Thread: Cheese - I am gob smacked

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Cheese - I am gob smacked

So Chilo always said she wanted to take some cheese back and sell it - I said sure -10 , 15lbs? - No she says 100lbs .... After saying a-duh a-duh a-duh What she said it would sell no problem..

Well to manage the return back up north I (reluctantly) agreeded to 50lbs. The 50lbs was delivered from Chinandega to the central park in Masaya (where our Cheese dude sets up every day) and we wre off to the races . About $77US bought the 50 lbs - It actually measured to 48lbs for the two bags - But still 50 pcs.

Because of all the other stuff we were bringing we had to pay for another bag - $46 US. So what is that - total now - $123 US which makes $167CDN

Now fast forward to the last 5 days - People come and go at the front door, bags are exchanged for cash and we are left with only 6 lbs of cheese that are undesignated .

I even managed to sell 3lbs at work..

Well we kept 1lb for us - Maybe 2 or 3 of the 6 So that will be 45lbs actually sold.

So what does a lb of Nica cheese sell for up here???

$10 a freeking lb - and it is paid gleefully and promptly (Which means, yes it is under priced) But hey - $450 for what is sold - $167 in costs we are $283 bucks ahead...

Next trip I guess we will go for the 10lbs..

Me following around Chilo and Daniel looking for chees in Heumbes a couple days prior babbling on..

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: Cheese - I am gob smacked

Good for you boss, that is a really cool deal. I love it man, great service provided.

The only thing I would caution you on, based on experience, is if you are ever questioned in Canada about your intent for the cheese do not say it is to sell. Tell em' that you have 500 Nica relatives that you have to bring life saving cheese to. I am not so sure about Canadian customs, but in the US as soon as there is commercial intent things change, and not for the better. Canadian customs and immigration are basically "no cokes, no jokes, and no smokes" (literally on the last one) type of fellows and gals. I dread interacting with them. It is amazing to me that most Canadians I have ever been around are the nicest and kindest folks going, great people. But I think out of the population the government up there finds the biggest and most snide and hard ass assholes and tells them that are destined for a career in customs and immigration.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cheese - I am gob smacked

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    The only thing I would caution you on, based on experience, is if you are ever questioned in Canada about your intent for the cheese do not say it is to sell. Tell em' that you have 500 Nica relatives that you have to bring life saving cheese to. I am not so sure about Canadian customs, but in the US as soon as there is commercial intent things change, and not for the better.
    Yes - We actually had that addressed as the story was 10lbs for each sibbling and why they were cut into 1lb chunks was to allow easy use from the freezer - Apparently everyone freezes their cheese so it keeps 3 or 4 months.

Roger Roger on CBSA - I think it has to do with hibitual "Seaks and cheats" they are constantly being BS'ed by the travelers and it becomes a chip on their sholder - We were over on the FDC, but as it was only about 16oz - they let it slide. They do that a lot these days as it does not make that much sence to have all the paper filled out for $10 in tax.

THe only concern on the cheese from the border people was if it had liquid or not - No Liquid - its all good - They did not even ask how much we had.

If we did not have to buy the second bag we would have almost recouped one of our tickets down..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??