Thread: Charter Flghts

Blog Entries

Default Charter Flghts

Some sort of issue(s) with the Miami to Managua Charters, supposedly MGA to MIA flights are still on and more being scheduled, guessing this is why people chartering private jets into Managua have been doing it out of Mexico.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Charter Flghts

Are you waiting for real flights to start before heading back or will hop a charter?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Oh no, no reason to return in hurry, once virus dies will be election time there.

Just watching the FB Gringo chatter.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nic eections and covid may coinhabit the same small country. Judging by the local outbreaks in Spain it is going to be sort of a biological guerrilla war probably dragging on well into 2021. Lotta nutty stuff, as soon as Brit tourists landed in Spain the UK whipped a 14 day quarantine on their own citizens when they return. Sorry boss, my 1 week vacation took 3 weeks! Looking at Nic's entry requirements and CRs insurance scam, we are going to be in a very lonely place for quite some time. Hard to schedule regular flights when you have a buttload of constantly changing laws and virtually no customers. And on the passenger end, hard to fly if you don't really know if you will be able to get back.

Generally, I think the days of cheap foreign travel are gone. It will go back to a luxury thing, the once in a lifetime trip. And high-pretty, low-talent countries are going to eat it economically and with nowhere to dump their surplus population until the Dems get back in. Or at least the Neo-cons.

Relative in US says he plans to retire in CR instead of Nic. He's a dual national and both countries are going to crap.I suggested Portugal.

Thanksgiving in AZ not impossible, but doubtful. Daughter in US says big box hardware stores are open but with major supply problems in the form of 2-3 week delays on some items. Probably growing pains getting the supply chain up after the lockdowns.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

" . . . Looking at Nic's entry requirements and CRs insurance scam, ,,"

Couple on the first plane in from Madrid said it cost $1300 to get off the plane,, two 30 some year olds,, and a 6 year old.

Is it just insurance,, or do you have to provide some cash bond for your living expenses if you quarantine ?
    Article in Tico Times lacked detail, getting out of the airport took them 2 hours (of course,, it sometimes takes that long in Miami when several international flights land close together).

The insurance cost will keep the backpackers out. If they refunded the money when you left,, one thing,, but the math is too good:
    Madrid plane was 70% full x $500 per average = $50,000 per hundred passengers,, a very nice boost to the health system. Ten planes a day,, CR could balance their budget over a year on this money.

The insurance probably cost more than the plane ticket

How can Ortega NOT jump on that one ?

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    " . . . Looking at Nic's entry requirements and CRs insurance scam, ,,"

Couple on the first plane in from Madrid said it cost $1300 to get off the plane,, two 30 some year olds,, and a 6 year old.

Is it just insurance,, or do you have to provide some cash bond for your living expenses if you quarantine ?
    Article in Tico Times lacked detail, getting out of the airport took them 2 hours (of course,, it sometimes takes that long in Miami when several international flights land close together).

The insurance cost will keep the backpackers out. If they refunded the money when you left,, one thing,, but the math is too good:
    Madrid plane was 70% full x $500 per average = $50,000 per hundred passengers,, a very nice boost to the health system. Ten planes a day,, CR could balance their budget over a year on this money.

The insurance probably cost more than the plane ticket

How can Ortega NOT jump on that one ?

Some folks are going to pay up and go through with it, but a significant majority are going to say "No, hell no". The next impending mess that will impact travel to places like CR/DR and resorts in Mexico is going to be when some gringo gets deathly ill, and it turns out to be and or accompanied by Covid and they can't get back to the US and the health care system where ever they might be sucks ass or fails. That is going to be bandied about in gringoland near and far.

I also think the days of convenient and easy international travel are a think of the past, at least for a long time. I would rather have double anal herpes than pay $500 for a week's worth of insurance in CR. For Nic? Absolutely no flipping way. My ass will stay in Texas and Mexico for that matter.

The game changer as far as CR tourism will be to see what the DR and Mexico do. If the DR opens up nice and friendly like as well as Mexico, then CR will eventually have to do it or their numbers will be way down, no matter the juice they try to squeeze outta folks visiting.

Blog Entries

American Airlines pushing back till at least October, others will likely do same.
    https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2020/08/...os-a-nicaragua
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I can see a lot of push back on this as in essence, if for some reason the specific crew is delayed or can not fly, the flight has to be canceled.

Also the passport thing is puzzling me - Why do they want a paper copy? - Is it because they incur a charge to look up passports electronically and don't want to/ can not / pay that ?

Blog Entries

I assume it is a (pointless) security thing like the 7 day notice land thing that cost me so much money and grief.

Blog Entries

Sad, a twice a week flight to MIA would have been so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    American Airlines pushing back till at least October, others will likely do same.
    https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2020/08/...os-a-nicaragua

Blog Entries

Looks like travel insurance companies are going to have to re-write their policies to CR's new specs--

Starting immediately, international tourists entering the country will be allowed to do so with a travel insurance policy that meets the following requirements (from ticotimes):

1. The policy is valid throughout their scheduled visit to Costa Rica.
    2. It covers medical expenses in Costa Rica related to COVID-19 of at least $50,000.
    3. It includes a minimum coverage of $2,000 for accommodation expenses related to COVID-19.

Blog Entries

CR's government doesn't give hospitals $39,000 per Covid patient? How uncivilized!

Blog Entries

Charter flight on Aug 15 MGA to MEX will cost $550 cash or $570 CC in person at Tour Caribbe's office by Mon 10 Aug 5pm.

As the net tightens country by country globally in this pandemic polka, I feel like I'm in some pre-holocaust movie set in 1938, desperately trying to escape, before the embedded PLA Chinese are directed by the CCP to round up all gringos in country. Yesterday it seems like every taxi driver I rode with in Managua was Chinese-Nica. I don't know how many PLA are in Nica, not digging the canal at the moment. Family in CR tell me there are tons of Chinese there. Dominoes.

CR insurance runs $275 to $965,, depending on age.
    Per person.

An then you self quarantine for 14 days!

One problem I see is CR wants to verify your insurance prior to leaving airport,, how that happens I don't know.

One of the delays that the couple on that Mon night flight experienced was actually buying the insurance. The computer was not cooperating.

Anyone with brains can see that this is a huge opportunity for Nicaragua. That plus the Russian vaccine that Russia has been inoculating their soldiers with: Fauci says it's garbage, but I don't believe it.

An in your face success in Nicaragua might mean that DO doesn't have to steal the 2021 election.

And, come this Christmas the tourists go to Nicaragua instead of Costa Rica.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    CR insurance runs $275 to $965,, depending on age.
    Per person.
    And I am hearing (not read yet) that that is PER WEEK...

Blog Entries

"Anyone with brains can see that this is a huge opportunity for Nicaragua."

Sorry, wrong place. Nic doesn't do opportunities well. Maybe MEX or DR with direct flights to mega resorts with govmint cooperation.

Rapid extension of this is that one is going to have to buy travel insurance to travel now, even to low budget countries.
    Do the big banks own the insurance companies? We can't spread the wealth too far, only China and the banks can win the covid war.

Blog Entries

The CR insurance requirement will seriously damage the backpacker biz in Nica as they will skip CR (and Nica in the process). No cheap flight into or out of MGA so they will have to jump CR meaning they will have to fly from Panama to Guat or Mex or (or vise versa) to get any decent priced fares.

Bill, way I read it the CR insurance is for a 2 week trip.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post

Rapid extension of this is that one is going to have to buy travel insurance to travel now, even to low budget countries.

I doubt one can even buy COVID inclusive insurence now if you do not have an existing policy.

Bet many snow birds (To Mx,CR,DR US -AZ&FL and NV) who bought year to year will be screwed and those who bought multiple years may be kicked out on technicalities.

As KWP was mentioning, Cuba is really being hit hard from the posts in the resort FB pages with shelves in Moron (Largest city close to the Cayo Coco island resort chain) being soviet era bare.

Their was a news piece up here that Canadian snowbirds were the 6th largest component of the FL economy and hold something like 7 billion dollars (real dollars) of FL real estate.

Blog Entries

seems to me the CR plan was designee by a committee of uninformed players. If you have to get a negative test within 3 days of flight--
    They don't trust the tests?
    They think the real threat is the tourists catching wuflu in CR and getting symptomatic before leaving?
    The politicians need a fallback for promoting an industry that is not really ready to go?
    The insurance industry need a cash cow?

Bad year for travel. Bad year for airlines that have to second guess the ever-changing quirks of each country. Another thing for a traveler, with some bad luck one could get a 14 quarantine slapped on them on both ends!

Last I heard Spain was reopening to mixed results and are still talking Immunity Cards that the science doesn't yet support. Yutes partying, tourists, migrant laborers are the bad actors. Each country has to decide how big the loses they are willing to take for the tourist dollars. My home town is phasing reopening the beaches but limiting the number of parking spaces available on the weekends when the tourists come.