Thread: More Covid - I lied

Default More Covid - I lied

"https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/958292?uac=122026BV&faf=1&sso=true&impID=3639481&s rc=mkm_covid_update_210914_MSCPEDIT#vp_4

A long read but worthwhile.

"Krammer: The initial studies that came out that showed that previous infection is about 80%-90% protective against reinfection — we're talking about infection, not disease; protection against disease was higher. Those studies were done mostly in December 2020 or January-February 2021."

Discussion of differences between US and other country vaccines.
    We're only vaccinated against the "spike protein"

"Krammer: I give a lecture on emerging viruses and the two examples that I usually talked about before the epidemic that I found scary were SARS coronavirus and Nipah virus. That was one of the reasons why I jumped onto SARS-CoV-2 research so quickly, because I was actually scared of that virus. But the other virus that I find problematic is Nipah, for a number of reasons. We have seen Nipah virus outbreaks in Bangladesh where there was human-to-human transmission and where it had a respiratory phenotype. Of course, you get very concerned when you see something like that, specifically with a virus that also causes encephalitis and has a case fatality rate, depending on the outbreak, higher than 50%. I have no doubt that the current outbreak in India will be brought under control. But I think it will be good in the future to have a Nipah virus vaccine ready for use if we need it so that like with Ebola, if there is an outbreak and we see human-to-human transmission, we can vaccinate really quickly. Nipah is a virus that has a lot of potential, and with that case fatality rate, it's one of my nightmares."

I don't see the Fat Lady singing anytime soon.
    he might have died of Covid

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: More Covid - I lied

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    "Krammer: I give a lecture on emerging viruses and the two examples that I usually talked about before the epidemic that I found scary were SARS coronavirus and Nipah virus. That was one of the reasons why I jumped onto SARS-CoV-2 research so quickly, because I was actually scared of that virus. But the other virus that I find problematic is Nipah, for a number of reasons. We have seen Nipah virus outbreaks in Bangladesh where there was human-to-human transmission and where it had a respiratory phenotype. Of course, you get very concerned when you see something like that, specifically with a virus that also causes encephalitis and has a case fatality rate, depending on the outbreak, higher than 50%. I have no doubt that the current outbreak in India will be brought under control. But I think it will be good in the future to have a Nipah virus vaccine ready for use if we need it so that like with Ebola, if there is an outbreak and we see human-to-human transmission, we can vaccinate really quickly. Nipah is a virus that has a lot of potential, and with that case fatality rate, it's one of my nightmares."

I don't see the Fat Lady singing anytime soon.
    he might have died of Covid
    YIKES!!!! Scary shit indeed!!