Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Are we there yet?

Default Re: Are we there yet?

Tica Bus is running from MGA to El Salvador. I don't know what Covid test requirements are for El Salvador, but it might be an option for the adventuresome.

I do know that Covid tests are available in Tegus in the $40 range. We paid $45 in Guatemala and got a 2 hour result.

The Tica bus we saw at Guasale was full. There was little private vehicle traffic, and was all C4 vehicles. No one was selling insurance in Guasale, probably because of the non existent demand.

We paid less than $300 to import the truck contents, but we did have to unload everything for revision.

The process was, first present evidence of Covid test. That went very quickly. Then to migration, price was $13 for Shelley, up a buck. Free for me.

This took a while,, there were two officials working and no lines. It took the same time for a Nica Salvadoreño couple to get their passport stamps.

The aduana guys we initially dealt with were very nice, and were lobbying for us NOT to have to unload. There is a large, separate, commercial clearance at Guasale, and a Señora from that side finally came over to review our load. There was a LOT of commercial traffic, as opposed to the minimal private clearance.

But,, everything seemed to be taking forever, not just for us. And the Tica bus must have been there at least an hour.

I had previously planned on driving back in a Ford F250 that I have here, but that requires getting the transmission up to Tapachula, rebuilt, and back.

Another option would be to find a transmission shop in Managua and ship the parts kit down.

We had no problem entering Guatemala, but Honduras requires a "Prechequeo" that you can do on your phone. Neither Honduran customs or immigration asked for it.

The Hondurans allowed our load to pass duty free. Unfortunately, El Florido is no longer just a private vehicle crossing. It used to be so pleasant, now clogged with semis.

We dropped into Copan for a quick afternoon lunch, a mistake. Via Via was closed, the town was clogged with Tuk tuks.

Like Antigua,,
    ":They paved paradise and put in a parking lot"
    if only there was a parking lot

This Covod business has shown us the future.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Not 1st hand but reading flts in and out are not full as they had been. Some company has a $650rt leaving MGA 29th, returning Jan 7th or so.
    I seen that same ad - I said "Hey Chilo - here is a flight from Miami $650(US) return for one week." All she said was they can comir mierda ...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

The Pirate is back in country! All is aright in Nicaragua. El-patron-mas-querido-de-Condega has returned. Women, laborers, hogs, chickens, maiz y frijoles, all are feliz in this Christmas season for the man has again assumed his place on the mountain. Joy to the world, well, Nicaragua's corner of it. And TRN once again regains proper perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Tica Bus is running from MGA to El Salvador. I don't know what Covid test requirements are for El Salvador, but it might be an option for the adventuresome.

I do know that Covid tests are available in Tegus in the $40 range. We paid $45 in Guatemala and got a 2 hour result.

The Tica bus we saw at Guasale was full. There was little private vehicle traffic, and was all C4 vehicles. No one was selling insurance in Guasale, probably because of the non existent demand.

We paid less than $300 to import the truck contents, but we did have to unload everything for revision.

The process was, first present evidence of Covid test. That went very quickly. Then to migration, price was $13 for Shelley, up a buck. Free for me.

This took a while,, there were two officials working and no lines. It took the same time for a Nica Salvadoreño couple to get their passport stamps.

The aduana guys we initially dealt with were very nice, and were lobbying for us NOT to have to unload. There is a large, separate, commercial clearance at Guasale, and a Señora from that side finally came over to review our load. There was a LOT of commercial traffic, as opposed to the minimal private clearance.

But,, everything seemed to be taking forever, not just for us. And the Tica bus must have been there at least an hour.

I had previously planned on driving back in a Ford F250 that I have here, but that requires getting the transmission up to Tapachula, rebuilt, and back.

Another option would be to find a transmission shop in Managua and ship the parts kit down.

We had no problem entering Guatemala, but Honduras requires a "Prechequeo" that you can do on your phone. Neither Honduran customs or immigration asked for it.

The Hondurans allowed our load to pass duty free. Unfortunately, El Florido is no longer just a private vehicle crossing. It used to be so pleasant, now clogged with semis.

We dropped into Copan for a quick afternoon lunch, a mistake. Via Via was closed, the town was clogged with Tuk tuks.

Like Antigua,,
    ":They paved paradise and put in a parking lot"
    if only there was a parking lot

This Covod business has shown us the future.

Blog Entries

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...est/index.html

Covid test to get into USA.

Only test in Nica $150 each, see if they go up now.
    Last edited by cookshow; 01-12-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Gee, could the US only be 11-12 months late?

Googled rt flight to MIA, $700 plus for direct flight, options for 17-24 hr flights from $550 to $1100.
    Plus 150 for test and ? for return test.

They are taking all the fun out of living at the end of the world.

Checked rt mia to sjo, non-stop from $183. Of course it wouldn't work because the CR land border is only one-way for tourists.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

Fucked coming. After January fucked going.

Imagine the bureaucratic nightmare on entering the US. The CDC will not accept just any lab's test results. Otherwise . . . there are diploma mills, why not covid-test-results mills? Some local travel agent will be in on the con.

Maybe the CR land border will open to gringos soon?
    There's always Ticabus to Tegus, San Pedro Sula, or San Salvador, whereever Spirit goes.

Blog Entries

According to TV the holiday surge is hitting now, guess yesterday was a record setter, & today expected to be same, and so on.

Bigger surprise than testing required to enter States is that any Country would allow someone coming from States to get in without a test. This morning hearing that they are recommending those entering to also be tested again 3 - 5 days after arrival.

Not sure why now, guess they figure going to get worse, or maybe taking a cue from Ortega and hoping to keep outsider prying eyes from observing Democracy at it's best.

Inauguration day is looking to be a bigger fireworks show than 4th of July if media is to be believed.

Strange times no doubt.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Prices coming down, or just more canceled flights..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Some perpetual tourists are making noise that their most recent 30 day extension will be their last and they will be compelled to take a charter out.

As it is 2021 maybe they want the fewest possible foreigners there the the events in Nov - Can't see why they would otherwise actively expel an influx of $US.

Blog Entries

And now after several extensions immigration knows exactly how to find you. Few months back immigration was going out and checking on people.

Saw a few reports in recent weeks of foreign biz owners being called into immigration and being politely reminded to stay out of Nica politics.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Don't try to go to c4 if you have been in Nic. more than 90 days. They will tell you to go to CR and try again. Except you cannot go to CR by land.

Report on another site that new permanent residences are for 6 months, not 5 years. You check in with them for a renewal, they no longer have to check in with you. Among other things, this is a real pita for travel, including c4. An expired cedula is only valid in Nic.

Ticos are bat-shit crazy, broke, and desperate. Could this be a negative indicator of future success?

Just practical tips from a practical person.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 01-13-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Ticos are bat-shit crazy, broke, and desperate.
    Costa Rica - the next Nicaragua! Get in on the ground floor!

Blog Entries

Funny, I used to tell people online that CR and Panama were the closest places to move (for a 10 year hold). Now I say Portugal and Uruguay are the closest since none of us can afford the British or Dutch islands.

Blog Entries

Copa resuming regular flights once a week for Jan-feb to test it out.
    Bad news their direct Cd. P.- Las Vegas flight has not resumed. Vegas is a ghost town right now so no wonder. Somehow a 10 hour layover in Los angeles does not enthuse me. I am getting too old for this crap.

Other bad news, I expedia'd copa from MGA and they are offering flights that do not exist for the other 6 days of the week.

Interesting webpage--they list arrivals and departures from major airports. Seems to be accurate, other than mga page is cluttered with cancelled AA flights. Also shows weekly routes, including the Jan 20 to Cd. P

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airports/mga/routes
    Last edited by el duende grande; 01-15-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Blog Entries

I noticed in one of the write-up about the coming covid test required by CDC to enter the US that both PCR and antigen tests will be acceptable. The antigen test is quick & cheap.

A quick glance at FlightRadar24, it looks like Spirit is flying in & out of San Pedro Sula to FLL. Viva Spirit! AA flights cancelled.

Inaugurate-the-Steal, virtually, of course, with twice the number of troops serving in both Iraq & Afghanistan, in DC as the only audience of the virtual thief-in-chief.

Blog Entries

I am doubting the COPA flights, even the Venezuelans pulled out. See posts about people bussing to El Sal to fly out. Not seen any posts about Hon yet but sure are out there.

Guessing once covid test for states kicks in MINSA will be overwhelmed, posts I see now say is already busy, people lining up few hrs before 7am opening.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

They mentioned that this is a test. I bet if they have to cancel flights or reject too many paid customers they will back out. They are undoubtedly in a bad spot--they have to fly somewhere or go broke. 1 day a week keeps their foot in the door and keeps 1 plane running.

No telling where the xmas meltdown will lead international flight from feb-april. Same same land borders.

1 source, I think it was a health dept in the US, said they do not have the staff to do both testing and vaccinations. Minsa may be in the same boat.

Blog Entries

A bargain....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Una Via is one way right?

Blog Entries

Si
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Saw this on the FB, crossing to Honduras to catch a flight.

"For those of looking for alternatives of leaving Nic other than CR. Yesterday we made it to Tegucigalpa through the Las Manos-border crossing. It was a 4.5 hour drive from Granada to the border (Tipitapa, Estelí, Condega). We were left by our driver on the Nic-side and our honduran transportista Orlando was waiting for us on the other side. It is a short walk from the first aguja to the migration and MINSA-office. It only is muddy and dirty, so don’t wear white sneakers like me ��. At the first aguja they check your papers and you have to fill the Customs-form as you get on the plane before arrival. We had our covid-tests made on saturday at Conchita Palacios and did the pre-check for the Honduran authorities at their INM-website (www.inm.gob.hr). Everything went smooth on the Nic side, they check your covid-test and you have to pay a 1-Dollar fee for each person (except Nicaraguans). The fee has to be paid in USD, they don’t accept Cordobas, preferably the exact amount, because they don’t have change. We were lucky to find a cambista, but he only helped us buying some lempiras, and gave me the change in US. Unfortunately, just at the moment we crossed to HDR, the medical personnel had been called for an important meeting, so there were no one to attend us and check our health-paperwork. At migración HDR they did not attend us and let us wait several hours, nearly 4 to be more precise. We were travelling with our 13- and 9-years-olds and they finally showed some compassion admitting us, without the special medical OK. After that, we were so happy, that we nearly didn’t feel the 3-hour drive to Tegucigalpa. If everything goes well, we will catch our flight on time within a few hours."
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I saw in Zuck's domain that one clever fellow flew Avianca from MGA to SJO by connecting thru (waiting a couple hours) the San Salvador airport. Couldn't have been cheap.

Would still prefer Ticabus or Nicabus to Tegus or San Pedro Sula.

Blog Entries

CDC seems to be in the CDC business now. Covid test to get in the US, plus another when you arrive, plus 7 day self-quarantine. Nobody asks why they didn't do this last January with all the flights from China. Remember the "xenophibia"?

Blog Entries

And now after several extensions immigration knows exactly how to find you. Few months back immigration was going out and checking on people.

Saw a few reports in recent weeks of foreign biz owners being called into immigration and being politely reminded to stay out of Nica politics.
    Skip to content
    NATION
    Migration threatens dozens of foreign residents
    foreigners in Nicaragua, Ministry of the Interior
    Passport. Illustrative image. // Photo: Image by cytis on Pixabay
    The government denies them a multi-year residence card, and delivers one for three months, to subject them to "home control" every month or 15 days

Ivan Olivares
    Ivan Olivares
    @ IvanOlivares66
    January 27, 2021
    On January 4, "Laura" received a summons from the General Directorate of Migration and Foreigners, under the Ministry of the Interior, in which she was granted a deadline to appear before that authority in Managua, despite the fact that she had never been cited before.

That is not her real name, but the woman, a citizen of a European country, is just one of several dozen foreign residents who have been called to that agency in the last three weeks, where they have been intimidated and threatened with deportation. alleging an alleged involvement in "political activities" within the country.

Those affected are professionals, businessmen, entrepreneurs; Many of them (Europeans, Latin Americans, Americans) have families in the country, because their children (or grandchildren) were born in Nicaragua, although there are also young couples.

CONFIDENTIAL also learned about the case of a foreigner and his neighbor, also a foreigner, whose families have received a visit from Migration personnel who have come to their homes to verify that their addresses match the one that appears in the records, and that their documents are in rule and up to date.

Marlin Sierra, from the Nicaraguan Center for Human Rights (Cenidh), believes that these are “totally intimidating acts. It does not make any sense, especially when it is selective. If it were generalized to update all residents, it could be, but it is a targeted threat, and they are requiring them to show up every month to receive the update of their residence.

"This violates Article 58 of the Regulation to Law 761, General Law of Migration and Foreigners , which establishes that permanent residence in the country will be valid for five years," Sierra recalled.

ADVERTISING

“In some cases, they have called their children –nationalized or resident– to send a message to their parents, to remind them that they do not want them to suffer a family separation, and that they do not use social networks to give their opinion . After meeting with him once, another person was called again to warn him that they were going to deport him if his wife did not turn down the gas, "he said.

One person described the interrogation as "an act of terror", in which he was frequently reminded and pointed out that he should be concerned about the stability of his children. "It resembles the practices of fascism in Europe," said another foreign resident, "those controls are like you are on parole, without having committed a crime."

Attention to foreigners in Migration and Foreigners of Nicaragua
    Area for the attention of foreigners in the General Directorate of Migration and Foreigners. // Photo: Archive | Taken from the Government
    Intimidation against foreign residents in Nicaragua
    "Laura" says that the receipt of the summons did not surprise her at all. In her capacity as a foreigner residing in Nicaragua for more than a decade, she knows that it is normal for that agency to summon her to discuss matters related to her immigration status, including the control of the books in which she manages a business that develops in the country.

"I thought it was the routine checkup," she says, but she was struck by the fact that the appointment came in the first days of the year, so she assumed that they called her to find out how to get money out of her " because we know that's what they are doing. these days, "I explained.

On the day and at the indicated time, he arrived at the Immigration building carrying all the documents that are normally required of him, “without suspecting anything. Upon arrival, I was treated horrible. They asked me for my residence card, and I gave it up, believing it was just identification. They told me, sit there, stay in sight, and don't move, ”she recalls moved.

After a while, the head of Migration approached her, along with two other officials, and said "follow me."

"They have not returned my identity card," she replied.

Follow me. I have it here, ”the man replied, in a tone that she perceived as hostile.

During the interview, they told her that they had evidence against him, with which they could show that he had been involved in politics, and that he paid young people in his community to participate in the roadblocks, an accusation that she received with surprise and rejects sarcastically.

When she asked for the evidence , what they showed her was copious copies of her comments on social networks, with which they told her that she could lose her residence, and that they had the right to kick her out of the country, if they wanted .

"I told them that if they wanted to kick me out, they should do it, because it is my word against theirs, and I know that I am not going to beat them," he remembers telling them, but they answered that "not yet ", because" thanks to the There are many foreigners who have jobs in the country ”.

They should stay in Nicaragua
    Two citizens from two European countries confirmed to CONFIDENTIAL the actions of the Nicaraguan Government to intimidate these citizens who, as they told “Laura”, in some cases are owners of companies from which they created dozens of jobs.

“These are entrepreneurs who create jobs. If they are expelled, they will return to their first world countries, and tell these stories. How will Nicaragua be? This decision not only violates their rights, but the right of Nicaraguans to employment, "said Pablo Cuevas, legal advisor at the Permanent Commission on Human Rights (CPDH), an entity that is aware of this situation.

The president of the American Chamber of Commerce of Nicaragua (AmCham), Mario Arana, explained that most of the foreigners who have legal residence in the country “are retired, or possess some property, or have invested here. There are also executives from foreign companies and NGOs that live in Nicaragua, ”and they receive more threats.

In the event that the resident is a retiree or a foreign investor, treating him in this way “is not optimal for the business climate, because that intimidation violates his elementary rights. It is necessary to facilitate the permanence of those who come to invest in private companies, or social companies ”, he recommended.

Other stories related to CONFIDENTIAL coincide in sketching a summons to the Migration offices in Managua, which they classify as unusual , because these types of meetings are more common in the middle of the year, but not in January.

When they presented themselves to the government office, the foreigners surrendered their residence card - normally issued with a validity of five years - and received in exchange a new document that expires after three months, in retaliation against these citizens, who also suffer harassment police and parapolice.

One of the affected sources, who preferred to remain anonymous for fear of further reprisals, confirmed: “I spoke with a civilian, who also received no explanations. We want to find out what's going on. It is an election year, and they are trying to get us to leave the country. We fear that they want to confiscate our businesses, ”he said, warning that he knows of cases of citizens of two other nationalities (another European, and one Caribbean), who were also threatened, but fear making a public complaint.

It is not politics. It's double standards
    The legal representative of a person of North American origin said that in the case of his client, when he presented himself to renew his residence they made him sign a document in which he basically agrees not to get involved in politics; to appear monthly to Migration of the department in which he lives, and every three months to Migration of Managua, while they gave him a residence card with only six months of validity.

Another source consulted, of European origin, confirmed that "several foreigners have been summoned [to the Migration offices in Managua], and their residence documents have been restricted to a more limited period." The Government alleges that they have had some political participation, but no one has been accused of anything other than publishing an opinion on social networks against repression, or in solidarity with the human rights of Nicaraguans.

Arana says that, “as residents you should not get involved in politics, and in the circumstances that Nicaragua is in, I would recommend prudence in your social networks, which should not be subject to inspection either. That they are foreigners does not imply that they do not have the right to express their opinion, even on social networks ”.

Cuevas, of the CPDH, recalled that no government office can issue a resolution against these citizens, because “the principle of self-defense is universal, and there are also international treaties on how foreign citizens who live in a territory," he quoted.

CONFIDENCIAL contacted the embassies of two European countries, who reported their intention to meet with their fellow citizens, while reminding them that the law prohibits any foreigner from participating in the political life of the country.

"Laura" rules out that these attacks are due to politics, because "I know foreigners who do not get involved in politics, and they did the same to them, and I also know the case of an Irish businessman who sympathizes with the regime, and publishes even Nazi things, but he has no problem. That is double standards ”, he sentenced.

“Do you want one more proof? Someone from the Front told me to talk to the people of the party, to help them financially to get them to remove the surveillance, "he says. His answer was:" I can't, because I can't get involved in politics . "

MORE IN NATION
    foreigners in Nicaragua, Ministry of the Interior
    Migration threatens dozens of foreign residents
    media using WhatsApp in Nicaragua, Nicaraguan media, media and social networks
    The challenge of using WhatsApp, a platform not designed for media
    journalist Jinotega Jacksell Herrera
    "They want to silence us," reports a journalist from Jinotega threatened by the Police
    MORE IN NATION
    They force relatives of political prisoners to buy more expensive food inside the prison
    The challenge of using WhatsApp, a platform not designed for media
    "They want to silence us," reports a journalist from Jinotega threatened by the Police

NEWSLETTER FIVE

ADVERTISEMENTS
    Check out our print and digital ad rates.

SUBSCRIPTIONS
    Request your subscription to the weekly print magazine here.

DAILY NEWSLETTER
    Subscribe and receive the most important news every day.

logo
    POLITICS
    OPINION
    PXMOLINA
    ECONOMY
    NATION
    CITIZEN REPORT
    MEMBERSHIP
    ENGLISH
    CONFIDENTIALTV
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries
    Ernie K Doe

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast