Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In Praise of Harbor Freight Alarms

Default In Praise of Harbor Freight Alarms

One of the best things we have going for us here is the alarm system.

Based on the inexpensive alarm sets available at Harbor Freight for $10 (when they go on special,, which is frequently), I'm able to cover a lot of area for a small amount of money.

I credit the alarms with eliminating the night visitors I used to have, people who would pass close to the farm looking for something to pick up. The shovel, hoe,, whatever I left outside. The alarm senders sense their presence anywhere close to the house,, and the receivers sound a piercing alarm.

When modified as I describe, the senders have a range of 500 feet Although originally purposed as driveway alarms, they can also be modified to "look" at a 135 degree swath by removing the lens cover.
    See pics below

Being battery powered, they can go anywhere. I always have a set with me when I drive down.
    I point the sender at my hotel door when I go down for the night.

They are easy to modify to run on either AC, or a 12 V battery.
    The sender, usually powered by a 9V battery,, takes up to 15V from a wall wart.
    The receiver has a built in receptacle that accepts a 6V DC wall wart output.
    It's a standard that I've found on every DC wall wart so far.

With the simple addition of a 9V wall wart for the sender, and a 6 volt wall wart for the receiver, you avoid battery replacement -which in Nicaragua,, especially in the case of 9V batteries, becomes an expense.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: In Praise of Harbor Freight Alarms

The alarms are cheap and easy, the issue is when they go off and your machete skills.

JW & I have used these around our houses for years.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

We had the ones from Radio Shack that have a signal that goes off in the house, not outside, you could set a different signal for each alarm so you knew where it was coming from. I been meaning to go to Harbor Freight and get some of these.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

and Pirate, you are the one who tells crippled old ladies to move to low-crime Esteli. Did you tell her to stock up on burglar alarms, did you tell her machetes come dull and you have to sharpen them?

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    and Pirate, you are the one who tells crippled old ladies to move to low-crime Esteli. Did you tell her to stock up on burglar alarms, did you tell her machetes come dull and you have to sharpen them?

Well,, I only suggested that Estelí might be a better choice than Managua.
    She seems bound and determined to sample the 3rd world before she dies.

Arielka is helping a Canadian couple,, same-O, want to just sell their house and move to Nicaragua.
    Can't be bothered to visit first.

Another Canadian couple is leaving in September. Maybe four years here.
    Nicaragua seems to still want expats,, otherwise why would the residencies be processed so quickly ?

We see other possibilities as we travel,, but maybe it's because the grass is always greener.
    Guatemala close to Copan; Siguatepeque in Honduras.

Who knows ??
    We're here now.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    Arielka is helping a Canadian couple,, same-O, want to just sell their house and move to Nicaragua.
    Can't be bothered to visit first.
    These people (all of them regardless of their public narrative) have other issues. Moving to a 3rd world country on a whim is just another issue or a result of those issues.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

I am amazed daily seeing people saying they are moving to Nica. Over the years I have have had 100s contact me, I think 2 or 3 actually came, I talked may out of it that were going to get in bad, like the couple wanting to buy an Island, they were about to send $$. Expats always seem to want more Expats and blow sunshine up peoples asses to get them there, you see it on all expat pages of any Country.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    Somehow it gets glossed over, Chain Link, Alarms, Night Lights, Dogs, etc..... Come on down is great here.....
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Somehow it gets glossed over, Chain Link, Alarms, Night Lights, Dogs, etc..... Come on down is great here.....

There is this new FuckleChuck on Da Fazebook - Garry Mountain

Posts album after album (Google) how he has dropped all his meds, lives unencumbered and free, can beat with the water outages and power outages with a tank here and a generator there.

I give him 18 month to 2 yrs before he is mugged, broken into, or has health issues that can't be resolved in country.

There are reasons expats leave before year 5 in (what I believe to be true) 4 out of 5 cases.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    These people (all of them regardless of their public narrative) have other issues. Moving to a 3rd world country on a whim is just another issue or a result of those issues.
    I am living proof of that.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Posts album after album (Google) how he has dropped all his meds, lives unencumbered and free, can beat with the water outages and power outages with a tank here and a generator there.

I give him 18 month to 2 yrs before he is mugged, broken into, or has health issues that can't be resolved in country.

There are reasons expats leave before year 5 in (what I believe to be true) 4 out of 5 cases.
    Guy actually been there a bit, in a few different areas, think he was in RAAS for a bit.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

A guy showed up on El Bluff 1 day, only 2 Gringos there, me and Larry who was a Shrimp boat captain that came and never left (had been huge Shrimp operation there in 80s).

This guy had some little dog with him and came to the Hotel where I lived, The Woman owner asked me what I thought, I had listened to his story, sounded off to me as it had to her. Guy is in his 70s. He rented a house and about a month in was a shooting in front of it, he got robbed weekly but that was his stupidity.

So he ups and moves to Bluefields, rents a place in a decent area, nice house, they kidnapped his dog, 2 or 3 or 4 times, he would offer $500 reward so as soon as he got the dog back it would be gone again. I think he ended up making dead there.

Guy was well educated you could tell, but not 3rd World way...
    Ernie K Doe

But there ARE quite a few who do stay.
    This is not a country for young people, or for poor people.
    They should leave, go the US, make their fortune, and return with a nest egg like so many others have.

I still believe that if you are willing to work,, there is a future for you in the US.
    So many no longer have any work ethic at all. Which leaves opportunities for someone who is willing to hustle.

But, Nicaragua, a lot tougher. Without a family, or a Sandi connection,, you don't have much of a future.
    You can go to school cheaply, even Saturdays or Sundays,, and get a degree in . . . . let's say,,, Business Administration. Costs almost nothing.

You then work for a bank, or someone similar for $350-400 month.
    A teacher makes the same,, a nurse a few dollars more.

But the US:
    The plan I laboriously put together for Krisnia was a year learning English really well, and getting her paperwork in order. Then, two years at Pima college for a certificate as a surgical tech. A job in high demand, pays $35K in Arizona, a low wage state. Bi-lingual a huge plus in Arizona.

But, competent and amable techs are identified by the surgeons and hired as First Assists. This is a big leap up the food chain,, the surgeon's right hand, doing everything from interviewing patients and briefing them on their upcoming surgery, to closing up the patient. It pays well, because for a surgeon,, it's all about numbers. He wants to meet you,, shake your hand before the surgery, and maybe peek in afterwards to make sure that you are still alive.
    Anything more is a distraction that someone else can handle better

If she wants more, she could join the National Guard in Tucson, do her six months, one weekend a month, plus two weeks in the summer, and immediately quality for the GI bill. As a trained medical professional,, she has priority to enroll in a nursing school,, with two years under her belt she has three more to a BS in nursing. A couple more years and she is a US citizen, kiss the green card goodbye.

With her previous surgical experience she walks into an OR nurse job, high stress, but much better money than the "floor", and again high demand.

A couple of years of experience, and if she chooses, she can now start working "contracts", 13 week commitments.

Two a year, and she has six months free to do . . . . . whatever.
    Return to Nicaragua for six months,, see the world, whatever.

But, it was not to be.

Blog Entries

Lots stay cause they can't leave. Costa Rica is best to watch expat pgs, bought way too high and now cannot sell. They sink there money into a place, and now are stuck...

So they blow sunshine into people wanting to go.
    Last edited by cookshow; 07-13-2021 at 11:48 AM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Guy actually been there a bit, in a few different areas, think he was in RAAS for a bit.

OK - He has some more realistic words in text he pins under his sunshine and lolly pops top level posts - And he seems to still be in Neuvo Segovia.

Blog Entries

Think is in Matagalpa now.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I came across him on FB a long while back and thought he was soon dead, guy seems to do ok.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I still believe that if you are willing to work,, there is a future for you in the US.
    So many no longer have any work ethic at all. Which leaves opportunities for someone who is willing to hustle.
    You don't even have to hassle - You just have to "show up" and be willing to learn - Having a workforce that actually wants to be involved in how a product or process is done in a rational way.

Myself I have not "Hustled" over the past 34 years. I just asked the boss to let me deal with the issue to resolve it. Made extra cash on the side when I could. In parallel some savings and some conservative income management, I am able to retire at 55 (if I wanted too )

Our Kids approach in the same way (by design of course) and are getting the same benefits although early in their career cycles.

Both here, and where the boys work, people "just don't show up" either physically or mantally and then blame their failures on the man or the system.

Blog Entries

I "retired" at 38, I had hustled 300+ days a year on the road, 15 hour days lot of that, last 5yrs or so got in a niche market and pretty much such did nothing, I had become an "expert", and I was a dumb ass to not hang on another 5, big per diem, was a good gig, but I had all I wanted.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

In 1998 I had 3 friends die, 52, 54, 56, I was 30. That made me hustle, all were talking about retiring and all had the assets. I did not want to die without living, all those guys lived great lives but, then it was done.

It really messed up my head, I worked like crazy, I whored out to companies that I would never have worked for. Last 5 yrs was cake and pulling big money with a good company, somehow I had become an "expert", women, booze, living on beaches, a bit of work, it was nice..
    Ernie K Doe

But there ARE quite a few who do stay.
    This is not a country for young people, or for poor people.
    They should leave, go the US, make their fortune, and return with a nest egg like so many others have.
    I don't know about that, rarely do I disagree with you, but I do on this. I think Nicaragua is an exceptional place to be a young person. One thing Nicaragua has, and even today does, is boundless opportunities if you are willing to hustle, put in the time, and be dedicated. Nicaragua, though, is also filled with a huge number of people, lets call them young folks, that think they can tread through school and then a degree of some kind and they will come out to find a decent job. There might be a few of those types of situation, but not many and the odds are probably better of winning the lottery than getting a good job with a basic education, say just a college degree, in Nicaragua.

One of my employees brother, young guy about 20 something went to work at one of the drinking booths at the Oriental. He did that for a while and learned. He ended up with his own place, that he incorporated women into and in like 2 year he was rolling in big money, he had like 4 of those places. He had a paid off nice house in a decent reparto/condominio, a couple of cars etc. Then he got involved with some Koreans in importing condemned or totaled cars out of Korea or something, that did not end well. I know several youngish people that have done pretty well over the years, they just had spirit and ambition.

Nicaragua is great for being a place you can start a small business with little or no capital. There is not the government regulations, at least not enforced, to cause tons of obstacle. The thing about Nicaragua is one has to hustle and hustle and take care of oneself. Nobody will look out for you in Nicaragua, you have to take care of yourself. I have known ladies with lunch rooms in the Zona Francas that work 7 to 9 hours a day, call it 5.5 days a week, and were taking home the equivalent of about $250 to $300 USD a week. They hustled and were inventive.

Blog Entries

I am a curious sort of person, so I often will sit and watch some stupid shit for hours.

Was telling a buddy in State about a street parking guy I would watch, an orange vest and a whistle, next day he has his own biz, and doing well.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

where else can you get a start for $5..
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had a chat with a friend in AZ. I explained to him that the key to success in the contemporary US is to know that your boss is your enemy. Don't tell him that, don't walk around with a poor boy attitude, just do what you need to do until you can start your own business. Rather than wait for the layoff, plant closing, corporate merger, recession, pandemic, watching idiots get promoted because "hirer-up wants to see some dark faces", leave on your own terms. Like they say in Nic. "es un negocio".

The smartest people I knew in the public utility I worked in were running a business out of their cell phones on company time.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Blog Entries

Right now all employers are screaming no one wants to work, Hell no not $10hr. You cannot come close to living on that. Tent cities all over America right now. We are in some interesting times.....
    Ernie K Doe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast