Thread: The Covid Plan for Survival

Default The Covid Plan for Survival

Everyone should have a Covid plan.

1. Know the symptoms
    2. Have the medication on hand
    3. Someone to call

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Covid Plan for Survival

1. The symptoms with the newer variants are a problem because they’re so common and, frenkly, rather mild, more like a bad cold or the flu.
    Google: “Most infected people will develop mild to moderate illness and recover without hospitalization.”
    NYT: ““The symptoms we are seeing now are much more commonly identified with the common cold. … people with a cough, but also more with runny nose and sneezing. Headaches and sore throat are other top complaints . Fever and loss of taste and smell are being reported to a lesser degree.” “The Delta variant is nearly twice as contagious as prior variants ... It replicates rapidly in the body, and people carry large amounts of the virus in their nose and throat.”
    So you may be asymptomatic, but then get tested and they won’t let you board the plane.

2. We’ve got all the proven oral therapeutics on hand: vitamins C, D, B. I occasionally mega-dose with C, but regularly take D + zinc, occasionally with a low dosage of chloroquine. Because of more frequent travel I pop ivermectin once a week. Should unambiguous symptoms hit we’ll take azithromycin + the pirate’s recommended steroid dexamethasone, which is something of a pepper-upper. I’m not a never-vaxxer, but I don’t like that it’s experimental, lacking FDA approval. But if it gets me into CR insurance-free and doesn’t kill me, I may bite.

3. Someone to call: Does God count? Pirate, you wrote a beautiful obit for Laura Lewen of Esteli-Tennessee. At first it struck me as sad that she died alone. But then it seemed fundamentally right: if there is one moment in all lives when we’re truly alone, it’s death. You alone will take that final journey. But to be caught in a bureaucratic vortex that is a modern hospital full of strangers poking you, that would be hell. Then, yes, call a loved one, though they’ll be unable to help you escape. Torture, even well-intended, is just a simple fact of modern life.

Blog Entries

......and modern death.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

"But to be caught in a bureaucratic vortex that is a modern hospital full of strangers poking you, that would be hell."

Laura spent some time in the Estelí hospital with dengue a couple of years back.
    It was a bad experience. It's understandable she didn't want to repeat it.

Trying to reconstruct her last days and hours with Suzy, her BF, put her death sometime on Sunday.
    Suzy found her on Monday. They had been texting, and she had some contact with Laura on Saturday.
    Suzy was in no shape to go into any detail. She'd had covid earlier this year and had recovered.

Laura received a text from me on Saturday, but did not reply. Saturday was her Sabbath, she kept it religiously.
    We (Suzy and me) agreed that she probably died sometime on Sunday.

Laura had asthma. a serious comorbidity.
    She was obese but dropping weight. She wasn't always that way (see pic at Suzy's wedding).

Does all this matter?
    It does as a means of gaining some understanding of how the virus progresses.

Attached Images Attached Images

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

May the Gods spare me of dying with a bunch of creaming women in the room!

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    May the Gods spare me of dying with a bunch of creaming women in the room!

A Freudian slip,, THAT happy to see you go ?

Blog Entries

You right, freudian slip....

Gritonas drive me nuts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    A Freudian slip,, THAT happy to see you go ?

Blog Entries

Make a quick trip the the campo to deliver medicine and food and dog food. Neighbors in bad shape. Father-in-law in hospital on O2 but no diagnosis. Probably doesn't matter, all you can do is treat the symptoms and assume everybody is contagious. Man in his 30s hasn't got out of bed since Sunday, feverish. They have more fear of the local clinic than they do of covid, although I have been to the clinic and it is unbelievably big and modern for a small country town. Wife up and semi-functional, MIL with comorbidities up and walking around. I got them saldo and paid their electric bill online last night. Wife cooked a big pot of soup for them. They had gotten behind so disnorte cut them off, kinda pity when you are sick in the campo with rain and only a moto for transport. They called this morning and disnorte said they would be reconnecting them today but I loaned them my Ryobi shop light just in case.

Saw neighbor in town today for the first time in a couple weeks, she ran in house as we passed by. She survived covid but isn't going out. Wife talks to her by phone.

Last week or 2 I have been buying extra food, medicine, and vitamins. I want to be fully stocked till at least after the elections, maybe longer because a covid spike takes 4 or 5 months come back down. Let's say it started in July, then it will be done
    december, just in time for the Xmas spike.

Blog Entries

I would be stockpiling Meds too. After 2018 Meds got tight, so can not imagine now, Crazy Ortegas may shut down the Country manana, with them there is no telling.

Far as food, what got crazy in 2018 was sugar, on the Coast it was like Gold, a friend had told me to be a buyer early on and I listened. 1 day I was by his little beer joint as I would always store my purchases there in his bodega as I shopped so I was not toting ton of stuff around and it was next to the panga wharf I used. I usually walk in and just go put my stuff in and walk out, that day it was locked, he saw me and was laughed, motioned give me a minute as he was conducting Biz. He speaks perfect English says "wait till you see this", opens the door and is jammed with beer, 10x what he usually keeps on hand, Quintal sugar sacks stacked to the ceiling.

He was the last place in Bluefields to run out of beer, he was selling hot cases to other bars at retail price, and he was right about the sugar. He made a Killing.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

We stocked up a little.
    We had 20+ pounds of newly slaughtered chicken in the freezer so couldn't take advantage of the conos from the US at La Colonia for 40 cords/pound. Leg and thigh for 32 if you buy ten pounds.

I'm going to get some (more) rice and sugar.
    New beans will be available in a month. Will be interesting to see where the price goes.
    We usually buy a quintal of dried beans, put those tablets in the bin to kill the bugs.

The new beans are nice while they are available.
    They cook up fast.

We have a lot of sweet corn coming on line,, we though that we might try canning some of it.
    We have the Mason jars and bought some new lids.
    So, I'll survive Covid and die of Botulism.

La Colonia DOES have fresh cream, same brand as PriceSmart.
    Just had to know where to look.

We got a big bag of Ghirardelli chocolate chips, some colored marshmallows, sprinkles,, maraschino cherries
    We'll get tired of this eventually. But, it's fun now and the ice cream IS really good.
    The bread has become routine, like doing the dishes. Or a load of wash.

TP ??
    Well,, we should have bought more (see pic).
    But, we can always go Afghani,, some sand and your left hand.
    I'd get some of that fine, sifted sand they use for plastering. Less surprises.
    A cubic meter should do it.

My latest waste of time was hooking up an AC unit.
    We really don't need cool,, but it amazingly dries out the air.
    It just feels so much more comfortable and we can keep the house shut up = less dirt.
    We have excess power if it doesn't rain, from 10AM to 3PM, costs nothing to run.

Plus,, the condensate I can filter and use in my batteries.
    It sucks a quart an hour out of the air, drops the relative humidity 20 points.

Putting some meds aside is a good idea.

Blog Entries

Sand!?....Jesus...just save your Sears Roebuck catalogs....they worked just fine on the farm....outhouse required though.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

TP? Sand? Fuggetabout'em. A dexterous left hand, while pouring water steadily with the right from a cup dipped into the bucket beside the throne. A squirt of liquid soap and voila, Pepé No Pew. Of course, all is cleaner, quicker if, instead of the throne, you squat over a hole; the large intestine & sphincter behave better.

If one must go to the tiny shack where Charlotte spins her messages beneath you ass, dried corn cobs do the trick (avoid a ream job). Leave a few kernels on the cob and come Spring when you spread the offal cobs, up pop sprouts.

My MIL has been effectively paralyzed for 3+yrs (Parkinson's). She sits n a wheelchair or rocker, get stood up occasionally, wears adult diapers and is laid in bed to sleep. We pay ca. $100/mo for helpers/'nurses' who take good care of her. Around her swirls Covid. Nearly all in that household have gone thru lengthy battles with it, losing then recovering taste & smell. She remains unaffected by it. If anything counts as a comorbidity, you'd think paralysis in old age does. Perhaps it's her meds, since she never got the jab. Or she's just plain, salt-of-the-earth Nica tough. There will be natural (unvaccinated) survivors - around the globe.

"TP? Sand? Fuggetabout'em. A dexterous left hand, while pouring water steadily with the right from a cup dipped into the bucket beside the throne. A squirt of liquid soap and voila, Pepé No Pew. Of course, all is cleaner, quicker if, instead of the throne, you squat over a hole; the large intestine & sphincter behave better."

You must have known Fyl.
    His composting toilet did not permit urine nor TP, just the real thing.

He never spoke about the "paperwork", simply stated:
    "The majority of the world does not use TP"
    and left it up to your imagination.

He urinated in the garden, ---------capture that urea for the Choi Bok. Or is it Bok Choi ?

When I was in Europe in the early 60's, I was fascinated by the variations in waste disposal between the countries. The French had the hole in the floor, but were big on bidets, a functional combination. I've never understood why bidets never caught on is the US,, we have the money.
    The French hole was often augmented with foot rests, corrugated, and slightly angled, to maintain your balance, and improve your aim.
    Generally part of the shower,, maybe the genesis of >>> Shit, Shower, Shave

The German toilet had a elevated platform, so the result could be examined and pondered.
    But, it flushed well.

I could try to tie this into the Enlightenment and the Reformation, but the post is already too long, and I have to go feed Chuck and Nancy.

The Italian toilet was more conventional, more like what we see in the US, but of course,, being Italian,, it didn't flush.

Blog Entries

One year I heard a fluttering noise in our latrina. Bats had built a nest in the hole. I had to burn them out, we had a party coming up. Imagine the butt-load of pena if a guest got bit on the ass in our latrine!

Several priests have died and the church is getting serious about covid. Grandkid's Catholic school has sent them home again. Protestants are still having big cultos and I hear Patriotic days in Sept are going to have big get togethers.

Getting on a regular spray schedule, don't want to get dengue during a pandemia. Last year the little woman had chickengunya, the shit is out there just taking 2nd fiddle to covid.

All flights have returned to CR, plus some new ones-- tourist can spread disease to the far corners of the earth.

Trying to tune out fake news about Afganistan. Nitpickers keep acting like losing a war is supposed to be easy and uncontroversial. Interesting my wife's term for traditional Afgan female garb-- "trapo viejo". at least we don't have to live with news about "femicide" for a while.

Yep, not my election. I plan to sit it our in the garden talking to my dogs.

"Yep, not my election. I plan to sit it our in the garden talking to my dogs."

You should get a pig,, more intelligent, and much better at holding a conversation.

I heard the Catholic Church in Estelí has closed the churches for the time being.
    I don't know about rest of the country.

There were a LOT more people wearing masks when I went through Estelí last week.

This is not promising:

But with the delta variant, the level of virus in infected vaccinated people is “indistinguishable” from the level of virus in the noses and throats of unvaccinated people, Walensky said.

Last edited by KeyWestPirate; 08-21-2021 at 01:52 PM.

Blog Entries

I thinks we got a pandemic going. Friends in campo were visited by Minsa, who did nothing, but they came back 2 days later giving out ivermectin. And then shortly later we got a call from a friend on the other side of town that Minsa was going door to door handing out invermectin. People who were sick were told to take it, the others were told to keep it and take it at the first sign of illness.
    I had bought some for my trip in May but didn't need it but today we bought a little more. Muchacha in the farmacia said it was dangerous so only take it if needed. She advocated taking vitamins.

We have another list of drugs that our doctor relative emailed us, I'll try to get it in writing.

We did dodge 1 bullet. The storm coming up from S. America changed coarse and moved toward Jamaica. It may get stronger before it hits the US Gulf Coast.

Masks back in style, at least in the stores where they can control people. Made my 5th and last stop at Lafise to get my wife's damaged debit card replaced. I think we fell into New Employee Syndrome.
    Other day I swung by MacCormicks to get some junco for my string trimmer-- 4 ventenillas, 3 rubber stamps, and 4 copies of the factura and I was out of there.

" . .People who were sick were told to take it, the others were told to keep it and take it at the first sign of illness.
    I had bought some for my trip in May but didn't need it but today we bought a little more. Muchacha in the farmacia said it was dangerous so only take it if needed. She advocated taking vitamins..."

Vitamins are a great idea,, but don't help much when Covid comes knocking unless you had been taking them earlier. Ivermectin has anti-viral properties, so yes, you have to take it,, like TamiFlu,, at the onset of the infection.

Once you get sick, you want to keep your lungs protected, hence the antibiotic and steroid. The steroid moderates the immune response, minimizing the debris in your lungs that becomes ripe for a bacterial infection. The azith that you already have in your system (if you are following the protocol) keeps you from getting a bacterial pneumonia,, which is what kills most people. There is no time to waste. Laura died within a week of realizing that she had the virus.

True,, there are other modalities, lungs damaged by the virus leading to insufficient oxygen and heart or other organ failure.

The rest, sore throat, splitting headache, muscle aches that keep you pacing the floor, will make you miserable but you get past it. You just think that you are going to die.
    Here you can get carisprodol (soma) for the body aches, and tramadol for the headache, without prescription,

Younger people are dying,, another today , young woman of 22;
    A friend of Arielka, fellow English teacher, only 38

Don Chico, pic,, early 50's
    Eight days sick at home,, then five days in hospital in Somoto.

We were in Managua today,, masks everywhere.
    This could get ugly.

Blog Entries

Ugly and long. Based on other places like CR a covid spike will last 4 to 5 months. And look at the calendar--Patriotic days this year has been expanded to more than 2 days and Xmas is coming up, etc. I think my planned trip to the US via CR in Feb may have been a little premature.

Also hear on the grapevine that illegals are piling up in Nic., Hatianos y venozolanos, begging and hanging out in public. CR and Panama are up to their old tricks of facilitating this traffic northward.

"Also hear on the grapevine that illegals are piling up in Nic., Hatianos y venozolanos, begging and hanging out in public. CR and Panama are up to their old tricks of facilitating this traffic northward"

Lots of africanos in La Cruz, just South of Peñas Blancas, and in Tapachula, México.

I understood Nicaragua was selling them passage for $150 ?
    It seems that if you get this far, $150 is chump change.

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar

"Also hear on the grapevine that illegals are piling up in Nic., Hatianos y venozolanos, begging and hanging out in public. CR and Panama are up to their old tricks of facilitating this traffic northward"

Lots of africanos in La Cruz, just South of Peñas Blancas, and in Tapachula, México.

lots of Haitianos and Africanos visiting the Mercado Oriental,where they are getting ripped off on the dollar exchange rate

Blog Entries

... don't want to get dengue during a pandemia. Last year the little woman had chickengunya, the shit is out there just taking 2nd fiddle to covid.
    Try a two-fer: "Ivermectin has exhibited antiviral activity against a wide range of RNA and some DNA viruses, for example, Zika, dengue, yellow fever, and others." - from the American Journal of Therapeutics: July/August 2021 - Volume 28 - Issue 4 - p e434-e460, "Ivermectin for Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: A Systematic Review, Meta-analysis, and Trial Sequential Analysis to Inform Clinical Guidelines"
    https://journals.lww.com/americanthe...ment_of.7.aspx

At 3 cents per tablet in Leon, with years of a clean bill of health from the WHO (before taken over by the CCP), one can't go wrong. However Google's first search result is: Why You Should Not Use Ivermectin to Treat or Prevent ... from the FDA, which does NOT say because it's too cheap, readily available and highly effective against covid, nor does it say because most of us at FDA & NIH are on Big Pharma's payroll . . .

... splitting headache, muscle aches that keep you pacing the floor, will make you miserable but you get past it. You just think that you are going to die. Here you can get carisprodol (soma) for the body aches, and tramadol for the headache, without prescription,

DeLor Flex contains the muscle relaxant carisoprodol and Aleve (naproxen); it costs about 10 cents per and is very popular in Nica. Tramadol is a CNS antagonist, uses an opioid-like action to separate your mind from the pain; it's surprisingly addictive. I urge you not to use it.
    See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil: be a wise simian

Blog Entries

If they have the money
    FOF going north was robbed of all his closes except what he had on by Sal migracion.

Here is an unadorned statistical analysis on the Covid death rate.

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid

If you have time to get into the weeds. And these are some pretty tall weeds.

Pure data,, form your own opinions,, no

"Mask up, and we'll get through this together"

"Over Here, Over There,
    Be a Swell and take the Jab" as those caissons keep rolling along.

I hate being mushroomed.
    I could fertilize my entire farm with the caca de toro I've been fed the last two years.

So one thing is clear, we don't know the death rate from Covid,,
    like we do know it from SARS, MERS, Ebola, and even influenza.

It's too soon.

But from a look at the data, that Mediterranean diet didn't help the Italians much.
    They would have done better on wurst and cabbage.

Quote Originally Posted by el duende grande View Post
    If they have the money
    FOF going north was robbed of all his closes except what he had on by Sal migracion.

If they have the money

I've often thought about the trip to El Norte, and what it would take to succeed. I've made the trip so many times,, north and south.

1. Dump the mochila. It marks you as a migrante from a mile away.
    A laptop bag for your immediate essentials and one change of clothes.

2. Stay away from other migrants. A clean, well-groomed couple might have the best shot.
    While this last caravan was being busted, a couple could have easily gotten to the next point.
    Know where you are going. A little homework will go a long way when they ask,, "A donde vas?"

3. Take local transport. Colectivos. Stay away from the overnight buses out of Chiapas to Oaxaca. Chiapas is the choke point.
    Tapachula is a free zone, full of people from every country, and they don't seem to be bothered. But they look for migrants coming in from Ciudad Hidalgo and Talisman. More Ciudad Hidalgo. Again, Clean, well groomed, your laptop bag, blend in, belong. If you are young enough, look like a student.

4. Hotel it,, to stay clean, with clean clothes, shorter hair. Plenty of inexpensive hotels, hospedajes; buy new clothes if you need to.

5. Once you are in Oaxaca,, you are through the worst of it. There is very little enforcement on the toll roads to stop you.
    I would still stay on more "local" buses. Tempting to grab an overnight, but you might lose it all.

6. Go west. Stay away from Texas. Cross in Arizona. A longer trip, but less cartel activity, much less immigration enforcement.

This plan will cost more,, and take longer, but you are not paying a coyote so it's probably cheaper.
    At the US border you will need some help,, and some money to make that final jump.

More on that ivermectin overdose sweeping the country:

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/greg...respected-over

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast