Thread: Google News, September 19, 2019

Blog Entries

Default Google News, September 19, 2019

Nicaragua Daily update ⋅ September 19, 2019
    NEWS
    AP Interview: Nicaragua opposition leader sees long road Washington Post
    MANAGUA, Nicaragua — Opposition leader Félix Maradiaga said Thursday after returning to Nicaragua from 14 months in exile that he will not leave ...

Nicaragua Opposition Leader Claims His Country's Government Is Abducting and Murdering ... Newsweek
    Medardo Mairena spent roughly eleven months in a hellhole Nicaraguan prison cell where people go to die. He slept for an hour a day, endured ...

Bodies have been cut 'piece by piece,' Nicaraguan opposition leader denounces in Miami Miami Herald
    A little less than three months ago, Nicaraguan opposition leader Medardo Mairena was “buried alive” in one of the regime's torture prisons in Tipitapa ...

Amid Social & Political Crisis in Nicaragua Highland Mission Cooperative Further Commits to ... PRNewswire (press release)
    ATLANTA, Sept. 18, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Online Trading Academy Atlanta and Bulls & Bears Radio have partnered with Non-Profit, Highlands ...

Amid Social & Political Crisis in Nicaragua Highland Mission Cooperative Further Commits to ... - Yahoo Finance
    Full Coverage

Sterilized Workers Seek to Collect Damages Against Dow Chemical in France The New York Times
    In the mid-2000s, Nicaraguan courts ordered a total of $805 million in ... “This is what the U.S. companies did in Nicaragua: they poisoned people, they ...

Nicaraguan bishops see 'crisis of trust' in country Catholic Culture
    CWN Editor's Note: As Nicaragua celebrated its Independence Day on September 15, the country's Catholic bishops issued a statement lamenting a ...

Nicaraguan musician Luis Godoy performs on campus and showcases art, book SFA The Pine Log Online
    Singer-songwriter and political activist Luis Enrique Godoy shared his music at the SFA Cole Auditorium Thursday to enlighten others on the political ...

Nicaragua Automobile Market 2019 Rising Trends, Growth Opportunities and Future Outlook 2025 Industry Segment
    The Nicaragua Automobile Market 2019-Trends, Outlook and Growth Opportunities: The Nicaragua Automobile report provides a complete ...

Costa Rican Government Forgets The Day Venezuela Rescued Them PanAm Post
    Page 17 of the Spanish newspaper ABC on Nicaragua's attacks on Costa Rica, and the defense by Panama and Venezuela in 1978 (ABC archives).

Emergency Appeal: Central America: Dengue Outbreak, Appeal n° MDRGT015 ReliefWeb
    July 2019: Government of Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua declare epidemiological alert for dengue. The IFRC issues a DREF operation in ...

Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Google News, September 19, 2019

Maradiaga's story is a little shaky, even Miami Herald shimmied around some big facts.

14 month exile in States? After a broken nose that required medical evacuation.

Entered the States illigally as a child, has a masters from Harvard, do the math, lot more time in States than the Country he hopes to rule.

He has returned and somehow I doubt it ends well. He could do much more for his people outside, here he only gets to cry victim., of his own stupidity.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

He is obviously a smart guy, impressive resume, but is better known internationally than in Nicaragua. He did a ton of interviews last week before leaving the States with the hope of raising awareness of the danger he would be in returning to Nica. He said in the interviews he is not leaving this time, those are big words.

He is betting on a kinder and gentler regime than 14 months ago and may have a valid point.

Going to be interesting to see how long before he is in exile again.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

He is poking the bear for sure - 100% news is doing story after story on him. Canal 10 running video of him being molested by bikes as he SUVs through Managua. etc etc

If he ends up on a slab it will either say A) DOS is willing to take out opponents - in plane view - Rather than quietly like he has done in the past B) DOS has not reigned in the minions he set loose 14 months ago...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

As I said, he could do more good being anywhere but here. Maybe he is trying to be a martyr. He has no chance of ever being King in anything like a free election, a small few know who he is, go into the campo (where the votes are) say his name and look at the blank faces.

Miami Nicas pumped him full of piss and vinegar, and they all stayed home in Miami Lakes after giving him a big send off. He has Brass Balls or Mashed Potatoes in his head.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

Miami Nicas pumped him full of piss and vinegar, and they all stayed home in Miami Lakes after giving him a big send off. He has Brass Balls or Mashed Potatoes in his head.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A semi-desperation move. The opposition has no leadership of national importance, a motley crew of minor players leading a fuzzy coalition. It is like UNO without Violeta. All in the setting of a nation with no track record of success.

Politics is a fickle game, but as they say in Nevada, you can't win if you don't play!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Maybe he is trying to be a martyr. He has no chance of ever being King in anything like a free election,
    He gains nothing from martyrdom, but it'd bolster the USA's argument for intervention.

He's a USA pawn being played in the gambit he could become king, IMO. A lot can happen in 2 years of heavy campaigning, esp. in view of Ortega's new reputation as an out-of-touch leader of kid-killers. Reminds me of that perpetual political opponent Eduardo Montealegre, who got his MBA in Finance from Harvard. See a pattern here?
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Like Montealegre, he won't pull the Campo.

Better chance he gets dissappeared.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Maradiaga's only chance at winning campesino votes is to make secret alliances with the likes of the anti-canal farmers' association, university students' groups, &c. It's a damned long shot, I agree. Moreover, who in Nicaragua can keep a secret? Even at the cost of martyrdom.

He'd have more luck enlisting the Mejia Godoys to write a bunch of new ballads about the outrages of April 2018 and get everybody to sing along.

Much depends on how desperately bad the economic situation becomes in 2021. Or whether DOS croaks before then.

Blog Entries

Maradiaga would need to see 2021.
    Ernie K Doe

The thing you gotta remember is that in Latin America it is not who gets the most votes, but who gets to count the votes that matters.

Ain't a chance in hell that there is any true election watching or safe guarding in Nicaragua for the near future.

Blog Entries

True enuf that. And all loyalties are bought and paid for in LAm.

Still the game of politics must be played, on the world stage. As long as little Nicaragua wants to keep doing business with other countries of commerce. The Chinese probably don't care; besides it's easier to deal with the dictator in your pocket, like the old USA M.O. (OK, still applies with the Afghans). But since Ortega gave Wang=China carte blanche to operate in country, the USA has been obliged to make sure they don't bring in a million PLA 'laborers' to dig the faux canal with pick & shovel. So they keep their guy(s) in national politics.

Another Wang (=China) recently tried to buy a Salvadorean island in the Gulf of Fonseca with plans for a major remake of El Salvador, but it all fell through. But not before it turned a few American heads away from the Middle East to check out what's happening closer to home.

For Maradiaga to stand a chance DOS' thugs would have to kill a bunch more protesting Nicas, something not unlikely. He'd need to make a pact with the Catholic Church and the Evangelicos. And even then, he'd probably need to kindle a clandestine affair with la Chaya to win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    The thing you gotta remember is that in Latin America it is not who gets the most votes, but who gets to count the votes that matters.

Ain't a chance in hell that there is any true election watching or safe guarding in Nicaragua for the near future.
    Yep, that too...
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

2006 I guess it seemed a bit of a let down to me but I thought would auto correct, too many years in 1st World. 13 yrs later I see that many many, more years before any change. I retired young so I could still go work if I had to, and I been having to.

They ain't going nowhere, this is going to be long and drawn out, and ugly.

Playing with Iran and other outlaw nations makes it harder for States to ignore. Ortegas Fuel coming out of Houston, in a minute that tap can turn off, lights out, and cannot blame it on Honduras.

Chavez convinced him he was invincible, he is finding out he aint got shit that the World wants.

Narco Traffic nation, States will let him play a while in that game, but after watching it for over a decade I am pretty sure they control all aspects of that, and I am no conspiracy guy.

Dope cannot keep a non producing Country afloat, although I have seen it make lots of excitement on the Coast.
    Ernie K Doe

2006 I guess it seemed a bit of a let down to me but I thought would auto correct, too many years in 1st World. 13 yrs later I see that many many, more years before any change. I retired young so I could still go work if I had to, and I been having to.

They ain't going nowhere, this is going to be long and drawn out, and ugly.

Playing with Iran and other outlaw nations makes it harder for States to ignore. Ortegas Fuel coming out of Houston, in a minute that tap can turn off, lights out, and cannot blame it on Honduras.

Chavez convinced him he was invincible, he is finding out he aint got shit that the World wants.

Narco Traffic nation, States will let him play a while in that game, but after watching it for over a decade I am pretty sure they control all aspects of that, and I am no conspiracy guy.

Dope cannot keep a non producing Country afloat, although I have seen it make lots of excitement on the Coast.
    Good points.
    I have oft believed that the FSLN Military and many within the FSLN upper levels have made a "Ralph & Sam" deal with the US government in terms of not allowing the dope gangs free reign in Nicaragua. And I really don't think they do as they know the pitfalls of having dopers with lots of green influence things. Lots of folks talk a "narco state" but that is not something I saw in my 13 years in Nicaragua. Back in Mexico now, and wow, wow, wow have common place and accepted it has become. Mexico is goat fucked for the foreseeable future. There is no hope of things being decent or peaceful again in at least 40-50% of the country.

The best thing Nicaraguan has going for it, assuming you are on the in with the POS/FSLN group is that I really think the US could not two shits less give.

Historically there has never been a case of revolution "within" when populaces could immigrate and Nicaragua is now playing out to be a latest example of this.

Blog Entries

What I am trying for figure out is if we are in year 2 of "the crisis" or year 92 of Sandinismo?
    Americans aren't the only ones who make the same mistakes over and over. Onward to more victories.

After a couple years here I figured out that the natural form of government for Spanish Americans is the oligarchy. The shooting starts when somebody wants to bring in a new oligarchy.

You have to read the Nica code language: "the next Costa Rica" means "the next Haiti".

Incidentally, the Big Wang's contract ran out earlier this year. A new batter needs to step up to the plate.

Blog Entries

Oh yeah, the Trump visionary move to buy Greenland is due to Chinese rare earth mining on the big empty island.

Maybe that is the line in the sand the fsln does not want to cross and thereby make itself of importance as it was in the 80s. To destroy your own country is sad, but to snuggle up to the PRC is a threat to others.

Blog Entries

Not having anything anyone wants is actually an enviable position for the regime.

Far as Chinese, who knows I don't think they give a shit who's toes they step on, Canal was a pipe dream from the start. Shortly before shit hit the fan plans were announced for a deep water port in Bluefields and they still talk about it now and then. The location makes no sense as Bluefields bay is a shallow silty mess, the ship channel from the river to the exit into open water outside of El Bluff is under 24hr day dredging just to keep it open. But it would be an amazing boost to Bluefields.

From time I arrived on Coast I heard 2 things, Road to Bluefields, and Monkey Point Port. We got the Road, a port with dry canal (rail) makes a lot of sense. Few years ago I saw the numbers on Nica shipping out of Costa Rica and Honduras Caribbean Ports, some staggering amount of money that could stay in Country.
    The Caribbean side has huge agricultural potential but no way to get it out to International markets.

Latino Market in States is huge, wanting a taste of home, crops like Yucca, Plantain, Coco Yam, all the fruits, etc. Go into a Latino market and see what a Breadfruit or Jackfruit sales for, high dollar, we feed it to Pigs. Right now the markets here have Pithaya like rice, can buy 4 small ones for 10 cords, check price in States. Without easy and cheap access to East Coast markets Nica can never be a player. Only in recent years did Agriculture surpass Remittance here, but Tranque days bitched that up, farmers had States contracts but no way to deliver, some of the big Agro players pulled out.

Don't see any way any major projects get done, no money.
    Ernie K Doe