Thread: Drones

Blog Entries

Default Drones

Is it true that drones are illegal in Nicaragua? My wife was telling me about a guy who made a travel video where he had to go through a bunch of paperwork to bring a basic small video drone into Nicaragua. He was filming on Ometepe and lost the drone in the jungle when the signal was broken due to distance or line of sight or something. But I never thought drones would be regulated that strictly. Other than to prevent actual journalism, of course; that I expect.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Drones

I was thinking restricted because of the way I read this...

INAC

But the ever knowledgeable Juano replied with this...

Thats a 2018 Press Release referring you to RESOLUCION No. 34-2014 which is the usual rule that I posted :

That the use of unmanned equipment (drone) in the national territory that operates at an elevation greater than 100 feet in height with 30 horizontal meters of displacement is prohibited, since they expose aviation to danger by becoming an obstacle in space aerial.

We warn the population not to use this equipment to avoid accidents, since we have civil helicopters, military and national and international civil aviation operating throughout the national territory.

Paragraph 2 contradicts paragraph 1 by warning not to use them, however; paragraph 1 gives certain parameter where they are OK to use.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

Yeah right. There is no aviation in Nicaragua. Maybe near Managua, but nowhere else. Here, we can go up 400’ which isn’t much.

100 feet and 30 meters, gotta love Nicameasure. I’m surprised it isn’t 30 varas.

I've heard that aduana looks for them and confiscates them if they find them.
    But, I don't have any personal experience.

I've always wanted one, will probably baring one down eventually.
    There are some really good deals, upscale stuff on BangGood, at killer prices.

Blog Entries

Up until a few yrs ago they were outright Illegal, Customs would "hold" them for you if you were caught bringing 1 in, you could retrieve it on way out and pay a "storage fee" that often exceeded the value of the Drone. A surprising number of Travelers carry them, a cool way to capture your travels, so you would always see lots of ideas online about ways to break them down for transport.

In last few years something changed and I do not have any idea about the details but they are allowed with some sort of restrictions. Lots of the Real Estate people use them, and of course the You Tubers and that sort selling Hype.

Nicaragua is not only COuntry with restrictions on them, seems pretty common.

Over the yrs, when Illegal and not illegal I have seen more than I can count on the Coast, in SJDS they probably need Air Traffic Control for them.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Pinolero De Cepa!! FisherCigarman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    Up until a few yrs ago they were outright Illegal, Customs would "hold" them for you if you were caught bringing 1 in, you could retrieve it on way out and pay a "storage fee" that often exceeded the value of the Drone. A surprising number of Travelers carry them, a cool way to capture your travels, so you would always see lots of ideas online about ways to break them down for transport.

In last few years something changed and I do not have any idea about the details but they are allowed with some sort of restrictions. Lots of the Real Estate people use them, and of course the You Tubers and that sort selling Hype.

Nicaragua is not only COuntry with restrictions on them, seems pretty common.

Over the yrs, when Illegal and not illegal I have seen more than I can count on the Coast, in SJDS they probably need Air Traffic Control for them.
    after the 2018 mess, NO ONE is allowed to have/use drones.
    just prior to the 2018 events, they were on the verge of passing a law where companies in tourism, farming and cattle ranching would be allowed to import them.
    not anymore, same with guns, unless you have a FSLN membership card, you are prohibited from owning a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    Is it true that drones are illegal in Nicaragua? My wife was telling me about a guy who made a travel video where he had to go through a bunch of paperwork to bring a basic small video drone into Nicaragua. He was filming on Ometepe and lost the drone in the jungle when the signal was broken due to distance or line of sight or something. But I never thought drones would be regulated that strictly. Other than to prevent actual journalism, of course; that I expect.
    right now,they are prohibited simply because of political reasons, they were on the verge of being approved for import prior to the 2018 mess.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FisherCigarman View Post
    unless you have a FSLN membership card, you are prohibited from owning a gun
    When did that change?

When did that change?
    after the 2018 mess. Now, you won't go to jail, but they WILL confiscate your firearm(s)
    Even hunters have to be careful now, if the police stops you and you have a firearm of ANY kind, they WILL confiscate it,this has happened to 2 hunters friends from Esteli, same thing with buying a firearm in Nicaragua, you can't ALL sales of firearms have been banned.
    on the other hand, if you have an FSLN carnet(membership card) you are allowed to carry a firearm, I have friends and family from both sides, it's downright messed up,but.... it is,what it is...

Blog Entries

I'm sure a lot of people lost their guns in tragic boating accidents on Lake Apanas.

I'm sure a lot of people lost their guns in tragic boating accidents on Lake Apanas.
    what do I know man, ask your wife,I am, sure you know more than I do!