    Beached or stranded in the muck - thru which you'll have to carry out all your possessions. And hope that nobody robs your boat in the meanwhile.

Our landlord in Leon jodido (on account of the heat) cheaped out on us in many stages over the years. Early on he dropped municipal trash pickup. Instead two boys with a horse-drawn cart take it, but too often we have to call him to remind him to get it. At least he still answers the phone. Lord know if the trash makes it to the continually smoldering hilltop landfill populated by Nica untouchables. The wastewater-Enacal situation sounds more serious.

Hey, when I hit 'reply with quote', all of this below appeared that I don't see in you posting (a stealth posting?):
    I imagine anybody who relies on imported parts is getting a little squeamish right now, modern NGO trash truck included. Where this threatens expats dumb enough to live here is that if sanctions are increased there could be a lot of shortages and formal or informal actions against expats. If anything happens to my AC I am out of here! The longer I live here the more painfully I realize why much Latin
    American development was on high plateaus like San Jose, Mexico, Bogota where it isn't hot all the time.

No hard data on the next US recession or guestimation of how hard it will be. Dems want it before the elections, repubs want it after. Either way, in its weakened state Nic should take a substantial hit. Scary thought of the day is that China may very well pick the next US president by signing or not signing a trade deal.

Find it surprising they are blowing canal smoke again. Logic dictates that the gov must have a line on financing, but I cannot imagine who. One of the saddest things about the whole canal thing is it ended the Monkey Point Train system which seemed like a doable winner.
    China would love to think they've got that much sway. May be a lot of laundered renmimbi backing the most commie-leaning Dem (forget Russiagate).
    I haven't seen any recent canal smoke signals. Tampoco Monkey Pt train.

Blog Entries

Ortega says it is still on the agenda. Keep the faith. Aug 14th at Naval Forces anniversary:
    «Nosotros no hemos renunciado, y al contrario, tenemos con el pueblo nicaragüense, históricamente tenemos el compromiso que se haga realidad el canal en Nicaragua. Ustedes saben que se ha trabajado, está en la fase de preparar nuevamente los estudios medioambientales, que ya se había presentado pero debían hacer ajustes», dijo esta noche el dictador.

Beats me about the post. Puters work their magic in mysterious ways.

Blog Entries

I had been warned Soup would be bad this yr, and it was a bit lackluster. Got to see few old friends, talk about past Soups and some of the fun had.

Last yr was worst lobster season in ages, this yr not looking much better, no tourist, la situación, combined make a sad ass Coast.

Lot of old traditions are slipping away as the older heads leave us.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

There is a certain meltdown of civil society. things like the new park in Esteli are met with mixed feelings, some peeple calling it a sandi vote getting gimmick. (In a country where children can vote in presidential elections, parks and sport stadiums are a big deal). Some other peeple in a cow town are glad as hell to see something new, and this park was planned before the crisis.

Maxipali removed its conveyor check stands and replaced them with fixed ones, size Too Small. Bring your own 02, the fans are rarely on. La Colonia now has new medium and child size shopping carts. AC turned down to a human friendly level, one of the great results of the crisis. They had Freeze-dry AC before , like Ticabus.
    Lotta belt tightening in the future or revenge of the bean counters in the supers?

Blog Entries

I moseyed over to END yesterday and found that they too are now a "pay to read" site as well (Like La Prensa)

I tried to pay to La Prensa to subscribe but they do not take paypal and I am not comfortable to give my Credit Card. Not because of any real reason of serious fraud (Canadian laws limit you to $50 of non authorized transactions) but just the supreme hassle of changing all of your "Stuffs" if your card is compromised.

Blog Entries

Just went to La Prensa - They now do take Pay Pal - Sub'ed for one month, depending on what I think of their pay site I may go for the year after the month is over (You save $20 / yr for the full year sub)

Blog Entries

Had been more and more paid content. Unfortunately they have a general misunderstanding of how newspaper biz works, advertising dollars based on readership, the subscriptions will never generate enough to make up for lost advertising.

And both END and LP been real light on any news lately.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

If I wanted to pay for news I would subscribe to the Wall Street Journal. Why? Years ago I worked with a commie who read the WSJ in the break area every morning. I asked him why a commie would read the WSJ and he replied that it was the only factual and honest daily in the United States.
    But I don't want to pay for news, so there! Fox, UPI, and al Jezeera get me by for free.

Blog Entries

Two weeks ago I broke down and subscribed to the NYTimes, $1/wk for a year. Sure it ain't as simply factual as WSJ but it does some excellent analyses. Ignoring 99% of its leftie BS ranting makes it easy to skim and dig where worthwhile. Top notch world coverage. And it's more attuned to cyber-cold-war happenings. It's updates on LAm ain't bad, tho hawkish (yes). The bit on Argentine economics & WTO mismanagement was good. Plus I like to stay up on US Jews'/Israelis' opinions. Sometimes its book (non-fiction) reviews are the best source of long-view info.

Otherwise it's TRN for the latest gossip on Nicaragua. Zuck-the-berg's FB minions closed me out; asked for photo ID to re-enter. Fug 'em.

Blog Entries

20 years ago we did pay for news all be it in directly - In the 80's I paid my $025 for a daily copy of the right of center Toronto Sun as I drove to work or went to school- In the 90's I subscribed to KW record - a centrist local paper with local news weather and some inserted pieces from AP can CP and it was something like $20 a month.

Then came news on the internet where it was "All Free" and all you needed to do is consume.

About 5 yrs ago I noticed how all of that was a farce and you really need to pay to get real news. As of now I pay for the National Post (Another Toronto based right of center paper Started by Conrad Black before all of his troubles in the early 00's) and now La Prensa. The only way you get people who are not hacks for click bait advertising of some covert force funded by <insert bogey man here> is to "actually fund a news gathering by your choice with your dollars". It worked before, it can work again.

Slowly people are noticing this.

I am also dropping $10 here and there to the Guardian as I see fit...

Blog Entries

What I've seen of the WSJ it's just as fake as the others. You couldn't pay me to read the NY Times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    You couldn't pay me to read the NY Times.
    I see a hurricane map in today's Times that shows it scooting up FL's east coast toward Jacksonville - in response to what you wrote?

Canada's PM Trudeau tweeted, "‘I’m rooting for a direct hit on Mar a Lago!’" Love it!

But this guy seems to know best,

Blog Entries

The forecast for us is no more than 45mph winds (always subject to change). As Dorian gets closer to NOAA buoys and airports we can read the wind data and see what the surface winds are. The wind speed aloft can be anything they want.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast