Thread: Pobrecito Gaylord !

Default Pobrecito Gaylord !

Today was the day poor Gaylord lost his balls.
    A simple procedure when you are a chanchito but much more difficult when you weigh 500 pounds and have no interest in changing your sexual identity.

We had a sedative,, but not enough according to the dosage instructions. We have some other stuff,, but it has to be administered intravenously,, something Shelley was not interested in attempting.

The "doctor" who arrived to do the surgery was my age,, but not as "active" and pretty shakey . Luckily, we had Enrique, me, Cristian, to tie his feet and get him on his back. Shelley was supposed to take pictures,, but wound up doing the actual surgery. I had a rope on one side, and my foot on this side, Enrique and Cristian were on the feet side, trying to keep him immobilized.

The sedative definitely helped slow him down,, and initially he didn't seem to have any pain. Only when his balls were squeezed through the too small incision. Following the doctor's instruction, as to incision size, she realized that this was not going to work,, and enlarged the incision. The second one was easier.

Did I mention that the doctor showed up with a kitchen paring knife ? And nothing else ? We thought that he would bring the necessary needle and suture to sew poor Gaylord up,, but nada.

Shelley found a scalpel, finished the work with that. The needle was too small,, her supplies are for humans, that skin and sack is really thick. She wound up stapling the incision closed,, but we really needed bigger staples. By the time we walked Gaylord back to his "house", about 500 meters, all the staples had pulled out and he was losing a bit of blood.

I checked on his about four hours later, and he had pushed his ball sack against the concrete wall where he sleeps, ostensibly to relieve the pain. The sedative had worn off, and he was clearly suffering. I managed to get a clean towel between his butt and the cement wall, to cover the wound,, and gave him most of the beer I had. He had no fever, which surprised me.

Gaylord really likes beer. We had left water and food, and he had taken some water. The bleeding had stopped. He had dozed off by the time I was leaving. If he's up tomorrow, I have some oxycodone I can grind up and put in some beer for him. Searching for the correct dosage for a 500 lb boar returned:

>>>>>>It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search

He had quite a bit of rope burn, and that as well as the incision and surrounding area was sprayed heavily with an antibacterial, antiparasito, insect repellent, that also helps the skin scab over and heal. My biggest fear is that some insects find their way into the wound and lay eggs. I've used that spray on some cuts myself,, it works but has a bright purple dye that does not wash off.

I had loaded Gaylord up with tetracycline and an anti inflammatory (dexametasona), and I'll give him another shot tomorrow, plus I'm going to shoot him up with Ivermectina just in case. The ivermectina has to be administered subcutaneously, something that requires a bit of finesse. He might not have much patience for that.

I'm sorry that there aren't more pics,, but as I mentioned,, Shelley wound up doing the surgery so there was no one to take pictures. The rest of were occupied keeping Gaylord immobilized. The enlarged shot gives you an idea of his size
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pobrecito Gaylord !

I had a big Boar, never again. Load him with antibiotics....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Check fever in morning. The big ones do not do well.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Ok,, will do.

Blog Entries

Mine was near fatality, took about 2 weeks before was finally in the clear, first few days I was sure he was a goner, it had been a rough operation and he was a wild ass pig anyway. I had some big guys holding him down and it was not enough.
    Ernie K Doe

Gaylord is fine,, bleeding stopped.

I got him to take some warm food and most of a beer. My plan was to grind up a 20 mg oxycodone and work it into his food, but the pills are plasticized because the druggies used to grind them and sniff the powder, still I got most of the pieces in him.

He has no fever, his eyes are clear and he's responsive.
    He tried to get up a couple of times,, but the pain is obviously severe. It's just as well he stays immobile for another day.

I managed to get some more antibiotic spray onto the area,, more for the bug repellent effect. Whether it stings or burns,, or he just associates it with his surgery,, I don't know. He's not his usual talkative self.

Blog Entries

Now what do you do with him, Butchering a 500# pig is an all day deal, sell him and be done.

I would do 200# pigs and done by noon. Big pig was daylight to dark. No Fun....
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Having a Boar is one of those things that makes sense but doesn't make sense. You need 1 but.....
    Ernie K Doe

The campesinos here just rub salt and diesel fuel into the incision when castrating pigs, seems to work fine. Keeps the flies out of the wound.

Blog Entries

we use creolina
    Ernie K Doe

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Now what do you do with him, Butchering a 500# pig is an all day deal, sell him and be done.

I would do 200# pigs and done by noon. Big pig was daylight to dark. No Fun....
    Need to buy another freezer.

Blog Entries

I would sell him.

That big 1 I did was a disaster from beginning to end. We stabbed him, barely daylight and are covered in blood, blowing everywhere, he ain't going down. Had an axe by the firewood pile I grabbed in and hit between the eyes with the back of that, still not going down, it got ugly.

I try to treat my animals with respect so that 1 kind hurt me, I could have shot him, and should have.

Too much work and unless you got someone that knows chicharrons and lard you will loose a pile of money.

250# max for me, that big pig shit I don't need to see again.
    Last edited by cookshow; 07-21-2021 at 08:33 PM.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Then we have to call more guys to get him up on the table. Was on and on problems all day long because of the size, Could not fry all the chicharron, 1 thing after another. I will never try that again. Worked harder that day than in years and it was a mess.
    Ernie K Doe

Gaylord update.

He came out of it fine,, he was up yesterday afternoon, ate all his food, drank a couple gallons of water.

I put him down for the night with another 20mg of oxycodone, and this morning he was up,, wanted to leave his casa and go do his business. He's a very refined pig, doesn't crap in his house. He grazed for a while, came back, I had a special breakfast warmed up for him, beans with some bacon,, that included another 20mg of pain killer. I brought him some fresh water at noon,, he got up, drank it, and went back to sleep.

All the inflammation is down, that steroid, he had no fever, clear eyes, vocalizing.

I sold Violeta this afternoon,, not a great price,, but I'm just not up to butchering her right now.

Gaylord? I don't know. We'll see when he's ready. I did butcher the equivalent once, I'll see if I can find a picture of Nicolas. I bought Nicolas just about the time Hugo Chavez died. He was castrated late in life,, got huge.

We had a lot of people, it was like a fiesta, frying chitlins, rendering the lard.
    He had a full 4 inches of lard around most of him.

I remember him being good eating.

I'm boiling a chicken carcass for Gaylord's dinner.

I switched Gaylord's antibiotic to azith, and his anti inflammatory to diclofenaco.

Diclofenaco has an analgésico effect , and it's used a lot in Nicaragua as a pain reliever.

I have neither in injectable form, and it's unlikely i can find it in Condega.

His swelling is worse, and while the external incisión looks ok,, there could be some internal blood loss.

He's not uncomfortable, still eating and drinking.

We're going to MGA next week,, I'm going to look for a veterenary supply outlet.

Maybe the mercado oriental.

This experience showed us how ill prepared we are.
    We have a lot of human stuff,, but little for animals.

Blog Entries

Big Pigs are hard.....
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Took about 2 weeks to get my big 1 straight, it was touch and go first week.
    Ernie K Doe

Gaylord's much better, less inflammation. , eating good. He went down to the lake at first light and covered himself with mud. I may have been overding the oxy. Still, keeping him inactive was important too.

The incisión closed, so I guess its ok, not standard practice for recovering surgery patients, but I noticed he had no insects when I went down to feed him.

Good helps those who help themselves.