Thread: Sabalo! Sabalo! Sabalo!

Blog Entries

Default Sabalo! Sabalo! Sabalo!

hey all, long time, curious is this a regular offering in Atlantic coast mercados? seems to be making a regular appearance these days in Granada, ate a piece by mistake one day, looked like a chunk or grilled beef, tender but tasteless (sabalo is tarpon)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    political correctedness has run wild and the outrage police are everywhere

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sabalo! Sabalo! Sabalo!

a better meal I had lately was at a Costena restaurant in MGA, the tortuga ribs were ok tho not something I would order again

Blog Entries

Read about a new place serving costena food, near Hotelito Kelly. Yep lot of tarpon in the markets on coast.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

An hour ago on FB,
    ‎Angie Brown‎ to Nicaragua the New Frontier
    I’m still living in the US - I’m a Nicaragua Expat Wannabe! So I just went to the grocery store here in Connecticut to buy lobster tails. Lobster Tails from Nicaragua!?! $33.32 per pound �� It’s the first time I’ve seen a product in this state from Nicaragua. Bit of a markup I’d say!! Each tail weighs just over 1/2 pound.

I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

reckon Angie isn't tuned in here but, as you 2 probably know, the export of lobster from Nicaragua is big biz for this small country, just because she hasn't seen Nica labeled lobster, if she ever ate at Red Lobster she has prolly ate some Nica lobster, Nica lobster industry has a log and infamous (nefarious?) history, as a former dive boat captain and commercial spear fisherman from Florida, I have found the horror stories of what these Nica divers have endured just absolutely mind boggling, hopefully things have improved, anyone really interested can find the info out there, I won't go into it (again), here is Nica lobster photo La Prensa runs often and one of the divers at work, note the 80 cu ft aluminum tanks stacked like cordwood on the mothership on the left, man, I tell you, I ate a lot of lobster in Florida but I really REALLY ate lobster during the 3 months I spent on Little Corn when I was shacking up with the cook!

Blog Entries

There is a documentary on the Miskito Lobster Divers, never have seen it though.

As you say, may have never bought Nica Lobster in markets but if you have eaten Lobster at a Restaurant, particularly places like Red Lobster you have certainly eaten it.

This was the 2nd poor Lobster season in a row, the Coast Economy is BAD.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

I haven't spent as much time as Cookshow and probably others in the east side markets, but I have visited a few. Been to the one in Granada many times. I had heard about people eating Tarpon, but had never seen it. That is too damm bad. Mexico basically wiped out an incredible Tarpon fishery in the 60's and 70's by netting and dynamiting them for cat and dog food additive. All those rivers from Tampico on south had incredible Tarpon fisheries, and they were basically reduced to rare exceptions rather that common. They are a little better now, but still not that common.

I would hate to Nicaragua go the same way, but they probably will. When Tarpon starts being eaten often it means that the low hanging and decent eating fish are in real short supply.

The folks in Mexico that I know that have eaten it say it basically sucks and is a PIA to deal with in terms of cooking. Just a real shame.

Blog Entries

Anyone have an idea how they are harvesting the tarpon here? I can't imagine they are using hook and line and a sturdy enough net seems improbable, I know fishing with explosives is still prevalent along the Pacific coast. La Prensa ran an article few years ago with pics of all the fisherman with missing and mangled appendages. Apparently the timing for launching your homemade bomb has to be jusssst right.

Y'know what I never seen in the Markets here is Jewfish or Goliath grouper. And they got to be here. They are just a bigass grouper. Florida is lousy with the damn things. I seen one snorkeling on Corn Island where just about every other reef fish that was edible had been taken (about 15 years ago) In Florida they populate about any chunk of bottom they can find, particularly wrecks. And they are easy enough to kill (with a .223 powerhead on the end of a spear) Never heard of much spearfishing here, has anyone? I know the Right side get be pretty sharky, which can be a deterrent to some people unless you gots one of dem sweet .223 powerheads, c'monn

And how about Lionfish? Anyone seen them on the Right Side? Florida is over run with them and there is actually a good market developing for them with fish houses paying as much for them as grouper or snapper, kinda delicate to handle tho, them spines do pack a punch

Don't know for sure, but probably nets on the Tarpon, they don't last long in them. They will net the piss outta river mouths in Nica, I am surprised the Tarpon population is as good as it is, or was a few years ago.

I have seen Lion Fish on Blowing rock, circa 2011 or so. Reef fish around Corn Island(s) were pretty scarce, but there were some decent Hogfish numbers and I did see some very skittish snapper. Blowing Rock has incredible life on it, and I am sure there are lots of scattered about rocks and dead reef piles.

Jewfish and I think another species of grouper are now federally protected, you can go to the hoosegow quick for messing with one. Back in the 90's there were some nice ones in spots around the Keys, I have seen some big ass ones on oil rigs in Texas, huge. And the Texas Jetty system had a lot at one time, until folks figured out how to catch them. A friends dad caught one Jewfish that had to have gone 400 to 500 pounds in the late 80's on the South Padre Jetty's. I have also seen some big ass ones on some out of the way reef systems in Mex, but those were being pillaged by the cooperatives so I doubt many survived.