Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Thoughts on the current Pandemic

Dipshit president of Mexico says hugging is part of our culture...

Gel is flammable. Picture on net of flashburns on woman who cleaned hands and turned on stove.

Illegals in spain can't get to work and are running out of money. Not eligible for medical or anything unless gov loosens up to keep them in line. Hard to deport people right now I would imagine.

Chicomvirus and wuflu are so less clinical sounding than covid19.

The relation between the United States and Red China will significantly change. In what direction depends on who wins... Wars cause plagues and plagues cause wars. If our military is as good as our public health services we are truly screwed.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

Public health services

A friend of mine emailed me about his sister’s experience.

she's been assigned to a clinic due to symptoms BY A CDC PERSON, but the clinic refuses to test as she didn't follow CDC guidelines....WHEN IT WAS A CDC PERSON WHO DIRECTED HER THERE AFTER FOLLOWING THE GUIDELINES.

On top of that she filled out the questionnaire upon admittance and it didn't include any section on medications taken or medication allergies. The doc goes on to prescribe her doxy, which she's allergic to. She tells him this, he argues she didn't disclose it in the questionnaire, she reminds him there's no spot to disclose, he then says 'because you didn't disclose I'm prescribing it anyway' and insists she HAS to take it regardless.

She then demands copies of the visit paperwork to take to her primary doctor, or to have them sent there. He refuses, citing HIPAA law. She tells him off, as our mom is a nurse who handles documentation and billing, and my sis knows all the details. He stutters and stammers, then flat out refuses.

She also had a chest x-ray there which clearly showed symptoms on her lungs, yet was again refused a test.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Just chowing down on a Nacatomal from the summer - We made 40 last weekend (B/C of the stay home restrictions) and in prepping those 40 for freezing we found another 8 in a forgotten bag in the bottom of the freezer.

Returned from Home Despot (pun). you can only enter from the lumber doors and the store is limited to 50 customers at a time. I had a return of Self Etching Primer paint where the nozzle sheered off when the cap came off. The Exchange lady was behind plexiglass (Hastily installed by appearance) and a line taped 3' back from the counter. I leaned over the line and placed the defective can on the counter and returned to the back of the line. Information was exchanged verbally and she directed me to pick up another can. I did return with a new can to a connected counter, same distance of tape same plexiglass. I leaned and placed it on the counter, she picked it up after I moved back. Then tagged it returned it to the counter. I was instructed to show the tag at the exit. The exit had a line of 4 ppl, all 6 foot apart awaiting an exit-er (like me)

After lunch I have Groceries (small list this week) and some stuff at Canadian Tire for the tuck. (Canadian Tire is a lot like a Non-food Walmart and Autozone combined) The drill will be very similar there I suspect.

From work, I have saved the cleanroom gloves from all of those years of garbing up. Two shopping bags worth - Making a good dent in them going out on errands.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

" . . On towards Pali, closer I got more worried I became about what I would find, this is a low level Pali (CRAP), at xmas and for about a month after the place was wiped clean. Went in all was normal, was spray bottle at door to sanitize, was average busy, and fully stocked, full shelf of liquid soap and Toilet Paper stock was full and adding more, their veggie bins were full, meat counter was full, refrigerated case was full, was actually better stocked than usual. No panic buying but people buying up fair amounts of staples.."

SO ANNOYING that a bottom of the barrel Palí in Nicaragua has TP and Costco cannot manage a few cases. NOT that I would buy or use that Palí TP anyway,,

Pictures in La Prensa today show deserted bus stops, and empty streets in MGA, with a caption that the photos were taken at the rush hour. Maybe. I like La Prensa,, they use a lot of big words that I have to look up. Back when I was living in Estelí there was always a Nuevo Diario available when La Prensa sold out at La Colonia. But even I was was offended by their grammatical errors and mis- spellings. Graduate of Sandinista literacy programs, perhaps.

But, La Prensa has their agenda, and like Joe Biden,, don't mind shading the truth,, in La Prensa's case to demonize the Ortega regime. They are vastly more articulate than Sleepy Joe, who must be searching desperately for some medication to control his dementia,, at least until after November. I'm not a fan of either Daniel or Joe. Hydroxychloroquine is used to treat lupus,, ironically Daniel may become anecdotal evidence that the drug works for the Corona Virus.

So,, hunker down is still good advice. But if the 1918 influenza is any guide, you want to get sick NOW, rather than wait for the fall. According to The Great Influenza, two thirds of the deaths occurred in the fall, the second wave, and those sickened more lightly in the first wave were immune.

How do you do this?? Well, you could look for a South Korean Massage Parlor with a new lot of spa attendants. Just maybe, like Harbor Freight, they have been deemed essential businesses and have not shut down. If Harbor Freight is essential,, clearly someone is making some good business decisions. You can buy hot dogs at Costco, but you can't eat them there, the food court seating is closed. BUT, there is a Wiener Schnitzel on the way to Harbor Freight with outside seating,, I can get a chili cheese dog or a coupe of corn dogs and sit outside and no one bothers me ---yet. It saddens me that I can't spend time with Sebastian yet: he loves corn dogs.

Different virus,, different times. There DO seem to be some short term solutions,, such as harvesting the serum of recovered victims and using it to if not immunize, at least, mitigate the seriousness of the illness. This was used with good success for common but deadly diseases prior to the development of vaccines and antibiotics. And there are a lot of recoverees out there.

Serum inoculation was used recently to treat Ebola,, and showed some success. Interestingly, the people aggressively milked for their plasma showed less and less antibody levels in their plasma. I believe it was a group of Germans who discovered this fact.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 03-28-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Blog Entries

Compare how it began in these two locations:
    COVID-19 in New York State
    March 1 saw the first confirmed case, a 39-year-old woman health care worker who lived in Manhattan. She had returned from Iran on Feb 25 and had no symptoms at the time. She went into home isolation with her husband.
    The second case, the first community transmission case, was a lawyer in his 50s who lives in New Rochelle and works in Midtown Manhattan and had traveled to Miami in Feb and Israel; … he was admitted to a hospital on Feb 27 for pneumonia and released. Five days later, on Mar 3 he was confirmed to have Covid-19. On Mar 4, the number of cases in New York increased to 11 as nine people linked to the lawyer tested as positive, … On March 6, eleven new cases were reported, all were tied to the lawyer… (from Wiki)
    As of March 27, there have been 52,318 confirmed cases in New York state, and of those, 728 people have died. Population = 19.5 million

COVID-19 in Germany
    On Jan. 28, a man in Bavaria who works for a car parts company that has two plants in Wuhan, China, was confirmed to have the virus. Within two days, the authorities identified the person who had infected the patient, tracked his contacts and quarantined them. The company stopped travel to China and shut down its plant in Bavaria. The outbreak — several other employees tested positive — was effectively contained. Across the country, the pattern was repeated. Local health departments and federal authorities worked together to test, track and quarantine exposed citizens. (from Anna Sauerbrey’s opinion in today’s NYTimes)
    As of March 27, there have been 50,871 confirmed cases in Germany, and of those, 351 people have died. Population = 82.9 million
    Neighbor France, as of 3/27, 32,964 cases (less testing), of which 1,995 are dead.

Blog Entries

My opinion is that the CDC is incompetent and has screwed up everything from the beginning just like the VA in Arizona. The man who came to drain the swamp should have figured that out earlier. We are fighting a war without troops, or at least without officers.

And it goes on down the line to the states and counties. The virus is smarter and faster than the public health services, and doesn't even get paid vacations and a pension.

Blog Entries

Trump floated the idea of quarantining the festering NYC area and Gov Cuomo said that’d be Civil War. So the Pres backed off in a tweet. The Dems want to draft Cuomo to run against Trump in November.

We need self-driving long-haul trucks NOW to feed & supply the nation. It’s time to side-step the NTSB and get it done. Hay que aprovechar la situacion.

They say some get Cov-19 and don’t even realize it, yet afterward they have the antibodies to the virus in their bloodstream. In theory, if a high enough proportion of individuals in a population are immune, the majority will protect the few susceptible people because the pathogen is less likely to find a susceptible person. That’s herd immunity. Besides Mexico. Nicaragua & Brazil’s not-exactly scientific experiment, Sweden is giving it a try, under more controlled conditions, of course, protecting their vulnerable. Holland is also trying it, but had to clamp down more since it wasn’t going so well.

Hey, put the robots to making ventilators & masks, for Pete’s sake.

Tracking people who had contact with those infected is an important part of a successful strategy to keep this epidemic at bay. To that end, So Korea hacked people’s cell phone’s GPS, but in Germany they couldn’t get around the privacy laws against it, and relied on old fashion detective work & diligence. Both countries credit extensive testing to bringing it under ‘control’.

" . . .Trump floated the idea of quarantining the festering NYC area and Gov Cuomo said that’d be Civil War. So the Pres backed off in a tweet. The Dems want to draft Cuomo to run against Trump in November. .."

Instead, the CDC will offer a "travel advisory" : Travel at the risk of your life to NYC.

Checking my mailbox this afternoon, hoping my Escape from New York DVDwould be finally there,, I found instead a personal note from President Trump.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Checking my mailbox this afternoon, hoping my Escape from New York DVD would be finally there,, I found instead a personal note from President Trump.
    Did it include a mail-in ballot with his name already checked?

Most NYers - except the homeless & NYPD - already flew to Florida. They'll shed virus there.
    "Florida coronavirus cases pass 4000: state border checkpoints begin, vacation rentals halted" - (USA today headline) They're too late - by a NY mile.
    "FL Gov DeSantis supports Trump's plan to quarantine New York" Too late too.

"Cuomo threatens to sue RI over new policy to find New Yorkers in the state" Cuomo said that if Rhode Island does not roll back its new policy of stopping vehicles with New York license plates and collecting information about New Yorkers who have entered the Ocean State, he would sue.
    RI has a pretty heavy contingent of mafiosos. This turf war may get seriously entertaining.

What a great country! The coronavirus ain't enough. Economic collapse ain't enough. Big boss politicos put their balls on the table.

Blog Entries

Trump screwed up. You can let cargo through and keep others locked down. He has been the tail on the CDC's dog all along.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    My opinion is that the CDC is incompetent and has screwed up everything from the beginning just like the VA in Arizona.
    Big duende, I would challenge you: name me a branch of the US government that is honestly competent.

I always like the image of the swamp cause that's where Pogo lived, my Dad's favorite cartoon. He loved the Sunday funnies. Pogo nailed it, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Blog Entries

My last job was with a public utility. CYA was the operating principle. And when they ran out of roms and foms to hire affirmative action supplied them with an unlimited supply of low IQ emotional misfits-- and a bonus for providing dark faces.

Another operating principle was called Empire building. You hire more and more people so you can get promoted to a higher pay schedule because you supervise more people. But, here is the kicker--you have to hire dummies who will not be a threat to you! Not much good to the organization, but that doesn't matter.

One day I was chatting with one of the more obnoxious employees. I asked him why public employees were so much better than everyone else. Without hesitation he said "Because we are smart enough to be here". Years earlier he had told me his goal after getting out of the service was to find a big government tit to suck on for the rest of his life without seas duty.

Yes, working for a public utility has helped me understand the world and Nicaragua.

Reading La Prensa this afternoon I came across stories of MINED using the offices of the police in an attempt to force parents to continue to send their kids to school.

It smells a bit more than just kids in school,, and with Semana Santa coming up,, why bother ??

The Divine Pair rightly suspect that this could be a repeat of April 2018,, with an even bigger base.

Blog Entries

Chilo wanted to watch a church service - a bit of investigation found a stream of her denomination from a close city - It is on her tablet now.

There are going to clamp down on gatherings of more than 5 now - Rules are being formulated today, implemented tomorrow (Families over 5 etc etc)

Chilo was given her ROE (Record of Employment) in the mail Thursday - So it is time to submit her EI claim Middle boy is still working full weeks at Timmies (Tim Hortans coffee shop) counter is shuttered, but the drive through is still open. Typical drive through numbers are 700 an hour from 5AM to lets say to 3PM - today he had 120 total from 3AM to 10 AM.

Chilo talked to Daniel last night - A lot of ppl staying inside in Masaya.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 03-29-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Blog Entries

Cuomo announced this morning that 'patient zero' - the lawyer from New Rochelle - has fully recovered. Apparently between his release from the hospital and knowing he had Covid-19, he attended a Sabbath Synagogue service, which kicked off the spread of the virus in NY &c.

COVID-19 in New York State
    The first community transmission case was a lawyer in his 50s who lives in New Rochelle and works in Midtown Manhattan and had traveled to Miami in Feb and Israel; … he was admitted to a hospital on Feb 27 for pneumonia and released. Five days later, on Mar 3 he was confirmed to have Covid-19. On Mar 4, the number of cases in New York increased to 11 as nine people linked to the lawyer tested as positive, … On March 6, eleven new cases were reported, all were tied to the lawyer… (from Wiki)
    As of March 27, there have been 52,318 confirmed cases in New York state, and of those, 728 people have died. Population = 19.5 million

Today 59,513 confirmed cases and 965 dead in NY state.

Note: only those who seem to be sick with the virus are getting tested - for the most part - and so the number of 'cases' of covid-19 infection is low, very low, compared to the reality.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Let us try to keep this pandemic in perspective. I read that as of now 33,557 have died from the coronavirus worldwide. Yesterday alone 2,701 died from it - worldwide. But wait, how many people in normal times die in a day? “Of the roughly 150,000 people who die each day across the globe, about two thirds—100,000 per day—die of age-related causes.” (Wiki) In the USA 165 died yesterday from Covid-19. On average 7,700 Americans die each day of various causes. (CDC.gov) I’d guess two thirds are age-related. As are many of the cov-19 deaths.

Sure a viral infection is spreading and disproportionately taking out oldsters & the weak, but that’s no reason for the general population to hide, IMO. The most susceptible need to take extraordinary precautions. And clearly where population densities are high, Wuhan-Hubei, NYC metro-area, Lombardy region, Paris, London, &c., it was/is necessary to take special measures, partly because air quality is poor, causing weaker lungs less able to combat this infection, and the nature of the germ to incubate for 10 days, meanwhile spreading in proportion to the concentration of people, such that it pops upon the scene overwhelming hospitals. Nothing short of aggressive testing and policing (total surveillance - NSA knows how) can bring these loci under control.

It is time to pull our heads out of the healthcare statisticians’ asses who control how we view this mostly unknown flu pandemic as we all cower separately to flatten their curves. Fear is the paralyzing enemy. So now we’re told to stay clean & separate until the end of April. At least Trump is pushing back, but he clearly needs help.

“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.” ― Benjamin Disraeli

From Virologist David Ho, Cal Tech, speech given 3/20/20:
    For the PCR testing done in the US, the turnaround time is typically 72 hours. In that period, it's very, very hard to manage patients and their contacts. It's a nightmare for the healthcare worker.
    We need point-of-care tests. These tests have been around for a long time, coming out of China, South Korea, and approved in Europe, is an antibody test. You put a drop of blood on a plastic slide, add another drop of the buffer that comes with the test, and you let it sit for 15 minutes. Then, you look at the bands. You're negative if you have just one band, or you're positive if you have more than one band. They are extremely useful. Yet we don't have a single test licensed in the U.S. The manufacturer for this rapid test is producing a million a day. It's there. But in the name of protecting the public, the FDA has moved very, very slowly. That delay, in my view, has caused more harm than good.
    The test also tells you the type of antibody. There's a type of antibody called IgG [immunoglobulin G] and another type called IgM. Typically, when a person is infected, the IgM response is earlier and the IgG response is later. The two bands indicate the course of the infection.
    Trump announced that Abbott Labs is now producing this point-of-care test, as if they invented it.

The name of the game changes daily. Abbot Labs now has a 5 minute test, and you swab yourself. Swab yourself and put the swab into a plastic bag.

Still have to interact with a medical professional. There are a lot of politics here. Why not drop it into a Fed Ex box and get an email the following day? Because your doctor wants that billable visit. A lot of medical people are losing a lot of money: No unnecessary elective surgery, doctor's waiting rooms are ghostly. Who wants to go see the doctor and get the C19 ? These are some big bucks we are talking about. The surgeons who did a dozen cataract surgeries at Shelley's surgery center just closed their doors and went on extended vacations. They can easily afford it and the work is not going anywhere.

The peak is supposed to come in two or three weeks, so by the end of April. The projected mortality is 200,000 ,, IF everything goes as according to the model.

I watched President Trump's news conference today. He could ramble less. Still lots of Gotcha and parochial nit picking from CNN and NPR. But, our boy gives as good as he gets, and then some: "That's why no one watches CNN anymore,, Fake News! "No we're not!" "Yes you are!").

Our boy Joe better hope that there is no possibility of debate, and that he gets to stay in the basement and read from a teleprompter. Trump rambles, but he eventually comes back to his point. Joe,, not so much. Five words into a sentence and he's lost.

How does this roll out for Nicaragua?
    I'm not sure, but I don't know anyone who is going to the Maduro rally next week. The US handed out $274 million to 64 countries, but Nicaragua was excluded. But, the Russian vaccine factory might still fire up and surprise us with a vaccine ,, I'm not sure what what they are producing at the moment. Face cream for the Chamuka,, possibly. The Great Dream refinery, Monkey Point, and let's not forget,, , the Grand Canal, all still alive and well, >>>> and the Nica satellite will tie it all together,,,, so Nicaragua will muddle through. As always. As long as there is someone to sent $1.5 billion in remittances
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 03-29-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Blog Entries

We still have to see how this plays out in the tropics. It's hot here, but still a little cool at night in the mountains. Average age is low, so that should ease the death count, but living conditions and malnutrition should favor the bug. Old people will be toast, they are not particularly healthy and the local hospitals don't have much as far as equipment. The hospitals are a caste society, some (mostly gov employees) get the INSS side and everybody else gets 2nd class. Private hospitals in the countryside are small. People don't get sick pay, so big incentive to work sick. A few street winos wandering around touching everything and sleeping on people's porches. Buses dirty and packed, although lately I hear people are avoiding them.
    I debate this Easter crap coming out of Trump. My math says this bug goes apeshit for about 3 months in each location it touches. that is m/l from the first case to the first day of no new cases. I don't think Washington State pulling out of it soon has anything to do with any other location. You are screwed for 3 months and then no 100% guarantee after that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    The name of the game changes daily. Abbot Labs now has a 5 minute test, and you swab yourself. Swab yourself and put the swab into a plastic bag.
    The swab test is the PCR test; it takes 2-3 days to get results. It strips the corona shell, then replicates sufficient viral RNA by polymerase chain reaction to do an assay. Takes time.
    The 15 min point-of-care test is a blood test that checks for specific antibodies in the blood.

The 'peak' is when the rate at which people die levels off. People keep dying but it takes longer to increase the total number by, say, 100, or 500. I recall them saying America's death toll could reach 100,000. To stay under that is victory.

I too watched the Rose Garden tete-a-tete. Trump's a brawler. Sleepy Joe's an inflatable Bozo put on the ticket so Dems that vote straight party line can keep their reps in Congress. Had the ticket been headed by a socialist/communist that lot would have had apoplexy.

Normally 78 citizens die in Nicaragua every day. My guess is that this flu will be only a slight perturbation. Not that front page news headlines won't make it seem like a major event. Got to keep up with the liberal press.

Blog Entries

We are at a death rate of 0.0001% of population opposed to US 0.0004% for the US (Using 33M vs 330M over reported deaths)

The 0.0004 aligns to Spain @ the wiki population of 46M ppl.

A little of poking around on the Hopkins site seems to confirm the low rate in the tropics using India, central Africa, Malaysia and Thailand et al as a gauge.

Possibly the dynamic duo will dodge this bullet

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    We are at a death rate of 0.0001% of population opposed to US 0.0004% for the US (Using 33M vs 330M over reported deaths)
    The 0.0004 aligns to Spain @ the wiki population of 46M ppl.
    the low rate in the tropics using India, central Africa, Malaysia and Thailand et al as a gauge. Possibly the dynamic duo will dodge this bullet
    Bill if by death rate, you mean the total number of deaths in country due to covid-19 divided by its population, you'll find they're tabulated at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ as deaths/million pop
    Here's a sampling (3/30 began with GMT)

USA = 8/MM _______ Canada = 2/MM _______
    China = 2/MM _____ Spain = 146/MM _____
    Italy = 178/MM _______
    India = 0.02/MM _______ Malaysia = 1/MM ______
    Niger = 0.04/MM ______ Thailand = 0.1/MM ______
    Brazil = 0.6/MM ______ Australia = 0.6/MM ______
    Chile = 0.4/MM

Yes, it's long been theorized that these little balls of RNA are NOT as well protected from the heat & solar radiation as some think. Staying in "Amor en Tiempo de Covid-19" Nicaragua may not be nearly as insane as joining the herd back home.

Blog Entries

I took 33M/65 deaths and US 330M/2200 deaths - Yesterdays numbers

Blog Entries

Back home is 117 in the shade and there ain't no shade! Still , we have 5 confirmed cases in the spring.
    What ever the body count here, it is not just the number but the manner. Granny getting run over by a reindeer is not the same as granny getting chucked in a cheap plastic seat in the hallway of a hospital because there is not staff/equipment to treat her.

Blog Entries

Lot of little things that will be big trouble here. 1) Mama and Papa gone States for work, Abuela minding kids, getting Western Union every month, oh Shit, Mama and Papa not working, no Western Union, Oh Bigger Shit, Abuela is dead from the virus. I know this sounds far fetched but it isn't, in many parts of the Country it is old people and kids, working age have left, Go visit the Coast, first thing people say, where all these kids come from.
    Last edited by cookshow; 03-30-2020 at 09:29 AM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Lot of little things that will be big trouble here. 1) Mama and Papa gone States for work, Abuela minding kids, getting Western Union every month, oh Shit, Mama and Papa not working, no Western Union, Oh Bigger Shit, Abuela is dead from the virus. I know this sounds far fetched but it isn't, in many parts of the Country it is old people and kids, working age have left, Go visit the Coast, first thing people say, where all these kids come from.
    Yeah man, the domino and ripple effect of the States being jacked up is heavy duty across LatAm.

Those Zona Franca's shutting down in Nicaragua is exclusively due to orders being cancelled or pushed, ain't no company gonna take in products right now that they don't have to.

From what I understand folks are getting about 3 weeks worth of base wages and advance vacation pay, that is probably a 65% rate of income compared to a normal week, on a per week basis. Will be interesting to see how this hits the local economy.

Also means that containers aren't moving, DTA and other government fees aren't getting charged, diesel isn't bought, and a whole shitload of consumables from companies are not being bought.

The economic damage of this deal won't truly be seen for another 3 to 5 months.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast