Thread: Ebay heads up

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Ebay heads up

Due to changing laws, ebay is now collecting sales tax on 34 states. Don't know if direct sale to foreign country skates on. Seller apparently does not touch the tax, ebay remits it to the buyer's state in question.

My latest experience is that each purchase shows up on my bank statement as 2 charges, one for merchandise/shipping and another for tax. Some sellers still seem to be exempt because they do not meet an annual sales figure or number of sales. Supposedly ebay is going to add the tax when you go to pay like amazon has been doing except you cannot cancel your order like you may do on Amazon.

Ouch, Don Tightwad is pissed.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 11-09-2019 at 02:18 PM.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Default Re: Ebay heads up

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Due to changing laws, ebay is now collecting sales tax on 34 states. Don't know if direct sale to foreign country skates on. Seller apparently does not touch the tax, ebay remits it to the buyer's state in question.

My latest experience is that each purchase shows up on my bank statement as 2 charges, one for merchandise/shipping and another for tax. Some sellers still seem to be exempt because they do not meet an annual sales figure or number of sales. Supposedly ebay is going to add the tax when you go to pay like amazon has been doing except you cannot cancel your order like you may do on Amazon.

Ouch, Don Tightwad is pissed.

It was great while it lasted.
    Significant savings, not paying tax which amounts to an extra 10% in most locations

Lot of stuff shows up in a day now from Amazon,, rather than two days.
    They have their own Prime vans prowling the streets,, making deliveries.

I buy a lot of stuff I would have picked up from Home Depot,, or other locations, from either Ebay or Amazon.
    Just the savings in gas, not to mention the time, makes the transaction preferable.

Blog Entries

Ebay was great way back when about all they had was cool rare old stuff that you’d otherwise have to spend a decade scouring garage and estate sales to find.

At some point they, like real-life flea markets, morphed into just another place to buy cheap Chinese crap.

Blog Entries

Seems ebay is cracking down on drop shipping because they had too many beefs and return problems. Lotta slicky boys were advertising on ebay, then drop shipping from amazon or walmart. It was a great no-inventory business while it lasted.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Seems ebay is cracking down on drop shipping because they had too many beefs and return problems. Lotta slicky boys were advertising on ebay, then drop shipping from amazon or walmart. It was a great no-inventory business while it lasted.

It is still done as a dual shop...

A) You stocck your amazon warehouse with product.
    B) List on Amazon, list on ebay, list on etsy etc etc
    C) you sell on any site and direce Amazon Fulfilment to ship
    D) You pay more fees if it sells on Amazon.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Noticing amazon is on the sales tax bandwagon. I used to click on "other sellers" to find merchants that didn't have a store in AZ, but now it looks like all (or the 34 states anyway) are adding tax.

Blog Entries

The laws "on the books" in On-scare-io Canada is that the purchaser is obligated to pay the tax - So even if you bought from outside the province it is up to you to remit the 13%

It is not enforced so is pretty meaningless. But it is there.

If we purchase from outside the country the 13% is to be paid at the post office, but I rarely pay if the purchace is under $100 as the post office does not really enforce it either. I have a scanner (Radio) coming from Japan with a co-worker buying it on a Japan Craig's list like site - He is very honest and put in the full value I paid (About $200 CDN) so I will get an email to pay the $26 when it comes in and I will do so - Just for my "Free" healthcare mind you :-)

Blog Entries

That's the thing with the new treatment of online sales. It used to be a vendor was exempt from tax on direct sales out of state. It made local merchants more competitive. Now the tax is based on the buyer's state, and I think it won't be long before all the states jump on the bandwagon. Free money for the govmint is a great temptation.

Ebay's webpage says sales abroad are not included but suggests that the seller warn the buyer that they are subject to their country's import duties.

Oops, just pushed the button on a small item from china to the US.
    Sales tax was added at checkout.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 11-11-2019 at 08:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Ebay's webpage says sales abroad are not included but suggests that the seller warn the buyer that they are subject to their country's import duties.

Oops, just pushed the button on a small item from china to the US.
    Sales tax was added at checkout.

Back in '90 we implemented a "GST" (Goods and Services Tax) it was 5% and added on all sales across the country - It was a replacement tax for a domestic manufacturing tax of 13.5 which importers did not pay. With the replacement GST the tax is paid by the end consumer, at each step of the manufacturing process (or import process) the tax is charged and refunded as it passes from owner to owner. This way an alternator leaves canada for a GM plant in the states with no GST, but an alternator bought up here from that same plant does have a GST on the final sale price to the end user.

Some provinces had a sales tax already (like ours) others did not (Like Oil rich Alberta). So here we ended up with 14% . As the 2 taxes were technically seperate there were inefficiencies in administration and it lead to some interprovinces conflict with taxing materials within the country Slowly the provinces all struck deals with the federal goverment and a HST was made - All funds go to the federal goverment and the provinces funds are passed back - Only one administration chain to payfor.

This is a way we found to atleast get imported goods to pay for the infastructure they were selling into (Roads, rule of law overhead, etc etc)

While unpopular (what tax is not?) it is mostly seen as a secuss with respect to valueadded taxes in general - Mostly because you see it on every freeking purchase ad nausieum - Knowing exactly how much it is .

My cousins in the netherlans have no idea on their sales taxes because it is burried in the price.

Blog Entries

Our buried taxes were estimated at 23% or so when they drafted the Fair Tax legislation. That was to repeal all corporate and personal income taxes and replace it with a revenue-neutral 23% sales tax. Consumer prices would theoretically stay the same, but you'd get to keep all your paycheck. Since it makes too much sense it's been dead since its inception.