Thread: Change in Plans

Default Change in Plans

So, the pigs and the chickens were a lot of work, and I didn't make any money.

I'm slow, but that suggests that some other option might be in order.

I'm going to reduce the chicken population to about 5 or 6 layers, and try to produce enough meat for our needs.

Maybe an incubator run of 24 every three weeks.
    More space, less competition for food, faster growth. Separate space for layers and "broilers"
    Just enough to keep us in chicken plus a bit more.

I have three piglets left, Chuck and Nancy, and AOK. AOK is really dumb, and she is really ugly.
    I have a buyer this week coming to take her off my hands.
    He wanted Chuck too, but pigs are very social and I would feel bad leaving Nancy with no company.

Besides, two pigs are really no more work than one.

That just leaves Gaylord,, who is no trouble at all, indeed a pleasant companion to drink beer with in the afternoons; and the three horses who totally take care of themselves.

I have quite a bit of gently sloping hillside, in pines, that would make a half dozen large view lots. If I sold a building lot every year, I would make more than I could ever make with pigs and chickens. This would be a cheap place to retire to, nothing to do,, true,,other than a lot of farm to walk about,, but that is what retirement means to some people.

We now have disnorte power available (I'm not hooked up,, but will probably bow to the inevitable,, it makes more sense to buy a little power from Disnorte than invest in wind and hydro). Disnorte is iffy here, the community was without power from late Fri night to mid Saturday afternoon. It's a regular thing.

I brought down a complete 1 KW wind generator setup this last trip. It's still in the shipping crate.

More solar would be the cheapest alternative, more solar looking to the east for earlier morning charge, and to the south for the winter sun. If I could sell Disnorte my excess during the afternoon, and buy back a bit at night,,, that would be the absolute ideal. Solar panels are dirt cheap right now, and I know solar

Mostly what I am looking to do is reduce my work burden so I could travel a bit more.
    There is a lot of Nicaragua that I haven't seen yet.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Change in Plans

What i learned the hard way, less is more....
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Might I also add my Mothers favorite saying......."Too soon old, too late smart"
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

KWP, it's high time to switch to raising shmoos.
    * They reproduce asexually and are incredibly prolific, multiplying faster than rabbits. They require no sustenance other than air.
    * Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself—either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.
    * They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled, grade-A), and butter—no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timbers, depending on how thick one slices them.
    * They have no bones, so there's absolutely no waste. Their eyes make the best suspender buttons, and their whiskers make perfect toothpicks. In short, they are simply the perfect ideal of a subsistence agricultural herd animal.
    * Naturally gentle, they require minimal care and are ideal playmates for young children. The frolicking of shmoos is so entertaining (such as their staged "shmoosical comedies") that people no longer feel the need to watch television or go to the movies.