Thread: Come To Jesus Time Arrives at Finca Linda Flor

Default Come To Jesus Time Arrives at Finca Linda Flor

So, yesterday we set up a line to butcher some chickens.

My big gas camp stove (two big burners, you've seen them, show up seasonally at Costco), heated the water for dunking the bird, and I had a long shaft thermometer to get it just right.

We brought down some of those cones for immobilizing the chickens while you cut their throats, fast and easy, blood drains into a bucket.

Cut the head off, leave the feet as a handle for the dunking, cut the feet off, and into the plucker.

The chicken plucker was a source of amazement to everyone, including me.
    Well built, direct from China for less than $300 with shipping, it exceeded expectations.
    A completely plucked chicken in 30 seconds. I'd watched the videos on You-Tube.
    Plucking is probably the most time consuming part of the chicken butchering process.

We had an ice chest filled with iced down water + ice to put the birds in after they were gutted, AND special shrink wrap plastic bags to package the chickens for the freezer. It all went beautifully.

We only did ten birds as a trial.
    The plucker made all the difference.
    We could have gone all day, just would have needed more ice.

The only problem?
    I can buy very nice chicken at La Colonia for less than I am paying in concentrado, much less the aggravation of feeding them every day and cleaning up after them.
    I can buy good chicken at Pali for way less.
    And when I'm not here, I have to pay someone to feed them.

Then, we lost 13 when someone climbed over a wall and did some San Francisco style shopping.
    I got lazy and was not locking the chickens up every night.
    And there is always some additional,, probably inevitable,, "shrinkage". I do count them every night now when they are on their roosts now.

The same is true of the pigs, in terms of the numbers that describe profitability (or more accurately, lack thereof ).

But, I do really like the eggs we get here, tasty with golden yolks. I like the chicken too. And the pork. And the self sufficiency. Growing my own food.

So,, what's the solution? I'd like to spend some time traveling around the north. A nice motorcycle, perhaps. I could bring something in with my exoneration. See the Corn Islands,, the Pearl Lagoon.

Shelley is tired of the effort we put into the animals. The pelebuey in particular were a burn out. Great on paper, but impossible to fence. She would like to garden,, enough to eat, but not a major effort. She points out,, we are retired,, we don't have to work like this.

We finally have the place cut back, and all the fences renewed. A lot of money and a lot of work.
    All of that effort diluted our focus.

There would be pasture for 10 cows, and two or three acres of corn (50 - 60 quintales) to feed a pig or two and some chickens,,, a handful of layers and perhaps a dozen to fatten,, and ten acres of coffee.
    Some kind of chicken and pig feeders that I could load up for a couple of days.

My neighbors have sworn off corn and beans as a cash crop, and are moving to coffee.
    If they can't make it, I surely won't.

Coffee is a commodity, and like all commodities subject to price variations.
    But the projection is for demand to increase significantly.

I need a new plan, a new direction.
    The existing one is not working.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Come To Jesus Time Arrives at Finca Linda Flor

Is that the drum pluckers with the rubber bumpers inside?

I think Mel brought in one like that about a decade ago.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Yep Mel had 1. Is not a game changer as labor is free to clean Chickens, the women will do it for free for the guts, feet, head. But they will spend hours screwing with those. I set a few buckets out, tell them to clean my chickens, then they can do whatever they want with what is in the buckets, but not on my time.

I want meat in the freezer, not guts.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    So, yesterday we set up a line to butcher some chickens.

My big gas camp stove (two big burners, you've seen them, show up seasonally at Costco), heated the water for dunking the bird, and I had a long shaft thermometer to get it just right.

We brought down some of those cones for immobilizing the chickens while you cut their throats, fast and easy, blood drains into a bucket.

Cut the head off, leave the feet as a handle for the dunking, cut the feet off, and into the plucker.

The chicken plucker was a source of amazement to everyone, including me.
    Well built, direct from China for less than $300 with shipping, it exceeded expectations.
    A completely plucked chicken in 30 seconds. I'd watched the videos on You-Tube.
    Plucking is probably the most time consuming part of the chicken butchering process.

We had an ice chest filled with iced down water + ice to put the birds in after they were gutted, AND special shrink wrap plastic bags to package the chickens for the freezer. It all went beautifully.

We only did ten birds as a trial.
    The plucker made all the difference.
    We could have gone all day, just would have needed more ice.

The only problem?
    I can buy very nice chicken at La Colonia for less than I am paying in concentrado, much less the aggravation of feeding them every day and cleaning up after them.
    I can buy good chicken at Pali for way less.
    And when I'm not here, I have to pay someone to feed them.

Then, we lost 13 when someone climbed over a wall and did some San Francisco style shopping.
    I got lazy and was not locking the chickens up every night.
    And there is always some additional,, probably inevitable,, "shrinkage". I do count them every night now when they are on their roosts now.

The same is true of the pigs, in terms of the numbers that describe profitability (or more accurately, lack thereof ).

But, I do really like the eggs we get here, tasty with golden yolks. I like the chicken too. And the pork. And the self sufficiency. Growing my own food.

So,, what's the solution? I'd like to spend some time traveling around the north. A nice motorcycle, perhaps. I could bring something in with my exoneration. See the Corn Islands,, the Pearl Lagoon.

Shelley is tired of the effort we put into the animals. The pelebuey in particular were a burn out. Great on paper, but impossible to fence. She would like to garden,, enough to eat, but not a major effort. She points out,, we are retired,, we don't have to work like this.

We finally have the place cut back, and all the fences renewed. A lot of money and a lot of work.
    All of that effort diluted our focus.

There would be pasture for 10 cows, and two or three acres of corn (50 - 60 quintales) to feed a pig or two and some chickens,,, a handful of layers and perhaps a dozen to fatten,, and ten acres of coffee.
    Some kind of chicken and pig feeders that I could load up for a couple of days.

My neighbors have sworn off corn and beans as a cash crop, and are moving to coffee.
    If they can't make it, I surely won't.

Coffee is a commodity, and like all commodities subject to price variations.
    But the projection is for demand to increase significantly.

I need a new plan, a new direction.
    The existing one is not working.
    Open a garment factory, you will love it. It is very easy. Lots of people cooperate freely and all put forth a lot of effort. Tons of money to be made, especially when the Chinese or the Viet's, not to mention the Paki's, get testy. The Nica's have a fine eye for doing quality work and being reliable in terms of showing up day in and day out for work. Also, the government will be right there with you the whole way, helping mind you. Helping relieve you of all those employer obligation fees and such. Plus it is indoors. What could possibly go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Is that the drum pluckers with the rubber bumpers inside?

I think Mel brought in one like that about a decade ago.

Yes, truly amazing.
    Everyone took turns throwing in a chicken and watching the feathers fly.

I always think that the solution to my problems is more infrastructure,, and to a certain extent, it's true.
    But, there is no way that i can compete with Tip Top.

Cargil owns them so they can price concentrado anywhere they please.
    Before the road was paved, there was some opportunity for a small producer.
    One of the guys working for me had something like that going.

Now you are competing with the Tip Top truck that makes it up the hill.
    There are more people up here,, and more money than in the past thanks to the tobacco boom in Condega.

If you added value,, Rosti-pollo on the weekends, maybe, or had a restaurant.

But the focus is my own meat with as little grief as possible. That means, buying a feeder every three months from someone reputable. Don't even deal with the sow and the boar.

On the chickens, the layers will have their own space,, a generous area. The area where I was keeping the sow through her parto will go to the meat chickens. I have another area where I can keep the really young ones until they can compete with the bigger chickens. The freezer holds a LOT of shrink wrapped chickens, and we have fresh for a few days after we butcher

So, my own home grown eggs, chicken and pork,, but forget trying to make a nickel.
    More time drinking a beer and enjoying my beautiful view and (mostly) bug free perfect weather.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RGV AG View Post
    Open a garment factory, you will love it. It is very easy. Lots of people cooperate freely and all put forth a lot of effort. Tons of money to be made, especially when the Chinese or the Viet's, not to mention the Paki's, get testy. The Nica's have a fine eye for doing quality work and being reliable in terms of showing up day in and day out for work. Also, the government will be right there with you the whole way, helping mind you. Helping relieve you of all those employer obligation fees and such. Plus it is indoors. What could possibly go wrong?

I detect..... a hint of sarcasm..
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??