Thread: Google News, May 10, 2020

Blog Entries

Default Google News, May 10, 2020

Nicaragua Daily update ⋅ May 10, 2020
    NEWS
    Coronavirus in Nicaragua San Mateo Daily Journal
    While the rest of the world is staying safe inside, Nicaragua is not locking down. In fact, the poorest Central American country is the only one in Latin ...

Nicaragua Primera Division Final odds, predictions: Proven model reveals picks for Managua vs ... CBSSports.com
    Kick-off from Managua, Nicaragua is scheduled for 9 p.m. ET. The latest odds from William Hill list Managua at +107 (risk $100 to win $107), while Real ...

Famous travelling couple now stuck in Nicaragua amid Covid-19 Daily Nation
    Nicaragua is one of the Latin American countries that belongs to the C4 block of countries; Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, and El Salvador. A Kenyan ...

Photos: Windsurfing Humboldt Bay North Coast Journal (blog)
    Bohdi lives in Nicaragua eight months out of the year teaching windsurfing to tourists and happened to time a two-week visit to Eureka to visit his ...

The Daily Acca: Managua to reign supreme in Nicaragua Betting.betfair
    This match brings down the curtain on the Nicaraguan Primera Division season, as it is the second leg of the Clausura Final. The first leg at Real Esteli ...

How the pandemic is leaving immigrants' families without lifelines The Week Magazine (blog)
    For years before the coronavirus hit, Sergio Armas hustled to support his parents back home in Nicaragua. By day, he helped manage a small ...

More Than 1000 Queue for Food in Rich Geneva Amid Virus Shutdown The New York Times
    We have to pay the bills, the insurance, everything," said Ingrid Berala, a Geneva resident from Nicaragua who works part-time. "This is great, because ...

“If I ever test positive for Covid-19, don't hide my data.” The new Facebook status of the nicas Explica
    The misinformation that Nicaragua is experiencing, by the regime of Daniel Ortega and Rosario Murillo, about the real figures and data regarding the ...

Business sector supports doctors' claims and asks the regime to establish a contingency plan as ... Explica
    On April 30, the Nicaraguan Medical Unit (UMM) demanded that the ... bioanalyst tells how the pandemic is lived inside a private hospital in Nicaragua.

Costa Rica has rejected more than 10000 Nicaraguan migrants during the pandemic Explica
    More than 10,000 Nicaraguans have been rejected in their attempt to irregular entry to Costa Rica since the closure of borders decreed in mid-March ...

WEB
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Google News, May 10, 2020

AVIANCA crashed, figure COPA is next, flighst to and from MGA are going to be scarce.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/11/b...-11/index.html

Maybe they will do like United a few years ago--they got a federal judge to save them by looting the employee pension fund. I met a guy here whose pension got cut from $2500 to 900 a month. Thank you for your years of service...

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

When flights resume, I expect there will be fewer and ticket prices will be much more expensive. As it was in its early history, flying will become a luxury mode of transportation.

The OK guru of investing, Warren Buffet, dumped all his airline stocks two weeks ago.

But, if Nicaragua goes balls to the wall as they look like they are doing, they will achieve herd immunity.
    At that point they will not be in danger of infecting their neighbors, nor of infecting the tourists.

Nicaragua will become one of the safest places to visit.

So,, how long will it take for 70%+ of Nicaraguans to become sick and then (the majority) to recover?

It's a curious experiment and one you would think that WHO would -if not support- at least monitor. The Swedish model: “sacrificing elderly citizens to quickly reach herd immunity”

Nicaragua seems the perfect place to achieve herd immunity. Crowded buses,, extended families living in close proximity with little hope of isolating a sick family member, school and other activities continuing as normal. Limited hand washing opportunity. Crowded taxis.

One would think that the virus would spread quickly, once adequately seeded, and just as quickly burn out when no more susceptible hosts are present.
    The perfect petri dish.

Blog Entries

Herd immunity is a figment of somebody's imagination. There is no herd immunity for the common cold, herpes, dengue, or the flu in general. The party that kills Granma, in the US or here, will not see office for decades.

Nic's capacity is to become a disaster for its own people and a threat to the region. Don't expect CR to open the border anytime soon. When will they ever learn to just put in big ferry boats from CR to Sal and bypass Nic alltogether?

Back to serious topics--air travel is going to be problematical for at least the balance of 2020. One easy bandaid is for everyone to wear masks for the whole duration--airport-plane-airport, and temperature guns at both ends. Airlines are toying with the idea of plexiglass sneeze guards but I can't see this happening. It would be a disaster in an emergency. Maybe sneeze guards between the rows but not between the seats might help. They are toying with leaving the middle seats empty, which would help a little but drive costs up. Like Fauchi said early on--if I have to travel for work I will but for pleasure no. No customers= no flights or very expensive flights.

The 2018 festival put the airlines on financial hurt and I do not think they will be in any hurry to come back after the wuflu. AA probably will keep up the profitable Miami route, United had been pricing itself out of the market half the time before this crash. Hopefully Copa will survive.

In march I took our annual vacation off the calendar for 2020, and probably for 2021. May try a family visit to the US in the fall if conditions aren't too bad. 50-50 chance from this viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    But, if Nicaragua goes balls to the wall as they look like they are doing, they will achieve herd immunity.
    At that point they will not be in danger of infecting their neighbors, nor of infecting the tourists.

Nicaragua will become one of the safest places to visit.

So,, how long will it take for 70%+ of Nicaraguans to become sick and then (the majority) to recover?

It's a curious experiment and one you would think that WHO would -if not support- at least monitor. The Swedish model: “sacrificing elderly citizens to quickly reach herd immunity”

Nicaragua seems the perfect place to achieve herd immunity. Crowded buses,, extended families living in close proximity with little hope of isolating a sick family member, school and other activities continuing as normal. Limited hand washing opportunity. Crowded taxis.

One would think that the virus would spread quickly, once adequately seeded, and just as quickly burn out when no more susceptible hosts are present.
    The perfect petri dish.

I just don't think enough is known about the virus to really know long term or even midterm effects. What if there is little if any immunity build up by the victims? And this deal is like a bad ass flu that keeps making the rounds over periods of time? Corona viruses do not have many, if any unless I am mistaken, vaccines against them. The is literature out there about there being different strains, in terms of virility, in different areas.

As a whole Nicaraguans are hearty, but I would not call them healthy, especially the older age set. As waves of this stuff wash through a marginalized populace it could really be rough going on some places. 98.5% of the Nicaraguans are not going to get treated at the Vivian Pellas or the Hospital Militar, they aren't going to be treated at all.

It would be great if it could wash through the country with minimal deaths and have Nicaragua come out the other side much better prepared. But I have my doubts. I think the chinks may know a lot more about this virus than they are letting on and it is the reason that they are so closely monitoring any flare ups. If there were lots of immunity associated with it, I think the Asians would be acting a little differently.

Blog Entries

Immunity, dream on.....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

l
    Like the dengue Immunity, they still ain't got a pill for that.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Sneaky bug. catchy at least 2 days before symptoms, and days after. Most appear to not have symptoms so how do you calculate when they are catchy? My suspicion is that it was in Los Angeles in dec-jan and the rocket scientist public health people had no idea it was a new bug and wrote it off as flu and neumonia.

According to research from Wuhan and the Netherlands, it is catchy out to 13 feet, and a jogger leaves a jet stream of cudies over 60 feet long. 6 feet with a mask is a convenient compromise becasue people have to function. And a cultural note, many Nicas yell when they talk which projects the germs farther out.

We saw what 2018 did to the Nic tourist industry, now multiply that to the world industry. Local travel will mitigate the loses in some for those areas that can adapt fast enough, but how many restaurants can operate at 30 percent occupancy or with their bars closed?

It will eventually end or diminish, but it will be a painful year or 2.

Back on the ground, went to a plastic store today. Glad they are getting with the program. A tray with disinfectant to walk thru to clean your shoes, all employees with masks. Skipped the new Value farmacia by la Colonia and went to another one by the Gonzalex building with employees with masks and another employee at the door directing traffic to half-way distance people. I will say that masks don't help with communication. Saw an expresso bus that has been replaced by a smaller bus, maybe a 20 passenger one.

Lotta rumors, mostly abiut Chinandega and Managua. Local guy who died was a zorro, related to 2 sets of people we know. Share the wealth!

And the big news, Trump f***ed me! Seems you don't qualify for the $1200 welfare check if your wife is a non-resident alien. Both you and wifey-poo don't qualify just to twist the dagger a little in the wound . I was really planning on buying $1200 of food and medical supplies for the long haul. Who knows, they just predicted a heavy Atlantic hurricane year for 2020.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Apparently - PASENIC stoped buying products from fishermen today - according to Noticias De Bluefields
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Can't ship product out. Lots goes out on commercial flights. For those that don't know, PASENIC owner is known as the Godfather of Lobster, he has sold millions of pounds of tail.

Lobster season is closed for another month or so, usually July 1 but have seen it be closer to June 1, not heard anything on this year.

The Coast has taken a beating, last 2 yrs have been shit for lobster, top that with no tourists, it is bad.

Back when World economy went to shit yrs ago they shut down during season, the Island changed overnight, freezer container loads of tail, could not sell, was eye opening. PASENIC has a fleet of boats so imagine they will still run them as long as the haul can pay fuel, the plant is a big employer, another big hit for Coast.

In recent years has been a surge in selling live lobster, 1 of my neighbors has done well with it, but if no way to ship, not viable.

Last edited by cookshow; 05-12-2020 at 04:24 AM.
    Ernie K Doe