Thread: Mid Nov

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Mid Nov

We managed to score a good flight for the 2 of us for Nov

$444 CDN each . About $338 US

Toronto to Panama - 5 hr wait then Managua

Managua to Panama one hour 30 wait and back to Toronto.

This time I just bought the damn ticket when the price showed up rather than trying to chase it down a day or two later.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mid Nov

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    This time I just bought the damn ticket when the price showed up rather than trying to chase it down a day or two later.
    This sort of thing (airline tickets, hotels, concert tickets) is the only time an impulse purchase is wise.

From Jax it costs three times as much for the same mid-November travel, unless we use Spirit and have no luggage or whatever it is that jacks up their bait 'n switch prices. Double the distance costs 1/3 the price. At that rate it should cost about fifty bucks to fly to Australia.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    We managed to score a good flight for the 2 of us for Nov
    $444 CDN each . About $338 US Toronto to Panama - 5 hr wait then Managua
    Managua to Panama one hour 30 wait and back to Toronto.
    That's the price for a round trip? What airline?

That seems to be most airlines' game, for customers to act immediately, impulsively. Many a time I waited a day or so and the price always went up. AA offers a 24 hour 'hold' before forking over those dollars. I must look into Philly - Panama or San Jose or whatever CAm city wants to see more Nicas.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Copa Round trip...

Blog Entries

And just the stepon step off - id ness of PTY is appealing. Although the layover sucks..

The equivalent Scare Canada points flight was $500 (total cash) and 80,000 points. This way we get 800 points for buying (Could even be 1600 depending on how the CheapOair CC purchase is processed) and another 4,000 points for air miles it self as Copa is part of Star Alliance and my Scare Canada points accumulate with this flight.

Signed Chilo up for the Copa points as well as is best to figure that Copa and Avianca will be our airlines of choice from now on..
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 09-11-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Getting a good flight out of MGA is like getting laid, jump on it at the first opportunity! You snooze, you lose.
    Saw a flight the other day RT cheaper to Zurich than Vegas.

Try 3 weeks to 6 months in advance.
    Had lunch a while back with someone who happened to be a customer service rep for a major US airline. He said there was no mystery or conspiracy involved. There are so many cheap seats on each flight. When they are gone they are gone, try another flight. He also suggested on long layovers to pay the big bucks for the VIP lounge, which includes showers, etc.

Also, United has 24 free cancellation the last time I heard. One other , I think it was Copa, had 24 hours to pay, which is not the same thing. Kinda sneaky.

I happen to enjoy San Jose, so my tentative flight next year will be 4 days in San Jose, multicity flight SJO-LAS, LAS-MGA. But lets see what pops up before then. I also suspect somebody could get a real bargain if they hung around SJO and had a real flexible schedule.

Just think what will happen if there is an embargo.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Latest gimmick--no carryons on budget tickets at United and 7 kilo limit on American. You have to bump up to next class of ticket to still get a carryon, which means you must read the fine print on each leg of each ticket to see what you are really getting. Lots of exceptions and gate fines, too.

"Personal item" still allowed under seat, limit 17 x 10 x 9 inches on United, less on bargain airlines. If it is soft-sided and not overstuffed a slightly bigger bag will work because it squishes down. My 12 liter backpack works, but I must carry my jacket by hand as it will not fit inside.

Another boobytrap to watch for--if you are booking on multiple carriers, you are technically getting 2 one ways, not a round trip. If anything happens to one leg of the flight, you, not the airline, are responsible for fixing the other leg.

Thought I found a good rt to Vegas on Aeromexico, till I saw the 15 hour layover on the flight back.

The race to the bottom continues.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Daniel had an attempted hustle by Avianca. He had 2nd bag to bring up , less than 62 linear inches, less than 23kg and they tried to scam $250 off of him. He just left it.

The last time we flew Copa they weighed and tagged our carry bags that they were weighed - I do not recall if there was a weight limit.

Our layover is 5 hrs in PTY - PTY is a shit hole - Did the 5 hr layover there 4 yrs ago. This time I think we try the lounge - It is also poorly rated, but with the food rates of main concourse and the crappy 30min internet... Lounge is $50 and with that you can bring 4 ppl including yourself.

Blog Entries

Spirit is still cheapest, but know the rules. Interjet flies to SJO from many spots in USA, they are crazy cheap, but has crazy layovers in MEX, not such a bad place to be stuck for a day. Avianca runs some deals but if you see 1 you better jump on it fast. Southwest flies into Liberia but not great fares, but great baggage allowance. Not seen many favorable fares on COPA lately but they are great to fly. Another crazy option is getting to PTY and using the Venezuelan Airline flying into MGA but they have a little problem with credit cards so need someone go book flight and pay for you. Saw a few OK fares on AA and United when I was shopping, Delta was usually better. Fewer flights, not many bargains.

For me is worth paying the extra to fly into MGA, but if you are in SJDS or Granada, even MGA then Liberia would not be bad
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe