Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTF

Blog Entries

Default Re: WTF

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    The natural form of government in Latin America is oligarchy. ... being replaced by Marxist/nationalist/bandit ones.
    The historic roots of all LAm gov'ts is military - conquistadores - so dictators fit well. Peones have been content for centuries with enough to eat, rum (guaro) and subservient women (those indigenous peoples left after all male slaves died off). Up until American TV & movies convinced 'em they were missing stuff. Then a lot thought to migrate.

Top-down governance seems to suit the commies well too now that they've learned they can collectively control world markets and their people seem to want for nothing since they already make all the gadgets everybody wants.

Democratic governments seem to be in a state of fervent confusion. The people of all these governments that made world-wide war almost 75 years ago seem to be happy, but they're not really sure. Global peace time ain't easy.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

The true origin, and the basis of almost all that ails LatAm, is that the forms of government have their basis in the Spanish Economienda system. This was a "patronal" system that basically allowed the natives to be controlled and basically subservient in a church approved, palatable mind you, form of a feudal system, but was "not" slavery.

The centralized federal systems of all these countries give little power and basically no incentive for locals to control, and then have, a decent, honest, supportive local government apparatus. Basically the top controls the bottom even through the top is small and a minority and the bottom is the masses.

It is the system of government of these countries that is just train wrecked and basically offers a very small opportunity for upward mobility.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Daniel did just fine ruling from below till he could rise to the top again. The other Latin American revolutionaries, not to mention the Kurd Communists, have been taking notes.

Said part is, in the former United States, the Dems are ruling from below too.

On my second trip here I chatted with a waiter in an almost empty restaurant in Managua. He was an old dignified guy with 12 kids and a deep believe in the second coming of Jesus. He said never live in the countryside. Have your little farm managed by somebody else but live in the city. When something goes bump in the night, the bumper will probably be younger, meaner, and tougher than you.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    As was mentioned http://www.therealnicaragua.com/Foru...971#post157971 it may be that the FSP is directing her & other sympathizers to go help stir things up for their cause.

Ditto with the hike in the gas price in Ecuador - dropping gas subsidies as a condition to landing a IMF loan - caused a political shite storm paralyzing the country. All too well politically coordinated not to have been organized.

And ditto for Nicaragua's own recent mini-revolution. The proposed changes in INSS as recommended by outside economists hurt older workers & retirees, not the young. But it was young students who paralyzed commerce and died on the barricades. Sympathy is an insufficient explanation. Hate for dictator Ortega seems insufficient too, IMO, tho it served parallel with the commies' desire to bring DOS back into line. Little Nicaragua was doing too damned well economically, thriving even, listening to the neocons. So they stirred the shite pot and blamed it on yanqui imperialist agitation. Now it's on the Venezuelan path to hell, albeit more & more strongly aligned with Cuba and their ilk.

Sad as it seems, you may have a valid theory. Daddy Yankee did not stage this deal, but someone did. DOS has done a masterful job of getting on top of it, but as he blames The Yankee Man he has to know that ain't who turned his World upside down.

No Upside for USA.

This thing is so much bigger than meets the eye, and more I learn, more confused I am. I do not pretend to know what has happened or is happening here but I am telling you it is complex.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Sabbatean Frankism. Study Sabbatai Zevi and Jacob Franc. We’re suffering through their legacy.

Blog Entries

And no upside for the neighboring countries who have enough of their own problems.

"... I can eat Lobster till I puke, but that is unsustainable..."

That is so true,, few people know that there is a limit to the lobster you can eat. Sailing close to the reef along the north shore of Cuba,, I would be accosted by lobster divers selling their catch for $1 each. These weren't the little tails you now get everywhere here. Two guys to a "boat", which was two pallets fastened together,, a big truck inner tube supporting each end, with a hole in the middle for diving.

One guy would stand up in front holding two monster bugs up in the air, the other guy rowing furiously. I'd snap the tails off and put them in the freezer.
    I had a gas barbecue on the stern rail, fast and easy to cook, but you can only eat so many and you get sick.
    By the time I got to Mexico I never wanted to see another lobster.

Fixed price in the restaurants (almost all then run by the Cuban government) was $25. A couple would eat more than the average Cuban made in a month,, and most of that was not real money. But,,, house, water, electricity was free. Nobody starved, everyone had some kind of roof over their heads.

We ate quite a bit of lobster and yellow tail in Key West,, miss those days.

I don't know where the Nicaraguan economy is ultimately going. I expected more difficulty by now,, but Ortega has tapped into some sources of wealth that seem to be sustaining him. The CBEI gave him $500 million for some roads . . It doesn't matter what the dollars are for,, or how they get there, they eventually become available to buy petroleum and other imported products.

I DO know that like Argentina, Greece, and ultimately Venezuela, they won't be able to dig out of their economic hole by themselves. And no one is really eager to help right now. Anything could precipitate an economic disaster.

There is a visible slowdown,, and many sources of income have dried up. A LOT of Nicas are working in Costa Rica,, doing work the Ticos don't want. This has relieved the pressure. They don't send as much back as the US exiles do, but Nicas still live well on $200 /month. The champa is paid for,, that drooping electrical line is not connected to a meter, and that black manghera doesn't have much pressure,, but it's water none the less.
    $200 buys a lot of rice, beans and corn.

The Central Bank has managed to maintain the value of the Cordoba,, but people were increasingly asking to be paid in dollars for any major purchase before I left in September.

Blog Entries

Man oh man does your post bring back memories......
    Living on my boat in the Bahamas with all the time in the world to find lobsters.
    I remember once finding a 55 gallon barrel in 6 feet of water that was loaded.
    Musta got 30 out of it.
    So we headed back to Weeches in Bimini and cooked up half of them on the grill.
    Cooked em on a grill and melted a few sticks of New Zealand butter and found us a bunch of limes.
    What I remember most is getting saturated with lobster and looking at my brother who was suffering the same problem.
    Melted butter was running down our arms.
    "I can't eat any more" we both said. Never thought I would say those words.
    Too much of a good thing I guess.
    Lord, I miss those days though.
    I guess "Been there done that " beats....."I wish I woulda"........
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Let's hear it for "first class tickets on the Titanic".
    More people cruising the neighborhoods, assumed to be thieves or spotters. Got some good deals at a paca the other day. finding out that if you buy a new Suzuki here the parts pipeline is not from Miami or San Jose, it is by slow boat from the factory in Indonesia. Inventories in country very low.
    Nic has 2 fundamental problems. 1) It cannot fix itself. 2) Nobody else is able or willing to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    "... I can eat Lobster till I puke, but that is unsustainable..."

That is so true,, few people know that there is a limit to the lobster you can eat. Sailing close to the reef along the north shore of Cuba,, I would be accosted by lobster divers selling their catch for $1 each. These weren't the little tails you now get everywhere here. Two guys to a "boat", which was two pallets fastened together,, a big truck inner tube supporting each end, with a hole in the middle for diving.

One guy would stand up in front holding two monster bugs up in the air, the other guy rowing furiously. I'd snap the tails off and put them in the freezer.
    I had a gas barbecue on the stern rail, fast and easy to cook, but you can only eat so many and you get sick.
    By the time I got to Mexico I never wanted to see another lobster.

Fixed price in the restaurants (almost all then run by the Cuban government) was $25. A couple would eat more than the average Cuban made in a month,, and most of that was not real money. But,,, house, water, electricity was free. Nobody starved, everyone had some kind of roof over their heads.

We ate quite a bit of lobster and yellow tail in Key West,, miss those days.

I don't know where the Nicaraguan economy is ultimately going. I expected more difficulty by now,, but Ortega has tapped into some sources of wealth that seem to be sustaining him. The CBEI gave him $500 million for some roads . . It doesn't matter what the dollars are for,, or how they get there, they eventually become available to buy petroleum and other imported products.

I DO know that like Argentina, Greece, and ultimately Venezuela, they won't be able to dig out of their economic hole by themselves. And no one is really eager to help right now. Anything could precipitate an economic disaster.

There is a visible slowdown,, and many sources of income have dried up. A LOT of Nicas are working in Costa Rica,, doing work the Ticos don't want. This has relieved the pressure. They don't send as much back as the US exiles do, but Nicas still live well on $200 /month. The champa is paid for,, that drooping electrical line is not connected to a meter, and that black manghera doesn't have much pressure,, but it's water none the less.
    $200 buys a lot of rice, beans and corn.

The Central Bank has managed to maintain the value of the Cordoba,, but people were increasingly asking to be paid in dollars for any major purchase before I left in September.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12