Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

For the US to have behaved as effectively as those Asian nations, martial law would had to have been declared at the first hint of an epidemic caused by an unknown vector. Remember Taiwanese doctors boarded planes from Wuhan to check passengers at that early stage. In America the free press would have been outraged at such an effrontery, maybe even calling it racial profiling. There is a fundamental difference between Asians and Americans in how they view such invasions of their lives. The Confucian philosophy of social harmony is strong throughout Asia. Americans take pride in being divided on every damned issue that comes before the public - thru conflict resolution wiser decisions are made.

Back before the roll of TP postings here, I asked,
    Their totalitarian quarantine of the Wuhan region (Hubei) was impressive; it began Jan 23 (54 days after the virus first appeared). Before the lockdown virus carriers left and traveled worldwide. Hubei province is a small dot in the center of China. How is it that other regions of China itself were not disrupted with similar eruptions of coronavirus cases? There was never a nationwide quarantine that I’m aware of. China's total number of coronavirus cases is less than one hundredth of a percent of the country’s population of 1,439,324,000.
    Tomas Pueyo published a very informative statistical analysis of the pandemic data in JAMA, that was reported on medium.com. His statement that “China had up to 1,800 teams of 5 people each tracking every infected person, everybody they interacted with, then everybody those people interacted with, and isolating the bunch,” answered what was bugging me greatly. How were the Chinese able to contain the virus from spreading across their country of 1.4 billion-people? I’d guessed that it had more to do with their total surveillance apparatus, being able to identify an individual from Wuhan in, say, Beijing and grab him and any one he touches and toss them into isolation. That must have helped, but total raw manpower - that fits. Health workers? I doubt it. PLA in action most likely. 2 million active soldier standing around during 'peacetime'. An authoritarian government wouldn't hesitate to deploy them, while 'free' nations wring their hands and debate what's best.

Blog Entries

Ortega's only chance for Aid. There is more to them ignoring this than meets the eye. Sometimes bomb makers make mistakes, and kill themselves......
    Last edited by cookshow; 03-18-2020 at 08:07 PM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Covid 19 will take down governments before it is through. Fauci is our General Grant, he may save the Republic and the Trump presidency.

I can just imagine this crisis under some other president. Hillary would say is was because of some book somebody wrote about China, obama would say it was racist to fight a Chinese germ. George W. would bomb some hapless little country in the Middle East. Trump, warts and all, is mo bettah than these other guys.

Anyway, tube says Nic has first documented case today but I didn't get the details.

And some Laughter in the Time of Covid19. A tourist bus passed by on the highway and my wife and a neighbor lady covered their mouths and noses with their sweaters. JEJE, lots of fun.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

Word on the street is that Jesus will save us
    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Ortega's only chance for Aid. There is more to them ignoring this than meets the eye. Sometimes bomb makers make mistakes, and kill themselves......

Blog Entries

Case confirmed and flights in being cancelled, let the circus begin..
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Looks like American is the big player hanging in, with copa doing some expensive flights by way of Bogota.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Anyway, tube says Nic has first documented case today but I didn't get the details.
    A 40-yr-old Nica, caught the zombie bug in Panama, came back here Sunday to spread the joy.

Word on the street is that Jesus will save us
    Funny, as we pass through Lent which parallels the Jewish Passover, since Jesus was a Jew.
    I don't recall well the ol' Cecil B. DeMille movies, but it had to be in Exodus when Moses - with God's help - brought down n plagues upon the Egyptians. One in particular came to mind: where the Jews had to stay in home-quarantine after painting the door lintel with lamb's blood so that the nasty viral spirit would pass over their house and zap the infidels.
    Somewhere I read that some in 1918 strung up onions outside their house and survived the plague.

The Jewish holiday of Pesach, or Passover, falls on the Hebrew lunar calendar dates of Nissan 15-22, which translates to April 8-16 this year 2020 = 5780, the current year in Israel. Jesus seder meal with his bro's is called the last supper by the goyim.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Covid 19 will take down governments before it is through. Fauci is our General Grant, he may save the Republic and the Trump presidency.

I can just imagine this crisis under some other president. Hillary would say is was because of some book somebody wrote about China, obama would say it was racist to fight a Chinese germ. George W. would bomb some hapless little country in the Middle East. Trump, warts and all, is mo bettah than these other guys.

And some Laughter in the Time of Covid19. A tourist bus passed by on the highway and my wife and a neighbor lady covered their mouths and noses with their sweaters. JEJE, lots of fun.
    It's more the media doing the takedown. Imagine if every flu death were on the nightly news, every new AIDS case were reported in the local paper. If bars were forced out of business because of drunk driving. Our super-efficient "just in time" supply chain has been kicked in the nuts by people buying toilet paper, food, guns, and ammo. Retirement portfolios are doing loop-de-loops. And Trump is damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Blog Entries

Is insanity, I cannot believe what Ii see from the States, but I think it will soon be here. Was in a Pali yesterday, is a shitty Pali and they were as well stocked as they ever are (xmas and new yrs were wiped out). limits on items like TP and bleach, some other things, but shelves were full of those items, did notice gaping hole where hand sanitizer had been, and everywhere you looked people were putting it on there hands constantly. The store was busier than usual and people were making big buys but nothing crazy. I needed basics, flour, rice, sugar, cooking oil, bought more than usual but still only 10# of each, gallon of oil.

Should be an interesting few days, see if there is a flood of new case, I hope not but who knows. Costa Rica has over 4dz cases and had first death (87 yr old).
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Hand sanitizer is more of a talisman, like holy water. It's not totally useless, according to "experts," but it's not all that effective on viruses. But if it makes people feel good...

I thought mosquitoes were going to kill everyone with Zika. What happened to that?

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Hand sanitizer is more of a talisman, like holy water. It's not totally useless, according to "experts," but it's not all that effective on viruses. But if it makes people feel good...
    One of Chilo's friends was saying how her last bottle of hand sanitizer did not feel right - A little too greasy and smelled like cherries..

Chilo takes the bottle and reads it and blushed and chuckles..

The other lady was using cherry flavored Lube...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Well the Insanity is here, seeing pics from grocery stores this morning, I heard from a friend in Leon that the stores were crazy last night and seen pics to prove that. Glad I went yesterday, had debated putting it off till today.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

So who's glad the Chinese haven't been building a canal in Nicaragua?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    One of Chilo's friends was saying how her last bottle of hand sanitizer did not feel right - A little too greasy and smelled like cherries..

Chilo takes the bottle and reads it and blushed and chuckles..

The other lady was using cherry flavored Lube...
    Sex in the times of Corona virus--Don't lick your fingers!!!

Blog Entries

Countercultural as it is, handwashing is a good idea but you run the risk of dermatitis as your skin oil is washed away. Use a good quality hand lotion.
    Let the world know that the rush on supermarket hand lotion started right here on TRL!

Blog Entries

I was laughing a bit yesterday watching the hand action, never washed hands in life, now 100 times a day, be no skin left.
    Ernie K Doe

A friend's husband came down with a bad case of flue,, Estelí, terrifying everyone. Or is it Corona Virus?
    He's a dentist and has been busy lately.

Say Aaaahhhh

Blog Entries

Mental health in the age of covid19-- Don't watch the news for more than 15 minutes each day.

Old cowboy flix on Youtube or Netflix are in order.

Gladder than shit that 100% News is no longer on the air.

Blog Entries

Somehow chlorquinone, the anti-malarial drug, got blessed as a likely coronavirus-buster. I think Trump mentioned it as a hopeful. It sold out of every farmacia in Leon, jodido.

The religious processions of Lent continue marching thru the streets of Leon behind some statue of a saint, lit and carried on the shoulders of the faithful. These gatherings of the flock are proceeded by rockets-on-a-stick aerial bombs. This is a faith with fire-power.

Mental health in the age of covid19-- Don't watch the news for more than 15 minutes each day.
    I support that cause with a busted head I'd be more susceptible to covid-19 I'm guessing

Old cowboy flix on Youtube or Netflix are in order..
    It's not so old, still a classic, I highly recommend The Ballad of Buster Scruggs which I saw on Netflix.

Blog Entries

Ortega Asking IMF for money, they told Maduro no, see what they tell him, He was smart, asking lot less than most...https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2020/03/...oyo-financiero
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

We're locking down the farm. Krisnia is picking up her kid (PLEASE don't ask) and coming back on Sunday.

Javier will arrive, wash his hands immediately, put on a mask if he's anywhere close, and then find something to do.
    He's an unfortunate point of contact within the community.

Thanks to CookShow we have all we need. We're going to butcher a couple of pigs on Tuesday, and we have lots (too many) chickens.

My feeling is,, this is going to burn quickly through Nicaragua. The buses, the taxis, the virus will live for two days on the steel seat back in the bus everyone holds onto. The ayudante going back and forth, making virus laden change. The tamale sellers fighting their way through the crowd in the aisle.

If someone wanted to test a bio warfare weapon,, this would be the place. In a month the pension system will finally be in the green and they can hire more loyal Sandis
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Adios 2020, the year that never happened.
    https://ticotimes.net/2020/03/19/u-s...-travel-abroad

Blog Entries

I read my home town paper online for the first time in a decade or so. 1 unconfirmed case, next county over has several. Everything shutting down for 30 days.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

We had case #14 confirmed yesterday, only two are hospitalised. (Waterloo region Ontario)

Federal and provincial governments put up tenders for 500 ventilators in Ontario Thursday and businesses are chomping at the bit to get them built.

For the province healthcare is 40% of the budget so we in essence elect a healthcare provider every 4 yrs or so.

Canada was about at the same ratio of the US aso of Thursday (770 for 33M vs 7,700 for 330M)

A bit on the Cuban resort FB page last night - All inbound travel on non-nationals to Cuba is suspended. All who are in country asked to leave as early as possible.

I bet there will be exceptions for Nicaraguans and Venezuelans though
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast