Thread: Buena Noticia

Default Buena Noticia

In these hyper contentious times we often lose track of what is really important in life

Ariana and Camila Trump Joe and Donald any day of the week.
    It's not even close
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: Buena Noticia

Congrats!

One thing you get along with life in Nicaragua is kids. Lots of kids.

This is Johana's and Javier's new son. Javier has been with me a long time now,, he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer, too strong, he cross treads fittings, and snaps off bolts.

But he's consistent, honest, and gets along with everyone. I used to put workers' pay in an envelope, seal it, write their name on it. One payday Friday afternoon Javier returned an hour after he'd left, and wanted to give me C$500 back. He had taken a day off, and thought that I had made a mistake in his pay. His wife is REALLY religious, and the evangelical church in La Lima has a bit of a holy roller flavor. They don't actually wind up on the floor, but there is a lot of talking in tongues and placing of the hands. Absolutely no drinking,, dancing,, or playing cards. Women wear skirts, NOT pants.

Javier and Krisnia get along well, but Johana thinks that Krisnia is going to burn in hell,, and has probably told her more than once. The politics in small Nicaraguan communities are tricky. Add to that the inbreeding, EVERYONE is family to everyone else, and you really have to watch what you say.

Sebastian continues to prosper. His latest thing is puzzles. He's learned about edges, and corners, and will do the same puzzle a half dozen times in a row. He accepts help, reluctantly, but only if HE gets to put the piece in its place.

He's polite, well groomed, and eager to start school.

Blog Entries

Great news! Suds all around!

Why's she wearing a mask? I mean, if she had covid the baby would too, shared blood, and now mama's milk. Probably hospital reg's to protect others, not her baby.
    Ariana has a hubbie now, right? - from PR? Her name's Camila?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    Great news! Suds all around!

Why's she wearing a mask? I mean, if she had covid the baby would too, shared blood, and now mama's milk. Probably hospital reg's to protect others, not her baby.
    Ariana has a hubbie now, right? - from PR? Her name's Camila?

This mask idiocy is prevalent everywhere.
    Ariana HAD the virus back in April.
    And her doctor and the hospital know it.

The thing is,, we still have all of November,, and December, and part of January, before Biden takes over IF he is elected. Both Moderna and Pfizer are talking EUA's in November.
    Granting an EUA is by law within Trump's power.

By the end of January, an awful lot of people could be vaccinated. NOT just in the US,, but in other countries as well.
    Remember, you don't have to vaccinate everyone,, just enough. The magic number depends on your political affiliation, below 50 if you take the red pill,, over 90 if you drink the blue kool- aid.

Remember, this has been a cash cow for many and they are not going to be happy to see it end.

But,, on to happier topics:
    Yes, Ariana is married to Carlos, a Mexican from Chiapas. They had a blow out Mexican wedding that consumed 24 hours. I gave away the bride.

He is here on some work permit that is supposed to offer him a green card next year. He manages a a roofing company here in Tucson. Carlos is wrapped a bit tightly, but he's motivated, forward looking,, and wants his own roofing company some day.

He takes very good care of Ariana, but demands her obedience, dotes on Sebastian, and now has the perfect family with the arrival of Camila. Ariana HAD four years of freedom before Carlos,, so she chafes a bit.

So,, Ariana has "arrived".
    When I first met her 6 or 7 years ago,, her dream was to "come to the US" . We expected some opportunity to change her status,, but it did not happen. Since she arrived illegally, "without inspection" , her best chance is an amnesty.

Had she arrived with a visa, and even after overstaying it, she could apply for a status change (or rather Carlos does when he gets his green card). It takes longer for a green card holder than for a US citizen,, but:

Arrive in the US with a visa,, doesn't matter if you overstay,, marry a US citizen, apply for permanent status, you can apply for a work permit after 30 days, and with luck,, you get your green card within 10 months to a year. The first green card is 2 years. If you are still married after two years, you get the permanent card.
    Once the application is in,, you are golden,, safe from deportation.

There is a service,, Boundless, a green card mill that specializes in marriage visas,, they do the whole thing for $999. You CAN do it yourself. Boundless claims a 97% success.

There is an interview,, which is slowing things down now in times of Covid,,
    and you have to provide evidence that you can support your beloved: $21,000

IN n OUT is hiring in Tucson right now,, $15 /hour, so there you go

BUT, if you are attempting a visa for a Nicaraguan girl (or boy, in these new times),, contact me.

I can explain what you have to do.

Truly,, many are called, but few are chosen.
    You need to have your ducks in a row.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some people get it twice. Maybe it's testing errors but it looks like people with mild cases get mild immunity.

Virtually nothing will happen by January. World wide they are looking at 5 billion to be vaccinated and the vaccine is 2 shots 3 weeks apart. That is a lot of logistics. Maybe the foreign shots will be different, who knows.
    Another booger is that because the vaccine is being fast tracked they don't have time to see how cold it needs to be kept so they will default to the lowest temperature possible. Many small/rural/ 3rd world areas don't have capacity to maintain that low temp.

Trump has lost momentum, it is going to be a tight election. And if he wins but loses the Senate he gets impeached in Feb.

Plus, I don't think the Chinese agents are going to let anything go smoothly. They are on a roll.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Trump has lost momentum, it is going to be a tight election.
    Judging from last night's debate, sleepy Joe has gotten woke. Whatever meds the DNC put him on, they're working. With Biden as president, Neill Ferguson predicts we'll begin WWIII with China, simply because most significant foreign wars that America has fought were begun with Dem presidents: WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea. . . and it's about time. China is totally primed to cut loose the hordes. Besides, it may be the only way to snap the world out of the next great depression brought on by pandemic-decimated economies, presuming it is kept from going nuclear.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

, Neill Ferguson predicts we'll begin WWIII with China

I really like his economic history bits, like the ascent of money was fantastic. In recent times he "seems" to strayed into the paid talking head space.

Was that extrapolation made in an editorial or in some other format?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Was that extrapolation made in an editorial or in some other format?
    He's been writing essays for Bloomberg News, opinion pieces.
    Joe Biden Could End Up Being a Wartime President

"Ascent of Money" was quite good. I particularly enjoyed his "The War of the World" and "Civilization: Is the West History?" series on YouTube. He brings a fresh, perceptive eye to history. I've become something of a fan, actually subscribing to the Boston Globe to read his column (and dropped my subscription as soon as he left). His views on China are well researched and thought-out and his perspective adds value to any panel he's on discussing China. He has had full access to Kissinger; his book about his early life thru the opening of China is an important contribution to history. Part II (after Kissinger dies, presumably) is much anticipated. His move from Harvard to Stanford nearly ruined him; the CA students couldn't hack his conservatism. His book "The Square and the Tower" (networking vs top-down, authoritarian control) is struggling to succeed.

When Trump was elected, Dems predicted war with everyone.
    This might be a point that he is not pushing hard enough.
    It's been nice to be war free these last three years.

Iraq and Afghanistan were expensive lessons.
    I hope that we learned something.

Camila is still in the hospital,, a high bilirubin count.
    Common with newborns, you can see some bronzing on her cheeks.

She looks a lot like her abuela, a rounder face and some indio.
    Robertina passed away a couple of years ago,,, it broke Ariana's heart not to be there.

She died early. She had diabetes and high blood pressure. And she was obese, but not morbidly.
    Ariana routinely sent money for medication, but little of it found its way to Robertina.
    Don Chico drank up most of it.

She had a small stroke,, hospital sent her home,, and then she had the major stroke that killed her.

Blog Entries

Cute. Stuck in the hospital with high bilirubin? Get her an absentee ballot. She is an American, after all.

Bringing the Taliban to the peace table made all the difference. For 19 years America's only tact in Afghanistan was to dump wheelbarrows of dollars at Hamid Karzai's feet. But the biggest roadblock was our own military who believe that an army that isn't tested in the field, facing kill or die, grows soft, rusty. What we learned was that many soldiers
    fit for warfare in a foreign land weren't psychologically capable of returning home to society; there have been too many suicides among returnees. Nothing can match the fervor of a man defending his homeland. Meanwhile, the technology that was tested there has transformed battle, esp. with drones & ultra-surveillance.

Cute. Stuck in the hospital with high bilirubin? Get her an absentee ballot. She is an American, after all.

Bringing the Taliban to the peace table made all the difference. For 19 years America's only tact in Afghanistan was to dump wheelbarrows of dollars at Hamid Karzai's feet. But the biggest roadblock was our own military who believe that an army that isn't tested in the field, facing kill or die, grows soft, rusty. What we learned was that many soldiers
    fit for warfare in a foreign land weren't psychologically capable of returning home to society; there have been too many suicides among returnees. Nothing can match the fervor of a man defending his homeland. Meanwhile, the technology that was tested there has transformed battle, esp. with drones & ultra-surveillance.

I thought we'd learned the lesson of casualties in Vietnam. Had we done what Nixon finally did towards the end,, we would have walked out of there several years sooner. Then again,, we might have provoked the Russians and Chinese to respond with a Korea-like effort. I reviewed Ken Burns' excellent 10 part documentary on Vietnam a couple of weeks ago. Afghanistan had Karzai; Vietnam had Thieu. You need to watch it from beginning to end to understand how it started, progressed, and finished.

Basically,, we lost Vietnam because we really didn't have a dog in the fight
    It had become a very abstract exercise, more about R & R in Thailand than fighting the Viet Cong

And Camila is home,, late last night. They finally got home about 11PM. Ariana wouldn't leave Camila, the bilirubin count wasn't THAT high, and Ariana's insurance probably wouldn't pay an extra day for her stay.
    Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 10-25-2020 at 03:17 PM.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thieu was a better man than Nixon.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Thieu was a better man than Nixon.

Nixon was on a roll until he went down the rabbit hole.
    He'd pulled some shady stuff in the run up to the election, and was afraid that it would come out, as did the Pentagon Papers.
    Something similar to Hillary and the Steele Dossier, but even worse.

Better?
    Like Bill said,, it depends on the meaning of "better"
    Theiu was no altar boy either (actually he was,, but not in the sense of the metaphor).

Overwhelming firepower is a great card to lead with,,
    but unless you can hold the ground, you are not going to win the hand.
    Without a dog in the fight, you are not going to be sufficiently committed to do what it takes to hold the ground.

Blog Entries

I didn't go to Nam. One guy I worked with who fought there told me about the human wave charges against their dug-in position. A Viet Cong or Chinese fell short of him and got up without his weapon and continued charging. He couldn't understand that. For me, the futility of that war was all tied up in the word 'gook'. Basically US soldiers could not tell the difference between friends & enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    I reviewed Ken Burns' excellent 10 part documentary on Vietnam a couple of weeks ago.
    Wiil Ken Burns still be alive when the LBJ library releases key documents to make the definitive documentary about JFK's demise?