Thread: Biogas Nicaragua

Blog Entries

Default Biogas Nicaragua

The road from Diriamba to the coast is in poor shape, but if you bear with it for about a half hour, driving past two quarries for piedra cantera, you'll reach the Reserva Ecologia Rancho Guadalupe. There you will find Humberto Solorzano and his team of engineers, who are solving energy problems for farmers, and his enthusiasm alone for the project tells me it will succeed.

The previous evening, my father in law asked if I wanted to see a bio digestor. The subject of cow manure doesn't readily lend itself to dinner conversation, but it was just us at the Casa Blanca Chinese restaurant outside Jinotepe, and this is the kind of thing guys talk about. I said, "sure," and the next morning we set off in the chilly rain to see the project.

We had just missed one of the M.I.T. researchers who has been tinkering with it, but Rice University Architecture student Robert Crawford told me all about it. Blending applied biology, mechanical engineering, and low-tech materials for Nica availability, Humberto and his crew are close to having the prototype ready for testing. This is a modest contraption of pipes, tubes, and valves, and when they have the kinks worked out they will be able to shovel forty pounds of manure and food waste in one end, let the anaerobic process do its thing, and at the other end light up a stove and cook with methane gas.

"We want to give people alternatives to burning wood and cutting down trees," Humberto says. Other worthy goals include energy independence and creating an industry to employ and motivate Nicaraguans.

The working farm at Rancho Guadalupe has milk cows, and the young volunteers from the surrounding area learn farming skills as well as alternate energy concepts with a solar cell prowering the lights of the farm. Humberto struck a deal with Enitel to get a cell tower and internet service in exchange for a parcel of the land.

The crew hopes to have the prototype bio-digestor working later this year, and then offer the design to farmers. The size of the chambers can theoretically be tuned to the number of cows a farm has, so it will be flexible.

They are also developing a low-tech storage and pressure vessel for the gas, involving weights pressing down on an inner tube. Another project involves adapting steel barrels to be bio-digestor chambers. Nica engineering and M.I.T. science could be a match made in heaven.

To see about getting your own bio-digestor, call Humberto Solorzano (he speaks perfect English and Spanish) at 864-4086 or 471-2154. Or take a drive out to the Ranch.

Biogas Nicaragua
    Reserva Ecologia
    Rancho Guadalupe
    Km 59 Carretera a Casares
    Diriamba, Nicaragua
    biogas(a)mit.edu

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow John, you've been on the ball... Nice report..THX
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default Very nice looking reactor

I have been planning on making one for a while. That design is very interesting.
    There is so much spoiled fruit,peels and other digestible material laying around, it seems like a great source of cooking fuel.

Default is that....

your father in law in the picture, the fisherman?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Blog Entries

Yes, that´s him. Recreational fisherman. Or should I say Catcherman, after the 37 big ones he and his son caught at SJDS.

Default good for him!

i am going to take him up on that offer to go catching, not fishing.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Default Re: Biogas Nicaragua

how many uses can you get out of this kinda fuel?

Blog Entries

Down LCT's way, they're using biogas from your toilet to power homes, or thqt's the plan anyway.

http://tampa.cbslocal.com/2011/09/27...nerated-power/

Blog Entries

I saw a house in Boca del Toros Panama that they were building totally off the grid. Solar and wind with gas range and fridge, but the lights in the bathroom were somehow run from the waste in the composting toilet. Very interesting concept.
    It's all part of the adventure!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    The road from Diriamba to the coast is in poor shape, but if you bear with it for about a half hour, driving past two quarries for piedra cantera, you'll reach the Reserva Ecologia Rancho Guadalupe. There you will find Humberto Solorzano and his team of engineers, who are solving energy problems for farmers, and his enthusiasm alone for the project tells me it will succeed.

The previous evening, my father in law asked if I wanted to see a bio digestor. The subject of cow manure doesn't readily lend itself to dinner conversation, but it was just us at the Casa Blanca Chinese restaurant outside Jinotepe, and this is the kind of thing guys talk about. I said, "sure," and the next morning we set off in the chilly rain to see the project.

We had just missed one of the M.I.T. researchers who has been tinkering with it, but Rice University Architecture student Robert Crawford told me all about it. Blending applied biology, mechanical engineering, and low-tech materials for Nica availability, Humberto and his crew are close to having the prototype ready for testing. This is a modest contraption of pipes, tubes, and valves, and when they have the kinks worked out they will be able to shovel forty pounds of manure and food waste in one end, let the anaerobic process do its thing, and at the other end light up a stove and cook with methane gas.

"We want to give people alternatives to burning wood and cutting down trees," Humberto says. Other worthy goals include energy independence and creating an industry to employ and motivate Nicaraguans.

The working farm at Rancho Guadalupe has milk cows, and the young volunteers from the surrounding area learn farming skills as well as alternate energy concepts with a solar cell prowering the lights of the farm. Humberto struck a deal with Enitel to get a cell tower and internet service in exchange for a parcel of the land.

The crew hopes to have the prototype bio-digestor working later this year, and then offer the design to farmers. The size of the chambers can theoretically be tuned to the number of cows a farm has, so it will be flexible.

They are also developing a low-tech storage and pressure vessel for the gas, involving weights pressing down on an inner tube. Another project involves adapting steel barrels to be bio-digestor chambers. Nica engineering and M.I.T. science could be a match made in heaven.

To see about getting your own bio-digestor, call Humberto Solorzano (he speaks perfect English and Spanish) at 864-4086 or 471-2154. Or take a drive out to the Ranch.

Biogas Nicaragua
    Reserva Ecologia
    Rancho Guadalupe
    Diriamba, Nicaragua
    biogas(a)mit.edu

I would really like to know if this digester is still working, or if it was abandoned. The Biogas Nicaragua site is up, but no responses. If it's still working, I would like some kind of contact with whoever has it, now. I am trying to make a biogas and biofertilizer design.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jonh View Post
    (he speaks perfect English and Spanish) at 864-4086 or 471-2154. Or take a drive out to the Ranch.

Biogas Nicaragua
    Reserva Ecologia
    Rancho Guadalupe
    Diriamba, Nicaragua
    biogas(a)mit.edu

Try the numbers - Since this has been written the Nica dialing convention has changed.. (Assumed US or Canada call) 011-505-2 (Land Line) or 011-505-8 (cell) will get you the phone number to dial...

Also the email stated - the (a) = @...

There was a post from Sir Jonh visit in 2010 IIRC where he visited the reactor if I Recall Correctly...
    ==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bly_ca View Post
    Try the numbers - Since this has been written the Nica dialing convention has changed.. (Assumed US or Canada call) 011-505-2 (Land Line) or 011-505-8 (cell) will get you the phone number to dial...

Also the email stated - the (a) = @...

There was a post from Sir Jonh visit in 2010 IIRC where he visited the reactor if I Recall Correctly...
    Thank you! I will try to contact Senor Humberto Solarzano, with the number change.. There has been no reply from the Biogas Nicaragua website, or from MIT.

I am in Texas, was in Nicaragua as a child, while my grandfather was a Headmaster at a school and my grandmother taught and tutored English as a second language at the American School, in Nicaragua (AEN), about 40 years ago. I still remember the beautiful mountain forests, the friendly people and the beautiful villages. I wish I still understood the language. Too many years without using it.

Jeff
    Cedar Creek, TX.

Blog Entries

Believe it or not they are building one here on Corn Island. I cannot find out much reliable info about it though or who is behind it.

So far they have built several outdoor toilets amongst clusters of houses, the toilet empties into a holding tank. Supposedly there is or will be (hopefully before the tanks all fill) a truck that comes and pumps them out then takes the waste to the biogester or whatever it is. I believe this is going on near our dump but have not been up to look yet.

If I ever find anyone that knows the scoop on it I will post the info.
    ‎"You know what you say when people tell you you can't do something? Fool, shut your mouth up!"
    Ernie K Doe

Last time I was on Big Corn the Ferreteria up the hill from Long Bay was selling a home use bio-digester. Probably good enough to get some cooking gas from and maybe a light for a few hours. Wish I'd checked the price, might be more cost effective to build one.

Blog Entries

Yeah, an 8 year old thread. I barely remember the biogas project, no clue if it's still around. Sorry. I've heard the road is better, though.

Active TRN Member

The digester at Rancho Guadalupe stopped working years ago. I don´t know why.

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    The digester at Rancho Guadalupe stopped working years ago. I don´t know why.
    Indigestion perhaps?
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

TRN Luster in Chief Jimmy Carter's Avatar
    the happy home, with trees and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile

Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain John Wayne View Post
    Indigestion perhaps?
    Outta gas?
    I've looked on many women with lust. I've committed adultery in my heart many times. Maybe if I had gotten laid, I wouldn't be such a nincompoop?

Active TRN Member

When I visited this facility some years ago they told me they were having ongoing problems because the monitoring gauges inserted into the apparatus were being blown out of place by the pressure of the gas build-up. I suspect this is the reason behind the failure of the project but that is just conjecture on my part.

TRN Science officer bill_bly_ca's Avatar
    North of the border, south of the artic Circle (Ontario)
    Blog Entries

==================================================
    Dude !!!.... Its a Canal !!! Can you Dig it ??

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeh View Post
    When I visited this facility some years ago they told me they were having ongoing problems because the monitoring gauges inserted into the apparatus were being blown out of place by the pressure of the gas build-up. I suspect this is the reason behind the failure of the project but that is just conjecture on my part.

I got into this a bit two years ago. Cleaning up the gas is a bit of a problem, it's got a lot of CO2 and H2S (hydrogen sulfide). If you're just running a cook top and avoid breathing the gas, OK, but it's really corrosive, and the H2S is very poisonous.

Gas can be scrubbed and the CO2 pulled off, but it starts to get complicated if you want to do it right (as opposed to just a demonstration toy to make a pot of coffee with).

Then, you have to store it some how.

Hippies in the 60's pioneered low pressure compressors and truck inner tubes.
    I looked at surplus weather balloons as a possible storage solution. Compressing it to a liquid would require a $$ multi-thousand compressor, and unless it was well scrubbed that H2S will form sulfuric acid and your compressor won't last long.. ..

When you start adding it all up, you can probably buy chimbos of propane into the forseeable future for much less than setting up a functional digester.

Which is too bad, as there is plenty of raw material around to feed the digester with.

Few companies that make simple units. Plenty of how-to videos. Not sure the make of the one I saw on Big Corn but they are in Nica.

Here's one example- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Littl...05204106235893

In case it ever gets below freezing in Nica.