Thread: Never A Dull Moment...

TRN's fiesty redhead catahoula fan's Avatar

Default Never A Dull Moment...

The plan was a simple one, visit the finca to get a video of the progress. It's rainy season which means we'd be walking in at least a mile. So I packed my colorful basket chock full of goodies, bug spray, 50 SPF sun block, camera, bag for guacimo bark, and stuffed socks in the big rubber boots I donned due to Roger's warnings of swampy conditions.

Pretty stylin' footwear, huh?
    A coyolito staff assisted my way, but I almost lost a boot in the muck three times.

The trip in was a bit strenuous as I'm outa shape, but boy was the view worth it. Here's the Mombacho volcano from the smaller finca.

The gutters, made by our builder from sheet metal, are installed and we're finally able to give the rain water collection system a trial run so we can work out any kinks before our move in date.

There's no building going on now as the roads are too wet for delivery trucks, but Roger's keeping the workers busy with machete work, something they love. The grass and weeds grow as fast as they can cut them down and it's clear we'll either need to get goats, power tools, or hire two full time employees just to keep the place from getting overgrown. Heck, maybe we'll need all three!

Any trip to the finca is an opportunity to stock up on herbals and Roger harvested more guacimo bark from a tree in the front of the property. This tree is good for a number of ailments and we use it for everything from soothing skeeter bites to killing dog mange to regrowing hair.

Got a few nice shots of the jicaro trees on the west side of the finca, then it was time to head home across the muddy fields.

The workers seemed a little bummed at no beers this Friday, but when Roger promised doble proxima semana (double next week), they were all smiles. Made much better time going out than coming in, but Big Red gave us a little more trouble on the trip home.
    Her right front brake assembly came loose and we screeched to a halt on the Pan Am Hwy. I was a bit white-knuckled, but Roger wasn't even phased. He removed the tire, threw the assembly in the back seat, and we continued on our way. By down shifting and using the engine as brakes, we made it home without a single taxi or bus pulling out in front of us. A few Toñas that evening helped sooth my nerves; thank goodness for Nicaraguan cerveza!
    "Patience is a virtue, but persistence to the point of success is a blessing."

Viejo del Foro Just Plain John Wayne's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Beautiful, just beautiful, and the finca too!
    To be called a "Has Been" I must surmise, is much Greater than to be called a "Nevah Been"... JW...

Blog Entries

Grows hair - on the chest? On the head? Is this a Nicaraguan herbal secret you're going to market and make millions off of?

Semilla de jicaro, by the way, is one of my favorite drinks. I've never seen what the actual thing looks like. Is one mature, the other not?

Default Yes,

we're gonna make gazillions! :lol:

The jicaro pic on the left is the flower and the one on the right is the immature fruit. I've got a pic somewhere of the inside of these things. I LOVE the alcoholic drink called Jicor that's made from these things. The locals don't make it, some Germans came here and figured out how to make the sweetest, smoothest liquor from the pulp. Gotta be careful though, it really sneaks up on ya'!

Default really nice

pics CF..Congrats to you and yours..one day i will live the same dream you are living!! Beautiful finca!..im hoping to get out there sometime next week ( depending on the airfare ) want to sink my mouth into "maraculla" ( passionfruit ). I heard they are in season now, at least that is what i was told.

Default Re: Yes,

Quote Originally Posted by catahoula fan
    we're gonna make gazillions! :lol:

The jicaro pic on the left is the flower and the one on the right is the immature fruit. I've got a pic somewhere of the inside of these things. I LOVE the alcoholic drink called Jicor that's made from these things. The locals don't make it, some Germans came here and figured out how to make the sweetest, smoothest liquor from the pulp. Gotta be careful though, it really sneaks up on ya'!
    is this "jicor," sold outside of nicaragua? maybe y'all should make that instead of beer? who is the beautiful girl at the top? if it's you, roger's a lucky guy!
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

Default the down spout

the down spout at the barn, does it go into a cistern? if so, how many gallons?
    All this for a flag? Michelle Obama http://hotair.com/archives/2011/11/0...our-years-ago/

the down spout at the barn, does it go into a cistern? if so, how many gallons?
    The down spout goes into the piedras canteras pila (left side of stable pic), and it'll hold 20,000 gallons. We've still got some tweaking to do to the system, filters to put in and such, but for now all is working well.

is this "jicor," sold outside of nicaragua? maybe y'all should make that instead of beer? who is the beautiful girl at the top? if it's you, roger's a lucky guy!
    I don't know if Jicor is sold outside Nicaragua or not. The only place I've found it for sale here is at La Bavaria at the Gourmet Mirador near Km 8.5 Carretera Masaya.

Roger much prefers making beer as that's what we drink most. Earlier today, he was working on his new project, turning an old fridge into a drying box for malted grains like sorghum. He picked up an old, ugly thing for 100 cords in Jinotepe and is installing a small fan today. Tomorrow's project is putting in a small electric burner, then shelves for grains. Josh brought us some good thermometers on his last visit, one of which will go in this fridge to control the temp for slow drying.

Who's the girl? Silly, you've met me! Actually, I'm the lucky one to have Roger. He puts up with me soooo well!

Default sounds like things are going well....

get it? cistern - well, ok not a good joke. had your builder done a cistern or is this something roger is figuring out? and you and roger are evenly matched! you are both one of a kind, in a good way!

is this something roger is figuring out?
    Yes, Roger designed the thing and poured the floor, then had the builder do the rest. The builder has never built anything like what he's workin' on for us, but he tackles each project with enthusisam and is a fast learner. He'll do good for ya'.