Thread: Seeking Seeds

Blog Entries

Default Seeking Seeds

For over a decade I have chased seeds in this Country, if you want to be mind blown, go look seeds. I am fortunate for LCT and others that have muled many a seed down to me.

For years I would hear of this place or the other with seeds, search them out and find a pound of corn or beans for sale. MGA you could get the pricey packs of Italian seeds all over but they tended to be crap. 1 year someone came through and sold Agro stores all over the Country seeds in packets, all sorts, I later looked up that Company, out of the States, many big complaints, no surprise as I had ended up with dozens of packs of their seeds, 0% germination rate. Still places in Bluefields trying to unload them.

Over the years I have ended up with some great seeds, 5 or so yrs ago guy sells me a kilo of treated corn seed, tells me I will not be disappointing. For the baby corn, each plant had on 7-10 ears, was amazing.

Few weeks back I went in search, in a big Agro area, had a few leads. Find the place I had been told about, yep, got seeds, but small selection, bought a good bit and after lot of chit chat ask if anywhere else sells seeds in small quantity, no, no where in this town. walk out and 2 doors up is another agro store, ask about seeds, si senor aqui, go in and sure enough has seeds, buy some the place 2 doors down did not have, but still needing more. Ask the man where I can find more seeds, no other place amigo, I said what about this store few doors down, oh no, they no have. Not out looking bids, I am buying, and price not big issue. Only had a short window and was running out of time, and patience.

Nica Farmers are growing about everything you want nowadays and somewhere they are getting seed. Where this is, maybe only Allah knows.

I am getting to a point, hang with me.

Few yrs back when Bluefields road getting close, I decided I would do it and overnight in Nuevo Guinea . As I do in any place I am, I went in search of seeds. I ask at a few likely places, everyone keeps pointing me in 1 direction. I stop at this shack on the corner I had been pointed, ask the guy about seeds, he says yes, what do you want. Guy had a little corner shop maybe 8x10 feet in size and had seeds of every kind in small packs, He had a heat sealer and had almost anything you could want.We ended up talking for over an hour, and I quickly gathered that this guy was not just some hick selling seeds. When I got to Bluefields and had good internet I looked him up, and turns out he had been a top guy in the GOV for Agriculture & Forestry. There is a magazine published here, WAUNI I think is name, Miskito/Creole thing, and were few stories about him.

Point being; If you have a Nica friend that has some Biz sense, buying seed in bulk (cheap) of many different varieties,then selling in very small quantities, they could open a biz with not a huge start up and very little space.
    Last edited by cookshow; 12-30-2019 at 03:59 PM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Default Re: Seeking Seeds

There must be a reason for the lack of seed retailers...

Blog Entries

A couple decades ago - I don't recall all the details - Big Ag switched to GM seeds that offered resistance to insects, mold, and various other benefits. Monsanto 'owned' (patented the new 'life forms') and severely controlled their distribution. They would not allow farmers whose corn was cross-fertilized by a neighbor's GM-corn to sell their seeds, and won in court. At the time it alarmed the world. India & other nations began major efforts to bank natural seeds. With GM-seeds worldwide production of food increased markedly. Bayer now owns Monsanto. Big Ag and industrial GM crops dominate globally. To what extent it's cascaded into little Nicaragua, a feudal society in process of industrializing (for the past 50+ years), I can't say.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    There must be a reason for the lack of seed retailers...
    Not that seeds are not available, hard to buy in small portions ( but even by pound I have yet to find the mother lode as far as variety). 10 grams of Onion seeds is approx 2,000 seeds, a pound 80,000, lot of guys don't have the land for 80k of onions. Seeds do not keep well in the tropics. Guessing lot of veggie farmers go in together to buy seeds.

Somewhere is a place that sells, I will find it.

Smallest packs I find are 10 grams, cost around $2, way too many seeds for most things but better than wasting a pound of seed.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe