Thread: Vaccines and herd immunity

Blog Entries

Default Vaccines and herd immunity

Vaccines will work and lead us to herd immunity. (“the only safe way to achieve herd immunity is through vaccination”) Here’s an excellent mini-lesson on the immune system that teaches that:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/31/o...-immunity.html
    The "finding that naturally occurring antibodies in some Covid-19 patients are fading doesn’t actually mean very much for the likely efficacy of vaccines under development. Science, in this case, can be more effective than nature." Read why.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vaccines and herd immunity

There is something called t cell immunity in addition regular immunity. Time will tell what works, if anything.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

CR going for covid insurance for Tourists. Somehow I think tourism is not going to rebound worldwide for 4-5 years.

https://ticotimes.net/2020/07/31/cos...s-for-tourists

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

I agree....when you think about the change in airline travel due to the WTC attacks in NYC and the huge bureaucracy that was established and now an even worse event is bound to embolden even more bureaucracy and rules and permits and documentation and tests and ........

It is a sad time indeed when your future is denied.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    CR going for covid insurance for Tourists. Somehow I think tourism is not going to rebound worldwide for 4-5 years.

If the vaccine becomes readily available, then proof of the inoculation might be all that is necessary,, like for yellow fever.

Hard to say about rebound. It will depend on whether Trump is re-elected. We sat on 4 trillion of cash during Obama,, no one would invest because they assumed (rightfully) that their returns would be confiscated in the name of social justice. It will be worse under Biden. He owes a lot more people than Obama did.

We can keep printing money up to the point where no one will accept it. I suspect that we are still a long away from that point.

The dollar will still trade in the US,, as Confederate currency circulated in the south, but if you want a German car, or some French wine,, or something from China,,, forget it

On the rebound,, the problem with the Dem investment will be the social justice aspect of it.

We enjoy a unique position with our dollar. Nicaragua could never do something like we've done with their currency. Like most of the world,, they have to buy or earn dollars to get the things they want, and don't produce. In the case of Nicaragua, that is pretty much everything but beans, rice and corn. And Flor de Caña. And puros. And coffee. The fingers of two hands.

Even their machetes come from El Salvador.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    CR going for covid insurance for Tourists.
    That sucks. No more border runs to re-up my visa for another 90 d. It's Panama or Mexico or Miami/Ft.Lauderdale. May as well fly home to Philly on a bare-bones Spirit hop.
    Tico Times: Only a policy purchased through the CR’s National Insurance Institute (INS) would qualify. For a 30-year-old’s two-week CR vacation it’d cost about $280 — which only increases for older adults, lengthier stays, or multi-person trips. When Costa Rica opens its airports to foreigners on August 2, all tourists must present proof of a negative PCR-RT coronavirus test from a sample taken within 48 hours of their flight and submit an “epidemiological form”.
    Hell, the best turn-around on PCR-RT coronavirus tests in the States is 4 days.

CR may as well post signs on its borders: only millionaire Chinese tourists welcome.

Blog Entries

The 72hr Nica is requiring might be doable, 48hrs would be tough, my understanding from what I have read is that the airline must present the info in it's manifest. Have seen a place in Miami mentioned that has same day results, think is $150, must be places in Mexico dong same as some Gringos have chartered jets into MGA from Mex City and Cancun. My guess is that like the onward ticket rule, if you are not allowed into a Country then the airline is responsible for taking you back where you came from.

Avianca Charters from MIA to MGA have started and the flights have dropped around $100, still close to $800 for one way ticket in either direction, Jet charter seats seem to range in $1,000-$1,400 and have been available in each direction. Is a charter scheduled from Madrid to MGA (tons of Nicas fled to Spain in 2018), not seen any from elsewhere.

Were people chartering small planes from the airport in Tola to San Jose which still has a few flights a week to States (Houston on United, I think), now see some doing it from MGA.

Guess there is a LOT of misunderstanding and questions about the new rules in Costa Rica, and they have flights starting tomorrow night.

With way things are here in States now (and looks like foreseeable future) I cannot imagine any Country letting in Gringos without a test, and maybe like Costa Rica, some form of insurance.

Ortega will turn this sow's ear into a silk purse, can use virus threat to pick and choose who gets in (and out) as the elections loom on the horizon and the repression increases.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    That sucks. No more border runs to re-up my visa for another 90 d. It's Panama or Mexico or Miami/Ft.Lauderdale. May as well fly home to Philly on a bare-bones Spirit hop.
    Hell, the best turn-around on PCR-RT coronavirus tests in the States is 4 days.

CR may as well post signs on its borders: only millionaire Chinese tourists welcome.

CR WAS automatically extending visas and car permits,,, I believe the latest extension is through September. We have a Migración office in Estelí. Nasty people.

The vaccine gets closer. If it gets here before January 2021, you might get a shot.

https://atmtee.com/products/veterans...31492096196702

I stumbled across this non PC T-shirt vendor. I bought three to my liking. I emailed them with another suggestion:

I don't know which annoys me more

Wearing a Mask

or

Black Lives Matter

Blog Entries

Last I read CR has extended tourists visas into November.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

And I read this weekend that CR will reopen to Canadian and EU visitors in the next week or so.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Just saw on a CR FB page, 2 weeks insurance for a 53 yr old, is $600. Is confusion as to if you can provide your own insurance or must buy from them.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

There will be few Canadians as we still require 2 week self isolate upon return - I have been told (but have not looked it up yet) that the EU does not have a stipulation for a self isolate rule any longer.

Our first no death day (for the province, 14M) was last week and our Region (K-W, about 600,000) had zero new cases Friday.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

You can for sure get a piece of paper saying that you tested negative in Mexico, for the right price, but an actual test in 72 hours? Nope, not unless you are very well connected with some very good connections. Mexican testing is the definition of trainwrecked, it is part of the mess they are in.