Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Pandemic: geography, politics & death rate stats

Default Re: Pandemic: geography, politics & death rate stats

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    This evening it hits home ..

Don Tonito - Always a smile and a wave - He called our youngest, Kevin, "Come-on"... He worked with/for Dona Angelita the soup lady across the street . Back on our first visit in '04 Chilo would call Kevin say Come on back - Thinking that was his name - it stuck - No pre-existing condition - not to "large", but chunky, 57 yrs old..

On the street where Chilo grew up a long time family friend (like 50+ years) passed as well.

Apparently one of the 3 for SIL's husband is not dead yet - In a coma in Managua.

Its bad

It's so hard to understand why the virus is so devastating for one person,, and of little consequence to another.

It's very different when it takes someone you know.

RIP Don Tonito

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another downside is the rains have started so everybody will have coughs and sniffles.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Another downside is the rains have started so everybody will have coughs and sniffles.

Will this spur the immune system so it's ready for Covid ? So many unanswered questions.

A friend's daughter got an early case of dengue,, 8 days in the hospital. So,, that is coming down the road with all the recent rain.

She is two weeks recovered, lost some weight,, but no other lingering effects so far.
    I hate it when kids get sick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Spurring the immune system is for vitamin and snake oil salesmen. Be healthy for any disease or injury-- diet, exercise, sleep-- but covid 19-21 is its own bug with its own antibodies. The problem with dengue and all the seasonal bugs is they can fill up the hospitals, make wait times longer at doctor offices, and lead to pannick decisions.

Spain is looking at restarting Madrid tourism in summer of 2021. Some EU countries are looking at "tourism corredors" where people from 1 low-wuflu area can travel to another low-wuflu area by specific routes.

Spurring the immune system is for vitamin and snake oil salesmen. Be healthy for any disease or injury-- diet, exercise, sleep-- but covid 19-21 is its own bug with its own antibodies. The problem with dengue and all the seasonal bugs is they can fill up the hospitals, make wait times longer at doctor offices, and lead to pannick decisions.

Spain is looking at restarting Madrid tourism in summer of 2021. Some EU countries are looking at "tourism corredors" where people from 1 low-wuflu area can travel to another low-wuflu area by specific routes.
    Diet, exercise, and sleep all help people to have a stronger immune system (it's true), but you've forgotten maybe the most important one: constant exposure to new viruses and bacteria.

You're correct about this virus being different enough that we've unlikely to have any antibodies carried over from other viruses (or at least not much of them), but antibodies aren't the only point to regular exposure to new viruses and bacteria.

Disregarding specific antibodies, a healthy and robust immune system requires constant testing and upkeep. If I were to use a metaphor, I'd say that comparing our immune systems to a boxer is apt. If a boxer rests on his laurels and doesn't bother to practice against other fighters, then he will won't be as strong as he could have been. If our immune systems aren't constantly working, then they are weakening. And, the more of a lexicon of defeated foes that we have coded into our immune system--the better.

I share a healthy skepticism of anyone looking to profit off of sickness, but in this case I don't see the profiteer. Understanding that our immune systems are predicated on exposure to viruses and bacteria doesn't direct me to buy vitamins or medicines of any kind.
    Soy el chele mono.

I'm surprised that they are not talking about immunity passports, like the yellow vaccine cards of yore.
    Why not ??

Wouldn't it simplify things,, show your card, you can be infected, and you can't infect anyone ???
    Worked back in the days of cholera and yellow fever

Quote Originally Posted by drlemcor View Post
    Diet, exercise, and sleep all help people to have a stronger immune system (it's true), but you've forgotten maybe the most important one: constant exposure to new viruses and bacteria.

You're correct about this virus being different enough that we've unlikely to have any antibodies carried over from other viruses (or at least not much of them), but antibodies aren't the only point to regular exposure to new viruses and bacteria.

Disregarding specific antibodies, a healthy and robust immune system requires constant testing and upkeep. If I were to use a metaphor, I'd say that comparing our immune systems to a boxer is apt. If a boxer rests on his laurels and doesn't bother to practice against other fighters, then he will won't be as strong as he could have been. If our immune systems aren't constantly working, then they are weakening. And, the more of a lexicon of defeated foes that we have coded into our immune system--the better.

I share a healthy skepticism of anyone looking to profit off of sickness, but in this case I don't see the profiteer. Understanding that our immune systems are predicated on exposure to viruses and bacteria doesn't direct me to buy vitamins or medicines of any kind.

People in nursing homes are old,, and some of them are sick,, but there are a lot of people these days in assisted living,, not that bad off. Their kids just don't want them around.

They COULD be isolated from much of the common stuff we get blown at us every day. They get their food cooked to death,, so don't get the bugs we get from our rare hamburgers and steaks,, unwashed veggies and fruits. We shake hands,, pick our noses or worse, not necessarily in that exact order. Rub cheeks, blow kisses.

Nicaragua is a really great laboratory. Too bad the numbers are not more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    We shake hands,, pick our noses or worse, not necessarily in that exact order. Rub cheeks, blow kisses.

Nicaragua is a really great laboratory. Too bad the numbers are not more accurate.
    It is the mucus that binds us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmkYASq36vo
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

In the USA, the total number of CoV-19 deaths per week has been decreasing since mid-April:
    Wk ending ___total ____per week ___ave/d
    3/28_______2,754_____ 2,754 _____ 393
    4/4 ______ 10,384 _____ 7.630 ____ 1,090
    4/11 _____ 24,962 ____ 13,678 ____ 1,954
    4/18 _____ 39,331 ____ 15.269 ____ 2.181
    4/25 _____ 54,256 ____ 14,925 ____ 2,132
    5/2 ______ 67.444 ____ 13.188 ____ 1,884
    5/9 ______ 80,037 ____ 12,593 ____ 1,799
    5/16 _____ 90,113 ____ 10, 076 ____ 1,439
    5/23 _____ 98,683 _____ 8,570 _____1,224

On Mar 1 was the first coronavirus death in the USA. It’s been 84 days. Based on the US annual mortality rate, on average, 655,960 Americans died of all causes (cancer, heart disease, flu-pneumonia, accidents, murders, &c.) during this period, 7,788/d. To date, 98,683 Americans have died of covid-19, and, based on the NYC data, 75% of these had “underlying conditions”. The remainder account for 4% of the expected ‘normal’ death toll for this period. According to CDC’s FastStats, flu-pneumonia was the cause of 2% of the deaths in the US last year, pre-CCP-coronavirus. So you could say this covid-19 is twice as bad as last year’s flu, ignoring the lockdowns, all the other scary gov’t bullshit, and the upcoming restructuring of the American economy & system of governance.

In Nicaragua, on average 87 people die every day. Thus far 17 have officially died here of covid-19 - in a month & a half - and many of those had pre-existing conditions. Maybe authorities have under-reported the number, maybe it’s 2X or 10X that. Even at 170, compared to the normal death toll of 3,900 for that time period, it is likely not a deviation from normal since the virus disproportionately takes those already on death’s doorstep.

Blog Entries

The thing that doesn't get pumped up is sleep, because it is harder to monetize it. It is a key player in health in many aspects, including car wrecks.
    An immunity card may be in the future but the science isn't there yet and the public agencies are so far behind in what they are already doing. And don't expect it to get respected internationally for quite a bit after it gets concocted. A 14 day quarantine you can control is better than a piece of paper.
    Danny got his feelings hurt because CR doesn't want his germy truck drivers, so he closed the border. Onward to more victories.
    Ticotimes has an article that CR and Uruguay are the winners in latam as far as covid.

The very slow decline in the US in new cases and deaths gives space for a measured reopening. It is a balancing act of hard decisions- the health services are still not ready, a certain portion of the public are dingier the bat shit, and you can't stay partially closed forever. Expect jumpy results with some areas thriving and others screwing up.

Supers and now banks are requiring masks to enter.

Blog Entries

The thing that doesn't get pumped up is sleep, because it is harder to monetize it.
    It is true, very few spend money while asleep. A possible exception is one who nods off in the arms of a puta fina who covers by the hour.

Latinos are 39% of California, 48% of those 0-17 yrs old. No one 0-17 died of covid-19 in CA. Of those ages 18-49, some 72% of those who died of covid-19 (204) were latinos. Of the total 3,646 Californians who died of covid-19 as of May 24, almost half, 47%, were 80+ and 27% of those deaths were latinos even tho latinos are under 20% of the 80+ population. In every age group latinos suffered more than their proportional share of covid-19 deaths.
    Source: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID...Ethnicity.aspx

Blog Entries

People seem to be split into 2 camps, the kill granma/get it over with camp and the shut down everything and wait for a miraculous vaccine camp. There is another camp, the muddle through camp.
    In this scenario, we will never get anywhere near "herd immunity" because some huge percentage of the population will avoid the disease. They live in small towns, self-isolate, governors will stop killing them by no longer sending wuflu patients to their nursing homes, better sanitation, and just plain luck. Sars 1 sort of petered out this way. The disease will be around, but not at epidemic stage, and not a threat to overwhelm medical systems and inept politicians and medical planners. We can once again have election years with just lies and half truths, not panic.

A hidden benefit will be that all this sanitation will trim down the incidence of regular flu and colds, and the next plague out of Red China, at least until we get bored of sanitation.

Story is Contran in Esteli is requiring temp checks, hand washing, and masks. Probably nobody (including me) riding their buses.

People seem to be split into 2 camps, the kill granma/get it over with camp and the shut down everything and wait for a miraculous vaccine camp. There is another camp, the muddle through camp.
    In this scenario, we will never get anywhere near "herd immunity" because some huge percentage of the population will avoid the disease. They live in small towns, self-isolate, governors will stop killing them by no longer sending wuflu patients to their nursing homes, better sanitation, and just plain luck. Sars 1 sort of petered out this way. The disease will be around, but not at epidemic stage, and not a threat to overwhelm medical systems and inept politicians and medical planners. We can once again have election years with just lies and half truths, not panic.

A hidden benefit will be that all this sanitation will trim down the incidence of regular flu and colds, and the next plague out of Red China, at least until we get bored of sanitation.

Story is Contran in Esteli is requiring temp checks, hand washing, and masks. Probably nobody (including me) riding their buses.

This seems to be what we are doing in the US. So,, wearing the masks and social distancing might help, I suppose it depends on the contagion level of the virus and how it spreads. It certainly can't hurt. Had we isolated granny from the get go,, instead of filling nursing homes with covid patients as Cuomo did in NY,, and packing into the subway a lá DeBlasio,, those oldsters might not have died as they did.

I was in Home Depot, the employees counting in the customers at the door didn't have masks. Nor did the girl who helped me at the self check out counter have one. We got pretty close. Business seems to be getting back to normal,, just there are anecdotal stories of people suffering without work. The construction worker who's boss paid him in cash; and I suppose, many of the illegals have no work yet.

But, traffic seems almost normal. I'm in the north. The big Koolaid drinkers are in the center and around the University. The ones who have yard signs,, All Refugees Welcome in six languages.

I might take a trip to the center of town today,, to see what is happening. Like everyone else,, I'm bored.

It's a learning process. The next pandemic will go much smoother.

So,, wearing the masks and social distancing might help, I suppose it depends on the contagion level of the virus and how it spreads. It certainly can't hurt.
    This is the most common rhetoric coming out of the "just go along to get along" crowd--when it comes to wearing masks and/or gloves and/or social distancing and/or full on quarantine. However, there are many immunologists who disagree with the idea that these measure "certainly can't hurt." Greater sanitation (microbe killing chemicals) and these other measures prevent us from spreading our bugs to each other. Those who don't understand microbiology might say, "That's the point!", but when we stop sharing our bugs with each other, our immune systems get weaker--not stronger. Thus, these measures won't make us more resilient to the next thing, they will do exactly the opposite.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

I might take a trip to the center of town today,, to see what is happening. Like everyone else,, I'm bored.

It's a learning process. The next pandemic will go much smoother.
    Amen and LMAO!

I need a project.....looking at boats.....someone stop me!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Every person on the planet does not have to get every bug. If we did, we would all be sick all of the time. If you ever worked in a public school you were sicker than a dog the first 2 years as you ran through the most common endemic bugs. But, that gave you zero immunity to the next new flu strain that came along. You either get it or don't based on who sneezed when in your AO.

Its weird seeing woman wearing masks in public. You can't help but wonder what is under the mask. Just like looking at a bikini! OK, just saying, I like boats, too.

I went downtown today. Nothing exceptional, temp gun, gel, mask at bank and super. Only gel at farmacia. ATMs working , but looks like BDF has contracted out so no free transactions. $4 is the new normal everywhere I know.

Everybody polite and going about their business. Went to get take out chicken at Estrellas at the mall. Didn't open at 10 am, me and 2 others left at 10:10. Made a mental note this town is getting suckier. Went to Tip top, chains across the entrance. Mucho more sucky because now I had to turn left against bumper to bumper traffic to go to Rostipollos. Open, empty, got my grub and left. Got home, changed out of city cudie clothes, washed hands and face and ate some nice chicken.

Blog Entries

One of my regrets here--I always wanted a little sail boat, like a 14 foot cat to play with on the lake. Go out on the weekdays when NFT (no f****** tourists). Here in Nic-- no boat and no lake. No tourists, either, but without a lake it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Amen and LMAO!

I need a project.....looking at boats.....someone stop me!

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    This evening it hits home ..

Don Tonito - Always a smile and a wave - He called our youngest, Kevin, "Come-on"... He worked with/for Dona Angelita the soup lady across the street . Back on our first visit in '04 Chilo would call Kevin say Come on back - Thinking that was his name - it stuck - No pre-existing condition - not to "large", but chunky, 57 yrs old..

On the street where Chilo grew up a long time family friend (like 50+ years) passed as well.

Apparently one of the 3 for SIL's husband is not dead yet - In a coma in Managua.

Its bad

So it is getting really bad in Bar. Santa Anna Managua - Another 3 in the past 2 days just on the street Chilo grew up.

In odd news up here - Ex Sister in law who contracted it up in Ontario 6 or so weeks ago then tested negative 4 weeks ago - Has it again - Preliminary judgement is that is a second infection, not a re occurrence of the first.infection.

This is consistent to what the Koreans were saying a couple 3 weeks back how re-infection is quite possible and why all talk of immunity passports have dropped from authorities even with pressure by petition and media campaigns asking for such
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Asia - home to more than half the world’s population - where the coronavirus (= SARS-cov-2 = covid-19) pandemic began in Dec 2019 or before. Look at the total who died of covid-19 per million population in each country:
    deaths/M - 5/24/20 - Asia
    China = 3 ___ Malaysia = 4 ___ Thailand = 1___
    Taiwan = 0 __ S.Korea = 5__ Hong Kong = 1 ___
    Singapore = 4 ___Indonesia = 5___ Japan = 6 ___
    India = 3 ___ Pakistan = 5 ___Bangladesh = 3___

Compare those death tolls with the ‘West’:
    Belgium = 801__Spain = 615 ___ Italy = 542 ___
    UK = 542 ___France = 435 ___ Holland = 340 ____
    Ireland = 324 ___ USA = 300 ___Canada = 179 ___

Why does a two-order-of-magnitude difference in mortality for the same virus exist in these two parts of the world?

Was the coronavirus racially engineered? Not likely since Asian-Americans in California are equally affected. And, for NYC, the cov-19 mortality of Asians matches that of whites, both being half that for blacks & latinos (the hardest hit, tho blacks get the press).

Is it the BCG vaccine given to babies in Asia and not the ‘West’?

Why ask why? Pass the pitcher of blue kool aid and tell me what I should think.

A lot of it has to do with who is keeping score. Spoke to a freight forwarder who has extensive, or had, dealings with China. I was looking to try and figure out how to get some Malaysian fabric to Mexico without it costing the pearls of the virgin Mary. Now this is all glossy hearsay, but according to him the death toll and serious sick toll in China is very high, a lot of people just have not been counted and a lot of people have been advised by local commie functionaries that they would be a lot better off if they did not get sick and they did not get help. True? I have no idea.

One of the Human Resources of a major Free Zone in Managua died earlier this morning, straight up puro Kungflu. Her body was wisked away and those in her family were told to STFU, and people in her office too.

A lot of stuff is hidden and manipulated in the US, where there is open reporting and lots of snoopy people, who the hell knows what all is hidden by other countries.

Every person on the planet does not have to get every bug. If we did, we would all be sick all of the time.
    You've made my point into a straw man. I'm not suggesting that we sprinkle Mercer and Ebola onto our breakfast cereal in order to beef up our immune systems, and obviously it is neither advisable or possible to get every bug.

A wise person can expose themselves to a reasonable amount of bugs through their social interactions with family and friends and coworkers. It may be that there is a limit to the number of people in any social group that would be healthy when it comes to the question of shared bugs. An average person interacts with dozens or hundreds of people. When you add in all of the people that those people interact with--you may get the total into the thousands. History suggests that this is an acceptable microbe pool. It may be that extending this pool to millions or billions of people through globalism has forced us to discover that there is such as thing as too many bugs (as you suggested).

What interesting about the counter argument is that it isn't a straw man. The quarantine, social distancing, and mask mandates eliminate all microbe sharing--not just the "bad" one that it is intended to eliminate. We know this is a real thing, because we can see that newborns have compromised immune systems until they are exposed to enough bugs outside the womb, and we've been able to observe the same thing in controlled long-term hospital environments where the patients aren't exposed to any bugs.

Just as there is a limiting principle on one end (too many bugs) there is a limiting principle on the other end (not enough bugs--or no bugs). On the one side, our immune systems are overwhelmed. On the other side, they are weakened to the point that they are ineffectual.
    Soy el chele mono.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    True? I have no idea.
    A lot of stuff is hidden and manipulated in the US, where there is open reporting and lots of snoopy people, who the hell knows what all is hidden by other countries.
    Even if China's cov-19 death toll were doubled or 5X, there'd still be a very large difference from what happened in 'the West'. Besides look at all the other Asian countries reporting, all are in the same ballpark and a world away from the ravaged West. What incentive is there to misreport in a global pandemic? Unless, of course, all is a grand conspiracy and the West over-reports by 100X while Asia under-reports by a similar factor.

Little Nicaragua, whose economy is limping, has been trying to continue business-as-usual, like Sweden, so it's in their interest to not create panic. In the USA, the tact has been exactly the opposite: fear this unknown Chinese virus, and do what your gov't tells you, stay inside and wash your hands and wait for Big Pharma to save you. Is it preparation for direct conflict with China?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Even if China's cov-19 death toll were doubled or 5X, there'd still be a very large difference from what happened in 'the West'. Besides look at all the other Asian countries reporting, all are in the same ballpark and a world away from the ravaged West.
    Do you really believe that China's numbers were accurate and possibly only understated by 5X? Money and business tend to eventually bring about a clear picture of things. In January when the dust up got real dusty in China companies I work with were told that their Feb & March orders would ship in May. Why would that happen if it was as mild as what you are thinking? And in actuality what ended up happening is the US based orders all got canceled anyways in April as the US ground to a standstill. But even so, production in many things in China was not back to even near normal in April, basically 3 months after the peak of the deal.

What incentive is there to misreport in a global pandemic?
    For the Asian countries, like some LatAm countries the incentive is to show your cowed, by intention, populace that the ever present big government will take care of them, and love them, and provide for them, and hug and squeeze them. They say people are basically 3 meals away from rioting at any one time. Well in a lot of the 3rd world the governments are in about the same situation for staying in power and they do not forget it. Third world countries do not respect law and order, nor justice. What they respect is authority, and if that authority starts to break down third world governments don't have shit to hold over folks. Always remember that the most dangerous man in a fight is the man with nothing to lose. Take away a populaces reason and benefits for living and watch what happens.

Little Nicaragua, whose economy is limping, has been trying to continue business-as-usual, like Sweden, so it's in their interest to not create panic. In the USA, the tact has been exactly the opposite: fear this unknown Chinese virus, and do what your gov't tells you, stay inside and wash your hands and wait for Big Pharma to save you. Is it preparation for direct conflict with China?
    I really don't think it is apt to compare Nicaragua to Sweden, big differences in all kinds of things, and major ones. I disagree that in the US the tact has been to create fear, what I believe is that in modern communicative times there is panic mongering in the US and that there is big money, hell I am making some now, in having major crisis's and disasters. There will be a pendulum shift in the US at some point, and I think it is coming. The US sentiment, on the left and right (pass the dutchie), is to protect and ensure continuity of what everyone has, and if more can be gotten then great.

Don't get me wrong, I think huge mistakes were made in the US, from the top to the bottom, on this deal and the Federal governments response was late and disjointed, it still is. But there is much more self governance in the US as compared to China and most other non-European countries, including Nicaragua, and thus the varying positions.

In essence, the China reaction will never be entirely known, nor will the deaths and effects. Countries is filled with devious liars, and it is so damm big that who knows WTF actually went on. Equally the US will over count the deaths and make it seem like a horrible tragedy, which it is, to a degree of doom, that is the American way. But the bounce back should be good, that is also the American way. I hope it is so.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    Do you really believe that China's numbers were accurate and possibly only understated by 5X?
    No, they've already corrected the total who died by +1/3 or so. I'd guess 2X is more accurate and 5X is a gross upper limit.

In January ... companies I work with were told that their Feb & March orders (from China) would ship in May. Why would that happen if it was as mild as what you are thinking?
    It began in Wuhan and tho the Chinese were sloppy & tardy at first, they managed to largely limit its spread to Hubei province by imposing a totalitarian lockdown on the entire country, which froze production. No other country on earth was near capable of such a feat. The death toll in Wuhan was kept under that of NYC, because the Chinese were better prepared and organized.

For the Asian countries, . . . Third world countries ... respect ... authority
    I believe the Asian countries reported more or less (+/- 10%) accurate death tolls due to this virus.

I really don't think it is apt to compare Nicaragua to Sweden,
    Both faced the covid-19 pandemic and said, "Let it roll." Life/business will go on.

I disagree that in the US the tact has been to create fear, what I believe is that in modern communicative times there is panic mongering in the US and that there is big money, hell I am making some now, in having major crisis's and disasters.
    OK, we disagree. A population cannot be ruled effectively if it cannot be controlled. It was an exercise in control thru fear. From Italy it was apparent that old folks were disproportionately struck down and that the disease was highly contagious, yet no gov't effort to isolate & protect oldsters was done, other than their voluntary self-quarantining. Those in old age homes got mowed down. The greatest error was bringing all the sick to the same centers, hospitals, where it spread.

After 9/11, after only the Saudis were allowed to fly out, the Patriot Act shifted power, not just to allow Big Business to wage forever wars in the Middle East, but to create TSA in order to treat all who fly as suspected terrorists, to drive home the fear of our vulnerability to foreigners. Trust no one.

the American way.
    Truth, justice and ... Yes, I remember the comic book.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567