Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Hail - Land Cruiser

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default All Hail - Land Cruiser

From the mid 80's I have wanted a "Cruiser" - Sure there was the Lamborghini , Porsche, Mustang, phase. Then the starting our "Small pick up", "small car", "minivan stage"

Tangent story #1

About 15 yrs ago ('04/'05) I was ready to go to a LC- An 80 series was the plan. US LC's (They were not sold in Canada since the early 90's) were reasonable, but all were gas. Japan LCs were Diesel, but more to ship (almost 4K) and right hand drive. At the time I opted for a Mitsubishi - Through almost all the rest of the world they were called Pajero but in NA and south it was called Montero for obvious reasons.

I bought the Paj because it was sooo cheap ($1800 with only 77,000km) and I did not want to take the risk of not being able to register an LC at almost $25K . The Paj is the round headlight truck below with blue and gold paint scheme.

So the Paj was bought in 04 and arrived Feb 05. I drove it, for 8 yrs as a daily driver, up to 189,000 Km - A screw up by my Salvadorian mechanic left it in good shape but not road worthy in 2015 - Finally sold the truck end of Dec for $1000

Tangent story #2

So we were going to send our 2011 Santa Fe down but both the KM on the clock (220000) and the current desire for funds from the people in power, told us not to.

So I like the High and Dry as ownership has been really uneventful - It is a 6 speed and the engine has chain timing so it should go over 400,000 without any issue. But it is Sooooo boring. Front wheel drive is not good for the snow either.

We run up the price scale for a Pickup (Tacoma, Frontier and F150) with the Tacoma having the "Cachunk" with each door, control and shift that you knew it would last forever, but what you got for dollars spent vs its age was not at a level that I could buy something with a 20 yr life left and keep to budget. So I returned to the Right hand market and focused on a 90's series LC - It is in essence a mid 90's to '02 4 Runner with a higher and more luxurious interior. In Diesel there is the 2.4 and 3.0 and in gas there is the 2.7 and 3.4. I opted for the 3.4 because you can find parts easy peasy and more suited engin size to the chassis.

After 3 days of looking - 2 click bait listings (Phantom cars that sold ages ago that were real good and cheap but kept up for ad revenue to google) and one failed auction this one popped up from an auto search. My broker seen the same one at the same time and we simultaneous exchanged emails on it. A hold was requested and within the hour it was reserved for me.

Payment was made last evening and I should have shipping details by mid next week. To Vancouver it was $8800 Hudson's bay Pesos ( About $6600) all fees covered. Another $1200 to $1400 will get it to my driveway and I will probably need to drop another $1000 to get a safty to put plates on it (Tires, for example, will not be DOT so they will need a swap etc etc) 106Kkm is about 62,000 miles.

I hope to take this truck to my grave or 1,000,000 KM (Which ever comes first).

Here she is...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 01-17-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Default Re: All Hail - Land Cruiser

I've had two Landcruisers, both gas, 6 cylinder, manual transmissions.

They are indestructible. This was during my Baja phase, which included building a house on a remote beach. The first one towed a 16' dual axle car trailer up and down the peninsula, over some impossible roads. I remember pulling the head off on the beach and hauling it back to the US to have it re-worked. Burned valves were an issue, not just for me.

I bought a newer, white one, pretty much the same engine, but better creature comforts, after I wore out the old blue one. The torque of that long stroke engine would probably take you straight up a cliff in low range, if you could find enough traction.

Many wonderful memories,, I'd always leave myself a cuddy hole on top of my load so I could sleep, often woke up at night, sometimes multiple times as someone tried the doors . I'd reach over, bang on the window, and go back to sleep. Simpler times. The road I drove on down to my beach was desolate after leaving San Felipe,, no gas and not much else. I crossed a long lake bed with painted rocks and cans that marked the way, to a low range of mountains that finally dropped down to the beach.

My only complaint was, they were both be gas hogs. It wasn't too much of an issue back then when Mexican gas was cheap. I'll have to ask my wife what I did with the second one,, I can't remember !!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

My only complaint was, they were both be gas hogs. It wasn't too much of an issue back then when Mexican gas was cheap. I'll have to ask my wife what I did with the second one,, I can't remember !!
    My Plan is to add LPG - initial estimates put it at $5,600 - It will be pricey - but LPG is $0.56/l up here - Gas is $1.17/l . So less than 6,000L to recoup. As a Tank is 87l about 140 tanks (equiv) of gas to break even.

For me @ about 1 to 1.5 tanks a week it would not be that long...

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    My Plan is to add LPG - initial estimates put it at $5,600 - It will be pricey - but LPG is $0.56/l up here - Gas is $1.17/l . So less than 6,000L to recoup. As a Tank is 87l about 140 tanks (equiv) of gas to break even.

For me @ about 1 to 1.5 tanks a week it would not be that long...

At the time I was buying cheap Mexican gas, their propane was 35 cents a gallon.

There were a lot of propane conversions,, often with the tank (I'd have to guess,, maybe 100Gal),
    mounted over the truck cab.
    A Jihadi's dream.

Gas refrigerators were common,, not the newer, efficient Dometic brand, but all those fridges we used to have in the US when they gave away the natural gas if you went all gas. The things were monsters, slow to cool down, but silent and dependable.

We had a gas AC unit in So Cal. The thing ran 24-7 in the summer,, a big water cooled condenser in the back yard.
    The gas refrigerators work great,, if you give them time. We had a Dometic that kept ice cream hard in Mexico in August when the temp outside was 120 (east side of the Baja peninsula on the Sea of Cortez).

My first solar experience, 3 solar panels, I remember 175 each,, a Trace 1224 inverter, and Marine Duty batteries from Costco with three year replacement guarantees. That Costco guarantee made the system affordable

I'd haul a couple or more back up to the US when I went back for supplies. No one every complained.

Blog Entries

The Prado gets a space on a boat on Feb 6 arriving in New Westminster Feb 22. A couple of days in customs and then the train ride over I should see it in the driveway by March 3rd or 4th. Doing some reading reveals to me that it will be a bit of an issue to drive it to Nica - Apparently El Salvador bans RHD outright and Niclandia is only allowing them in on the northern border. Apparently some trucks have been stuck for days finagling paperwork from Tico Land to Niclandia - That means I will have to turn back to Mexico after 90day CA4/30 day Nica tag. But since it was only the equiv of 7K US it gives more cash to buy something down there. I still plan to drive it to Tuk in the summer of 2022 or 23 and with 500km each way to the Cabin it will get the miles racked up.

Blog Entries

Here is a link for the entire (96 to 2002) Prado manual set on DropBox.

Service Manuals

Blog Entries

The Prado arrives in New Westminster Feb 22. ... but ... El Salvador bans RHD outright ... still plan to drive it to Tuk in the summer of 2022 or 23 .... and finally ... a link for the entire Prado manual set on DropBox.
    TheRealNicaragua is back! I'd forgotten what I was missing.

Blog Entries

Prado's in Niclandia were under my radar - I had known they were there but too fixated on Hilux/Full Land Cruisers and the cheaper pickups (Nivara / Scorpio / LMC etc)

We might just switch gears (pun intended) for a Prado as the for sale sites show quite a few under 10K. I am pretty sure I will spend the forst month or two undoing the "Improvements" of previous owners.

Blog Entries

Now this is cool

I asked my Co-worker in the Tokyo office to decode the Japan Licence plate from the auction photos.

He states the truck was registered in Kitami on Hokido @ 43 deg Lat. ( 43°48'00.0"N+143°54'00.0"E)

I live at 43 deg latitude as well (43°25'07.0"N+80°28'22.0"W)

He (Co-worker) states that cars ordered to Northern Japan typically get a higher spec alternator, wipers battery et al.

Time will tell - the ARTEMIS LEADER has left Kawasaki (Assumed with the Prado) and is off to Nagoya (well Gamagori) before heading across.

Now this is cool

I asked my Co-worker in the Tokyo office to decode the Japan Licence plate from the auction photos.

He states the truck was registered in Kitami on Hokido @ 43 deg Lat. ( 43°48'00.0"N+143°54'00.0"E)

I live at 43 deg latitude as well (43°25'07.0"N+80°28'22.0"W)

He (Co-worker) states that cars ordered to Northern Japan typically get a higher spec alternator, wipers battery et al.

Time will tell - the ARTEMIS LEADER has left Kawasaki (Assumed with the Prado) and is off to Nagoya (well Gamagori) before heading across.

So to understand,, this is staying in the north.
    Not going to Nicaragua

One foot in the artic,, one in the tropics

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    So to understand,, this is staying in the north.
    Not going to Nicaragua

One foot in the artic,, one in the tropics
    Yes this one will stay north - Both 22 yr old and Right hand eliminates it from Niclandia.

But _another_ Prado bought in Niclandia will probably be our wheels so I only have to be familiar with one chassis.

Apparently the Nica Prado can not come north as it would be technically "Imported" when we hit the border. Regardless of our stated intentions. Now if we become an SA and have the truck as part of the SA then maybe I can drive it up.

Blog Entries

Why not get a Lexus GS470? It appears to be the gringo Prado, unless it’s dumbed down and priced up for the American yuppie market.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    It appears to be the gringo Prado, unless it’s dumbed down and priced up for the American yuppie market.
    They can be had for $28K in Canuck-i-stan with something close to 100,000 mi (160,000+km) . I can get a right hand drive 2005 (at the end of 2020 for the 15 yr rule) version of the GX470 for 1/2 that price from Japan and 1/3 the KM.

But if I were to get a second one it would be a full Land Cruiser or a proper 4 door Hilux

===edit==== If you ment get a GX 470 for Niclandia The 4.7 VX would be a kick in the teeth @$5/gal - Also the Lexus version of suspension is to soft. Niclandia units all seem to have the Dreamy 1KZ 3.0L diesel and a 5 speed. Exactly what is needed for the dirt roads and beyond.

Blog Entries

They can be had for $28K in Canuck-i-stan with something close to 100,000 mi (160,000+km) . I can get a right hand drive 2005 (at the end of 2020 for the 15 yr rule) version of the GX470 for 1/2 that price from Japan and 1/3 the KM.

But if I were to get a second one it would be a full Land Cruiser or a proper 4 door Hilux
    LOL, just as with medicine, gringos pay more so the rest of the world can pay less. You're welcome.

Blog Entries

So the truck is "trucking" across the Pacific now, it had one additional port, close to Nagoya, before it departed to NA. A ship tracking shot below of its forecast route. 9.8 knots it says. Buddy (imported) said Feb 22 arrival in New Westminster (Just north of Vancouver) so that is about 3600 knots which is what 4150mi?

I did some checking on the GX470 chassis in Japan and there they only sell them with the 2.7L 4 cyl.

But of course what I have always wanted was an 80 series LC - And they are sub 10K in Niclandia, it would just be that it would have beaten to s#it and need a year of resto. But hey I have to fill my time somehow. Not just with Tona's and Tortilla con sal

Blog Entries

LOL, just as with medicine, gringos pay more so the rest of the world can pay less. You're welcome.
    It has a lot to do with the Toyota/Lexus mystique - They hold their resale really good. Some of it is justified, some of it not.

This truck for example has only 2 real flaws, and they are not minor. 1) The top and bottom shells of the rad are plastic and they can have the AT coolant mix with the coolant when they fail. This will take out the AT within 1,000 mi if not caught. 2) The lower ball joints fail, catastrophically.

The Rad problem and the ball joints were systemic across the entire chassis line (T100, Tacoma gen 1, 4 runner Gen 3, and the Prado). But parts are ready to ship from Rock Auto in the US as soon as the truck hits the train in BC. Denso and Moog replacements. The rad issue seems to have been a common failure mechanism for many Toyotas and Nissans up to the mid 00's
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 02-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Blog Entries

Don’t tell the Toyo fanboys, they seem to think the brand is perfect!

Blog Entries

It is a good thing Nicaragua does not mandate the DEF for Hilux - The current generation of 2.8L diesels in Australia are a shit show having the DEF system packing it in within warranty and Toyota Aus is doing nothing about it.

Blog Entries

It is a good thing Nicaragua does not mandate the DEF for Hilux - The current generation of 2.8L diesels in Australia are a shit show having the DEF system packing it in within warranty and Toyota Aus is doing nothing about it.
    This post defines the word "esoteric" ....
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    This post defines the word "esoteric" ....
    It was meant to illustrate "Toyota's s#it stinks as well, sometimes"

Blog Entries

Evidently there is very little REAL happening in NICARAGUA unless it is being driven down from North America and qualifies for a review article in "Hemmings Motor News" &/or "Popular Mechanics".

Is that a good sign for the actual Nicaragua? 'Twould seem so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Evidently there is very little REAL happening in NICARAGUA unless it is being driven down from North America and qualifies for a review article in "Hemmings Motor News" &/or "Popular Mechanics".

Is that a good sign for the actual Nicaragua? 'Twould seem so.
    Not Nicaragua specifically, but a guy on another forum is selling all his worldly possessions and said he may move to another country, because he decided to stop being materialistic. I’m fine with all that, but my first thought was Peter Christopher...

I remarked that such an endeavor seldom goes the way people think, and even posted a link to a thread here. But what may have pissed him off was I posted a clip from Steve Martin’s The Jerk, “...This remote, and this ash tray, that’s all I need!” He said I was shiiting on his dream and put me back on ignore.

Mission accomplished.

Blog Entries

"There is none so blind as those who will not see."
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

I remarked that such an endeavor seldom goes the way people think, and even posted a link to a thread here. But what may have pissed him off was I posted a clip from Steve Martin’s The Jerk, “...This remote, and this ash tray, that’s all I need!” He said I was shiiting on his dream and put me back on ignore.
    Similar example are the Tiny house people that move to unregulated counties of AZ, UT and TX. Live in their tiny house or shed or Yurt and then promptly turn around and build a classic sized house. Mybe it is a phase some people go through.

Sorry on not having any real Nica content but until this cash arrangement is worked out for the house plans/permit we have no movement.

We are back mid April for 12 days - And there are 87 Monday left until the big shft.

Truck should hit the dock Feb 21 at 10 to 6 PM say-eth the web page.

Blog Entries

So the truck is just off of our Lunny Left coast. Ship tracking site says arrival 4PM PST - Then unload - Paperwork processing and spot on a rail carrier arranged.

There is a nationwide rail disruption because the federal government ramming through pipeline legislation that passes through lands governed by Hereditary Chiefs in Lotus Land (The BC pacific coast) .

Hence she may sit in Vancouver for a spell to get a space on the rails. Most of the disruption is in the east where sympathizers have blocked rails between Toronto and Montreal.

There is a REALLY nice Toyota Troupie for sale in Granada (see clip below) for about 19KUS. That truck would be fantastic if we were not 85 weeks away from being there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast