Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Are we there yet?

Default Re: Are we there yet?

" . . . Saw a thing once where a guy had a leash with a wire in it or something and a collar that maintained a round shape even tho nothing was in it. It allowed him to walk his imaginary dog. Think how people hail a taxi here and you get the idea. Or maybe they are petting the same imaginary dog? . . ."

How about a drone on a leash?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    I looked at Spirit.com and saw the earliest flight out of MGA was Oct 16, the 1am redeye. Having a voucher of theirs, I booked it for laughs, since it's cheaper than a bus trip to MEX. And by the way, why aren't land borders open yet?

The article in today's LaPrensa said that the Nica tourist bureau is afraid Aviance may cancel flights. Fewer and fewer customers are able to pass the Ortega entry health barrier flying into MGA. It's crippling Nica businessmen too. They say that the majority of airlines expect to return to MGA in Oct, but nothing is certain, except death & taxes (here, my monthly visa extension fee).
    Looks like Spirit and American have canceled for October.

Not sure land travel is in cards near term either. Guatemala requiring negative test within 72hrs, not sure about other countries between here and there, would be an expensive trip to or from Mexico if you have to get 2 or 3 test in route. Bus lines may work something out, but if airlines are any example, it will take a while.

Saw 1 of MGA travel agents advertising MGA to PTY charter but did not see price. Avianca still only game in town for USA flights and sounds like the future of those is shaky.

Airlines have started big layoffs as of Oct 1, low profit or problematic routes are unlikely to be of much interest to money bleeding airlines.

If you could get to Mexico, look at flights from Cancun, it seems wide open. Were some MGA charters from there I saw last month.
    Last edited by cookshow; 10-03-2020 at 06:39 AM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Current scoreboard:
    China 1
    Banks 1
    Medical industry 1
    H. sapiens 0
    More to come next year.

Also, as far as land travel don't limit it to covid--the 7 day pissing contest or equivalent is probably still on. And I remember what Sal did in March--they prohibited people from entering while they were in the air on the way.

Theoretical question: If a tourist came and caught covid who would they blame it on?

Relatives bugging me if I will get back for thanksgiving. I just Nica them and say "yes" but not what year!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

Not sure what is going on, 3 MIA-MGA-MIA charters have been announced for next few weeks, 1 on Avianca & 2 on Eastern. You would think if demand exists Avianca would add another flight per week.
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Not sure what is going on, 3 MIA-MGA-MIA charters have been announced for next few weeks, 1 on Avianca & 2 on Eastern. You would think if demand exists Avianca would add another flight per week.
    There was a piece in a few media outlets (Laprensa, Confidencial and Articulo66) on how the inbound flights are having to many being left behind on the MGA in flight.

Maybe Avianca will stop again....
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

googled Eastern. $400 out, 300 in. The difference is Nic has $100 in fees outbound which I don't believe is anything new.

I am sure Avianca is playing a risk/rewards game. They gotta do something because they are in the airline biz but they don't want to get sucked too far in the Nica trap. I doubt Colombia has told them they are too big to die, somewhere along the line they need to make a profit.

Spain has 5 million people on limited lockdowns, just can't keep them huggy/kissy go out to eat/drink at 11 pm folks healthy.

If I had a buttload of money right now I would do a week in Miami for r and r and chopping. Been here 7 months in a row, cancelled spring and fall vacations, big adventure was a day trip to Mozonte to buy flower pots. Good news is I go into Esteli less often than in previous years.

Owner of major food distributor in Esteli just died of covid. other than that I haven't heard of much. Of course, I don't talk to anyone so maybe I am out of the loop.

Interesting goings on about increasing the 30 year max prison sentence. Fake news stirring up people about rape/murders, peepul calling for death penalty, etc.for child murderers. Gov wants to do life imprisonment, opposition is getting nervous because it might apply to them. Gotta love politics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Not sure what is going on, 3 MIA-MGA-MIA charters have been announced for next few weeks, 1 on Avianca & 2 on Eastern.
    Where are you seeing these announcements? Private email from travel agencies? I saw the blurb on the embassy website - no price is mentioned, they must think all gringos are with State and travel is covered.

Avianca has doubled its one way price to MIA (~$1100) unless one takes the 11 hr holdover in SAL. (Probably to get sequestered for a 7 o 14d stay in hotel of their choice.) I'm beginning to feel like I'm trapped in a Graham Greene novel, The Powerless Gringo Trapped in Paradise.

Blog Entries

Seeing on FB. Contact Schuvar or Aero Mundo travel agency, they seem to be the major players for Avianca charters. Eastern you can do through their website.

The Avianca charter is under $550 each way.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

sucky in any case, OW to MIA used to be $350 and the RT wasn't much more. Plus to come back you need to spring for a covid test and hope it works out. AA is supposedly wrapping the covid test in the ticket price.

CR opening up, but I think it may flop as one jump in new cases could squash it all. Plus dummies blocking highways doesn't help a countries image.

from Ticotimes
    Passengers should contact their airline for the most up-to-date information, as flights and routes are subject to change. Many airlines have sold tickets for flights they’ve later canceled.
    American Airlines, Copa Airlines, Iberia, Lufthansa, Spirit and United are actively flying to/from Costa Rica as of October 6.
    Liberia International Airport in Guanacaste does not provide a detailed route schedule. However, United Airlines resumed service to LIR in September, and American Airlines has announced its return on Wednesday, October 7.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys. Eastern's flight out on the 17th is sold out, so I jumped on the 10th for $400 out to MIA. Got 3 days to pack. My little woman says I'll die of covid-19 without her to spray alcohol on me and force me to strip and march into the shower after an outing.
    Plan to return for Xmas so it's AA or a quickie PCR test or a prayer that Ortega goes soft for the holidays. CR is a problem for the insurance cost plus exit ticket.

I thought I might go to my polling place to vote Nov 3, but Jersey has closed all polls and mailed ballots to everyone, dead or alive, former & current residents, &c. . .

Thanks guys. Eastern's flight out on the 17th is sold out, so I jumped on the 10th for $400 out to MIA. Got 3 days to pack. My little woman says I'll die of covid-19 without her to spray alcohol on me and force me to strip and march into the shower after an outing.
    Plan to return for Xmas so it's AA or a quickie PCR test or a prayer that Ortega goes soft for the holidays. CR is a problem for the insurance cost plus exit ticket.

I thought I might go to my polling place to vote Nov 3, but Jersey has closed all polls and mailed ballots to everyone, dead or alive, former & current residents, &c. . .

Tell us how many ballots are there waiting for you.
    Enquiring Minds want to know.

And Buen Viaje!

Farmer's Almanac claims that this is going to be a bitter winter.

Blog Entries

My MIL was getting a ticket on Avianca to return to Nicaragua in December - there are hidden costs. One was a Nic. government Covid tax; er- "test fee" of like a hundred bucks or something. Then, she didn't want to arrive at 9 something at night because no one wanted to venture into Managua to pick her up at that hour. Or maybe she just doesn't really want to go back, I dunno.

Blog Entries

Hotel airport x seems to still be there in res Monticristi right down the road from the airport. Last time I was there they had a captive cab and it worked out real good.

Bad year to travel but do what you need to do because it may not get better. Have a good trip.

We went on a little day trip today planning to eat at a little restaurant near La Concordia. Sorry--they are now open only on Sundays. Ended up in a decent comedor on the far side of Lago Apanas, fortunately we were the only customers. I wanted to do some nature photography but everytime I took out my camera my wife went into panic mode that somebody was going to see "the gringo with the $500 camera" and kill us on the spot. "You know how bad the times are now". Good news is she doesn't seem to know what cameras really cost. Owner at restaurant said best to go in min. 2 car groups towards Pantasma. Coffee money is out and the thieves want their cut.
    No problem, I had already driven twice as far as I wanted so we went home.

Now Italy is doing mandatory masks nationwide with big fines.

Spain was putting neighborhoods into partial lockdowns when they had 1000 cases per 100k population. That wasn't working so they lowered it to 500/100k. Tsk, Tsk, some EU countries want them to lower it to 20/100k before they feel safe to allow tourism.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 10-07-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Blog Entries

“I survived 2020 and all I got was this lousy mask!”

Blog Entries

Hotel Monti Cristi block from airport x was also open. If you stay in that area ask directions to papusa place block away, good, cheap eats, if they are still open.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

We need a "Sticky" page here on TRN.

"I survived 2020 and all I got was this lousy mask"

"if they are still open..."

"Too dumb to leave"

Maybe they could be numbered like Agent Gibbs-- "rule # 9, always carry a knife", etc.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    We need a "Sticky" page here on TRN.

"I survived 2020 and all I got was this lousy mask"

"if they are still open..."

"Too dumb to leave"

Maybe they could be numbered like Agent Gibbs-- "rule # 9, always carry a knife", etc.
    How about a mask:

I hate this mask
    Trump 2020

And it could be a good investment because if Biden is elected you will be wearing a mask for the rest of your life.

Blog Entries

"Week 26 of two weeks to flatten the curve."

Blog Entries

This AM I read this email, that arrived yesterday afternoon:
    Greetings from Eastern Airlines,For your upcoming flight MIA-MGA on Saturday October 10th As per government guidelines your COVID PCR test needs to be submitted to this email covidmga@gmail.com on or before Thursday October 8th. (TODAY!)
    It is important to let you know that if the document is not received you may be refused boarding.
    Cheers!
    Cheers? OK, self, don't panic. I wrote a couple emails of alarm to Customer Service. No reply after 4 hrs. Email is for oldsters. I got Skype, so I call. Whew, as I'd hoped, it only applies to those flying into MGA.

This AM I read this email, that arrived yesterday afternoon:

Cheers? OK, self, don't panic. I wrote a couple emails of alarm to Customer Service. No reply after 4 hrs. Email is for oldsters. I got Skype, so I call. Whew, as I'd hoped, it only applies to those flying into MGA.

Do nothing. It all turns out well.

So, it turns out that Shakespeare had all the answers. I'll dig deeper as time permits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQurAEmt64
    The long version

I think that this might be Ortega saying: "If I can't go to Miami,, no one goes to Miami." Actually, Daniel CAN go,, it's probably Laureano missing out on all the exotic night life who is pissed.

Blog Entries

More charters.

We have now 2 Charter flights to and from
    Miami and Managua.
    24th and 31 October.

As always will be help you with government requirements as Covid-19 test etc.

And any additional services such as other dates , destinations connecting flights and all the services we have in our Travel Agency.

If you need further information you can contact our travel advisors by �� calling/Whatsup or send us an email to info@viajespremier.com.ni
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Another word for our Sticky list--
    Cheers
    I like that almost more than Onward to more victories.

Blog Entries

Looks like "normal" commercial flights are still a ways off. Avianca & Eastern each offering 3 charters to/from MIA this month, now seeing charters to Costa Rica, Mexico & Panama in October as well.

Costa Rica has extended tourist visa until March ( had been until November), so guessing they have no intention of opening land borders anytime soon. I have read you can cross from CR into Nica (with neg covid test).
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

From FB.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ernie K Doe

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast