Thread: Gardening is Different Here....

Blog Entries

Default Gardening is Different Here....

Using 2 tractors for a 800s/f garden, John Deere to move material, Kubota to spread material as area too tight for the JD. Have tiller for both and an 18", 7hp hand tiller for tight spots.

Another build is also a 2 tractor operation (2 other tractors), it is about 1,000sf.

Home I have a 10,000sf garden and we do it all by hand.

Diesel here $5 gallon, labor there $7 day per man.....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Gardening is Different Here....

Is this for you, or for the farm, or for you to feed the hands on the farm?
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Blog Entries

These gardens are in Oklahoma. The 1 I am working on now I will tend, the other is for a buddy, it is ready to plant in a week or 2.

Mine on the Island right now has cows grazing on it, but would be about time to start planting there as well. Right now is the dry time so would be burning like crazy. They did some chopping on my place last week so imagine has been some burning going on this week. Rains will begin mid May to Mid June.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

I always tell people how beautiful Oklahoma is, but I skip a few minor details, same as when I describe Nica, here is weather, there is politics.

Yesterday we hit 115, been over 100 since mid June, not a drop of rain, winds are whipping this week, grass fires everywhere. My garden is thriving, I have unlimited water, a well that will not run dry, I am watering 18hrs or so a day, be it fruit trees, the medical marijuana, the garden, the yard, every waking hour I have water on something. No one has mowed in 3 weeks or more, except me, I like a nice green lawn.

Garden has been a bit of a failure and the 115 yesterday made plants (well watered plants) melt, never in my life seen Okra melt, yesterday was a 1st. Pulling about 25-30# of cucumbers a week, they are going nuts, got everyone I know making pickles, I get my tithe, dz pint jars arrived yesterday, 6 on Sunday, pantry getting stocked. My few tomatoes are thriving against all odds, most the peppers got pulled up yesterday. Will run tiller this morning, going to replant some of garden in things that may be able to handle 6 more weeks of 100+ heat.

Pulling Peaches, but has required deep soaking every night, 1 of the trees is putting on a 2nd crop, rare under these conditions, Pear tree is loaded like never before and trying to keep it well wetted, not sure about the heat.

I have planted and grown some of the most challenging conditions in the World (200+ inches of rain a yr), this heat may be the biggest challenge.

The garden has been a refuge for lots of small animals, rabbits, mice, and those that eat them, is shade, damp, cooler than anyplace else.

I got a bit of a shock other night, had been messing around garden for 1/2 hr or so, harvesting, had walked by a spot half dz times, before I left was checking my Okra, was bent over looking at the plants, I pulled a few to the side and saw something unsettling, was face to face with a snake, arms distance, was coiled and tail in the air, I eased back and took a deep breathe as I stepped back.

Is Okie and in Okie fashion I went and got the "Judge", Snake suffered not 1 but 2 concussions from the.410. He was a small 1, 55", him next to the 15# of cukes I had just pulled.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

That would make a nice belt!
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

Weather men been throwing us a 10% chance once a week or so, and with this sort of heat pop up storms are not uncommon, week ago to the east of us 1 formed and they got almost 2" of rain. Yesterday I had been out since before daylight (6ish), came inside for coffee about 7 and heard thunder, went out and sure enough, clouds had moved in, hard sprinkle all morning, clouds, doubt we hit 100 all day.

Kinda felt like home, working the garden in the rain. Tilled up lot of garden , pulled weeds, pulled onions, was an enjoyable day. Garden is in a corral that has not been used in ages but soil was about like concrete, still needs a lot of work.
    Ernie K Doe

In South Texas we ain't seen a cloud since the Clinton administration, seems like

Blog Entries

I never really spent much time growing cucumbers and honestly I only grew here as I had fences lined with netting, Shit, I have pulled over 200# re rigging garden this week and going to replant more.

Been low 100's last week and that is actually manageable, the 115 shit, things go to a different level. We nearly lost all their Medical MJ, but I worked on it morning and nt, think going to salvage it, but weed is not my thing so no idea how the stress will play with the finished product, but guessing it will.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The MJ is funny when it gets to legalization, like up here...

One of my Radio Buddies has gone gung ho on it with two tents, the lights, the hydroponics, ventilation outside (for the smell) the entire 9 yards - He gets two and a bit crops a year

Another Radio buddy who is 82 years old, grows the 5 plants allowed (Per person, there is a limit per residence but I do not know what is) in his back yard for his Daughter (Who lives in an apartment.)

A niece is growing her 5 plants and they were on the patio my Sister's place when we went to go visit in June.

4 of our 5 neighbors are smoking up pretty well every night - The Sikhs next door we just need to smell the Masala - I actually like the smell of masala and have a few times the urge to invite myself for dinner.

Our Lettuce is done and the Tomatoes are going gangbusters. We even had 2 plants pop up in the compost bin - The ones in the compost are just blooming so they may not yield until the first frost.

The one ghost pepper plant has one pepper as well.
    Last edited by bill_bly_ca; 07-28-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Blog Entries

Medical MJ legal here and looks like moving toward recreational, and anyone that ever had a head-ache can get a medical card, you can grow your own. Local Yocals all thought they would get rich, growers from California and Colorado moved in, put the locals out of biz, also lot of Asians. TONS of grow equipment on sale for pennies on the dollar.

Last few yrs I have had offers to work in some of the big grow houses, I love to grow shit, just not my thing. But is some amazing technology they use and I visit often.

My Ghost Pepper produced 1 and died.

If recreational does get approved here I am positioned to set up a niche market, I have friends that have moved into the niche in California, and they are smashing it, would be more my speed, is Artisanal, not factory grown weed.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cookshow View Post

If recreational does get approved here I am positioned to set up a niche market, I have friends that have moved into the niche in California, and they are smashing it, would be more my speed, is Artisanal, not factory grown weed.

It is astounding what people pay for MJ marketed with hints of fruits and nuts - For the Fruits and Nuts.

About a year ago Chilo and I tried the gummy bears, just because - She hated it - I am indifferent.. It is not for us.

Blog Entries

I made some gummies that are are pretty good, I don't like weed, the edibles I have made everyone likes, all taste like skunk ass to me. I have had some of the highly refined (& crazy expensive ones), to help with sleep. not a fan, they will knock you out but leave you feeling like shit.

Dispenseries on every corner here.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can't stand potheads after having to live with them in the Army. I suppose less bad than black nationalist junkies for sure but forever whining and stupid.

Pitayas flowered this week, put on a good show. Interesting how the different species flower on different nights.

Serrano chiles are doing fine. Amazing nobody grows them here. Just slightly hotter than jalapenos but with a better taste.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

Blog Entries

My pepper plants been a fail this yr, pulled all up except for 8, 2 of those are Serrano, barely been producing so I throw them in the jars of pickles I am making,

The heat last 2 weeks did some weird shit to the plants, even the Okra that loves heat took a hit. Pulled 10# or so of cukes yesterday and looks like will have enough Black-Eyed Peas for Sunday Dinner, usually feed 10-15 on Sundays.

Have a cooking gig next weekend and told the guy, no way doing BBQ, can't mind a smoker all day in this heat, think will do a fish fry, still hot as Hell but can get it done fast.
    Ernie K Doe

Blog Entries

The Heat and Dry about got everyone's gardens here burned up. My Okra is hammering, 4 Cherry Tomatoes giving loads, a little bit of Black Eyed Peas and Peppers, now prepping for winter.

They had new septic system put in here last week, the Guy left his machines and the keys, said use them. Saturday Night we had 1st real rain since May, and was 3.5", and still raining, I need to dig 2 drainage ditches in the garden with that excavator but am weighing the damage I do moving it to and from, the tracks play hell on turf when wet like this. Guy came this morning and said he would like to leave machines under shed another day or 2, he cannot work in the mud, still there to use.
    Ernie K Doe

Viejo del Foro el duende grande's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Superficially wet year here. Countryside greened up early and crops got off to a good start. Canicula had some rain but what I am seeing is a lot of clouds and daily rain but not much total precipitation. My rain gauge is the rio esteli @ the pan am bridge--dry. Also, the farm upstream from us has a rapid infiltration basin (hole in the ground) that helps drain the fields quicker after a rain. I cannot remember it ever being bone dry.
    All of this does not mean we will not get flooded in October, but right now it looks like a dry year with green trim.

2 cases of dengue in the neighborhood and minsa is sending spray trucks at night.

"Support mental health or I'll break your head"

Covid was an intelligence test and we flunked.

It's not like it has been in the past. The river was often over the bridge in Condega,, and routinely took it out.

They dug down to the bedrock on the east side and put in a solid concrete footing for the pilings and so far,, it has not washed out.

But yes,, it's much wetter than it was last year and the year before,, but nothing like it has been in the past.

Based on my limited knowledge,, I suspect that the rain intensity will increase through 2024 or 25, and then cycle into the drier conditions we just left.

TRN needs an in house weatherman

Will those girls who used to do the TV weather in bikinis ever come back?
    If they do,, they will probably be all transgender or some other flavor of NB

A friend in MGA just got over dengue,, a nasty experience.