Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Pandemic: geography, politics & death rate stats

Default Re: Pandemic: geography, politics & death rate stats

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Trump is willing to run with 2-3 k a day deaths but if it is that much or more come election day we face a worse plague--democrats. Bad news on main street level is most people will boycott restaurants and hoard their money for perceived bad times and the "wants" economy will crash as an unintended victim.

ps - a couple of relatives have received their $1200 welfare checks.
    The word "willing" suggests that he has any control over how many people die from this virus. He doesn't. The idea that he might is a coordinated lie by all of the political opportunists on the left and all of the dumbasses who don't know they're being lied to. A natural disaster (or possibly a biological attack/accident) cannot be attributed to a political leader--no matter how orange he might be, and the number of deaths has never been a variable.

The same number of people are going to die of this thing regardless of the shutdown--the only thing that these extreme measures change is how quickly they die from this virus. At one point (early on), there was a valid argument about a greater number of people possibly dying if they weren't able to get the needed medical care, but the expected runs on the hospitals didn't happen in most places,and in the places that they did, the runs on the hospitals did not overwhelm them. Thus, everyone who needs (has needed) medial care for this virus has received it and will receive it, and thus the number of deaths from this virus is not a variable.

You say that "he'll face a worse plague--democrats" if he's "willing" to allow these deaths. The only people who would vote against him for something that he has literally no control over are retards...but then maybe now I'm splitting hairs. I'm black pilled enough to accept that there are a large percentage of people stupid enough to believe the bullshit being pushed by political opportunists, so maybe a natural disaster is enough to cause a politician to lose. Ancient peoples used to blame natural disasters on their leaders. It would appear that we haven't overcome our irrational superstitions as much as we'd like to believe.
    Last edited by drlemcor; 05-08-2020 at 10:58 AM.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    And Nicaragua,, there is still no united, viable opposition. Without a sanction or two that actually bites,, stability in the form of a dictator and his nutcase wife will rule.
    America's got a million other things to worry about now. Plus there's China. The sanctions have been in place on all the heavy hitters. It doesn't seem to matter much.

Being in Nicaragua, it seems as tho the government, the country really is running itself. We simply don't see the dictator. And he never seems to be dictating how things must be run. Sure la Chaya has her radio talks, but I don't know anyone who actually tunes those in. Whereas in the USA, the pres, or Cuomo or another governor, or Fauci &c are telling people everyday what they should do, what they can't do, closing their world by force of law, drumming into their heads that they should be afraid of the invisible enemy. Whereas in little Nicaragua, life goes on as usual. Are people dying? Of course, but no more than usual - and I dare say, that's also true for America.

Curiously, like Sweden, Nicaragua is behaving more like a pure democracy during this global "crisis" and the USA like some sort of oddly confused oligarchic dictatorship. But citizens: it's for your own good! (They must have voted for it without realizing it.)

Blog Entries

The sanctions are biting, in the form of NO AID. The Gov here has never had to deal with a catastrophe with their own funds.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The buck stops where? US public health and political leaders have done a lousy job vis-s-vis wuflu. They turned a crisis into a disaster. Look at the deaths per million in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, and Singapore and compare them to the US totals. Payback time is November and Trump and the various govenors have to convince the public that they did the best they could in a 0ne-off situation and that the other guys would have done worse. That will put a unique spin on this election.

The recession was coming anyway, but the bug got it off to a bigger and more gruesome start. Someday there will be research on how many Americans died after being denied testing or treatment. Hopefully it will be a small number but it will be a bitter footnote to the whole thing.

Nic's short term salvation is that they killed off their tourism industry and Minsa is actively doing its job. Lets hope the luck keeps up.

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    The word "willing" suggests that he has any control over how many people die from this virus. He doesn't. The idea that he might is a coordinated lie by all of the political opportunists on the left and all of the dumbasses who don't know they're being lied to. A natural disaster (or possibly a biological attack/accident) cannot be attributed to a political leader--no matter how orange he might be, and the number of deaths has never been a variable.

The same number of people are going to die of this thing regardless of the shutdown--the only thing that these extreme measures change is how quickly they die from this virus. At one point (early on), there was a valid argument about a greater number of people possibly dying if they weren't able to get the needed medical care, but the expected runs on the hospitals didn't happen in most places,and in the places that they did, the runs on the hospitals did not overwhelm them. Thus, everyone who needs (has needed) medial care for this virus has received it and will receive it, and thus the number of deaths from this virus is not a variable.

You say that "he'll face a worse plague--democrats" if he's "willing" to allow these deaths. The only people who would vote against him for something that he has literally no control over are retards...but then maybe now I'm splitting hairs. I'm black pilled enough to accept that there are a large percentage of people stupid enough to believe the bullshit being pushed by political opportunists, so maybe a natural disaster is enough to cause a politician to lose. Ancient peoples used to blame natural disasters on their leaders. It would appear that we haven't overcome our irrational superstitions as much as we'd like to believe.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

'........ Bad news on main street level is most people will boycott restaurants and hoard their money ....."

Not me, I'm dying for Old Chicago to open so I have a place to sip a beer afternoons. Look, people are going to die, there was never any question of that. A really nasty flu year can take 100,000. It made sense to flatten the curve initially, so the hospitals would not be overwhelmed. We did that, they are not. Let's move on.

We can create, and should create, some islands of safety. Nursing homes, easy, just takes will and testing. That chunk of people with comorbidities,, tougher, but it's not helping that we suffer economically to postpone their inevitable fate. The virus will bite them eventually, no matter what we do.

Addressing the health issues of vulnerable demographics might be a solution,, but many of these "comorbidities" are life style choices.

At this point we are suffering needlessly. We should flip the coin and isolate the vulnerable. We know who they are now.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    The word "willing" suggests that he has any control over how many people die from this virus. He doesn't. The idea that he might is a coordinated lie by all of the political opportunists on the left and all of the dumbasses who don't know they're being lied to.
    Even more so, every accelerated demise is loss of a drain to INSS in both funds and monthly rations.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Costa Rica extended closures till June 15 now,
    And this is the big thing - economy open or closed means nothing until borders open.

Blog Entries

But there are things that we do not know yet ..

Example #1 - Friend here has extended family in the worst hit long term care home in Ontario - The pinecrest Nursing home in Bobcaygeon (Small cottage country town) Something like 50% of the residents have died in the past 40 days and 5 care givers.

The odd data point is an RAF vet who is 87 - As of today he has tested positive 3 times (Last test Thursday he states) over the past 40 days - He is asymptomatic and doing fine.

Example #2 As I drove middle boy to work this morning there was a BBC bit (Our national broadcaster plays bits from DW / ABC (australia) and the BBC from 2AM to 6AM)and they were discussing data coming from aggregated autopsies that Pneumonia was not the actual cause of many of the deaths are most likely hemoglobin related. I wanted to listen to all of it so I will see if I can dig it up. In essence they were making extrapolations that recovered patients (all age groups) could suffer some pretty significant health effects. They were simultanious releived and worried that it had not mutated yet.

Basically we don't know anything more than a lot of places are having 3 to 4 times the typical amounts of deaths per day and per week than most other places with the same (assumed) ailment.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Even more so, every accelerated demise is loss of a drain to INSS in both funds and monthly rations.
    This is an accurate statement, but even so it made me wince. It comes a bit too close to the line from Scrooge, "If he be like to die, he had better do it, and decrease the surplus population." There may be fringe financial benefits from death, but I prefer to leave that to actuarial science. It is sufficient to me to understand that death is an inevitable part of life, and to leave it at that.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

The sanctions are biting, in the form of NO AID. The Gov here has never had to deal with a catastrophe with their own funds.
    I contend that coronavirus in Nicaragua will NOT be a catastrophe. Deaths due to covid-19 will fall well within the normal death rates here. On average 87 Nicas die every day; more than 3X that number of babies are born here daily.

If they were gaming for aid, I suppose the numbers would be much higher, as they are in the US as hospitals play for gov'mint payouts

Blog Entries

Watch and see? Who knows....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Yeah pink eye a bit of a a wake up as spreads same way as they say virus spreads.
    I am the white Latin American champion of Pink Eye. I bet I have had that shit 15 times in the last 27 years since working in the rag business. I have had it in at least 5 different countries, several countries multiple times, Nicaragua and Mexico, and I have been feeling like it is coming on again. Seems that dry dusty times cause it worse, at least in Nic that is the case, as the shit gets into the dirt and people tend to rub their eyes more due to the grit.

I have run plants where I have had 50 to 75 people, me one of them, out with it. Had it last in 2017 in Nicaragua and 2018 in Haiti.

Hate that shit. Drives me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    I contend that coronavirus in Nicaragua will NOT be a catastrophe. Deaths due to covid-19 will fall well within the normal death rates here. On average 87 Nicas die every day; more than 3X that number of babies are born here daily.
    The thing about Nicaragua is that you will really never truly know. They never even came up with a remotely accurate death count in the 72' earthquake. Same with Mitch issues. When I got to Nicaragua in 06' I remember meeting a woman who had spent years trying to get sole custody of her kids because her husband was swept away in a torrent of water, it was a typical Nicaragua tale of incredible "no shit?" woe that I never fully understood, and never returned. The authorities refused to declare him dead as he could have just run off with another woman.

Nicaragua is going to have some major issues due to this deal. The worst of the deaths and hardships may not be from the actual physica presence of the Kung Flu, but might be from the economic fallout that is headed to the land of Lakes and Volcanoes, and it is heading that way. I know of two Free Zones that will close in the next 60-90 days (equipment being offered up and customers looking to move production, what little is left, to other places). That is about 1800 folks outta work, and probably 150 really decent jobs eliminated.

There will be more.

Blog Entries

The Fallout....
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    The thing about Nicaragua is that you will really never truly know. They never even came up with a remotely accurate death count in the 72' earthquake. Same with Mitch issues. When I got to Nicaragua in 06' I remember meeting a woman who had spent years trying to get sole custody of her kids because her husband was swept away in a torrent of water, it was a typical Nicaragua tale of incredible "no shit?" woe that I never fully understood, and never returned. The authorities refused to declare him dead as he could have just run off with another woman.

Nicaragua is going to have some major issues due to this deal. The worst of the deaths and hardships may not be from the actual physica presence of the Kung Flu, but might be from the economic fallout that is headed to the land of Lakes and Volcanoes, and it is heading that way. I know of two Free Zones that will close in the next 60-90 days (equipment being offered up and customers looking to move production, what little is left, to other places). That is about 1800 folks outta work, and probably 150 really decent jobs eliminated.

There will be more.
    We will never know here.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Tetraciclina is the eye cream I ran into here. It replaced something with a similar name. It worked fine and I, too, associated this crap to the hot dusty weather and unintentional eye rubbing.

Nic is on hold, waiting for the elections that may or may not resolve anything and the fallout from the world recession that started the day China closed Hubei province, not to mention its own gallo pinto economy. Lotta folks don't know that China, Italy, Spain, and the US were on the edge of recession anyway. Lotta people forget the projections that the US was going to lose 20% of its jobs to automation in the next 2 decades.
    Life goes on, come plague or not there is no where for the average Nica to go anyway.

Blog Entries

I had cream in my ditty bag I had got few years back when everyone had it, now thinking dust and smoke.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

We will never know here.
    There are a number of ophthalmic antibiotics effective against bacterial conjunctivitis.
    La oftálmico sulfacetamida como gotas o ungüento - eyedrops or cream - may be the fastest, cheapest, most available here & the best. Good ol' sulfa drugs work wonders.
    I never met a Semite I didn't like.

Blog Entries

Was humorous when it hit the Coast as for some reason everyone that had it had on sunglasses, man, woman, & child, damn near everyone had it, so figured I would pick it up, somehow dodged it. Not sure that is what I got but most likely is, is so dry and dusty it may be that. I have been pretty vigilant on hand washing, trying not to touch face, etc, so hate to think I picked up something so mundane ass pink eye.

I Got dengue 2nd yr or so I was here, and to me is was more like a bad flu than what friends that were properly diagnosed with it in other countries described, I have often wondered if it was not something else. The hospital was full as it swept the Island, barrio by barrio, of course no sort of testing there, the Hospital was barely a step above a shack. Whatever myself and those around me was a lot more like how they are describing the virus, there are so many sicknesses that pass around here the virus may not stand a chance.

Still not heard any first hand reports of infected from anyone I know
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Was just looking at "official" numbers, 16 confirmed cases, and 5 dead, NICA math at it's best, why not report true amount of cases and drastically reduce the death rate. Costa Rica has almost 800 cases with 6 dead, Panama like 8,000 cases, has to be crazy there,COPA not going be flying anytime soon.

Moral of the story, if you get diagnosed with the virus here, you got a 30% of making dead, 10X higher than in Costa Rica.
    Last edited by cookshow; 05-09-2020 at 04:51 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

We will never know here.
    Depending on what news source you watch, all is good and well or they are throwing people in holes in the night. Still not hearing any first hand accounts of infections, who knows, sure not me...
    Ernie K Doe

Depending on what news source you watch, all is good and well or they are throwing people in holes in the night. Still not hearing any first hand accounts of infections, who knows, sure not me...
    Some folks I used to work with are fairly certain family members and some of their current coworkers have it. When they went for treatment they were told to start feeling better and go home. A day or so later a "crew" came by claiming to be medical folks and requested interviews and such with the sick. Some did, some didn't, and apparently those that did were taken away for "testing", only two have returned after a couple of days.

There supposedly is some deaths that are being hidden. A couple in Free Zones that are basically unexplained.

Realistically, I take what I am told and divide it by about 60%, but I am fairly certain that there is some truth to the deal. Now with the rumor of "throwing them in holes at night", I doubt many sick folks make their way to a Cristian and Solidarity medical facility.

Blog Entries

The news has been so crazy here since 2018 that anything you read you have to discount. News is all over place right now.
    Ernie K Doe

they were discussing data coming from aggregated autopsies that Pneumonia was not the actual cause of many of the deaths are most likely hemoglobin related.

Yes, I've been following that thread too. People seemingly not distressed, talking on their cell phones,, alert, but with abnormally low oxygen saturation numbers. Their lungs eliminating CO2 normally, so no sense of difficulty breathing.

Then,, dead the next day.

The latest "cure du jour" is Vitamin D.

The latest suspect, "shared ventilation"
    This has become a culprit because of all the recent cases in NYC being from people who were sheltering in their homes.
    I suppose it could explain some of the nursing home deaths as well.

I do know that that damn truck will probably be the death of me.
    >>>> How can you have snow in New York and 106F consistently in Tucson? Where is Al Gore when we need him?

Kemo Sabe ? Yo no (Tonto no sabe).

Blog Entries

My favorite Korean youtuber says there are 2 ways to not get it--Don't get exposed or be protected by the vaccine when it arrives. No sympathy for miracle cures.

As far as d3, I was tested for it a few years ago and was deficient. My VA doctor couldn't understand how so many people in a subtropical climate in the summer could be deficient. Simple--low fat diets and not enough noon-day sun. In other words, doctor crap that they have been telling us for years. Taking 2000 somethings a day with a smaller dose K2, last test I was in the normal range.

The last time I had the flu was in the 1950s. Hope I can stay on a roll.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast