Thread: Happy Thanksgiving Cincinnatti

Blog Entries

Default Happy Thanksgiving Cincinnatti

One of the funniest episodes ever on television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Default Re: Happy Thanksgiving Cincinnatti

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    One of the funniest episodes ever on television.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

I didn't cheat and watch the video yet, but what is the famous line "as God is my witness, I thought Turkey's could fly". Man, I loved WKRP, loved it.

Blog Entries

Yeah...that and Les Nesman's take off on the Hindenburg radio reporter..."Oh the Humanity!"

Blog Entries

Funny stuff. But the laugh track is laid on too heavy, IMO. For too many TV is a solitary experience. Laughing - without others, an audience, to share it with - is, in some ways, unnatural. Laughter, with others, is therapeutic, heart medicine, but the word seems to be plural only. Once a man who laughs alone was considered insane; today it's assumed he's channeling a comedy routine or on a phone call with bluetooth.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Was a different time, Archie Bunker and George Jefferson could throw out racist comments all year long and still toast come New Years.
    Last edited by cookshow; 11-29-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Yeah....I didn't want to weigh in, but that is simply how tv shows were produced back then.

Not so whiny, wimpy, pc then.

" . . .I didn't cheat and watch the video yet, but what is the famous line "as God is my witness, I thought Turkey's could fly". Man, I loved WKRP, loved it. .."

I thought Turkeys could fly too.

Not the Butterballs, they are too fat to even breed, but the Ben Franklin turkeys.
    I've got a pair on the farm that fly,, not very far,, just enough to get over a fence.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ben Franklin was a smart old bird...

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Blog Entries

Wild turkeys (used to be the only brand of bourbon I'd drink) are all around this area. One hen with 4-6 healthy chicks wandered right up to our door. They've got a strong lift for flight, but then it's mostly glide to a safe distance. I've seen many while hiking.

Nicas and most CAm's call 'em chompipes. The name seems to me a better fit than turkey which was a misnomer anyway.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I was taken aback a few weeks back when talking to one of my long time friends on the Two way (radio) that a Turkey tag is $29.75 - More than what you can get a good bird for in the store.

Relation to size, a bear is $49 and a Moose $56
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 12-01-2019 at 10:15 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Nicas and most CAm's call 'em chompipes. The name seems to me a better fit than turkey which was a misnomer anyway.

Krisnia insisted that they were chompipes too, but one day I ran her by the La Colonia freezer and gloatingly showed her the announcement on the freezer doors.

Pavos

She also insists that there is no Purgatory,, but I tell her as an altar boy I know better.
    And that I can do what I want, because altar boys have a special section in Purgatory, air conditioned, with cold beer.
    So, we're in no hurry to move up.

Turkey day and Christmas always a freezer full of Butterballs at an outrageous price at La Colonia!

When I lived in Mexico, they used Guacalote too, but it also meant kind of like, wanker, or I thing the new phrase is,, tosser.

Blog Entries

Nicas use a phrase, "Guacala guacala" in a context like someone just stepped in dog doo.

Is chompipe/pavo like pig/ham? One word for the live animal, the other word for the dead one prepped to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Nicas use a phrase, "Guacala guacala" in a context like someone just stepped in dog doo.

Is chompipe/pavo like pig/ham? One word for the live animal, the other word for the dead one prepped to eat?

Correct, most Central American's call Turkey's on the hoof, Chompipes and if it is butchered ready to eat it is Pavo. Part of Guatemala and Mexico call them Guajolotes and then Pavo for eating. Beats the shit out of me as to why. The live names are probably Indian names given. In parts of Mexico the goofy bastards call Thanksgiving Dia del Guajolote or dia del Pavo, hell is parts of South Texas they do as well.

The Mexican and to an extent the Latin American version of stuffing blows me away, it is ground beef. Although Nicarguan stuffing is Chicken if I am not mistaken and really good.

Possum is another varying name. In Central America they call them zarigüeya and in Mexico they are Tlacuaches.

Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of Nica stuffing. I thought it was with pork, but since I don't eat it I'm not really sure. My wife makes it.

Blog Entries

Around Holidays you will see Pollo Relleno (or something close) advertised for sale all over, even on the Coast. Think I saw a recipe once in one of the papers and it had ground beef.

As discussed here before, where I come from we have Dressing, none of this Bird Stuffing Business, so I really can't say to much on the topic other than it is a hot item around the Holidays.

Here is recipe I saw, sounds like a free for all, filling a Poor Chicken with any and all sorts of Meat.

https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2016/12/...o-nicaraguense
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

My wife was raised in a little town in the mountains south of Matagalpa. She never heard the word pavo growing up. And they commonly ate chompipe on special occasions, like celebrations of the Virgin, not baked but cooked, in nacatamales. And there was plenty to go around. Those hills were full of 'em; men commonly hunted them. Her G-mom still calls the meat chompipe. Because the bird must be killed by chopping off its head (too big & feisty to swing it by its neck) G-mom always got it drunk on guaro first. They ate the big blue eggs too.

My wife laughed when she saw on FB a note from a fellow townie now living in the US saying how surprised he was to learn that los gringos' Thanksgiving turkey is chompipe.

Some people raised 'em. My wife got totally animated describing to me how a chompipe wishing to mate a chompipa would 'dance' and display its tail feathers. Big entertainment for a kid growing up in the campo.

Blog Entries

I will never forget the first time I saw my uncle cut off a chickens head with an axe and the chicken ran around in circles spraying blood everywhere.

My gramdma took over and threw the chicken in a huge pot of boiling water (outdoors) and then plucked it in a couple of minutes.

Ahhh....the good old days before tv, video games, and frozen dinners.

Blog Entries

Farm life, or TV, blood & guts, either way.

My mom used to watch her dad do that too, they'd run around headless.

C'mon fellas, the origin of the saying is founded in good fact. "like a chicken with it's head cut off". I seenct it one time and that was enough for city boy me, I will take mine via KFC or Popeye's thank you very much.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    C'mon fellas, the origin of the saying is founded in good fact. "like a chicken with it's head cut off". I seenct it one time and that was enough for city boy me, I will take mine via KFC or Popeye's thank you very much.

PUSSY....lol...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    ... my uncle cut off a chickens head with an axe and the chicken ran around in circles spraying blood everywhere.
    Wondering how it could still have a sense of balance without a head led me to the story of Mike, the headless chicken, that lived for 18 months in that bewildering condition. Ain't the internet grand?