coastal area is constrained. Street crime and petty theft are a
    common problem in this area. Lack of adequate police coverage has
    resulted in these areas being used by drug traffickers and other
    criminal elements.

http://managua.usembassy.gov/august_10_2007.html
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable

Default i will...

pray for the victim....
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jez... when it has happend here it is uasally some young thing that goes about nearly naked wayving a flag "here I am boy's come and get it"

Lets be sencable about this, provacation is 9/10's of the law....

Alone in a remote area, almost naked... We'll...
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Default i am glad....

my little 5 year old is taking tae kwon do. she got her black belt in tiger cubs and is now starting on her next set of belts.

i don't care if the woman is naked, until she says yes, no ticket, no entrance. the rapist needs to be shot.
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

here it is usually some young thing that goes about nearly naked waving a flag "here I am boy's come and get it"

Lets be sensible about this, provocation is 9/10's of the law....

Alone in a remote area, almost naked... We'll...
    I agree, JW! What the heck is wrong with females these days? Good luck finding classy women in today's world, most seem to think the only way to get attention is with T and A. Sad, so so sad!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Default i agree some women

are less than lady like, but.... it doesn't give men.....

Active TRN Member dixietraveller's Avatar

Default I agree!

jimrichard averred

i agree some women are less than lady like, but.... it doesn't give men.....
    I'll agree with you and the feminists on that point. *I see nothing wrong with a woman dressing somewhat "provocatively' (if not too extreme for a party - but not for work!). And even if she does dress too provocatively for the street, there is still no excuse for rape.

At the same time, I'm sorry that the concept of being a "gentleman" is considered old-fashioned. *And a good dose of common sense would help to eliminate many if not most instances of date-rape.
    O quantum est in rebus inane! / A palabras necias, oídos sordos

Default holy crap, batman.....

now someone is throwing around a legal term. please remember, i am a simple country lawyer. very simple and barely a lawyer.

Default and i hate

to be on the side of the feminists....but the rapist being shot....law and order types like consequences...even if that suggestion was a little draconian.

i have been to france, and a lot of pretty ladies on the beach did not have thier tops on. i didn't stop to talk to them, 1. they would not have given me the time of day and 2. i would not have taken them home to meet momma.

common sense is not too common. hence my desire to get my daughter all kinds of training (moral, street smarts, and tae kwon do training.)

Default They

might have given you the time of day if you could have looked them in the eyes instead of looking at their watch.

Blog Entries

Default Re: They

Quote Originally Posted by bradley40550
    might have given you the time of day if you could have looked them in the eyes instead of looking at their watch.
    I like that...Looking at their watch... You're a riot Bradley....
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Little Corn Travel Advisory

Quote Originally Posted by marlies
    Security Concerns on Little Corn Island

Recently, an American citizen was assaulted and raped while on
    vacation in Little Corn Island. American citizens have previously
    been the victims of sexual assault on this island and other beaches
    in the country. The Embassy recommends traveling in groups when in
    isolated areas. Single travelers should exercise special caution
    while traveling in the Corn Islands and other remote areas of the
    country.

As noted in a January 2007 warden message, the Regional Security
    Officer has placed most of the North and South Atlantic Autonomous
    Regions (RAAN and RAAS) off limits for personal travel of Embassy
    personnel because of security concerns. Given the area's
    geographical isolation, the Embassy's ability to provide emergency
    services to U.S. citizens who choose to travel in the Caribbean
    coastal area is constrained. Street crime and petty theft are a
    common problem in this area. Lack of adequate police coverage has
    resulted in these areas being used by drug traffickers and other
    criminal elements.

http://managua.usembassy.gov/august_10_2007.html
    Well, I have been trying to get some first hand information on this incident on Little Corn Island and the following comes from an LCI resident. I think this response puts things into a very good perspective.

" Dear Tom,

The answer to your question is, there was attempted rape and a couple of thefts from the same person. They did catch him the next day and the police took him off the island. This was not a local who committed the crime, it was an outside Nicaraguan that came to the island to do contract work for one of the locals.

The island is just like any where (else) we come from but on a smaller scale (and) crime exists every where. For the crime that we have had this year, more happens within one hour or so in the town where you are from.

When on vacation you should also ways travel with caution, this young lady was wandering the island by herself in a two piece swim suit that barely covered any skin. I know this does not justify what he did but this is life. So please make sure you do not travel alone and try not travel in the bush at night and make sure you stay in a safe and secure accomodation where you and your belongings can be safe.

If you have any more questions please do not hesitate to contact me. This is still one of the safest place to come visit and stay. People forget the scale of the island and it is a very small portion of there neigbourhood they come from.

Thank you
    Glynis Alaniz"

Glynis manages the Hotel Sunshine on Little Corn Island.
    Life's different here ... It's a whole 'nother pace.

Blog Entries

That is the whole thing in a nutshell Tom, these single women come down here, Limon Grove included, wanting to be so independant and yet so ignorant of being in a founteer area that they think a 2 to three minute response from the police is what prevails here...

I am not speaking ill of the dead here, (Limon Grove) But she was not only warned by friends, that it was a bad neighborhood, but saw it herself, in having problems with the drunks, etc, in front of her home, Jez, she had a little money in the bank and could have easily lived in a nicer area...With a roomate.

So now I am expected to get on the band wagon and shout about the police, oh how bad it is this happened, etc in a wild area?

I will NOT get my simpthies stroked by a person dumb enough to put herself in a situation that is just stupid, talk about Dumb and Dumber, this is the Dumbist...

Sorry Girl, you asked for it....

And no law in Nicaragua will protect you from stupidity....

Please those of you that would to truly enjoy a pristine area.... Don't go alone, How many times has this been put on these websites?.... MANY...

John Wayne