Thread: Starlink in Nicaragua ---- EVENTUALLY

Default Starlink in Nicaragua ---- EVENTUALLY

The dream has always been there.
    Work remotely on the bluff above the beach in Little Corn

First the stairway to the beach
    then the super fast internet connection
    Then the cyber. I spent some time on Roatan 15 years ago.
    Internet was $12 /hour

$99 a month is definitely affordable.
    I pay $38 for a Tigo celluar router that is slow, with a small data cap.
    We wind up using hotspots on our phones when we run out of data.

When the power goes out,, so does the internet.
    The tower has no backup battery.

Sure, it's better in Managua.
    But who wants to live in Managua ??

There are two, possibly three, limitations right now.
    Starlink doesn't go that far south. Doesn't even reach LA yet.
    The ground station that is tied to your receiver has to be within 500 miles.

Finally, Ortega is NOT going to like the lack of control that comes with an unfiltered internet.
    None of the commies will. Remember the guy who was imprisoned for installing satellite dishes in Cuba ??

The ground station problem is supposed to be eliminated by a system of lasers talking among the satellites
    This is serious StarWars shit,, needing a technological leap or two. Or three.
    That ground station-less technology is at least a couple- three of years away,, as well as the Starlink arrival in Nicaragua.

If Musk pulls this off where others have tried and failed, the revenue will exponentially surpass that from his other ventures.
    So far, he seems to be doing pretty well. He's not making any money , true
    But there is no lack of people giving him the money to try

Then it will just be smuggling in the dish,, as FLY did many years ago to get his satellite internet up and running.
    As I remember,, he cut it in half and glued it back together
    The starlink dish is a lot smaller than that 6 foot monster of FYL's

And hiding it in a palm tree.

Default Re: Starlink in Nicaragua ---- EVENTUALLY

I signed up for Starlink in Nicaragua two years ago, they say it will be available next year but who knows. I have Starlink service in Montana and it's awesome, 300Mbps down/200 up, very low latency.
    ETA: my ground station IPs have shown up as far away as Ohio to Seattle so I think they can go farther than 500 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by billbudsocket View Post
    I signed up for Starlink in Nicaragua two years ago, they say it will be available next year but who knows. I have Starlink service in Montana and it's awesome, 300Mbps down/200 up, very low latency.

Wheewie! I'm getting hot. I don't even know what 300 mbps would look like.
    Definitely stream Netflix.
    No more 720 dpi Claro dish ? I won't even mention the programming.

Did you see my post about watching old Dragnet shows? Similar production values, except the announcers are fatter

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

And the whole scheme may turn into a pumpkin if the new heavy lift rocket does not get the bugs worked out Re: the video I popped up in the youtube section about a month back. |

It is one of the Lynch pins for easy living on Manitoulin.

I am betting that Telecor finds some roadblock for full up legal Nica installs but do imagine a nomad based config driven into Nicaragua would work quite well.
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

It likely won't work in unapproved locations. The dishes are geo-locked to your service address. If you move the dish someplace and don't update the service address, it no longer works.

Blog Entries

It likely won't work in unapproved locations. The dishes are geo-locked to your service address. If you move the dish someplace and don't update the service address, it no longer works.
    Currently yes - Mostly because of the currrent beta phase and lack of satellite to satellte hand off but a big part of Elon's plan is for 15 to 20% of the subscription base to be "Digital Nomads"

Currently the radius that people on line have quoted is a 40 to 50mi circle.

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Currently yes - Mostly because of the currrent beta phase and lack of satellite to satellte hand off but a big part of Elon's plan is for 15 to 20% of the subscription base to be "Digital Nomads"

Currently the radius that people on line have quoted is a 40 to 50mi circle.

A big crowd that is really looking forward to Starlink are the sailors,, world cruisers.

Unless you have the really big bucks,, internet is rare and slow on the open water.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KeyWestPirate View Post
    A big crowd that is really looking forward to Starlink are the sailors,, world cruisers.

Unless you have the really big bucks,, internet is rare and slow on the open water.
    My Best Friend been sailing around the World last 5 yrs, Home Port is North of Seattle they anchor the boat in the cove in front of their house. They got the Starlink Beta at home.

Boat and them got stuck in New Zealand during Covid, left the Boat and came home, Boat about to get loaded in Auckland to arrive in Ensanada. next month.

They use Sat sort of shit on open water but hoping can make the Starlink Work.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post
    My Best Friend been sailing around the World last 5 yrs, Home Port is North of Seattle they anchor the boat in the cove in front of their house. They got the Starlink Beta at home.

Boat and them got stuck in New Zealand during Covid, left the Boat and came home, Boat about to get loaded in Auckland to arrive in Ensanada. next month.

They use Sat sort of shit on open water but hoping can make the Starlink Work.
    Do they use the Starlink Beta much and how do they like it? Am wondering if it really is available 24/7 continuously.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Do they use the Starlink Beta much and how do they like it? Am wondering if it really is available 24/7 continuously.

In all of the beta areas it is 24/7 coverage BUT there is a 1 to 30 second hand over glitch that seems to happen every couple hours - That was information from Sept of this year.

Blog Entries

They have lived all over and had Great Internet in places like Singapore. They say is ok, better than phone Hot Spots they were using, not ideal but is internet..

I will ask them if has gotten any better.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

I was checking out this satellite tracking site http://stuffin.space/ and found there are Starlink satellites already passing over Nicaragua, such as this one for example... http://stuffin.space/?intldes=2021-017N

Blog Entries

I was checking out this satellite tracking site http://stuffin.space/ and found there are Starlink satellites already passing over Nicaragua, such as this one for example... http://stuffin.space/?intldes=2021-017N

A link off of the starlink site can give you a real time location of all satellites that will pass over a specific spot and also shows the deployment of the satellites as they are released from the launch vehical. I think the current rocket is limited to 6 or 8 satellite at a time - The new rocket is something like 20 to 30 units per pop.

===Edit===

Here it is - The honeycombs are the current active cells in Beta - The "lines" are the satellites currently entering service.

https://satellitemap.space/

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    A link off of the starlink site can give you a real time location of all satellites that will pass over a specific spot and also shows the deployment of the satellites as they are released from the launch vehical. I think the current rocket is limited to 6 or 8 satellite at a time - The new rocket is something like 20 to 30 units per pop.

===Edit===

Here it is - The honeycombs are the current active cells in Beta - The "lines" are the satellites currently entering service.

https://satellitemap.space/

I had a HughesNet system installed at my place in KeyWest, even went so far as to get HughsNet installer certification.
    Bought an $800 BirdDog satellite finder.

At the time it was more about being able to talk to clients,
    from Honduras at the time and having a US number they could call.

The latency was such that you had to talk,, wait,, talk,, wait.
    It wasn't practical.

The biggest problem was,, the company just wasn't interested in that market.

For a while I had a Claro USB modem that connected to a tower in Telpaneca, maybe ten miles north as the crow flew.
    It was everything I needed,, except for the cost. The tower is still there, but the antenna doesn't broadcast in my direction.

Then, I had nothing and had to drive down the hill a couple of klicks to access a signal.
    A couple of years ago,, MoviStar now Tigo, put a tower on top of my mountain.

I'm too close, and too low, but I still get enough of a signal, mostly.
    The tower has no battery backup, so when the community power is out,, there is no signal.

Starlink would really be nice. I can't believe that they don't have a data cap.

https://www.whistleout.com/Internet/Guides/starlink-satellite-internet

Blog Entries

Is this the Tesla guy? I can’t keep my billionaires straight. I’ve seen rumors that there’s going to be a Tesla smartphone soon.

Blog Entries

Yep....the Tesla guy.

Blog Entries

Hmm, Tesla phone, Starlink, should Apple be worried?

I got an email this morning from Starlink... the "Portability" option is now available for $25/mo to be able to move the dish to different locations.

Blog Entries

I got an email this morning from Starlink... the "Portability" option is now available for $25/mo to be able to move the dish to different locations.

Hmmm....that is very interesting news...thanks for posting.
    Wait a minute....any limitations on "moving" or is this a USA only deal? Can you "rove" as in RV or boat?
    What are the details?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Corn Tom View Post
    Hmmm....that is very interesting news...thanks for posting.
    Wait a minute....any limitations on "moving" or is this a USA only deal? Can you "rove" as in RV or boat?
    What are the details?
    It looks like it currently covers all of USA, Canada, Mexico, parts of Chile & Brazil based on this coverage map:
    https://www.starlink.com/map

Yes, you can rove within the coverage areas. I'm assuming Nicaragua is still blocked until/if TELCOR approves.
    here are the email details:

"Starlink is excited to announce Portability as an add-on feature for all Starlink customers. Portability enables customers to temporarily move their Starlink to new locations and receive high-speed internet anywhere where Starlink provides active coverage within the same continent. To see active coverage areas, please view the Starlink Availability Map.

You can enable Portability for $25/month on your account page. Once enabled, Portability will take effect immediately, and you can disable Portability from your account page at any time.

To learn more about Starlink Portability, please read our FAQ page. https://support.starlink.com/

"