Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 157

Thread: Are we there yet?

  1. #101

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Good information,, I'm going to send it on to a friend who is killing time in Chapala Mexico waiting for some solution.

    His (really hot) fiance can't get to the US (can't get an interview for their marriage visa), nor can she get a visa to Mexico.

    He could fly to Guate City, and she could jump on a bus,, which reputedly are starting on Nov 1.
    Antigua is next door, they have the city to themselves (Que romantico),, then on to Copan, , same-o, same-o, Siguatepeuqe, and finally,, Nicaragua.

    Prices should be very negotiable in Antigua, and they have some memorable hotels,, and there is a funky Via Via in Copan with hot water and good food,, for $10 /night.
    I shed twenty years when I stay there.

    I first went to Antigua fifteen years ago,, it's horrible how it has been commercialized since.
    People probably say the same thing about Granada and SJdS

  2. #102
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    See people on FB reporting their December AA flights are canceled, hard to believe none can make a weekly run viable?


    Almost weekly on FB see a story of people being denied boarding in Mia due to covid testing or paperwork snafus. Have yet to see any reports of people being turned back once they reach Nicaragua but did see 1 for Costa Rica. Guy had to spend nt in airport and fly back next day.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  3. #103
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,705
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    I have a 2nd hand story of someone's US covid test being denied and had to pay $150 for a Nica instant results one. Should be able to track down details this week.

    Update--nica citizen, not dual citizen, not allowed to board because he didn't know about the 3 day notice. Seems Avianca would be reaming people's you-know-what in advance to avoid this type of stuff. Covid test was apparently in order.

    Bad year to travel.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 11-06-2020 at 09:42 PM.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  4. #104
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    I read Costa Rica no longer requiring test, but still have to have insurance.

    Other day saw a o/w flight MIA - SJO for under $75.

    Testing in MIA is easy, several places, many using a place in Little Haiti, $75, results within 12 hrs.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  5. #105
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,705
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    byebye Thanksgiving
    AA, Spirit, Aeromex postponed till DEc.
    Copa, United till Jan.

    https://www.laprensa.com.ni/2020/11/...rtega-persiste
    Last edited by el duende grande; 11-06-2020 at 09:37 PM.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  6. #106
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Mia-SAL $65
    SAL-MGA $465

    Cheap flights on each side of Nica, but got border hassle.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  7. #107
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    2,095
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Looks like TicaBus will be traveling again Nov 12 CR-MGA-SAL, Nov 13 to Tegus, HO. There's still the hassle of the 72hr covid test, tho it seems HO is allowing the quick test.

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Mia-SAL $65 SAL-MGA $465
    Cheap flights on each side of Nica, but got border hassle.

  8. #108

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Looks like TicaBus will be traveling again Nov 12 CR-MGA-SAL, Nov 13 to Tegus, HO. There's still the hassle of the 72hr covid test, tho it seems HO is allowing the quick test.


    That is excellent news,, the Tica bus.

  9. #109
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Yes, they are selling tickets, same as airlines been doing since May.

    Hold your breath if you like.....

    Honduras is saying will open next week???

    Have read CR is about to ease up border.
    Last edited by cookshow; 11-07-2020 at 11:26 AM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  10. #110
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Seeing some posts on FB about people returning and having cedula issues, been out of Country too long they say. Not sure what magic # is or who decides, waiting to see follow up posts from those with issues.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  11. #111
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,705
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Yep, 2 years ago thieving bus company sold us tickets, after seeing copies of our 7 day notices. Honduras didn't let me enter and the same thieving bus company didn't let my wife come back.
    Travel C4 at your own risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Yes, they are selling tickets, same as airlines been doing since May.

    Hold your breath if you like.....

    Honduras is saying will open next week???

    Have read CR is about to ease up border.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  12. #112
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,705
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Info straggling in. Seems the game in Miami is that Minsa is somehow in charge of a mountain of paper work and they work only by email. Anyone not on email or who gets out of the loop is SOL. Supposedly 25 people denied boarding.
    Gunna be a shitty xmas for a lot of Nicas.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  13. #113
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    This yesterday on FB, seeing same thing regularly.


    Does anyone have a contact for Minsa or Avianca? I'm at the airport and they are saying I'm not on the list even though I did everything right. And they won't help me
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  14. #114
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Schuvar travel agency has 5 flights in Nov, 4 in Dec, and 1 in Jan scheduled, $599 o/w $799 r/t.
    Last edited by cookshow; 11-08-2020 at 02:53 AM.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  15. #115
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,705
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    As many may know, getting precise info out of Nicas can be difficult. The story I got was that Minsa had a rep at MIA. Avianca should also have a customer service desk. None of which may do any good even if it is true.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  16. #116
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    I would not risk flight in or out without travel agent. My departure in July was not something you could do on your own.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  17. #117
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,705
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Ok, got more direct info. He says he did everything by email as instructed. The airline has a desk that receives a list of approved entry people and it is a Go or Nothing list. No information, no recourse. He is a sandiniston who is pissed at Minsa incompetence.
    What we have net net is a visa-less visa done by email at the last moment with the airline being the enforcing arm whether they like it or not. I show flights in and out of mga but no idea how many are on them.

    Merry Christmas, all...

    Let us know what hoops you had to jump thru to leave. Usually it is just 2 minutes getting the exit visa.

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    I would not risk flight in or out without travel agent. My departure in July was not something you could do on your own.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  18. #118
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Ok, got more direct info. He says he did everything by email as instructed. The airline has a desk that receives a list of approved entry people and it is a Go or Nothing list. No information, no recourse. He is a sandiniston who is pissed at Minsa incompetence.
    What we have net net is a visa-less visa done by email at the last moment with the airline being the enforcing arm whether they like it or not. I show flights in and out of mga but no idea how many are on them.

    Merry Christmas, all...

    Let us know what hoops you had to jump thru to leave. Usually it is just 2 minutes getting the exit visa.
    No hoops on way out but no way would try flight in without using an agency to help if any issues, which seem to be common.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  19. #119
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    2,095
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    No hoops on way out but no way would try flight in without using an agency to help if any issues, which seem to be common.
    I concur. But if I'm flying into MIA from Philly, does that mean I have to stay overnight (hotel cost) or rent a car? What extra costs will I face using an agency's assistance? I found the info on several agencies on FB at (hashtag)asistenciaporcovid19, so I wrote them with the same questions.

    Curious that only a Colombian airline near bankruptcy can fly commercially into MGA.

    I'm convinced that maybe only half of the PCR covid tests are authentic. The grunts that give the people to be tested the paperwork and scan their temperatures, probably relay the word up the line to give this one a pass. If proven wrong later, they can always claim it was a false negative - no test is perfect. The reagents and equipment used are expensive, and the test takes time; at $75 a pop in Miami, it's a good business, but a far more profitable one if half the results are bogus. All MINSA/Nicaragua cares about is the paperwork, unless, of course, the person is obviously sick, walking off the plane in Managua. Remember, Miami medical was the leader of the Oxycontin scam in the USA, with Purdue Pharma's help.

  20. #120
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Schuvar Travel in MGA has 5 charters scheduled this month, 4 next month, and 2 in January, think $522 o/w. Not sure cost of regular Avianca flt.

    Think an overnight in MIA is probably inevitable for test, unless you can get it in Philly and time frame works.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  21. #121
    Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    near Esteli
    Posts
    1,705
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Since there are 2 and 3 day notices I think you would have to do everything from Philly before going to MIA. Use one of the agencies in Managua because I see it highly unlikely a US agency could keep up with Nica rules or give a FF about even trying. Normally, a travel agent gets a commish from the airline, so many percent of ticket cost.

    While all this crap is done online, I would have multiple photocopies of everything and a big list of phone numbers with me.

    I have given up on Thanksgiving and I pretty much give 2020 as a wash. Too many variables because the virus is smarter and faster than the peepul.

    "Support mental health or I'll break your head"

    ...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....


  22. #122

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Pfizer announced that their virus is ready to go today,, 90% efficacy.

    50 million doses by end of 2020, which will make a dent.
    Enough in 2021 to completely vaccinate the US and Europe and then some.

    Trump has the authority to order a EUA.
    UPS demonstrated their special freezers to maintain the required virus temperature.
    Trump is still running the show until Jan 20,, of 2021.


    Old people are second in line, after health care workers.
    Covid could be ancient history by mid 2021

  23. #123
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    I concur. But if I'm flying into MIA from Philly, does that mean I have to stay overnight (hotel cost) or rent a car? What extra costs will I face using an agency's assistance? I found the info on several agencies on FB at (hashtag)asistenciaporcovid19, so I wrote them with the same questions.

    Curious that only a Colombian airline near bankruptcy can fly commercially into MGA.

    I'm convinced that maybe only half of the PCR covid tests are authentic. The grunts that give the people to be tested the paperwork and scan their temperatures, probably relay the word up the line to give this one a pass. If proven wrong later, they can always claim it was a false negative - no test is perfect. The reagents and equipment used are expensive, and the test takes time; at $75 a pop in Miami, it's a good business, but a far more profitable one if half the results are bogus. All MINSA/Nicaragua cares about is the paperwork, unless, of course, the person is obviously sick, walking off the plane in Managua. Remember, Miami medical was the leader of the Oxycontin scam in the USA, with Purdue Pharma's help.
    Lot of big IFs, but AA and others showing flts to Honduras (SAP) for $65, IF they are actually flying, IF Honduras border opens, IF Tica/Nica Bus or others run. Might be a cheap option. Fly to SAP, spend night, get tested, have bus ticket as proof of onward travel. Too many IFs for me, but would be interesting trip.

    Also $65 flights MIA-SJO, sounds like can get 3 day insurance pack to cover transit. Seeing posts from people flying into SJO that have arranged private Nica transport that arranges SJO pick up and hand off to Nica Driver at border, not seen a price but sure not cheap.

    Been watching the FB Central American backpacker pgs, usually a wealth of info about border crossings, people just starting to post again, so some movement, will keep eye out for any useful info.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  24. #124
    Dog Whisperer cookshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Right Here
    Posts
    5,708
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Pfizer announced that their virus is ready to go today,, 90% efficacy.

    50 million doses by end of 2020, which will make a dent.
    Enough in 2021 to completely vaccinate the US and Europe and then some.

    Trump has the authority to order a EUA.
    UPS demonstrated their special freezers to maintain the required virus temperature.
    Trump is still running the show until Jan 20,, of 2021.


    Old people are second in line, after health care workers.
    Covid could be ancient history by mid 2021
    Now they need to spend a yr developing reliable cold storage for it. Sure they don't guarantee 90% success if any issues with handling, which there will be.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

  25. #125
    Viejo del Foro Daddy-YO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Philly - León
    Posts
    2,095
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Are we there yet?

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Lot of big IFs, but AA and others showing flts to Honduras (SAP) for $65, IF they are actually flying, IF Honduras border opens, ...
    There's a reason it's so cheap. “San Pedro Sula Is the Murder Capital of the World,” headline from prospect.org. To fly AA into TGU will cost $446 o/w and still all those IFs. In the past 10 yrs 60 US citizens were murdered in HO. Cheerio.

    Chatted with a travel agent: I need to arrive in Miami 3 days (72hrs) before departure. Rent a car and go to BioCollections at 5735 NE 2nd Avenue in Miami. The results have to be emailed to the agent early the next morning. Add the cost of two nites in hotel or AirBnB near calle 8, or the testing site. The flight I want leaves on a Tuesday, noon, but BioCollections only takes swabs for covid testing M-F 7 am to noon and the agent's asking me to get tested there on Sat (probably doesn't realize it). If I go this route I'll have to book a Sat charter. $520 o/w + car + hotel + $75-test. Plus the jeopardy of not being allowed in.

    Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Been watching the FB Central American backpacker pgs, usually a wealth of info about border crossings, people just starting to post again, so some movement, will keep eye out for any useful info.
    good tip

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Also visit the False Bluff Blog!