Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Are we there yet?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Are we there yet?

Friend is traveling Friday, see how it goes, he is in Miami, so testing part is easy.

Think spirit and aa tapped out for rest of yr, but still taking reservations and money..
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Only you saw "burn through". Sorry.

The 1918 pandemic did "burn out" . Eventually.
    There was no vaccine back then,, nor antibiotics to treat what was (then, and maybe now) the biggest cause of mortality:
    Secondary bacterial infections in the lungs.

No Azith

Are we seeing a second wave in Nicaragua ?
    Everyone I correspond with is no longer concerned with COVID.

Pic: Arielka runs a little arts and crafts Christmas sale every year to buy food to donate.
    Her English students are encouraged to "participate". This is typical of what I see of mask wearing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Yep, like pink eye, zika, and cough burn out.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post

Are we seeing a second wave in Nicaragua ?
    Everyone I correspond with is no longer concerned with COVID.

It will The data is overwhelming it will return. Unless chamu has Voodooed the exact perquisite of chickens.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lotta Americans are also not concerned about covid. It was all a fraud that only killed 9000 people, who were old and going to die anyway.
    Gunna be a crappy xmas in the USA.
    Wish I were in the USA where I could avoid peepul and go hiking in the desert where there are no thieves.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    It will The data is overwhelming it will return. Unless chamu has Voodooed the exact perquisite of chickens.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

The covid is crazy. I see more people I know here in States with it now than the past 6 months, and not just testing positive, but sick and some hospitalized.

TV says vaccines soon come but will people take them, will they work, and how long to get enough people vaccinated?

Busiest travel week since March, see what the coming weeks bring covid wise.

Far as covid in nica, people fearing being diagnosed hardly means it does not exist. For the most part nica was taking it more serious than the states, that has certainly helped.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Yep, I think the final analysis will be that Americans are too freedom loving to survive. Taiwan proved this is easy--test, track, isolate, masks. Accommodate what you cannot control. From super power to banana republic in less than a year.

People will take the shot, starting with health care workers and others at high risk. Then the oldsters who are tired of being told they are worthless. Phase in will be slow, it is a 2 shot regimen, so by March if there are no humongous short term side effects people will gain confidence. Also, people will be bullied to voluntarily get the shot as in get the shot or you cannot work, fly, go to church, etc. Riots will continue to be exempt if you riot on the correct side.

It remains to be seen how long the immunity lasts and if the bug mutates. Or if China launches a new bug. Not many options here, run with what you have and see.

Those of us who grew up with people who lived on the bad side of the depression know that going to restaurants was a treat, like a once in 2 years thing not a once in a day thing. We survived. A lot of the consumer society is unnecessary and just puts you in contact with germy people.
    Sadly, I think the age of cheap frivolous travel is over which will be hard on those of us who live at the end of the world.

TRN Member

Ladies and gentlemen, I'd like to hear what do You think about my plan.
    I need to go from US to Nica at the end of December. Avianca I ruled out, because I'm not sure there will be no hiccups with my covid19 test in Miami. Most likely I wont be able to print it out. That is what happened with my covid19 test in Cape Cod in October. I'm the citizen of EU and once the system gets my European ssn, it crashes. There is no room for errors, if one wants to fly to MGA with Avianca. Schedule is too tight.
    I also ruled out Honduras, because my understanding is that they want proof of negative covid19 test as well. Only difference was that Honduras accepts also rapid test.
    That is why I think to fly to Liberia, CR. Get tested and and with the result in my hand to Penas Blancas border (if they don't close it again). CR health insurance from CR insurance company can be purchased online and for minimum 3 days, which I found affordable. Only thing that concerns me is CR customs. I have electronics and power tools in my luggage. It sucks if I have to pay custom duty twice, both in CR and Nica. Btw, I've been hauling heavy loads of electronics and tools to Nica about 5 years and been never bothered. In MGA they've opened my luggage, asked few questions and let me go w/o paying single peso. I don't know for how long my luck lasts.
    Thank You for reading this and hope to hear what do You think about it. Is it doable?

Blog Entries

6 of 1, half dz of other, from what I am reading on FB.

People are flying into Liberia and San Jose and doing the crossing, seems most are using pre arranged private transport, meaning a hand off at the border, so you would have someone to possibly help with customs.

Been reading that customs at MGA Airport is being really tough, but seems to be hit or miss.

Personally were I you I would contact 1 of the MGA agencies offering charters, explain your situation, see what they say.

As you say, lot of snafus being reported by those booking Avianca, not seeing that with those flying charters.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Get what info you can, does anybody know if the 3 day passport copy applies to land borders or just air travel? At least with CR you don't have to deal with C4 BS. If CR customs starts to choke over your goody haul mention right away that you are a Nic resident and the goodies are going to Nic.
    I could sure do with a week fun stopover in San Jose, but not with covid, covid insurance, and hauling 2 suitcases of crapola. Seems the US is proving their inability to live with covid and that should spread to CR rapidly as tourism resumes.

Ditto on MGA, only times I have been to secondary was for silverware/cutlery which was resolved in 1 minute each time. But I limit my goodies to 1 power tool, 1 tablet, etc. Back in "the good ole days" my 5.5 hours of flight time was a grueling 15 to 18 hours so I avoided any extra excitement by hauling too much electronics.
    Last edited by el duende grande; 11-28-2020 at 08:39 AM.

Get what info you can . . . .

Always great advice but easier said than done with CA. Daddy-Yo is flying to SPS on the 16th,, I don't remember him talking about a Covid test required to enter Honduras. Our plan was tests in Honduras. Now, they are talking about vaccinating next week ??? Will the WHO yellow card with the Covid vaccination satisfy the border people?

A lot of going back and forth between Arizona and Mexico,, and no requirement for a Covid test, but this travel is along the border.

What happens further south is anyone's guess

Blog Entries

Looks like test needed in Guat, Hon, and Nica. Watching a backpacker page asking if possible to do Guat to Nica with valid test, no replies yet.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

IATA and some airlines are cooking up a scheme for mandatory vaccination to enter planes. They will have to get govmint or international organization to develop and legitimize the card.

Will the WHO yellow card with the Covid vaccination satisfy the border people? Just as likely it will invalidate the yellow fever card. Maybe WHO or somebody will approve the dual purpose card.

Trump talked about vaccinations in October. Average smoe will not see vaccines till next spring if nothing goes wrong.

Daddy-O and the airline have time to figure it out. Since the US is in the toilet again smart countries might start limiting travel. I saw 1 pathetic article about a US to Rome flight with no 14 day quarantine--the catch being a test before the flight, another one on arrival, and a 3rd one on departure.

Blog Entries

Correction --4 test for Rome flight, including a rapid test before entering plane.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...ts-us-74421939

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    correction --4 test for rome flight, including a rapid test before entering plane.

https://abcnews.go.com/business/wire...ts-us-74421939

lawyers run amuck!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Friend flying manana had to pay $160 for test, on top of $500+ for o/w ticket, makes Nica a hard sale.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Friend's flt was yesterday, charter on Eastern, a 767. Said some paperwork slowdowns but smooth trip. Did have 1 bag hand searched but did not see anyone having any extra trouble.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I’ve been following flights arriving in SAP. Many internal from Tegus or Roatan, a few international from Peru or Madrid, but all (AA) from Miami cancelled. Not encouraging. Yes, HN requires a negative covid test result, PCR or rapid, but I cannot find where it must be done within 72 hrs of arrival. I’ll do it here the week before on Medicare. It’s critical not to arrive with symptoms, fever &c., which means automatic 14 day quarantine. (In San Pedro Sula? Just shoot me.) A ‘pre-check’ form is required 3 days before entering HN. It must be printed and carried and shown on leaving. A curfew is in effect. To travel intercity a ‘salvoconducto’ is required which is done thru the police online. For a PCR covid test, Comayagua Red Cross looks to be the best bet. Labs in Tegus want $140 to $220 for the test. Echo in my mind: “You mission, should you decide to accept it, is to” arrive legally in Nicaragua.

How’s that song go? I’ll be home for Christmas . . . if only in my dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Friend's flt was yesterday, charter on Eastern, a 767.
    Arranged thru a Nica agency?

Blog Entries

Yep, just read Hon requiring test to enter

Yes, a charter, have 2 scheduled in Dec, all the agencies selling. My understanding is they have helpers in MIA.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Airlines are looking at huge class action law suits IMO. been selling seats on flights they had no intention of flying for last 6 months.
    Ernie K Doe

[QUOTE=Daddy-YO;161814]I’ve been following flights arriving in SAP. Many internal from Tegus or Roatan, a few international from Peru or Madrid, but all (AA) from Miami cancelled. Not encouraging. Yes, HN requires a negative covid test result, PCR or rapid, but I cannot find where it must be done within 72 hrs of arrival. I’ll do it here the week before on Medicare. It’s critical not to arrive with symptoms, fever &c., which means automatic 14 day quarantine. (In San Pedro Sula? Just shoot me.) A ‘pre-check’ form is required 3 days before entering HN. It must be printed and carried and shown on leaving. A curfew is in effect. To travel intercity a ‘salvoconducto’ is required which is done thru the police online. For a PCR covid test, Comayagua Red Cross looks to be the best bet. Labs in Tegus want $140 to $220 for the test. Echo in my mind: “You mission, should you decide to accept it, is to” arrive legally in Nicaragua.

How’s that song go? I’ll be home for Christmas . . . if only in my dreams.

Good info,, thanks!

Do you happen to have a link for the Honduras "pre-check form" ?
    If that's "at least 3 days before " . . I could still do it here.

I might try a commercial entry into Guatemala, I've done it before.
    Commercial through Guatemala is 24 hour travel permit. No hot tub in Esquintla
    I have a friend at the Guatemala border. He's helped me before.

A negative Covid check in Tapachula might see us through Guatemala and Honduras.

Comayagua is on the road from SPS to Tegus,, so,, no Siguatepeque this time.
    Really, It's six of one and half dozen of the other.

As long as Mexico doesn't go weird on me

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

I still fear greatly what the 2nd wave will bring to Nicaragua - I thought it would hit by Purisima, using the 2 to 2.5 month offset from the time it ramped in Nicaragua from here and the US, but that looks like a flawed guess. Possibly Christmas..

Or we can believe it (the 2nd wave) will miss Nicaragua completely - Yea Right...

What I was meaning to get across in that babbling, is that flying there will not get back to any semblance of normal until the 2nd wave has passed.

You could extrapolate that DOS and Rosario's restrictions at the border, and the difficulty of flying, will limit the ability to import new infections and they will only have to deal with community transmission. We will see how it pans out.

I believe that MINSA will need to release health stats (Death rate, life expectancy, infante mortality yadda yadda yadda) in December for the 2022 budget cycle from the UN and WHO.. Those numbers will tell a story for sure.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Do you happen to have a link for the Honduras "pre-check form" ? If that's "at least 3 days before " . . I could still do it here.
    That'd be https://prechequeo.inm.gob.hn Not "at least", but I believe it can only be submitted 3 days before entry.

There's a bit of turmoil in Guatemala at the moment; it may turn nasty, check it out.
    If my flight gets cancelled, I may consider driving down, but right now I'd need a team of raindeer to get my old Toyota Tacoma moving.

I'd offer you a ride, it would be fun,, we could re-invent Western Civilization, AND solve the COVID paradox on the way.
    But we are loaded to the gills. Missing a few last straps,, but,, otherwise, that's it.
    We decided to take a lay day,, every muscle in my body aches

You'd have to ride on top like grandma in "Vacation"

Next time,, for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The buses through Mexico are cheap,, when Ariana came up it was $99 from Huixtla to Nogales, Mexico. 3 days.
    Like Greyhound,, they don't stop. They are modern and very comfortable too. Some have WiFi

Sube somewhere around El Paso,, pretty straight shot,, Huixtla seems to be the southern terminus for Tapachula, colectivos run constantly to Tapachula about $1
    You are probably looking at two days,, El Paso and thereabouts is a lot straighter shot than from Nogales.

There are two crossing points close to Tapachula,, Ciudad Hidalgo and El Carmen.
    I haven't looked recently,, is the Tica Bus running ?

We may cross paths yet

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast