Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2021 - Fresh crap...

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default 2021 - Fresh crap...

Instead of tacking this on the dated 2019 crap trap I thought I would do a 2021 crap trap

So with the goings on Marcos, trouble maker Nella started to get pissy with Marta. This lead to Edward getting in the middle making all 3 pissy against each other.

Chilo is tight with Marta so, SIL Jenny (Wife of Luis) came by Sunday to get the gossip. There was no real gossip to get as Chilo tuned off on the whole discussion because it is , well crap. Also it is approaching Tax time up here so Jenny was asking when I can do Luis's tax return (I have done it for the last 4 or 5 years) so the T4's and T4e's were dropped off. We missed a reporting period for Luis so he has to visit an EI office in person to get his payments back. Luis is pretty content to sit for the past year on EI year

But I did get a nice plate of Baho from it and a bag of K-pods - The place Jenny works has pods in the coffee break room and she grabs a bunch every now and then.

My Dad turned 79 yesterday - I called him and Chilo gave me the stare when we were done talking in 10 min - She just does not get Dutch practicallity of <Greeting> -- <Discussion of some substance, accompanied with brevity> --- <Short expression and discussion of current events in blunt terms> -- <end of conversation>

What we did discuss of interest is that it was Apr 13 of 1961 he arrived at Quebec city off of the boat on an agricultural exchange program - He then took a train to Hamilton (where I was born 6 yrs later) and was photographed for the local Hamilton paper (The spectator). He never did see hte photo or the article, but an acquaintance told him about it later i teh week when he recognized my dad from the photo. The Hamilton public library has all of the paper's edition previous to 1991 on fiche so I am trying to get into the library this week end to review Apr 14 and 15 1961 paper for the photo.

In '61 he toured southern Ontario, Upstate NY, down to FLA (I was a hair's breath from growing up a Floridian) and then up to NYC for a boat back. He retuned to the Netherlands and came back to settle in the Hamilton area in 1965.

BTW @ 79 he still has his 12 Jamacians up here "'spaekn da patwa mon" and Bryon (One who got his Canadian citizenship about 10 yrs ago) growing 400,000 sq ft of plants indoors and 3 acres outdoors.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2021 - Fresh crap...

<Greeting> -- <Discussion of some substance, accompanied with brevity> --- <Short expression and discussion of current events in blunt terms> -- <end of conversation>

I feel your pain!

In English we were taught that you need one sentence to complete a thought. Here you need 4 or more!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

It took decades for my dad, of Norwegian extraction, to speak more then two sentences. My mom, being of Irish blood, was always loquacious. Now that she’s over 90, I have to tell her things five times, distilled into simplest terms and spoken like it’s a 1930s long distance phone call though we’re in the same room. I can’t use sarcasm or it’ll go way over her head. My wife thinks I should have lunch with them once a week. I’m not sure I could handle it.

Blog Entries

Just finished 1/2 of the tax returns - Chilo's two eldest brothers con'ed her, who then badgered me, to fill out their tax return.

It is not too difficult and really is small potatoes in both time and dollar value. I use a reasonably priced piece of software that lets me do up to 20 returns.

Eldest, Edward was not here the 20yrs to get the full part of Canadian pension (OAS or Old Age Security) so he is mission out on $387 a month which anyone over 65 gets. As you would have read in my 2019 blathering thread he did get his CPP (Which is s shocking low amount a month) so he needs a return filled out.

Then Luis is too timid to go to the office and apply for it (OAS) . He has been here for 30 yrs and does qualify for OAS and can get his Canada pension, but only working sporadically over the past 20 yrs I assume it will be the same shockingly low rate as Edward once he applies.

We are tipping back to phase III lock down - Hamilton (where my mom lives) is back to full lock down so indoor dining is kyboshed again, no Gyms or Pools and gatherings (indoor) back to 5 from 10.

Our area is the same as last week so we stay at 10 person indoor dining and looser arrangements for outdoor.

Vaccinations pass 2 million this week (one in 7) with a good 3 million doses arriving in the next 10 days - If those get into arms by mid April it could get as high of one in 4.

My Mom got her first last week.

My Dad has yet to register.

Chilo and I can register in a week.

The Library in Hamilton got back to me - There are no appointments to look at the fiche with Covid, but the Librarian I emailed for an appointment said he will review the records from Apr 14/15 1961 and see what he can find.

Blog Entries

OUCH ..

So on Sunday the 21th youngest son decided he was going to be Tony Hawk and went skate boarding at the local mall parking lot.

He called me around 2 saying he fell and can't walk home

I pick him up

Monday he still can't walk so I pop home at noon and drive him and Chilo to Urgent care to have him checked out.

He sends him for MRI on Friday the 26th

MRI gets sent to the Dr on the 1st and Dr gets back to him today.

Separated ACL, sprain of the MCL issues with the meniscus and a fracture of one of one of the small bones .

It looks like knife time for him - Appointment should be set by the end of day but with all of the C-19 crap and hospital capacity it might be a good long wait.

Active TRN Member

All covered by Ontario taxpayers.

Blog Entries

His date with the knife is Friday - No time yet, but Friday

Yes - Cost so far is 2 hrs of (my) vacation time and maybe a 1/4 tank of gas

Active TRN Member

My best wishes for his speedy recovery.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    His date with the knife is Friday - No time yet, but Friday

Yes - Cost so far is 2 hrs of (my) vacation time and maybe a 1/4 tank of gas
    Plus a bunch of your taxes that you've paid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Plus a bunch of your taxes that you've paid.
    True that...

Blog Entries

No knife tomorrow - Consultation with orthopedic surgeon - They may x-ray here and there for further treatment options.

Back in Dec I decided I was going to do more "things" rather than sit ont he couch with Chilo watching her novelas and browse the net (Youtube ) So I ordered up a bunch of parts for a 3D printer, a CNC mill and a Laser etcher.

The big parts order was made in Mid Jan for a bunch of worm screws, pillow bearings. the filiment feeder, melt tip, brackets for the stepper motors (Nema 17) etc etc.

Not a lot of money but still of some note at $140US...

Then sit and wait... Well not sit, I did other things but still wait..

So.....

Mar 30 items show as "Delivered Mar 27" but they are not at the house

Mar 31 Bill checks post office to see if they are there - They are not.

Apr 1 Bill entered ticket with Banggood

Apr 2 Banggood asks I check post office -

Apr 3 (Morning) Bill replies he has checked post office, no items

Apr 3 (Afternoon) Items actually arrive at my door - Bill emails Banggood items have been received.

Apr 4 (Morning) Bill gets email that he can choose between full refund or resend

Apr 4 (Morning) Bill says that is OK, check the ticket - The items are received.

Apr 5 (Evening) Bill gets email saying " we have checked the ticket , please choose refund or resend"

Apr 5 <Shrug> Well resend then, it is not like I did not try to tell them

Apr 6 Notice of order preparation arrives for
    for about 60% of my original order

Apt 7 A tracking number received for delivery mid May (They say May 22.

Blog Entries

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283989773966

Bought this a few months ago.....my second printer....just keeps pumping out beautiful parts.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

I feel like I should get into 3D printing since I have Autocad skills, but I have no idea where to start or what to print.

Blog Entries

My extruder tip and feeder are ender branded.

Controller is a RAMPS 1.4 - IIUC it is the same as an Ender 3 V1

I figured out that the parts I had I could make a 500mm^3 printer for the same a 300mm^3 would cost - 1/2 way through framing that found I had enough residuals, with some Amazon filler for the CNC

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    No knife tomorrow - Consultation with orthopedic surgeon - They may x-ray here and there for further treatment options.

Back in Dec I decided I was going to do more "things" rather than sit ont he couch with Chilo watching her novelas and browse the net (Youtube ) So I ordered up a bunch of parts for a 3D printer, a CNC mill and a Laser etcher.

The big parts order was made in Mid Jan for a bunch of worm screws, pillow bearings. the filiment feeder, melt tip, brackets for the stepper motors (Nema 17) etc etc.

Not a lot of money but still of some note at $140US...

Then sit and wait... Well not sit, I did other things but still wait..

So.....

Mar 30 items show as "Delivered Mar 27" but they are not at the house

Mar 31 Bill checks post office to see if they are there - They are not.

Apr 1 Bill entered ticket with Banggood

Apr 2 Banggood asks I check post office -

Apr 3 (Morning) Bill replies he has checked post office, no items

Apr 3 (Afternoon) Items actually arrive at my door - Bill emails Banggood items have been received.

Apr 4 (Morning) Bill gets email that he can choose between full refund or resend

Apr 4 (Morning) Bill says that is OK, check the ticket - The items are received.

Apr 5 (Evening) Bill gets email saying " we have checked the ticket , please choose refund or resend"

Apr 5 <Shrug> Well resend then, it is not like I did not try to tell them

Apr 6 Notice of order preparation arrives for
    for about 60% of my original order

Apt 7 A tracking number received for delivery mid May (They say May 22.

I've had that happen too with BangGood. They claim stuff is there but it shows up two or three days later.

They use a hybrid shipping method, large over pack of individually labeled packages.

I gotta say, I was at least 95% pleased, and some of their prices were very low for the quality of the item. it's kind of like Harbor Freight. Not 100% but all the free stuff makes up for it and they are quick to take anything back that you don't like.

They honor their guarantees.

I met this homeless guy on one of my visits, he had made a little trailer for his bicycle out of the lower half of a shopping cart and some small hand cart tires.

He had a predator generator loaded on his "trailer", and we got to talking. He buys the two year warranty and then just exchanges the generator before it expires.

Blog Entries

I feel like I should get into 3D printing since I have Autocad skills, but I have no idea where to start or what to print.

Youtube university... What the Tubists seem to say at the moment is the Ender 3 pro V2, at a couple hundred bucks, are the best to start with.

Blog Entries

Go here....about a million ideas and software to back em up......free.

https://www.thingiverse.com/
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Yes massivly good stuff there..

My main catalyst is replacing broken plastic parts on some old radios I have. There is also a 3D scanner that costs about $150 where you can scan parts for replacement if you still have a good example.

One guy at work that just get the Ender 3 Pro V2 last month said all he has mainly printed so far is improved parts for his printer...

Blog Entries

I guess I'm boring, I didn't see anything there I just had to have. I thought these were going to make it less attractive to import cheap junk from China, but now the printers are imported from China.

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smart folks, them Chinese...

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

...with a 6 foot stick and mask and gloves....

Blog Entries

I thought these were going to make it less attractive to import cheap junk from China, but now the printers are imported from China.
    What's not imported from China? The air we breathe? - well, we share an atmosphere. The dirt you stand on - yeah, that's about it.

Because certainly the votes that swung the 2020 US presidential election were imported from China and delivered directly, thank you, into voting machines, so that no Americans touched 'em. Considerate, no?

Blog Entries

Chinese votes are cheaper than Russian votes, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    What's not imported from China? The air we breathe? - well, we share an atmosphere. The dirt you stand on - yeah, that's about it.

Because certainly the votes that swung the 2020 US presidential election were imported from China and delivered directly, thank you, into voting machines, so that no Americans touched 'em. Considerate, no?

Careful, Dominion will put you on their massive "to sue" list.
    The truth hurts too much.

The question is,, was this a one time Steal ?
    Or is it what we have to look forward to in the future?

Looks like Lani got what she was asking for:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lani_Guinier

My question is, "Do I have to pay reparations if I live in Nicaragua ?"

Blog Entries

Gotta wonder, when haven't elections been stolen?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy-YO View Post
    What's not imported from China?
    We ( the US, Commonwealth and EU) all made a conscious choice to have price as the leading factor in our consumption patterns - I see no surprise that we sold our own manufacturing prowess for cheap Jeans, TVs and other trinkets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast