Thread: Cigar makers beware

Blog Entries

Default Cigar makers beware

FisherCigarMan is probably already aware of this, but the US Congress is proposing to raise taxes on cigars from fifty cents per cigar to $10.

If, as the article states, there are 5.3 billion cigars sold each year in the US, they are now collecting $2,650,000,000 with the current tax. If sales dropped by 90%, the amount collected under the new tax would approximately double. I guess the Feds don't give a crap about the unemployment caused by a 90% decrease in cigar sales. Gosh, they're hurting poor third world people who are already being oppressed by the US Empire. :roll:

Why do the feds want to do this? To distribute payments to the states to help buy health insurance for kids not poor enough for Medicaid. Who is proposing this? The Democrats.

The Bush administration may inadvertently come to the industry's aid. The president has vowed to veto the bill, not over the cigar provision but over objections to expanding federally financed health care for the non-indigent.
    http://www.sptimes.com/2007/07/17/Bu...n_a_pani.shtml

Active TRN Member

Default Re: Cigar makers beware

in the absence of universal health care the government should subsidize tobacco and encourage smoking then they wouldn't have to worry about the social security crisis or any of the other problems created by people over 50, like war and government.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    FisherCigarMan is probably already aware of this, but the US Congress is proposing to raise taxes on cigars from fifty cents per cigar to $10.

If, as the article states, there are 5.3 billion cigars sold each year in the US, they are now collecting $2,650,000,000 with the current tax. If sales dropped by 90%, the amount collected under the new tax would approximately double. I guess the Feds don't give a crap about the unemployment caused by a 90% decrease in cigar sales. Gosh, they're hurting poor third world people who are already being oppressed by the US Empire. :roll:

Why do the feds want to do this? To distribute payments to the states to help buy health insurance for kids not poor enough for Medicaid. Who is proposing this? The Democrats.

The Bush administration may inadvertently come to the industry's aid. The president has vowed to veto the bill, not over the cigar provision but over objections to expanding federally financed health care for the non-indigent.
    Mr Valentine's dead but it won't slow him down... he's determined to stay on his feet... and he bangs on the table and orders a round... and he pays with the gold in his teeth

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr_valentine
    in the absence of universal health care the government should subsidize tobacco and encourage smoking then they wouldn't have to worry about the social security crisis or any of the other problems created by people over 50, like war and government.
    Or just slap a tax of $10 a gallon on drinking water, or 10% on food. Imagine all the home gardens people would start, and the well business would boom.

Speaking of which . . .

What happened with the tax on wells the Nica government (or do we now call it the FSLN government) proposed?

Active TRN Member

If you're buying your water from Coca-Cola it's almost $10 a gallon now I think. And we must be over 10% on food by now I think. I think most folks would eat Soylent Green before they'd think to plant a garden. What they eat now is closer to soylent green than to nature.

Donner, party of four, your table is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_valentine
    Or just slap a tax of $10 a gallon on drinking water, or 10% on food. Imagine all the home gardens people would start, and the well business would boom.

Speaking of which . . .

What happened with the tax on wells the Nica government (or do we now call it the FSLN government) proposed?
    Mr Valentine's dead but it won't slow him down... he's determined to stay on his feet... and he bangs on the table and orders a round... and he pays with the gold in his teeth

Blog Entries

VAT on food - in Florida, there's no sales tax on food. We do, however, tax hotel rooms out the wazoo, for the tourists. Let people who don't live here pay our taxes for us. How cool is that?

Active TRN Member

Default we have a new "Destination Fee" in Niagara

but the money is supposed to stay in the provincial Tourism budget. They must have got the idea from Florida.

VAT on food - in Florida, there's no sales tax on food. We do, however, tax hotel rooms out the wazoo, for the tourists. Let people who don't live here pay our taxes for us. How cool is that?

Default it's the

anti rush limbaugh tax. they would have taxed oxycontin, but he got over that.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Default sorry....

if i would have seen this thread, i would not have started the boston tea party thread.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Active TRN Member

fyi. Ontario tax on cigars is 22% but we still get to smoke Cubans ; ) though I prefer Nicaraguans when I can find them.

is

Blog Entries

La Prensa now talks about this.

http://www.laprensa.com.ni/archivo/2...s/204931.shtml

Adverse factors like the probable creation of a new tax on the consumption of tobacco in the United States, the energy crisis in Nicaragua, nad the "enrarecimiento" of the political climate could accelerate plans of tobacco companies to close in the North zone.

Between the tobacco agro industries that will close operations in the Segovia (mountains) are Roba Casa, Nicaragua Cigars, Tabacos de Oriente Nick Cigars, Natsa, Drew State, Tabacos Olivas, Segovias Cigars, Nicasa, Padrón, Latin Cigars y Cuba Nica, entre otras.
    Sidebar
    The eventual closing of the northern tobacco companies will indirectly affect some 45,000 families that depend on the related labors like the picking and processing of tobacco leaves. It has a demoralizing (? - demoledor) impact on economies like that of Esteli
    I'm glad Extreme Cigars isn't on that list!

More reason for the world to despise America. Thank you, liberals.

Default what liberals need....

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass
    Can't think of anything I need
    No cigarettes, no sleep, no light, no sound
    Nothing to eat no books to read
    Making love with you, has left me peaceful warm inside
    What more could I ask
    There's nothing left to be desired

Sometimes all I need is the air that I breathe and to love you
    All I need is the air that I breathe yes to love you
    Just to have you now
    All I need is the air that I breathe you're all I want

Peace came upon me and it breathes in me
    Don't sleep silent angel don't you sleep

Sometimes all I need is the air that I breathe and to love you
    just to have you now
    All I need is the air that I breathe yes to love you
    All I need is the air that I breathe you're all I want

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default I read the article Today

That is just an assumption thou. most of the above mentioned factories will NEVER close,unless DO shuts them down, even if there was an embargo from the USA, There is the European market.

Right now over 75% percent of our production goes to Europe any how,so that tax increase(If it goes through) will not affect our factory enough to shut down anyways

Adverse factors like the probable creation of a new tax on the consumption of tobacco in the United States, the energy crisis in Nicaragua, nad the "enrarecimiento" of the political climate could accelerate plans of tobacco companies to close in the North zone.

Between the tobacco agro industries that will close operations in the Segovia (mountains) are Roba Casa, Nicaragua Cigars, Tabacos de Oriente Nick Cigars, Natsa, Drew State, Tabacos Olivas, Segovias Cigars, Nicasa, Padrón, Latin Cigars y Cuba Nica, entre otras.
    Sidebar
    The eventual closing of the northern tobacco companies will indirectly affect some 45,000 families that depend on the related labors like the picking and processing of tobacco leaves. It has a demoralizing (? - demoledor) impact on economies like that of Esteli

Default felix....

i too am glad extreme cigars is not on the list! did anyone invite you to the july 31 get together? consider yourself invited. or more formally, you are cordially invited!

Blog Entries

Default Re: I read the article Today

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman
    That is just an assumption thou. most of the above mentioned factories will NEVER close,unless DO shuts them down, even if there was an embargo from the USA, There is the European market.

Right now over 75% percent of our production goes to Europe any how,so that tax increase(If it goes through) will not affect our factory enough to shut down anyways
    Ah, I should have known better than to trust the media. My new sarcastic motto shall be, "The news reported it, I believe it, that settles it."

Default Cigars

The newspaper will be shut down before any cigar factory does. My understanding that up north is where Ortega received much of his support.

Seems ridiculous that anyone would threaten them. Here is a business that does employ Nicaraguans unlike real estate speculation.

And about the law being passed in USA-Can't expect this will happen. This has more to do with the politics of spending in Washington that is simply out of control. None of the candidates are discussing Central America-only proxy mentioned to confront Chavez. On the Youtube debate they mentioned several evil names and Ortega was not mentioned.

I think DO will increase the retoric against the USA and will peek if the favorite (Hillary) wins the next election as I believe she will. Then the anti US statements and rhetoric won't work any longer for him. If he is so humiliated he may do a few confiscations here and there but I do not think he will change the constitution or shut down La Prensa.

If you remember the big senate race that was to be 6 years ago was the Clinton -Juliani race that never happened. Juliani got prostate cancer and pulled out and the republican candidate Rick Lazio was a joke.

Now this intended race will happen except this time for much bigger stakes.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I read the article Today

Well!!! I guess I must know a little bit about the Industry.
    Here's Todays END article http://www.elnuevodiario.com.ni/2007...economia/54588

And La Prensa

http://www-usa.laprensa.com.ni/archi...s/205214.shtml

They both support my comments :-o.

Then again maybe Dr. Phil and Toni Solo know more then I

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman

Sidebar

Blog Entries

The US did pass a luxury tax that almost killed the US yacht industry before they wised up and repealed it.

Default the liberals....

yea, let's punish those rich yacht owners. oops, we forgot, there are average people making them that had (past tense) jobs.

who was the president that signed that into law?

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Hey

Hey, and don't forget Prohibition, that was my favorite... When about 80% of all the Jones County corn crop wound up in a bottle going to market...So my 'ole Farmer Grand Dad told me...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: the liberals....

Quote Originally Posted by jimrichard
    yea, let's punish those rich yacht owners. oops, we forgot, there are average people making them that had (past tense) jobs.

who was the president that signed that into law?
    JR...I was wondering the same thing and I am pretty sure it was Clinton. Whoever it was, it destroyed a number of companies and lost plenty of jobs.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Default why can't the sandinistas

complain to the democratistas and the clintonistas that they are trying to hurt the working man. they may be muy sympatico?

the libs don't realize the power to tax is the power to destroy.