Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 312

Thread: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

  1. #226

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    This treatment protocol sounds eminently sensible which means it probably won't be used.. The key is probably start it early enough before the virus gets a foothold.
    None of these drugs will put any big bucks into anyone's pockets.

    Remdesivir has some occasional nasty side effects. And it's intravenous.

  2. #227
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,954
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    The greatest governmental and medical error in dealing with this viral pandemic has been to gather the sick, the infected with advancing symptoms, in hospitals, so as to create an environment nearly saturated with coronavirus spores, such that those who might have stood a fighting chance, didn't.

    Germany tried to and, for the most part, did keep those infected out of hospitals. Wisdom, or common sense?

    Of course, the insurance 'winnings' on having someone die in their hospital, attended by multiple staff, on their ventilators is a business 'score' that may allow that hospital to stay open. And the game goes on.

  3. #228
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    10,318
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    So, lets say I go to the hospital with symptoms. Can I demand the above protocol or am I at the mercy of whatever the attending physician says?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  4. #229
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,689
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    So, lets say I go to the hospital with symptoms. Can I demand the above protocol or am I at the mercy of whatever the attending physician says?



    Maybe, if you have a real doctor who studied medicine long ago, not one of today's McDoctors from India that are so prevalent now.

  5. #230
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,689
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Hydroxychloroquine is supposedly so cheap to make, one dose costs about a penny. So if there's no money to be made, Big Pharma will likely run a libel campaign against it.

  6. #231
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    10,318
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post


    Maybe, if you have a real doctor who studied medicine long ago, not one of today's McDoctors from India that are so prevalent now.

    Yeah.....most every doctor around here is named Patel.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  7. #232
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,954
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    On our hypothetical journey toward ‘herd immunity’ -- or, if you prefer, some ‘acceptable’ rate of covid-19 mortalities, much as we ‘accept’ (live with, insure risk for) a nationwide mortality rate due to automobile accidents -- until a vaccine comes along, we will need to depend more on testing and isolating spreaders from those still susceptible. Which means we must be able to identify who was already infected by the coronavirus. The most efficient way is the antibody test.

    Scientists have been working hard to determine the accuracy of the 14 coronavirus antibody tests now on the market. https://covidtestingproject.org/ (Something the FDA should have done.) Of the 14 tests, only three delivered consistently reliable results. Even these three tests detected antibodies in infected people only 90% of the time, at best. None of the tests did better than 80% until after three weeks of infection.

    Here’s the problem: it’s called the base rate fallacy. The base rate is the actual amount of infection in a known population. In the US it’s between 5-15%. For an antibody test that’s 90% accurate and a base rate = 5%, there is an almost 70% probability that the test will falsely indicate a person has antibodies. For 1,000 people with 5% base rate => 950-no + 50-yes. With a 90% accurate test, 950-no => 855-n + 95-y, and for the 50-yes => 45-y + 5-n. Thus, 95-y/(95-y+45-y) = 68% false positives. “A false positive may lead people to believe themselves immune to the virus when they are not ...You don’t want anybody going back to work who has a false positive.”

    Bottom-line, screw science, there’s money to be made . . . by China,
    Scanwell Health, a LA-based start-up, has ordered millions of test kits from Innovita, a Chinese manufacturer, and has applied to the FDA to market the tests for at-home use. In the study, the Innovita test detected antibodies in 83% of infected people.

    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

  8. #233

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Hydroxychloroquine is supposedly so cheap to make, one dose costs about a penny. So if there's no money to be made, Big Pharma will likely run a libel campaign against it.


    If Trump had not said something positive about it,, it would be a standard course of treatment by now.

  9. #234
    House SOB Little Corn Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pompano Beach, Florida
    Posts
    10,318
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    If Trump had not said something positive about it,, it would be a standard course of treatment by now.
    Is this readily available in Mexico?
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

  10. #235

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Is this readily available in Mexico?


    Yes, it was. Now, I don't know. I haven't been down there for a while.

    I know that it suddenly got hard to find in Nicaragua,, farmacias sold out.


    We were going to try to short trip into Mexico next week, Curcupe,, a bit south of Magdalena, off the beaten path.
    Just to see,, 1: if they will let us in; 2: get the truck detailed; 3: replenish our antibiotic stash;
    If there is any hydroxychloroquine available,, I'll check the price.

    I was in Costco yesterday,, packed, lines long. They are no longer limiting numbers of shoppers but require masks.
    People were buying BIG,, shopping carts full. Stoking up for the "second wave".
    Tucson traffic seems almost back to normal.

    I just wanted to check if there was Charmin TP available.

  11. #236
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,524
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Minsa lady came by today. We didn't let her in because she did not have a mask but had her put abate in the yard drain. M gave her a mask, seems a lot of people are not letting her in without a mask. Onward to more victories.

    PS: it is un-American to promote a drug that is not expensive. Fauci is up to his eyeballs in patents and big farma, Trump is a mojor supporter of Chinese immigration and students to the US.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  12. #237
    Active TRN Member RGV AG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Sweatshops R-US Nicaragua again
    Posts
    885

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Yes, it was. Now, I don't know. I haven't been down there for a while.

    I know that it suddenly got hard to find in Nicaragua,, farmacias sold out.


    We were going to try to short trip into Mexico next week, Curcupe,, a bit south of Magdalena, off the beaten path.
    Just to see,, 1: if they will let us in; 2: get the truck detailed; 3: replenish our antibiotic stash;
    If there is any hydroxychloroquine available,, I'll check the price.

    I was in Costco yesterday,, packed, lines long. They are no longer limiting numbers of shoppers but require masks.
    People were buying BIG,, shopping carts full. Stoking up for the "second wave".
    Tucson traffic seems almost back to normal.

    I just wanted to check if there was Charmin TP available.
    A lot of places in Mex have run out of it, supply seems scarce. From what I have heard and seen in the farmacia's.

  13. #238
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,954
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    How did the CDC mess up so badly in handling this pandemic?
    The C.D.C. Waited ‘Its Entire Existence for This Moment.’ What Went Wrong?The technology was old, the data poor, the bureaucracy slow, the guidance confusing, the administration not in agreement. The coronavirus shook the world’s premier health agency, creating a loss of confidence and hampering the U.S. response to the crisis.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/u...ronavirus.html

  14. #239
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    6,514
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Could it be that you guys dodged the SARs bullet and never had to really evaluate your healthcare from the ground up?

    We did - Right from the dispatch of the ambulance right through triage in the emerg.

    But we did not develop a robust incoming traveller /returning citizen plan which did us in this time.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  15. #240
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,954
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Could it be that you guys dodged the SARs bullet and never had to really evaluate your healthcare from the ground up?
    Canada's experience with the SARS-CoV in 2003 was a significant factor leading to better preparedness. It was an especially BIG factor for Taiwan - their death toll in 2003 was practically a national humiliation.

    I'm still unclear as to how the USA managed to dodge SARS 2003. Dumb luck?

    As fir the CDC, I suppose any gov't bureaucracy that sits on its thumbs for a few decades drawing good salaries for doing nada becomes rotten in its core.

  16. #241
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,524
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    My first guess was incompetence. When I worked for a public utility I came to understand institutionalised stupidity. Some of those people probably cound have been upright and productive if they worked elsewhere. Others were perfect government employees and could not have worked elsewhere.

    But I am not opposed to sabotage theories. A lotta folks hate Trump and when you look at all the money involved one can only ponder about how many Americans in government and industry must be on the Chinese payroll. Academia doesn't count; they would screw America for free.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  17. #242
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,954
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    The first registered coronavirus death in the USA was Mar 1. It’s been 105 days. The number of daily CoV-19 deaths has been decreasing since mid-April, despite all the press & protests.
    Wk ending ___total ____per week ___ave/d
    3/28_______2,754_____ 2,754 _____ 393
    4/4 ______ 10,384 _____ 7.630 ____ 1,090
    4/11 _____ 24,962 ____ 13,678 ____ 1,954
    4/18 _____ 39,331 ____ 15.269 ____ 2.181
    4/25 _____ 54,256 ____ 14,925 ____ 2,132
    5/2 ______ 67.444 ____ 13.188 ____ 1,884
    5/9 ______ 80,037 ____ 12,593 ____ 1,799
    5/16 _____ 90,113 ____ 10, 076 ____ 1,439
    5/23 _____ 98,683 _____ 8,570 _____1,224
    5/30 ____ 105,557 _____ 6,874 ______ 982
    6/6 _____ 112,096 _____ 6.539 ______ 934
    6/13_____ 117,518 _____ 5,422 ______ 775
    Although the number of deaths seems alarmingly high, it’s important to bear in mind that, on average, 7,788 Americans die each day of all causes (cancer, heart disease, flu-pneumonia, accidents, murders, &c.), based on the US annual mortality rate. And, considering the NYC data, 75% of those dying of covid-19 had “underlying conditions”. Moreover there is good reason to believe the reported USA CoV-19 death tolls are exaggeratedly high: hospitals received more gov’t money to report borderline calls as due to covid-19.


  18. #243
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    1,954
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    In little Nicaragua the first registered coronavirus death was Mar 27. Two more officially died of covid-19 in April. The coronavirus death toll in Nicaragua appears to have peaked at the end of May. The numbers may be off, but, I believe, the trend's right.
    Wk ending ___total ____per week ___ave/d
    5/3 _________3_______ 1 _________0
    5/10 ________ 5 _______ 2 ________ 0
    5/17 ________ 8 _______ 3 ________ 0
    5/24 ________ 17 ______ 9 ________ 1
    5/31 ________ 35 ______ 18 _______ 3
    6/7 _________ 46 ______ 11 _______ 2
    6/14 ________ 55 ______ 9 _______ 1
    Nicaragua’s official (MINSA) numbers are disputed. For example, some say death by pneumonia is reported when covid-19 was clearly a factor. There is incentive to underreport: Nicas compete with Ticos for tourists, albeit a meta-competition. Nica gets the scuzzy backpacking surfers and poor expats, and CR the horney, divorced vets and rich retired couples with a latina spouse. Still nobody wants to go where the natives are sick.


  19. #244
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,524
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Just as in the street festival of 2018, data from both sides in Nic is unreliable.
    Hey, Nic has at least 1 horney divorced Vet!!!

    And I haven't heard yet what percentage of the general US population has underlying conditions. Just 65+ is 20%, that is the easiest to document.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  20. #245
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    6,514
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    We entered phase 2 on Friday. Outside patios allowed to open,non essential stores etc.

    Pools, places of worship and schools still closed. We are at a .75 to .90 infection rate depending on which day of the week it is.


    Our BLM marches were massive by sq footage but reativly low by volumn as everyone kept 6' apart.

    Kinda like "excuse me I am protesting here please keep 2m away"
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 06-14-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  21. #246
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,607
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    So it begins, been saying no friends bad sick. Good friend on Island is on machine. Express burials have started on Island.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  22. #247
    Para aquí para acá Jonh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    16,689
    Blog Entries
    15

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    How did government screw up? That’s what government does.

  23. #248

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    In little Nicaragua the first registered coronavirus death was Mar 27. Two more officially died of covid-19 in April. The coronavirus death toll in Nicaragua appears to have peaked at the end of May. The numbers may be off, but, I believe, the trend's right.
    Wk ending ___total ____per week ___ave/d
    5/3 _________3_______ 1 _________0
    5/10 ________ 5 _______ 2 ________ 0
    5/17 ________ 8 _______ 3 ________ 0
    5/24 ________ 17 ______ 9 ________ 1
    5/31 ________ 35 ______ 18 _______ 3
    6/7 _________ 46 ______ 11 _______ 2
    6/14 ________ 55 ______ 9 _______ 1
    Nicaragua’s official (MINSA) numbers are disputed. For example, some say death by pneumonia is reported when covid-19 was clearly a factor. There is incentive to underreport: Nicas compete with Ticos for tourists, albeit a meta-competition. Nica gets the scuzzy backpacking surfers and poor expats, and CR the horney, divorced vets and rich retired couples with a latina spouse. Still nobody wants to go where the natives are sick.


    " . . .horney, divorced vets .."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp6KExqs_3o



    I'm seeing a lot of sickness,, but not that many deaths. There was a Leon doctor in La Prensa this morning,, really sad.

    Arielka and Gustavo,, Arielka bounced back,, Gustavo is recovering and much better. I'll try to attach Gustavo's x-ray Arielka and Gustavo were both on the hydroxychloroquine + zinc + azith .

    Krisnia got a very light case, her father, Mancho, wound up with it in his lungs. Gasping for breath, really scary. I had bought a nebulizer for her son last year,, he had a bad case of pneumonia. They loaded up the nebulizer with salbutamol, our albuterol, an asthma medicine,, and Mancho made a miraculous recovery. So far.

    He started taking azith immediately. That's a big plus,, being able to immediately buy the antibiotic you need without losing the time to find a doctor to prescribe it.

    This wasn't my idea, the Mancho nebulizer, but I saw some instances of the treatment on the internet after she described it.

    A poor mans ventilator ?? I remember paying $60 for it.

    One thing I do seem to be seeing: more men than women are dying of Covid in Nicaragua. It might be just the reporting,, but I don't think so.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #249
    TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Posts
    6,514
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    more men than women are dying of Covid in Nicaragua. It might be just the reporting,, but I don't think so.

    Men have been statistically more likely to die since records have been kept for this affliction.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

  25. #250

    Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    " . . .horney, divorced vets .."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp6KExqs_3o



    I'm seeing a lot of sickness,, but not that many deaths. There was a Leon doctor in La Prensa this morning,, really sad.

    Arielka and Gustavo,, Arielka bounced back,, Gustavo is recovering and much better. I'll try to attach Gustavo's x-ray Arielka and Gustavo were both on the hydroxychloroquine + zinc + azith .

    Krisnia got a very light case, her father, Mancho, wound up with it in his lungs. Gasping for breath, really scary. I had bought a nebulizer for her son last year,, he had a bad case of pneumonia. They loaded up the nebulizer with salbutamol, our albuterol, an asthma medicine,, and Mancho made a miraculous recovery. So far.

    He started taking azith immediately. That's a big plus,, being able to immediately buy the antibiotic you need without losing the time to find a doctor to prescribe it.

    This wasn't my idea, the Mancho nebulizer, but I saw some instances of the treatment on the internet after she described it.

    A poor mans ventilator ?? I remember paying $60 for it.

    One thing I do seem to be seeing: more men than women are dying of Covid in Nicaragua. It might be just the reporting,, but I don't think so.
    Is that Norman there with Krisnia? If so, he's looking fierce and healthy and larger than I remember. I'm guessing that's just because she's holding him closer to the camera...
    Soy el chele mono.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Some Final Thoughts
    By KeyWestPirate in forum Nicaragua Scrapbook
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-23-2019, 08:24 AM
  2. Some thoughts on the Big Ditch
    By Daddy-YO in forum Blog: Daddy-YO
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-12-2014, 07:51 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!